Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Slashrat posted:

Out of curiousity, what non-DLC appearances does he have besides the one at white orchard?

Not sure if he's in the tavern with Priscilla's performance, but he's in the audience at the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Im probably in minority but W2 trolls looked better than Witcher 3 Trolls and looked more intimidating.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Das Butterbrot posted:

actually, he's in quite a lot of cutscenes (most, but not all of them in the DLC) as a random background NPC watching as geralt's story unfolds. you'll never notice it if you don't pay very close attention. blew my mind when i read about / saw screenshots of it. i guess they had bigger plans for him from the start.
The question was specifically about the main game outside the DLC. I know about the appearances throughout HoS but I've never heard about him appearing outside of the DLC (excluding the first meeting).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

Im probably in minority but W2 trolls looked better than Witcher 3 Trolls and looked more intimidating.

W3 trolls own so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBe_wLV74p0

BART TURDY DUMP

edit: unrelated, but I figured out why I was having such a tough time with the Ghost Mode mod. The installation instructions say the intended difficulty setting is Story & Sword, then you can tweak monster damage/HP however you want. I set it on Death March difficulty and it was almost impossible, that was my mistake.

I like the level scaling options, you can set it so quests and monsters are always at your level (or randomly +/- up to 5 levels). Meaning you can go wherever and do whatever quests you want without worrying about level range and XP.

I don't really like the inventory management changes. They made all the crafting materials have carry weight which is annoying and imo a step in the wrong direction.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 3, 2017

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Today is a sad day. Recently replaced a dead PS4. Turns out my W3 save was never set up for online storage.

Goodbye W3 save, hello fresh start.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

I never played Witcher 2 before playing this but played several other variety of games and I like the controls okay once I got used to them.

Controlling Roach is a god drat travesty though.

in keeping with me lavishing nothing but compliments on cd projekt red for this incredible game i am absolutely amazed how they managed to code an algorithm that precisely calculates the most hosed up, inconvenient, untraversable terrain to spawn roach in when you summon him 100% of the time. the tech is amazing!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

in keeping with me lavishing nothing but compliments on cd projekt red for this incredible game i am absolutely amazed how they managed to code an algorithm that precisely calculates the most hosed up, inconvenient, untraversable terrain to spawn roach in when you summon him 100% of the time. the tech is amazing!

at least CDPR has a good sense of humor about all the Roach bugs, there used to be a ton of animation glitches that would have her doing horse pushups and such

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Turns out that the equine teleportation magic was a recurrent development issue that the mages never quite figured out how to fix, but at least they managed to give them autopilot on roads

(lmao calling roach on the Velen swamps, sometimes she would just stop "AW gently caress THIS I GIVE UP")

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Has anyone who played the games on mouse/keyboard gone back and tried it with a Steam controller? I see loads of people don't like or just don't want to adapt to them and they're for sale almost new and cheap all the time, for some reason it just sounds fun. I'm curious if with the right config it'd be smooth sailing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It takes a tonne of effort to adapt to not having a second joystick. I've heard it likened to DVORAK vs QWERTY. Great once you've got the hang of it, but it takes ages to get used to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GoneRampant posted:

If you finish Hearts of Stone before the Isle of Mists quests, the dwarfs looking after Ciri mention a "Master of Mirrors" or something like that who they dealt with, and Geralt has a brief "Oh poo poo" moment. Otherwise, not off the top of my head.

I just recently replayed a fresh main campaign game and they said it to me even though I hadn't started Hearts of Stone.

That said I don't remember them saying it the first time I played the game pre-Hearts of Stone's release so I guess it was patched in after they released the DLC regardless of if you've done it or not.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I just recently replayed a fresh main campaign game and they said it to me even though I hadn't started Hearts of Stone.

That said I don't remember them saying it the first time I played the game pre-Hearts of Stone's release so I guess it was patched in after they released the DLC regardless of if you've done it or not.

Actually, it's during one of the endings. You can bump into them in White Orchid, and they tell you that they sold a goblet to one "Mr Mirrory".

It was most likely there from the start, not added in HoS. At least, the dialogue was there since release. Personally, I never did that ending back then, so I can't confirm, but some guys on the CDPR forums and the subreddit said that they had the encounter in the base game.

Das Butterbrot posted:

actually, he's in quite a lot of cutscenes (most, but not all of them in the DLC) as a random background NPC watching as geralt's story unfolds. you'll never notice it if you don't pay very close attention. blew my mind when i read about / saw screenshots of it. i guess they had bigger plans for him from the start.

He's only in the cutscenes added in HoS. In the base game, he only appears in White Orchid.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 3, 2017

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Hey you posted about the ghost mode mod, do you know if it plays ball with new game+?

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Just turn around for a second whilst you whistle? Still annoying, but it usually means he spawns on the road in the direction you're travelling.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I've found calling Roach with the minimap turned off far less frustrating. In the couple of seconds you're looking around for her, she'll usually get out of the annoying as gently caress terrain.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nullkigan posted:

Just turn around for a second whilst you whistle? Still annoying, but it usually means he spawns on the road in the direction you're travelling.

i've tried that and i guarantee you that he'll still spawn in the middle of the world's longest fence, if available

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Roach is a magical god being who cannot die, she pretty much owns.

I like when she just sprints in circles around them while I fight and she just keeps making noise.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
go pickle spiders up yer arse

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

i've tried that and i guarantee you that he'll still spawn in the middle of the world's longest fence, if available
I swear it worked for me for like two days and then Roach got wise to it and started spawning on a sideways angle.

The fact it seemed to change makes even less sense.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

brakeless posted:

Hey you posted about the ghost mode mod, do you know if it plays ball with new game+?

Apparently there are some issues, but it should be more than playable. The mod author has no desire to do proper balancing for NG+, as they've said that they prefer normal NG. They've been implementing NG+ balancing based on community feedback, so your mileage may vary.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I just finished the Hearts of Stone DLC for the first time. I'm a little disappointed in the ending. I challenged O'Dimm and wound up catching him. I think there should have been a way to just answer his riddle since it was obviously "the moon" instead of having a silly chase. Not to mention it was kind of a let down that Geralt just pulls him from the stream and he just sort of goes away without a speech (that I could understand) or anything. What are the other endings like?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The answer was obvious, yes - a reflection - but the trick was that O'Dimm was destroying all mirrors, so you had to do the whole chase to find a reflection he couldn't shatter.

The ground is shiny wet near where you start and I wasted a bunch of time angling the camera to see if I could use it to solve it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Send help...

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vague stuff about speeches in Hearts of Stone

Oh, he does have a speech (HoS Spoilers):

He says three lines. The first is in French Creole:

Ouw se on coq é coq lá sé rwa an lé pil firmié ay.
You are a rooster, and a rooster is king only atop his pile of manure.

The second is in Georgian:

Shen ggonia momige, ara sts’debi.
You are primitive. You think you've defeated me but you are wrong.

The third is in Ossetian:

Man amaran nai. Asauznan fala fashtama azdahznan.
I can't die. I am banished now but I'll be back.

Incidentally, Ossetian sounds very similar to Mordor's language. I know it's very rare, but I can't help wondering if that's where Tolkien drew his inspiration.

The guys who made this game are quite clever.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Also, I'm sure this has been posted, liked the blast from the past in the Skellige soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhbVYre9uk&t=2043s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Plucky Brit posted:

Also, I'm sure this has been posted, liked the blast from the past in the Skellige soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhbVYre9uk&t=2043s

Fields of Ard Skellig is an entire track made from adapting other music. The lyrics are from Fear a' Bhata, and the strings are from Medieval 2.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

brakeless posted:

TenaciousD posted:

Apparently there are some issues, but it should be more than playable. The mod author has no desire to do proper balancing for NG+, as they've said that they prefer normal NG. They've been implementing NG+ balancing based on community feedback, so your mileage may vary.

I can't comment on NG+ but I'm mostly done with Velen and Novigrad on my ghost mode mod playthrough.

Good stuff: non-Witcher set relic items are a lot more viable, you can set level scaling on all quests and monsters to match your level +/- up to 5 levels randomly. This allows you to do whatever you want, whenever without arbitrary level requirements.
Neutral: the changes to combat and the economy aren't that major imo, rebalanced but not radically different than the base game.
Bad: they added carry weight to crafting stuff so there's a lot more annoying inventory management, I dunno who thought that was a good idea. I have to unload most of my crafting and alchemy ingredients to my stash pretty often which is tedious and dumb.

It's pretty cool, I especially like the freedom the scaling options allow you. I started Novigrad at level 5 and finished most of it before doing much in Velen and that worked just fine.

It's not that radical of an overhaul but it's a good option if you want to mix things up for a second/third playthrough.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did it. i collected every single gwent card. the achievement popped and everything

the quest book in my inventory has now started saying i'm missing a single card in velen

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When the Skellige deck comes together, it really works!

Helith fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 5, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Pellisworth posted:

I can't comment on NG+ but I'm mostly done with Velen and Novigrad on my ghost mode mod playthrough.

Good stuff: non-Witcher set relic items are a lot more viable, you can set level scaling on all quests and monsters to match your level +/- up to 5 levels randomly. This allows you to do whatever you want, whenever without arbitrary level requirements.
Neutral: the changes to combat and the economy aren't that major imo, rebalanced but not radically different than the base game.
Bad: they added carry weight to crafting stuff so there's a lot more annoying inventory management, I dunno who thought that was a good idea. I have to unload most of my crafting and alchemy ingredients to my stash pretty often which is tedious and dumb.

It's pretty cool, I especially like the freedom the scaling options allow you. I started Novigrad at level 5 and finished most of it before doing much in Velen and that worked just fine.

It's not that radical of an overhaul but it's a good option if you want to mix things up for a second/third playthrough.

You can adjust the weight setting and reduce it in the mod menu for the mod. Main menu -> mods -> Ghost Mode

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

i did it. i collected every single gwent card. the achievement popped and everything

the quest book in my inventory has now started saying i'm missing a single card in velen

Have you played Thaler? That was my problem.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Hopper posted:

Have you played Thaler? That was my problem.

Same

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah I played thaler, I meant that one by one all the area names disappeared as I completed my collection, but when I claimed the final card velen reappeared in the miraculous guide to gwent. it's entirely a cosmetic thing but it irks me so

unless thaler has two cards you win from him or something?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm that's weird

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

• Auto Apply Oils (Mandatory)
  • Better Trophies (QoL because default ones are boring as poo poo)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (just because... allows me to tool around and change things up pretty easily to keep things fresh on my now 120+ hour first playthrough)
  • Colored Map Markers (compatibility version)
  • Dyes Everywhere and Dyeable Starting Armor (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo)
  • Friendly UI (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. More immersive)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Jump in Shallow Water (Mandatory)
  • Map Quest Objectives (Full version, works great with Colored markers to make the map less poo poo)
  • New Griffin Armor (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (purely a cosmetic choice)
  • No Fall Damage (Mandatory... pretend mutagens make them fall like cats along with the eyes)
  • Perks Always Active (Gameplay choice because Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise, plus at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)
  • Refill Alcohol (because I actually ran out of Alcohest from resting when I had 300+ Dwarven Spirits, and then I needed to make White Gull :smithicide:)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Because it makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains my immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Because I like flashy lighting)
  • Weathers Enhanced (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • More Accurate Witcher Faces (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass)

So yeah, there's a handful of Gameplay tweaks but it's 90% QoL and cosmetic stuff. poo poo still breaks and I still have encumbrance, I don't mind those things because they're barely an annoyance. Abilities all work as normal, there's just a point to leveling over 35 since I literally maxed out all the main skills I use for all 12 slots and then some, so further skills were literally pointless... now I actually use the crossbow and bombs here and there even when I'm not running an Alchemy spec.

I'd include links, but looking back it's a ton of mods. You can use Script Merger to get all of these to play nicely, the only errors it will show are just some text type ones that don't actually cause issues ingame at all and the game still compiles just fine... they're all background errors from Enhanced Weather and Turbo Lighting, but they still play nice together and work just fine.

Do any of these mods not play well with latest patch + all DLCs on PC?

Anyone dislike one of the mods above? The post says "poo poo still breaks" ... are particular mods the source of bugs?

Considering trying mods for 2nd playthrough. Recommendations welcome. Thanks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In that post "poo poo still breaks" means they didn't install a mod to get rid of weapon durability

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just finished Beaulclair Safari and it was hilarious when it turned out that in the Polish version of the game the exhibition curator was voiced by a lady who's very famous for animal documentary voice-overs in Poland (or somebody obviously trying to imitate her voice). I don't know how it sounds in English but basically imagine hearing Sir David Attenborough talk about animal behaviors in the game. That was great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

pmchem posted:

Do any of these mods not play well with latest patch + all DLCs on PC?

Anyone dislike one of the mods above? The post says "poo poo still breaks" ... are particular mods the source of bugs?

Considering trying mods for 2nd playthrough. Recommendations welcome. Thanks.
Yes, these are all working on the current version, though I should update it with Witcher 2 Triss and possibly a few others. Don't have the time to try Ghost Mod yet (why is it even called that?) but that would be a good alternative option to much of this list... you'd have to play around tos ee exactly what, but the gameplay tweaks would be the primary suspects to drop with Ghost Mod.

2house2fly posted:

In that post "poo poo still breaks" means they didn't install a mod to get rid of weapon durability

This is correct. Durability starts out as a hindrance that seems annoying and a pain to overcome, but once you hit your stride and if you're diligent about picking up repair kits, it's totally manageable and helps curb the heaping piles of money you eventually end up with. To me it wasn't much of an issue, but some people hate it... totally personal preference on whether you dislike weapon degradation, but the main mod in the Top 25 list on the Nexu is compatible with this list, assuming you run it through the Script Merger because it will conflict with the Cheaper Respec Potion mod, if you choose to use that... basically anything that modifies shop inventory will conflict with other stuff that does the same.

I've also since stopped using the Turbo Lighting mod because A- it doesn't work well in Toissant, and B- it makes the lighting in Skellige weird, too.

In general, a flaw of any sort of blanket wrapper for lighting/colormapping in this game will be flawed because Novigrad/Velen, Skellige, Kaer Morhen, and Toissant all have their own slightly deviated palettes. This is a common method of reducing graphical load because rather than having to color correct with dynamic lighting calculations, you literally can just toss a blanket color correction filter over the entire screen to achieve that washed out look in Skellige or the overly bright and vibrant look in Toissant. Problem with this is that any sort of mod you use that tries to adjust these things either needs to ahve specific profiles and setups for each region (can't be done with ReShade tools unless you literally make separate profiles and manually change them when you swap regions, which is a loving pain in the rear end) or you find some middling generic setup that manages to work decently for all of the regions, which is what TLM does. I made that list prior to hitting Skellige, and that's when I started feeling it was crapping out. By the end of the game I'd turned it off, and then for curiosity's sake I tries it in Toissant and yeah, it's not worth it.

As it is the game's base lighting is fantastic, so unless you're a graphics turbo-sperg you really don't need any lighting mods to appreciate how beautiful the game can be. Weather is a totally different story, though, totally get that weather mod because it's awesome.

EDIT: Also check my post history in this thread. I had made a more concise/better organized version of that list that more accurately lays them all out, but Orv never got the chance to edit it into the second post. If people want and Orv doesn't mind, I can do a more formal mod post with the other tweaks, as well as addressing Ghost Mod. Dunno if it's worth it since anyone that cares is already reading this thread regularly, I'd think.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 6, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Palpek posted:

I just finished Beaulclair Safari and it was hilarious when it turned out that in the Polish version of the game the exhibition curator was voiced by a lady who's very famous for animal documentary voice-overs in Poland (or somebody obviously trying to imitate her voice). I don't know how it sounds in English but basically imagine hearing Sir David Attenborough talk about animal behaviors in the game. That was great.

In the ghost wedding quest in Hearts of Stone there's a little Attenborough joke for a character that over reacts and misidentifies an animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TenaciousD posted:

Actually, it's during one of the endings. You can bump into them in White Orchid, and they tell you that they sold a goblet to one "Mr Mirrory".

It was most likely there from the start, not added in HoS. At least, the dialogue was there since release. Personally, I never did that ending back then, so I can't confirm, but some guys on the CDPR forums and the subreddit said that they had the encounter in the base game.

I've played through the main game three times with the same ending (the correct one!), once pre-DLC and the other two post-DLC, and I only saw the dwarves in the latter two and only recall them mentioning "Mr Mirrory" in the last one (I may have just forgotten the second though). I suppose it's possible I just missed the dwarves entirely while riding to the inn the first time, maybe I went off-road and went through the fields/forest instead of following the road around? I don't think I would have though since they deliberately set up a lot of points of interest to see on the road to presumably encourage players to follow it. But if other players say they saw it in the base release, then I guess I must have somehow missed them v:shobon:v