Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh nice, the fix for the DvL XP armor made the armoring removable and bind to legacy, so you can use a different set if you want. No cost to remove it, so if you want to really be anal you can just have a few sets of armor as you're leveling to move the armorings in.

Downside, any mods/enhancements you DID have in it are now gone. =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Nearly 20k CXP for DF Story Mode. Neat.

Boy I didn't realize how far the quality of raiders has dropped, you used to be able pug NiM DF/DP on Harbinger. :shrek: I need a shower but it was worth it.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
I guess I'll wait a bit and see if more of them pop up on the GTN so I can get a better idea of what it'd sell for. I'd really like to actually use it, but it'd be hard to turn down 100 million credits, considering my in-game poverty. I could buy a lot of fancy clothes with that money. :v:

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
Thanks for the invite to THG! Leveling up my Sith Sorc right now, she's L35 and I just left Dromund Kaas, headed to Nar Shaadda and Balmorra. I'm just sticking to the class story and heroics to keep my gear up to date but I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should definitely be doing while leveling up?

I largely gave up my crew skills for the time being as I just can't afford to keep sending them out on missions while keeping my weapon up to date with mods/hilts/etc. Should be much easier once I get higher.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

Oh snap bought a supercrate and got the new emote, it's my go to real life dance move!

Did you say berries and cream?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SiliconX posted:

Thanks for the invite to THG! Leveling up my Sith Sorc right now, she's L35 and I just left Dromund Kaas, headed to Nar Shaadda and Balmorra. I'm just sticking to the class story and heroics to keep my gear up to date but I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should definitely be doing while leveling up?

I largely gave up my crew skills for the time being as I just can't afford to keep sending them out on missions while keeping my weapon up to date with mods/hilts/etc. Should be much easier once I get higher.

Basically if it's your first time through, do everything with a purple marker as that's considered part of the story. You'll want to see the planetary storylines once on both sides, and then post character storyline there are two septate arcs for almost everything until you reach Shadow of Revan. Once SoR starts (the prelude is a little different on the two factions) it's the same story for every character. Though Rishi does have one side quest for every class, but that's very small.

As far as crafting goes, I'd just take gathering skills as you're leveling - Bioanalysis/Scavenging/Archaeology (pick two) and Slicing. That way you can gather components and lockboxes as you're playing, and either sell the mats on the GTN or save them for when you actually want to work on a Crew skill.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've gone from zero to like 53 in the last few days just doing elite quests. I haven't even done like the second part of the story. This game is kind of fun, you press a lot of buttons and a bunch of Star Wars happens around you and sometimes you die.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

If you ever have the desire to level alts, I recommend getting at least one of the droid/beast companions and unlocking in collections for 400cc. That gives you an extra companion right at level 10 and of you craft you can send your first companion out creating while you're using the beast. They're also super easy to get high influence on since Grade 6 gifts are available from the Jawa scrap vendors. Sadly they can't craft, but 100 blue scrap gets them to ~22 influence which is fantastic for Heroics and combat.

But then HK, Treek, and Shae Vizla are already available too, but I get what you are saying

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

But then HK, Treek, and Shae Vizla are already available too, but I get what you are saying

Which is even better because if you're like me and level a bazillion alts, line the 8 through DvL, by doing only enough of the story to get your ship, you'll have more companions at higher level to craft. I'd say well over half my characters have 2 or less story companions, and having HK-51, Master Ramos, Shae Vizla and Treek available for crafting means I can actually have them gathering while playing. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Some big changes with 5.2.

Tier 4 gear being introduced. 100% chance of each piece having a set bonus, blues having set bonus with Tier 4.

Tier 1-3 having better chances of dropping gear at the end of the Tier

Bosses in Operations finally dropping a piece of gear every time again

Which means weekly KP/EV HM runs will get you geared pretty quickly.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
One day I'll get around to reading up on and pugging some ops for gear. One day.

Have they confirmed when 5.2 is out yet? I know originally the XP event was to run until 10th April, wasn't sure if there'd been anything else mentioned since then.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

One day I'll get around to reading up on and pugging some ops for gear. One day.

Have they confirmed when 5.2 is out yet? I know originally the XP event was to run until 10th April, wasn't sure if there'd been anything else mentioned since then.

Right now it's just "April".

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:toot:

Reactivated my sub after not playing for six months or so, and used my accumulated CC to open some crates. The very first one I opened had a dualsaber worth 30 mil, and the next one had a mount worth 9 mil.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Just realized there is a goon guild. Started recently on Shadowlands and played through the Jedi Shadow story, got my character to 70 and now going through continued story missions. Transferred to Jedi Covenant, I'll submit a request soon. Same name.

I haven't done anything with a group or PvP so maybe once I'm in you guys can show me around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Right now our guild is super inactive so don't transfer just to be with goons, you'll be sad. If you've got friends on Shadowlands you might want to stay there. We're in a major lull, 2-3 on at most these days. :(

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

No worries, was playing solo and don't know anyone else in this game. Better to be with random people from some intarweb forum than some poo poo pubbie guild broadcasting in fleet.

Edit: laffo, I just did a WHO search in game for goon squad and messaged the first person on the list for an invite, after a few minutes got invited to the guild Havoc Squad. Apparently the search was for "or" not "and". Looks like I got into a pubbie guild anyway. Nobody with goon on at all, so maybe I'll chill in this guild for a bit.

Benthalus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Benthalus posted:

No worries, was playing solo and don't know anyone else in this game. Better to be with random people from some intarweb forum than some poo poo pubbie guild broadcasting in fleet.

Cool, make sure to hop in Discord (linked in OP). It's been quiet lately but that's where we BS most of the time.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Yeah, I've been playing a little Republic side. I just realized I've never done any 50+, so I'm finishing off my (second) Smuggler, and am going to do that.

Which operations don't have story modes?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Colgate posted:

Yeah, I've been playing a little Republic side. I just realized I've never done any 50+, so I'm finishing off my (second) Smuggler, and am going to do that.

Which operations don't have story modes?

Operations? All of them have Story Mode (8 and 16 man). Eternity Vault, Karaggas Palace, Ravagers and Treble of Sacrifice don't have Master (Nightmare) modes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Right now our guild is super inactive so don't transfer just to be with goons, you'll be sad. If you've got friends on Shadowlands you might want to stay there. We're in a major lull, 2-3 on at most these days. :(

I've been a bit busy lately with sorting out a new potential new job and I'm away for the next week but then I'll probably be on a bit more. Iokath might see a bit of an upsurge in numbers, too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trying to do all eight stories in a row may have been a mistake. A "so burned out I can't find the wherewithal to play during 250% XP" mistake.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

McSpanky posted:

Trying to do all eight stories in a row may have been a mistake. A "so burned out I can't find the wherewithal to play during 250% XP" mistake.

I did that a few years ago.

I'm still burned out from it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Yeah even when you can just beeline the story missions it gets pretty tedious after too long. It's all the traveling that kills my urge to play (and it used to be worse).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I'm in "I really should play as much as I can to take advantage of the Galactic Command XP Boost before 5.2 comes" mode, but I also don't want to end up being completely burned out. I want to check out the new Operation boss, but I have a feeling we're going to have a tough time gathering 8 goons who are interested in an actual challenge so I might have to explore putting one of my toons in *shudder* a pubbie guild.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

McSpanky posted:

I have run into this problem because of the one-two punch of the DvL event, where I leveled a shitload of new characters in a row, and then the new story chapter hitting right after that, which I burned through on my main character and then went "OK, this is a good stopping point, I can put this game down for a while." I basically have yet to pick it back up, aside from the occasional check-in about once every two weeks...

The super XP isn't that much of an incentive anymore, because XP is cheap, and the CXP thing just looks so grindy I never bothered with it at all. Haven't gotten any characters further than like rank 5. Now would be the time to do it, I guess, but... I have other games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I haven't really been compelled to do cxp at all. It's grindy and as medullah points out, unless you're raiding, the grind is literally pointless. Like running on a treadmill that doesn't burn any calories.

Maybe if there were cool mounts in there or something, I dunno

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I haven't really been compelled to do cxp at all. It's grindy and as medullah points out, unless you're raiding, the grind is literally pointless. Like running on a treadmill that doesn't burn any calories.

Maybe if there were cool mounts in there or something, I dunno

There's a couple of neat mounts but all are Bind on Equip so you can just buy on the GTN.

I will admit that since they lowered the bolster to 235, PvP is a bit less of a slog of invincible people. Plus, I bought a bunch of 240+ gear so I'm actually able to do some damage here and there.

But yeah, I don't get the people that are repeatedly running the exact same content (like repeat runs over and over again of Master Mode Chapter 2) for GCXP. I've done a lot of dailies but most of my points are from PvP.

Although I did find out that Red Reaper Veteran mode is a simple way to gain a level and a half or so in 10-15 minutes of play.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I spent the cash from that lightsaber on buying a Cathar honor blade and then a walker and that new tank mount and a couple of other mounts. I am poor again.

I regret nothing :colbert:

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

There's a couple of neat mounts but all are Bind on Equip so you can just buy on the GTN.

I will admit that since they lowered the bolster to 235, PvP is a bit less of a slog of invincible people. Plus, I bought a bunch of 240+ gear so I'm actually able to do some damage here and there.

But yeah, I don't get the people that are repeatedly running the exact same content (like repeat runs over and over again of Master Mode Chapter 2) for GCXP. I've done a lot of dailies but most of my points are from PvP.

Although I did find out that Red Reaper Veteran mode is a simple way to gain a level and a half or so in 10-15 minutes of play.

By my Command Token count I figure my sorc is 340 now and I did most of that running Daily Missions while queuing for PvP like I normally would. The occasional Vet Fractured farm...you can still bug the first boss and make about 20 lvls an hour if your group knows its stuff.

I don't understand the Chapters farming because there's no benefit but CXP...Vet BT will get you Istotopes, Dailies credits, PvP Unassembled Components, and Ops get straight drops.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think the people doing the farming are kind of missing the point. It's stuff you get incidentially for doing things you actually enjoy, not something to sperg about for it's own sake.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I think the people doing the farming are kind of missing the point. It's stuff you get incidentially for doing things you actually enjoy, not something to sperg about for it's own sake.

I'm sure this is what Bioware was thinking when they came up with Galactic Command. Addicts (myself included) need their shinies though.

MMO players are by and large Gollums not Frodos.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I'm sure this is what Bioware was thinking when they came up with Galactic Command. Addicts (myself included) need their shinies though.

MMO players are by and large Gollums not Frodos.

The whole concept behind Galactic Command is, in theory, a good idea - Give people who don't want to do Ops or PvP an avenue to get set bonus gear. This allows people who only want to do dailies, Heroics and flashpoints an option.

The problem, of course, is that it should have always been a secondary avenue and not the primary avenue. And then, a bigger problem being that people not doing PvP or Operations (Actually, just Hard Mode and harder ones) don't really NEED set bonus gear.

But people want their stuff. =/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

While this type pretty much exists in any MMO out there, it really feels like there's more than the average of that type or they're just really vocal and seems like there's more in SWTOR. I remember when the DvL event started last summer and there were people complaining they'd finished all the tiers and "there's nothing left to dooooo" within the first month of the event. I don't know how many of those claiming it were legit or not, but I really wouldn't put it past some to push themselves above and beyond like it's all a speed race. With that personality type, there's no amount of planning to have content last that's going to make them happy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Degs posted:

I did that a few years ago.

I'm still burned out from it.

:same:

:smith:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Have shelved this game for some time but wouldnt mind swinging lightsabers at dumb NPCs online again.

I really really hated the KOFTE storyline, in fact it is what made me quit the game last time. (A mega powerful empire that conquered the factions we know from decades of Star Wars material in a casual weekend, all ruled by a literal god emperor that somehow got killed and now lives INSIDE the hero, and we have never heard any kind of reference about this in any other Star Wars material? )

Does the new expansion continue this ludicrous poo poo or did we win at the end of KOFTE and now do more Star Warsy things?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If you didn't like KotFE, you won't like KotET.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kaysette posted:

If you didn't like KotFE, you won't like KotET.

They brought back the original Tracer Missile for it though.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I did Ilum, Battle for Ilum, False Emperor and Makeb yesterday. Ilum and Battle for Ilum were kind of boring, but I enjoyed the latter two a lot. I also did Black Hole dailies, but I'm guessing those are kind of pointless, or is there any story to unlock there?

I'm also weighing as to whether I should bother trying to get HK-51.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Colgate posted:

I'm also weighing as to whether I should bother trying to get HK-51.

The initial big quest that you do before you have to go part-hunting all over the galaxy is great. I loved it enough to do it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah HK-51s quest story line is really cool, and if you're a fan of the HK characters, he's a fun companion.

The old reason to get him was because he was an extremely powerful DPS companion who had the ability to instantly kill a Silver mob once in a while, and it was a good way to get an extra companion early on (could buy him at level one for a million credits) which made starter planets much quicker. Now he's just a normal ranged companion, and there are a few other companions you can get at level 1 depending on if you subscribed in time (Nico, Shae Vizla, Master Ranos). If you don't like the HK schtick then it's probably not worth it.

• Locked thread