Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool, really swell of you to give me money to buy you a pizza and movie tickets :D

I have a movie pass :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I have a movie pass :D

Cool, really swell of you to give me money to buy you a pizza and not movie tickets

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool, really swell of you to give me money to buy you a pizza and not movie tickets

Take the pizza and run - you can find something equally amusing to watch on youtube for free, guaranteed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wrapped up summer of stardew valley but i kinda want to continue playing it and do the fall

i think it depends on where my mood is at. the other game i'm playing is memoria and i am planning on doing armed & dangerous, abzu, and hopiko next but i think if my mood goes bad or sad i will go back to farming and mining

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played the new Torment for about an hour and a half, and the writing is really fatiguing. Everyone sounds like they're reading from the same undergrad's philosophy midterm essay, using synonymous adjectives every few lines to increase the word count

Of course, maybe I find it fatiguing because I'm tired

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Take the pizza and run - you can find something equally amusing to watch on youtube for free, guaranteed.

Don't mess up my date. :mad:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I played the new Torment for about an hour and a half, and the writing is really fatiguing. Everyone sounds like they're reading from the same undergrad's philosophy midterm essay, using synonymous adjectives every few lines to increase the word count

I mean, I got the same kind of feeling from the trailer alone. All I could think was "If Obsidian were up there own asses and had no college graduate writers or editors."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

Hmmmm exactly as I predicted

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Don't mess up my date. :mad:

Ok now let's let the joke rest cause I think we've taken it far enough imo. Originally I was just gonna end it with "well thanks for giving my poor rear end some cash to pay for you" but now we're here

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sorry if the imaginary joke date made you uncomfortable, FirstAidKite.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It didn't, I just thought we killed whatever was left of any potential humor. Or "humor."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

Was it Karin Traviss? It seemed like everybody was hiring her to write their tie-in fiction for a while. You've got to be aware that you hosed up somewhere along the line when even George Lucas thinks you suck too much to be allowed to write Star Wars novels.

I vaguely remember the game being good, and also the first book (the one she wrote before she skipped off the deep end).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kai Tave posted:

Gears and Halo both seem to be part of this weird zeitgeist in videogames where all at once people were being tasked to create these elaborate, intricate backstories for their shootman games...all of which was told through comics and novels and ARG websites and absolutely nowhere in the actual games themselves. I don't know when or why this became the thing to do but it always struck me as dumb as hell. Like I don't mind if a game decides to eschew ~deep lore~ in favor of focusing on gameplay, especially in a shooter, but you can always tell that games like this really want you to care about things like who the Locust are and what the deal with that creepy facility is but nah, gotta buy the official tie-in whatever to learn about that poo poo.

The Matrix and the LOTR trilogy were both hugely influential at the turn of the millennium in creating this expanded mythology where it wasn't just about the movies, but callbacks to books, video games, spin-off properties, etc. that you were just expected to have already absorbed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm really glad that Bungie kept that tradition alive with lore cards you had to visit an external website to read

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm really glad that Bungie kept that tradition alive with lore cards you had to visit an external website to read

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The other thing about the early-mid 2000s era is that MMOs were really beginning to take off and just about every IP was eyeing the possibility of doing one, no matter how tortuous the connection. Like without knowing anything on the subject I'm almost certain "Halo MMO" was in the design docs at Bungie at some point.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've learned to read both languages in BotW...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

I vaguely remember the game being good, and also the first book (the one she wrote before she skipped off the deep end).

If you're talking about Republic Commando I'm going to guess the books were bad like most Star Wars books but the game was actually good, so you're at least batting .500 there.

exquisite tea posted:

The Matrix and the LOTR trilogy were both hugely influential at the turn of the millennium in creating this expanded mythology where it wasn't just about the movies, but callbacks to books, video games, spin-off properties, etc. that you were just expected to have already absorbed.

I, uh, kind of feel like the Lord of the Rings movies didn't really create the expanded mythology as such, that was sort of already there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I, uh, kind of feel like the Lord of the Rings movies didn't really create the expanded mythology as such, that was sort of already there.

The movies were largely responsible for making the mythology palatable to the masses instead of "and then Glinfandel begat Grwyrrwgwyn, who begat Wynnelesal" etc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bought both Enter the Matrix and The Matrix Online.

I played the PS2 Lord of the Rings beat-em-up. I heard really good things about the RPG one but never got around to that

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I played the PS2 Lord of the Rings beat-em-up. I heard really good things about the RPG one but never got around to that

Eh. It's like a really really stripped down Final Fantasy X with basically nothing but the fights. It's not awful, the combat has depth and the monsters all have pretty cool animations and models for the time, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype it had on release.

Those beat-em-ups rule though. If they were re-released on PC as a combined game where you can co-op the Two Towers part I would be shoving the money directly through my monitor.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Enter the Matrix, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is one of the most hilariously janky games I've ever played. Shooting at Agents caused their models to flop left and right like something out of Garry's Mod to simulate their ability to dodge bullets, and it controlled like poo poo to boot.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

One day I woke up and discovered I couldn't play JRPGs anymore. I used to eat those things up, I played so much Chrono Trigger I had every character at level 99, then all at once I just...didn't want to play them anymore. I think it was Rogue Galaxy where I was like "actually I'm not having any fun with this, and I don't think it's just this particular game."

If someone made a jrpg that wasn't also insanely anime I might actually play it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

fridge corn posted:

If someone made a jrpg that wasn't also insanely anime I might actually play it

Chrono trigger is pretty much the perfect Jrpg, so you should play that! It's kind of embarrassing how much better it is than the almost 30 years of Jrpgs that came after it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Red Bones posted:

Chrono trigger is pretty much the perfect Jrpg, so you should play that! It's kind of embarrassing how much better it is than the almost 30 years of Jrpgs that came after it.

The battle mechanics in Chrono trigger are really dull.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

JRPGs evolved in a totally wrong direction during the playstation era. So many cutscenes, so much anime, so much voice acting...

And they never really recovered.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

JRPGs evolved in a totally wrong direction during the playstation era. So many cutscenes, so much anime, so much voice acting...

Chrono trigger is very anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrono Trigger is cool but the combat is the most generic turn based nonsense ever and anyone who still thinks it's the best JRPG ever made hasn't played one since 1996.
Hell even in SNES game only terms Earthbound is better than it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

That game you like is anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

Tales of Berseria came out in January and is top 5 JRPG's ever material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

Chrono Trigger is The A-team compared to like, Star Ocean.

Sakurazuka posted:

Hahahaha.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty good but like most jrpgs you could have cut like 10-20 hours away from it and it would've been better for it.

Lurdiak posted:

Chrono Trigger is The A-team compared to like, Star Ocean.

It's like all genres have good and bad games. That doesn't make it more or less anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

It's pretty good but like most jrpgs you could have cut like 10-20 hours away from it and it would've been better for it.

The dungeons being a bit too long is the only reason it's not number one.

Lurdiak posted:

Hahahaha.

:shrug:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Red Bones posted:

I have played Chrono Trigger to death

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes but is it anime?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Yes but is it anime?

It's very anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a JRPG

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I want a jrpg that isn't anime

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

It's like all genres have good and bad games. That doesn't make it more or less anime.

Why do you guys always do this when people say something is too anime. Literally everyone else in the world knows exactly what is meant by that, but this thread has to split hairs over it.

Here are some visual aids:

Not Anime

Anime neutral

Somewhat Anime

Definitely Anime

Too much Anime

Way too much Anime, a criminal level of Anime.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why do you think people do it lurdiak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the answer is because anime rules by the way

• Locked thread