Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

TBeats posted:

i took a pretty solid left hook during the clinch drill.

I drat near spat out my mouthguard and another guy lost a tooth. This was with full-time instructors at Knox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The only thing I can remember volunteering for while in was to get choked out by the roided out instructor during combatives.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

SwampDonkey posted:

The only thing I can remember volunteering for while in was to get choked out by the roided out instructor during combatives.

i did that and started like taking notes while passed out in some sleep walking manner (with my hand mimicking writing on a notepad) from my obviously psychotic PSG that got fired for being psychotic and then the next day the 1sg said not to do that because it wasn't army strong or whatever it was crazy

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

You'd think he would have commended you for being a good student. I sure as hell didn't take notes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The one time I did the cinch drill, it was against my previous PSG. He had no bones about socking me in the face and gave me one really good wallop right off the bat that knocked me sideways. After I got through, I dragged him to the ground and then had to do it all over again. :saddowns:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The one good thing about my squad in Iraq was that my NCOIC was a level 4 and taught classes every week on Balad. I went through twice because on the last day some overzealous redneck hip tossed me and I landed on my arm with metal and screws and tweaked it.

The good news was I got to walk around JBB without my weapon for two weeks. Felt like I was in the air force.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oh yeah I hosed up bad during the Clinch Drill. I went hard in my first time ready to go. I never got hit with my guard down but that doesn't mean they didn't land punches in other drills. Dude broke my guard and went straight to my face so many times.

The people who hit back are the worst. My old NCOIC had mad boxing poo poo too so you'd see him switch from jab jab to throwing his hips into a body blow.

The best loving one though was my squad leader, who was a shitbag, decide he was gonna stop and give up. He walked away and turned around to say something about how he used to be a guard or some poo poo and wham! Right on the loving money button. I never laughed so hard.

NCOIC dude would make me scream by doing all types of weird poo poo on me in ways I never thought possible. But he taught me some legit poo poo that helps in fights or scuffles. Like pulling up one someone's nose so they give you their neck for a rear naked choke or a guillotine. I'd gently caress up a lot of people in the guard because I'd sleeve choke them or Americana instead of arm bar.

Those are all the terms I remember.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I learned that being in a fight sucks and that I can run for longer than I can fight.

Also that a broom stick is a better weapon than my hands.

Combatives did help me as a security officer once.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

I learned that being in a fight sucks and that I can run for longer than I can fight.

Also that a broom stick is a better weapon than my hands.

Combatives did help me as a security officer once.

This is also true. People actively looking for fights are idiots.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

DoktorLoken posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha :downsowned: :vince:

Uh... If you got discharged on Feb. 28th, doesn't that mean they can't give you orders anymore? I'm just a lazy civilian, but I would think that would rate a "smdftb" at the very least.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
By the time I was voluntold for level 1 I had sat on my hands through probably half a dozen level 2 classes in case somebody got knocked out (2), got their face/hand/etc split open (12ish?), or managed to make a finger or toe go in a direction it wasn't supposed to (3). Last couple times I got bored enough to be the teaching dummy (instructor was a really cool, chill dude) or rolled with someone to even numbers out, so I had fun tying people into pretzels throughout my class. Last day we did at the fight house at Drum where all the level 2 and up poo poo was taught, so "luckily" we got to do clinch drills and all the other fun stuff with a bunch of douchebag level 2 students. My guy (who I had 4" and 50lbs on) managed to tag me while we did close the distance, decent right hook that was unexpected enough that he got another couple of hits in that I only know of from secondhand accounts. Right about the time he's getting his jabs in, my brain hits the "gently caress it" button and I just wrap him up and drive him into the (padded) wall hard enough to crack the drywall underneath near to the ceiling and the dude drops like a sack of potatoes as he tries to get his air back.

I wonder if that crack is still there on the front wall.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preechr posted:

Uh... If you got discharged on Feb. 28th, doesn't that mean they can't give you orders anymore? I'm just a lazy civilian, but I would think that would rate a "smdftb" at the very least.

They rescinded it. They're assholes but they said the magic words that take it all back. I'd still try to not show up at a minimum.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Does anybody have any insight on how people get picked for PCS orders? Is it random by SSN? By the platoon you're currently in?

I ask because several months before I went to Korea I went to a different platoon. Had I never gone to that different platoon (same battalion, different company) would I have still gotten those PCS orders?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I wasn't AD but I'm guessing probably no. Isn't it HRC or IMCOM that determines PCS location? Seems unlikely that the platoon or even company you're assigned to would have much effect on that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty sure it's just needs of the Army. A lot of guys just came down on PCS orders for Benning because the school houses there are understaffed. BN can have some effect but that seems to be reserved solely for PSG and above and if branch is trying to do something detrimental to that NCO's career. Like branch trying to send a brand new E7 to be an instructor somewhere instead of letting him get PSG time.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

TBeats posted:

Does anybody have any insight on how people get picked for PCS orders? Is it random by SSN? By the platoon you're currently in?

I ask because several months before I went to Korea I went to a different platoon. Had I never gone to that different platoon (same battalion, different company) would I have still gotten those PCS orders?

Units report manning shortages to post-level, which get coded according to duty requirements, then sent up to HRC. HRC maintains a database of army personnel, each with qualification, exemptions, rank, and TOS codes attached. When determining assignments, the system matches up open slots at a post with eligible people in the system, ordered by TOS. There's some degree of human auditing before final assignment, but I couldn't tell you how much.

There's ways around the randomness of the system, like the requisition page on ASK, or asking your branch manager super nicely for a specific assignment, but it's still mostly up to needs of the army.

So no, HRC doesn't give a single poo poo about what platoon you were in, your name was already in the pipe.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 4, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Suntan Boy posted:

Units report manning shortages to post-level, which get coded according to duty requirements, then sent up to HRC. HRC maintains a database of army personnel, each with qualification, exemptions, rank, and TOS codes attached. When determining assignments, the system matches up open slots at a post with eligible people in the system, ordered by TOS. There's some degree of human auditing before final assignment, but I couldn't tell you how much.

There's ways around the randomness of the system, like the requisition page on ASK, or asking your branch manager super nicely for a specific assignment, but it's still mostly up to needs of the army.

So no, HRC doesn't give a single poo poo about what platoon you were in, your name was already in the pipe.

thanks for the info. it's something i have been curious about for a few years.

and basically, had i been a shittier soldier i may not have gotten orders to korea.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

No worries, it's one of those things you pick up as you go along. In a nutshell, unless you're switching units at a BDE level or higher, the focus of an official ”go to prison” investigation, or a super special snowflake with limited assignment possibilities, you can start packing around the 2 1/2-year mark.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Update on my soldier.

His grandmother/adoptive mother passed away. He gave the DNR order when she went under and the next day she passed. Gave the update to my PSG and his response was "Good! Now he can make it to NTC! Like, not good that she died, but good that we don't have to see if we have to give him an extension or anything!" Now we're going to NTC in April, but as soon as we come back my BDE is going Mech and all us 11B are PCS'ing or being moved to another unit within 3ID. (I'm in 2BCT the light BDE which is going Mech this summer. Everyone is coming down on orders that has 2 years or more and we were told it's all cav scouts and abrams. Currently my BN is attached to 1st BCT)

I already talked to my Soldier's wife about calling her congressman cause I'm tired of that POS. Especially since I'm suppose to give $25 for some assclown I don't even like's plaque when he didn't want to give 1 to 2 dollars for flowers for my soldier's mom's funeral.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Kaliber posted:

Update on my soldier.

His grandmother/adoptive mother passed away. He gave the DNR order when she went under and the next day she passed. Gave the update to my PSG and his response was "Good! Now he can make it to NTC! Like, not good that she died, but good that we don't have to see if we have to give him an extension or anything!" Now we're going to NTC in April, but as soon as we come back my BDE is going Mech and all us 11B are PCS'ing or being moved to another unit within 3ID. (I'm in 2BCT the light BDE which is going Mech this summer. Everyone is coming down on orders that has 2 years or more and we were told it's all cav scouts and abrams. Currently my BN is attached to 1st BCT)

I already talked to my Soldier's wife about calling her congressman cause I'm tired of that POS. Especially since I'm suppose to give $25 for some assclown I don't even like's plaque when he didn't want to give 1 to 2 dollars for flowers for my soldier's mom's funeral.

PM me a name. See you in April.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kaliber posted:

Update on my soldier.

army as gently caress

if you're a lurker and reading this please understand that this is not abnormal this is SOP

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Suntan Boy posted:

PM me a name. See you in April.

Isn't there a reg that caps individual contributions for PCS plaques or gifts?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it's like $5/per individual I fought this battle before lol. My recruiting unit tried to make us give like $5 a week and then gave some dude some like $400 poo poo and I basically argued that bullshit until the NCO fund went away

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

TBeats posted:

and basically, had i been a shittier soldier i may not have gotten orders to korea.
My orders out of AIT were for Italy. They changed two to three weeks from graduation to Fort Drum. I later found out it's because my shop at Drum heard they were getting a fresh AIT graduate, so they called a connection in the schoolhouse to see how he was. They got told he was a shitbag, so my shop called branch and requested a change to someone else. I was that someone else. Fort Drum was my punishment for not being a lovely soldier.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
it all fell apart when I asked over a company wide email for a spread sheet or something accounting for where the money went shockingly

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Suntan Boy posted:

asking your branch manager super nicely for a specific assignment

This is good advice. If you don't know who your branch manager is, find out.

And start talking to them. Some of them want to help those who show the initiative.

Kaliber posted:

I already talked to my Soldier's wife about calling her congressman

Nice.

Make sure she understands to NEVER MENTION THAT YOU HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. As a civilian spouse nobody will dare to mess with her.

If the congressional investigation starts you act just as dumbfounded as everyone else.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. Good on you for doing what you can man. It's sad that "leaders" like that are put into PSG positions. Do what you can to make that soldier miss an NTC rotation just to spite the bastard.

Also they tried that "donate this for your award" bullshit on me and I refused to contribute a weekly or paycheck thing. I'm not paying rear end in a top hat tax. In the end, I left with something my two friends got me instead of some luxurious thing like everyone else. I was literally a piece of poo poo for being kicked out of the military and when those two saw how I was being treated, it changed them and how they saw me and he others like me.

Do what you want, but I'd tell them to suck my rear end.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Everybody who left my old unit- from PVT to CC got a plaque when they left, so long as they left on good terms. I told everyone to take their money and have a piss up and lunch instead.

I now regret not getting a dumb little plaque.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I didn't even get a farewell lunch.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I got a "wait, you're still here? I thought you left two weeks ago."

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I played fortunate son on the way out of the gate

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I was in a small career field, but 1. Not being a dick and 2. Dumb luck can take you wondrous places.

5 minute drive to an MWR beach on the actual Italian Riviera. 40 minutes to Florence. Almost all the housing was out in the economy. I rented a room in a loving castle overlooking a vineyard.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In a week I'll have been in country for 4 months. It's been a little over a month since my ex Jody letter'd my rear end and I'm...actually enjoying life? Not being able to call in sick on work ever means that I've gotten bored of saying it's sucks here. Nice watching my bank account get fat as gently caress doing lots of nothin. Gonna keep saving that money, then go back to college when I come home and get paid to get a degree while I chat up girls and get jacked. Took a PT test on 5 hours notice last week and passed with 70s, so I suddenly am going to BLC next month. Hopefully I can pin on 5 before I get back; becoming an NCO in less than 4 years has been a goal of mine. Might as well do well in the Army until my contract runs out, where I either commission and go noble or get the gently caress out because lol doing a second enlisted contract

No it's not 3 am on the MSR. No i haven't been on mission for 6 hours already. Why do you ask

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
By the way, watching the entire country's base exchanges have a dip shortage due to a safety recall has been schadenfreude on a level I can only refer to as blissful. Lol army guys hate life when they can't get their chaw

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

5 in 5 is good depending on your MOS. Some MOS' will have you waiting for years. I got promoted from E4 to E5 automatically thanks to points in my second MOS so it's whatever. It's really not that big g of a deal and people who usually pride themselves as 7 in 7 are either super smart (rare) or complete douchebags.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
5 in 3-4 was pretty standard for 11b when I was in.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

5 in 3-4 was pretty standard for 11b when I was in.

Same. I met one guy who went seven in seven. Six in six isn't uncommon.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Most of the RTB guys I met were 7 in 7.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

As a rule of thumb, combat arms and jobs with relatively high turnover rates will tend to promote faster. At least from what I've seen, 5 in 3 is fairly common for 19D, and that's how I did it. Most of the guys who came in around the time I did and were also worth promoting picked up their 5 at the same time I did. I've seen a few guys with 7 in 7, but that didn't seem to be the norm. The infantry company that we swapped a platoon with in Afghanistan had a 1SG who must have picked up at the minimum TIS/TIG requirements, because he was younger than some guys getting their 6.

e: 5 in 3, not 3 in 3 hurrr

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I did 5 in 3 but then again mongo grunt dumb dumb infantry. Then I got out. At least I wasn't the dumbest infantryman.