Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

King was, by most accounts, excellent as a deputy for Little and has been a unifying figure for the caucus under him - she's been around long enough and is liked/respected enough by all factions that selecting her as his deputy was a natural and smart choice. Ardern, though, has much broader appeal as a candidate and is seen as a stronger campaigner according to Bryce Edwards.

The other factor not really being talked about is the apparently impending return of Raymond Huo to parliament. Maryan Street has opted to step aside so that he gets into parliament. Apparently Huo is reasonably well-regarded in the Chinese community here and apparently, his return is a fairly big deal to them.

I like Annette King and I'm a bit sad to hear she won't be returning, but I like that Labour is presenting a younger and newer face this election, and also doing a good job of appealing to a broader church. I have a lot of respect for the likes of Mallard, Goff, King, Shearer etc, but they're old and very white middle class, and it reflects/reflected in their politics.

Some of the picks are costing them a bit ethically but should otherwise work in their favour I reckon - like if Huo is going to bring in votes from Chinese kiwis it's good particularly after that racist bs Lab pulled with "Chinese sounding names", but Huo also got in poo poo for supporting Chinese rule of Tibet iirc. It's a similar thing to Willie Jackson, I don't doubt he'll bring in votes but he also has a muddy slate.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
That European Student assc thing is hilarious, their fb page is all "we're a medieval reenactment club with no political affiliations and we have ASIANS in our club, what's that about our use of the SS motto? I can't hear you over the sound of our inclusivity.".

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

It looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, but we just can't enforce our no duck policy until we see it swim.

To be fair until a group is actually caught breaking a rule then they can't do much to them or else could end up in trouble themselves for being prejudiced.
Take a wait and see approach to them (certainly keep a close eye on them).
Then come down on them like a tonne of bricks at the first transgression.

The thing is they may very well be a medieval European fanboy club and tone deaf about the Nazi associations. The Nazi's didn't invent the iconography or some of the sayings, instead they thought it was cool and based their branding around it.

Varkk fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 2, 2017

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
If it's anything like the Pro-Life club they'll be kicked out in no time at all. Real lovely the uni is giving them a stall though.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
For the first time in my life I'm proud I dropped out of Auckland Uni.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/politics/89963037/Little-signals-Greens-will-be-first-cab-off-the-rank-in-post-election-talks/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Varkk posted:

The thing is they may very well be a medieval European fanboy club and tone deaf about the Nazi associations. The Nazi's didn't invent the iconography or some of the sayings, instead they thought it was cool and based their branding around it.
I mean, yeah, they might well be. It'd just be coincidence that all of their iconography comes from a culture unimportant to the time but hugely associated with white supremacists, and that they defend their association on the basis of there being clubs for other races on campus but none for "Europeans".

Like, they specifically chose the time period of sprawling European empires and the crusades and thought what their cool totally necessary and uncoded slogan "strength through honour" needed was a motif based on the guys getting their poo poo pushed in by viking raiders.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What kind of loving idiot do you have to be when people are like "hey, your 'medieval Europe' group has some white supremacist related iconography, what's up with that?" and your first reaction isn't "oh gently caress, I don't want people to think I'm a Nazi I should change that to a sweet knight helmet complete with heraldry that would have been a much more appropriate choice in the first place" if your intent isn't to actually attract the sort of people who use Celts as a cipher for Aryan.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, Adam Holland is involved with the group.
Colour me loving shocked.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, Adam Holland is involved with the group.
Colour me loving shocked.

Yeah I was just about to mention that, he's that guy who dressed up as a "muslim" at that mayoral debate that went to complete and utter poo poo. He then also rammed a car when drunk and said the drink drive limits were for lightweights

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11730507

There's no way this guy isn't racist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the nazis have finally work out the great liberal weakness: they're more loyal to politeness than to ideals.

Hitler was ahead of his time, he managed to score like three entire countries before the british put a rude person in charge.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, if you wanna attract the new generation of nationalist untermensch, y'gotta keep up with the trends. Shoulda just been Deus Vult in Gothic block letters.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"were completely apolitical" "Europeans are the only ones who don't have a club like this"

"We accept people of all races and cultures" *uses Nazi slogans and imagery*

:rolleyes:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
just so we're clear, Adam Holland is what happened when a lightning bolt struck a garbage can full of South Park posters, right? He's like this bizarre real-world Cartman.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'unno, the Stick of Truth Cartman was cool.

Then again, I've only played that game and seen the movie with Saddam Hussein, I'm no expert.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

just so we're clear, Adam Holland is what happened when a lightning bolt struck a garbage can full of South Park posters, right? He's like this bizarre real-world Cartman.

He's much more sad than that

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuHJdJrbdw&t=223s

I dunno if this is adam holland talking but it's sure a youtube channel named that.

'Hitler was the good guy'

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

They just want to set up a club where they can joust with Asians, guys. Settle down.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

What gets me is that UoA already has a re-enactment club. They really could have picked a better excuse.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NZAmoeba posted:

Yeah I was just about to mention that, he's that guy who dressed up as a "muslim" at that mayoral debate that went to complete and utter poo poo. He then also rammed a car when drunk and said the drink drive limits were for lightweights

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11730507

There's no way this guy isn't racist

Will this guy still have a license, because it sounds like he should never be allowed behind the wheel again?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Depends on whether he has the capital to buy a judge or two off.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
And they're gone.

We're Not Nazis posted:

Hello everyone.

It is with regret that we are informing members, supporters, faculty and the wider community that AUESA, for a number of reasons, is officially disbanding as a university club, and will be withdrawing our application to be affiliated with AUSA.

Full post here. As always, don't read the comments.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

you weren't wrong :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's not a white supremacist dog whistle group its just coincidence its fans blame the shutdown on the Māori.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, Little's nominated Winston to the Intelligence and Security committee to replace the departing David Shearer, which has been backed by the Greens. It's a fairly clear signal being sent that a coalition government is being crafted.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain_Person posted:

And they're gone.

Full post here. As always, don't read the comments.

It's gone

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Meanwhile, Little's nominated Winston to the Intelligence and Security committee to replace the departing David Shearer, which has been backed by the Greens. It's a fairly clear signal being sent that a coalition government is being crafted.

I'm still so loving suspicious of Winston. Propping up a National government would cost him a big chunk of his support base but he'll be 75 by the election following this one so it wouldn't surprise me that he'd work with whatever party would give him the best position and then gently caress off. Labour would probably be happy to give him Foreign Affairs, so it really depends what National is prepared to put on the table.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Deputy prime minister.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/MagicRealismBot/status/838451588540747776

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Something something about neither Little or English having the sensitivity or protective qualities of a foreskin

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nats are going to raise the retirement age to 67. Good on them, but they probably just gave NZF another 1-2% of the vote.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Yeah but it's not changing until 2040 though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Bill English doesn't want to be prime minister, but Labour/Greens still need to not gently caress up their opposition to this

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Robo Captain posted:

Yeah but it's not changing until 2040 though.

Bill English actually can't read numbers and thinks it's 2037. That's the only reason I can think of for several of their major policy announcements having dates 20+ years from now

In this case is p clever actually because it avoids all the selfish and entitled loving baby boomers who refuse to give an inch

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's really just so he can draw down the political capital now by "doing something" and some luckless fool in the future when he's retired has to pay the cost when it comes to actually doing it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Unaffordable housing, a hosed environment and an older retirement age. We truly have it all.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If it makes you feel better, it's unlikely most of us will survive past the 2040 mark anyway.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

Nats are going to raise the retirement age to 67. Good on them, but they probably just gave NZF another 1-2% of the vote.

Importantly, no boomers will be affected by the change. Who'da thunk it?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
lol at every young left wing person i know making GBS threads on labour for wanting to maintain 65 as the retirement age

everyone vaguely leftwing at this point should really just become morally bankrupt libertarians and actually embrace fygm rather than pussy footing about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Didn't labour lose an election proposing to raise the age not so long ago?

• Locked thread