Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Any remaining voters, the top 5 is basically locked up at this point if I'm counting on how many voted last poll.

It's a dead heat in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh hey! I voted for... one of those people. You all really like the Ninja crew, huh?

Poor Rinkah, this would've been a decent map for her, but she's going to ride that bench.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Oh hey! I voted for... one of those people. You all really like the Ninja crew, huh?

Poor Rinkah, this would've been a decent map for her, but she's going to ride that bench.

This is just the list of contenders for the 6th cut. The poll shows that people do not, in fact, like the ninjas.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

ajkalan posted:

This is just the list of contenders for the 6th cut. The poll shows that people do not, in fact, like the ninjas.

Oh, I misread that. Thank you.

Go goon mind.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Endorph posted:

of the major fe4 antagonists the only ones like that are manfroy and julius. and julius is literally satan so he has an excuse.

I think FE5 also does a good job of balancing the guys who are evil for the sake of being evil and the guys who are in the Imperial Army for any number of reasons. While the big story of 4 and 5 is pretty black and white, the enemies you fight along that way aren't always so cartoonishly evil. I appreciate the balance of "some of the bad guys aren't actually evil" while still making it clear that you are the good guys defeating the bad guys. I have no idea how it goes in Conquest, but the little we see of Xander makes him seem a lot more interesting than Perfect Hoshidan Family. I can't wait to be disappointed :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly that one convo in FE4 where you find the children's drawings praying for the dark god's revival also makes the central conflict fairly gray, even if manfroy is basically skeletor. It's hard to blame people for not wanting to be oppressed for their religion, and it's suggested that at least part of the reason the cult became so evil to begin with is because they were forced into hiding.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

At the same time, Julian kills children so gently caress him and gently caress Lopto

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Endorph posted:

Honestly that one convo in FE4 where you find the children's drawings praying for the dark god's revival also makes the central conflict fairly gray, even if manfroy is basically skeletor. It's hard to blame people for not wanting to be oppressed for their religion, and it's suggested that at least part of the reason the cult became so evil to begin with is because they were forced into hiding.

Which is sort of moot when the dark god is literally evil personified.
I mean yeah the cultists can be in the gray but the end result is pretty clear cut.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

of the major fe4 antagonists the only ones like that are manfroy and julius. and julius is literally satan so he has an excuse.

The major ones are mostly good especially for an SNES FE, but you spend like 90% of gen 1 and 70% of gen 2 putting down evil assholes. Plus even if arvis is a good villain his theme is still https://youtu.be/bLSqiN9MWqA

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm glad that Mozu's probably getting benched. I'm still mourning Subaki, and Setsuna getting dropped is sad even if she's not too great as a unit.

Also, this is just BR Hard. It's kind of easy. BR Lunatic has some bite early on, but even that fades eventually. It's just a much easier route than CQ and RV.

Basically, this is our best bet to saddle Tae with a garbage team.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Space Bat posted:

At the same time, Julian kills children so gently caress him and gently caress Lopto

Does he? I got the impression it was forced inductions into the cult.

Granted, being a dark mage in FE-land is a mixed bag, because you get sweet powers but also get killed by blue-haired snowflakes by the truckload.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Does he? I got the impression it was forced inductions into the cult.

Granted, being a dark mage in FE-land is a mixed bag, because you get sweet powers but also get killed by blue-haired snowflakes by the truckload.

I believe in FE4 they establish the children taken in the child hunts are forced to kill each other in gladiatorial combat and the survivors get to be inducted into the cult. There's a reason like five missions in FE5 have the side mission "save the drat kids."

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Kaden is another mage killer in a path already littered with ninjas. I still like him though and he's effective at his job.

I'll also echo sentiments of liking Oboro. I particularly like how her supports with Silas end up going.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Obligatum VII posted:

Kaden is another mage killer in a path already littered with ninjas. I still like him though and he's effective at his job.

I'll also echo sentiments of liking Oboro. I particularly like how her supports with Silas end up going.

Kaze is the best mage killer (well, next to Jakob/Felicia), but Saizo/Kagero can be iffy because of their low Spd/Res and HP growths respectively. I guess Setsuna's alright if you reclass her to Ninja, but her Str is already pretty darn poor as is without turning to a class that's even worse at the job.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Supports

Voting will end soon.

Why do you always have to be so stubborn?!

You're an odd duck, Setsuna.

Shouldn't you be barking orders at people?

I need help developing my artistic sense.

lightace
Jul 13, 2016
i honestly love kaden both as a character and a unit. he never fails to become amazing in my playthroughs. :3:

i married him my first playthrough that's how much i like him

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Supports

Why do you always have to be so stubborn?!

Takumi has issues. I bet trying to brush Hinoka off like that is probably the most painful thing he could've done to her short of flat-out dying.

Tae posted:

You're an odd duck, Setsuna.

This support really makes me feel like Setsuna does these things on purpose...

Tae posted:

Shouldn't you be barking orders at people?

I think Azama's in the wrong series and faction, really... I mean, in my experience most protagonist nobles in Fire Emblem are extremely selfless.

Tae posted:

I need help developing my artistic sense.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's amusing that the final spot is a tie between the only magic user and the only axe user.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

CptWedgie posted:

Takumi has issues. I bet trying to brush Hinoka off like that is probably the most painful thing he could've done to her short of flat-out dying.

This support really makes me feel like Setsuna does these things on purpose...

I think Azama's in the wrong series and faction, really... I mean, in my experience most protagonist nobles in Fire Emblem are extremely selfless.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

You have no idea of how many issues Takumi has. He's kind of a massive dick.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

I'm glad that Mozu's probably getting benched. I'm still mourning Subaki, and Setsuna getting dropped is sad even if she's not too great as a unit.

Also, this is just BR Hard. It's kind of easy. BR Lunatic has some bite early on, but even that fades eventually. It's just a much easier route than CQ and RV.

Basically, this is our best bet to saddle Tae with a garbage team.

i hope mozu sees play on at least one path, she's a real cool girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which is sort of moot when the dark god is literally evil personified.
I mean yeah the cultists can be in the gray but the end result is pretty clear cut.
i mean hypothetically worshiping that dude only becomes a bad thing when you're actively seeking to revive him

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

"Groans of increasing discomfort" is the best line in the game. I defy anyone to disagree. :colbert:

I know it's not actually what's going on but it really does look like Azura's plan was to kill him off by inducing a stroke and it's hilarious

Also Oboro really is the best, units that have a good personality while being great mechanically are always welcome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

Ah, Hayato. You're just as short as I imagined.

Hinata is going to BRING IT!

So I've been offending you all my life?

I promise you'll look adorable!

--------------------

Final tally in order of votes for benching: Hinata, Reina, Kaze, Azama, Saizo, Rinkah

There was a surge of Rinkah votes at the last moment.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

C Support

Ah, Hayato. You're just as short as I imagined.

Thus we have the start of a troll war.

Tae posted:

Hinata is going to BRING IT!

Even if you bothered to level Hinata, he'd be statistically incapable of beating any of the other sword users, barring a fluke... which is why he'd probably win anyway, because The Game Says So. It's frustrating when one of your units is allegedly one of the best, but doesn't even begin to live up to their reputation...

Tae posted:

I promise you'll look adorable!

Yes, fashion is Serious Business for Oboro.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Today's party features the return of Takumi and both male ninjas on the bench.

PSkill: Reciprocity-When a unit uses a healing staff on the user, that unit has their HP recovered by half the same amount

Even-Handed-During even-numbered Turns, damage +4

Beastbane-When user is a Wolfskin or Kitsune, their attacks are effective against Beast units

Kaden is automatically deployed as the second stoner in the group. I don't know why some characters have these terrible PSkills that heal the healer or increase healing when they're on fragile speedsters.

The power of Kaden is that he is incredibly fast and damaging on even turns, but also specializes in killing beasts. Which means Cavaliers and their promotions are easy meat for him to rip through. And Nohr has a ton of Cavaliers.

Now, technically I can end this mission really fast because the objective is for Corrin to escape at this spot.

But these soldiers came all the way here just to greet us. It'd be rude not to return the favor.

*Reinforcements arrive*

So it’s come to this. You dare to point your sword at our king… The same man you once called Father.
Xander…
Please understand, milord! Lord Corrin’s actions are justified! King Garon’s dark ambition is the sole cause of this war. Unless we stop him, both kingdoms with continue to suffer.

ooh, he mad

Prince Xander, please…
Xander, listen—
I will not. You have betrayed our family, and as such, deserve a traitor’s fate.
Draw your sword, Corrin, and we’ll settle this once and for all. Go on! If you would oppose us, then kill your brother with your own hands! Destroy the very friends and soldiers who once protected you!

So Xander is gunning straight for us. How bad can he be, he lost to Corrin last time.

Oh. He got slightly beefier. Also now has Aegis which will make my Orochi plan to nuke him kinda bad now.

PSkill: Bloodthirst-When user triggers the battle and defeats the enemy, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn

Well, better be careful with her with Hinoka and Kaden.

PSkill: Fancy Footwork-Strength and Speed +1 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used

Uh....what.

Mozu and Orochi start clearing the initial wave. The starting area is pretty cramp for fighting to the point that I had to have multiple characters paired up in preparation.

Kaden shows off the beast mode for the first time

The Great Knight is strong enough to ward off a one-turn kill by Kagero and Silas, but Takumi said "Screw it" and crits a 1/5 chance.

Takumi continuing his quest to be a tank turret. Also free Hammer from the Great Knight. You know, if someone wants to use it.

My plan is slowly forming after cleaning out two more characters.

Mozu picks up 3k gold afterwards from the corpse of her victim.

I disagree

Hurry, before they overwhelm us...

Azura nags you if you're still somehow not getting to the exit.

But it's too late, for I have formed my master plan: The Oboro Wall.

With Oboro getting Silas's bonus DEF and Sakura further reducing damage via PSkill, she's taking 0 damage from any non-promoted units, and the range fighters peck away at the rank.

The next few things are mainly going to be level-ups cause this takes a while.

Off a Great Knight kill.

Felicia's still here, because people apparently like her enough to stay on the roster.

Min. Max.

*Many turns later*

Hi Peri

Bye Peri

Huh...that's strange. Usually I'm the one doing the stabbing and killing. I need to retreat and think about this.

Corrin vs. Peri

Ooh! I found you, you little traitor!
I am not a traitor! King Garon is a tyrant! And who are you, anyway?
Not a traitor? But Lord Xander said you were...
I'm Peri! No offense, but I'm going to kill you now.
None taken.
Wait, what am I saying?

Another Great Knight kill. Oboro deciding to level up all the other stats this time.

Yeah, that's Inigo alright

Hinoka sends her regards.

Corrin vs. Laslow

Who are you? I don't remember you from the castle....
Oh, that's too bad. I've always had the highest opinion of you. I'm Laslow, one of Lord Xander's retainers.
And I suppose you're here to stop me like the others...
Yes, per Lord Xander's orders. It does seem unfortunate.
*sigh*

Well, his failings will be your undoing. Prepare to die.

Dude, you can't even 2-shot Oboro. You're so done.

Now, normally my plan is to use Saizo's PSkill to bring down Xander's HP since he's the bulkiest ninja that can survive Xander. But Saizo isn't available so the next best thing is have Takumi through sheer power fight through his Aegis.

It's good that Takumi has just enough stats that an HP Tonic will solve his weakness of being one-shot by Xander.

This took a while.

Oboro, you deserve this kill.

This isn't over...

Corrin vs. Xander

Brother, this is madness.
I’m not your brother anymore. Put that notion out of your head. By your own choice, we are enemies now.
Prepare to fight!

Goddamn

So with Xander out of the way, it's really just clean-up with these mooks and not fighting Garron.

Silas after chucking a Kodachi.

Corrin, I NEED you to gain defense. Speed is useless when you literally can't attack more than once with the stone, dude

Kagero opens up the chest for a Dracoshield.

So if you don't have a flier to immediately end this mission, the gimmick here is to use the Dragon Vein to freeze the water and hike across the snow to the exit.

Even Takumi is gaining more defense than literal defensive minded Corrin

Hooray, victory!

Corrin vs. Garron

Are you actually attempting to engage me in battle? Very well. Do your best!
You're not my father, and you never were. Prepare to die.
I may not be your father, but I will slap you down like a child. This foolishness ends now!

If for some forsaken reason you grinded enough to beat him

Hmpf. This is a waste of time. My men can take it from here.

Unit Joined

Kaden

Class sets: Starts as Kitsune, Diviner
PSkill: Reciprocity-When a unit uses a healing staff on the user, that unit has their HP recovered by half the same amount

Growth Rates
HP: 55
STR: 50
MAG: 10
SKL: 40
SPD: 65
LCK: 60
DEF: 35
RES: 60

Kaden has a bad PSkill, but his class gives good skills including its own Beastkiller installed. Kaden is super fast with great RES growth, so he can charge in to kill Cavaliers and handle himself from a group of Mages if needed in a pinch.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
When I played through Birthright, I actually did manage to kill Garon on this map. I believe it involved switching Oboro to oni savage and pairing her up with Rinkah to get as much Defense as possible. It took forever and I chewed through a bunch of staves to do it (and I think Oboro even promoted during the whole thing), but it was one of those "huh, I might actually be able to do this, time to find out" things.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Hey, that "Lazlow" pskill can make the difference between 1 hit or 2 hits, and the +1 strength can be juuuuust enough to allow a unit to finish off an enemy in one combat.

Peri cranks the dial on the crazy up to 11. She's uh... something.

Huh, Kaden's stat growths look lower than I expected for a speedy murder type. I guess the res growth is sapping the other categories.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So if you have a female Corrin, can you shack up with Kaden and produce a horrifying fox-dragon crossbreed? Because honestly that's always my first instinct whenever I have the option to pair off characters in a game like this.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
peri was my wife in conquest, no regrets

a shame her enemy team version appears to be not as much a unit killer, considering she got killed in one it looks like

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kaden's growths are balanced by the boosts from his Beaststone, yeah. He's a pretty solid unit and one of basically two units for whom dodgetanking is actually viable, thanks to his crazy high Res, his naturally high Spd, and the +10 Avoid the Kitsune line gives him. Damage isn't off the charts but he'll basically double everything (which builds up Guard Stance) and Evenhanded will give him a nice boost every couple of turns. Honestly his only weakness is that he doesn't have 1-2 range. If more enemies carted around Bronze weapons or Beast Killers he might be worse off, but he doesn't have that much of a problem outside of a few maps.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

But can you make an atrocity in the eyes of Man & God if you marry him?! This is important dammit!

Artist's rendition of Kaden and (F)Corrin's spawn:

(I drew him with a bow because he(?) would obviously be the strongest class, an archer.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Marrying Kaden would make a kid that is both weak to wyrmslayers and beast killers, yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Being able to beat down Xander on Lunatic with Oboro and some well placed support is just another reason she is The Best, really

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rangpur posted:

But can you make an atrocity in the eyes of Man & God if you marry him?! This is important dammit!

(I drew him with a bow because he(?) would obviously be the strongest class, an archer.)

Then where did the fish scales come from!? Corrin's not that kind of Dragon!

(Karn's Fusions were fun.)

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Tae posted:

Marrying Kaden would make a kid that is both weak to wyrmslayers and beast killers, yes.

Then obviously you'd have to make them a flying class so they'd be harder to hit, duh

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Rangpur posted:

So if you have a female Corrin, can you shack up with Kaden and produce a horrifying fox-dragon crossbreed? Because honestly that's always my first instinct whenever I have the option to pair off characters in a game like this.

Ehh... sort of? You can't do both at the same time, but the kids DO get access to both dragon- and beaststones.

Rangpur posted:

Buddy, I've played Breath of Fire, and that is Breath of Fire character art.

ajkalan posted:

Then obviously you'd have to make them a flying class so they'd be harder to hit, duh

This would only add a weakness to bows, and two is more than enough in my books.

Anyway, responses to other readers aside, character stuff!

Kaden - He's surprisingly well-balanced, really. His Defense is a bit low, but his other growths, with the exception of Magic, are pretty good. His terrible secondary class and complete lack of ranged options kind of hurt his usefulness, though. He's... well, call him above average as a character; I SORTA like him, but not enough to actually call him one of my favorites.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rangpur posted:

Indeed you can! I did that on Revelation. Definitely recommend it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I was never super into Kaden? I think because his niche is a cavalier killer, but he's specced as a mage killer. If you want a cav dead Oboro with a beastkiller is usually your best idea.

Or perhaps he was just kind of a let-down compared to Keaton.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I have never had a good Kaden in 3 birthright and 3 revelation playthroughs. No matter what class or who I pair him with he's always mediocre at best. Same with his kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, Kaden's problem is that his stat distribution and his class don't match up at all. High Res for a mage killer, but he can't attack at 2 range so he's strictly worse at it than the ninjas and servants. He has skills that make him effective against horse units, but poor defense reduces his effectiveness against them compared with using Oboro or a unit who joins shortly with a Beastkiller. His Conquest equivalent is much better IMO because that units bases and growths match up much better with an anti-cavalry class.

• Locked thread