Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's cute as hell to boot. It'd really match the aesthetic Zelda has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Played Zelda undocked for a few hours to make sure I didn't have a defective unit. It was pretty chill, but it just cemented the fact that people who play undocked when they're at home and have the TV right there are kinda silly. It was hard to make out certain things in the distance and wasn't as immersive. I'd understand playing the game docked if you had to, but if you have the choice between docked and undocked, docked is the no-brainer.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not sure why it had to go on the bottom

they want to force the necessity of the dock to justify the high price, but they also hate you too.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Played Zelda undocked for a few hours to make sure I didn't have a defective unit. It was pretty chill, but it just cemented the fact that people who play undocked when they're at home and have the TV right there are kinda silly. It was hard to make out certain things in the distance and wasn't as immersive. I'd understand playing the game docked if you had to, but if you have the choice between docked and undocked, docked is the no-brainer.

I know everybody has TVs in their bedrooms and computer rooms and poo poo, but the dock goes on the living room, hands down. Sometimes playing in the living room isn't comfortable (maybe you have roommates, maybe you don't want to make noise), so you end up playing in your bedroom or something. Just being able to have this detachable unit that has the exact same experience as on your TV but on-the-go is cool as hell

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.
I haven't noticed any problems with my Samsung tv. The Switch was connected to it all day on Saturday in sleep mode while the tv was being used for other things, and it never stole the focus.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Spellman posted:

I know everybody has TVs in their bedrooms and computer rooms and poo poo, but the dock goes on the living room, hands down. Sometimes playing in the living room isn't comfortable (maybe you have roommates, maybe you don't want to make noise), so you end up playing in your bedroom or something. Just being able to have this detachable unit that has the exact same experience as on your TV but on-the-go is cool as hell

Fair point, I forgot roommates and multiple TVs exist. I've just got my living room with a motorised reclining chair which is comfy as gently caress, so I literally have no excuse not to play it docked. It's way more comfy than lying in bed (it'd be like reading in bed, my arms get super tired or I get uncomfortable from lying in an awkward position for so long).

I know for a fact when more games come out that are a little more laid back (Animal Crossing, for example, or Stardew Valley) I'll be playing undocked way more often, since I'll actually wanna play it out and about. Zelda is something I like to pick up and engross myself with for a few hours, I hate starting and stopping. There's always that one more thing I wanna do.

Real hurthling! posted:

Switch keeps stealing the focus from other devices while in sleep mode on Samsung tvs

Very annoying.

I watched two-hours worth of a TV show and a movie on Netflix whilst my Switch was docked in sleep mode. Not once did it steal focus. You sure you didn't accidentally press the home button on the Joycon to start it up?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Monster Hunter Switch. That's all I've got.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't noticed any problems with my Samsung tv. The Switch was connected to it all day on Saturday in sleep mode while the tv was being used for other things, and it never stole the focus.

Ditto.

Also undocked mode rules.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hate that if I ever need to replace my Switch for any reason I'd lose my Zelda save ughhhh

God I hope they patch something in

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hate that if I ever need to replace my Switch for any reason I'd lose my Zelda save ughhhh

God I hope they patch something in

They'll probably have a transfer function, at some point. Hopefully whatever causes you to replace your Switch doesn't render the device inoperable.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Spellman posted:

They'll probably have a transfer function, at some point. Hopefully whatever causes you to replace your Switch doesn't render the device inoperable.

I'd like to see cloud storage for saves when they announce the online services but I won't hold my breath

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So I like my Pro controller but the rumble feedback is... uh, barely there at all? Wimpy as gently caress. This how it's supposed to be?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So I like my Pro controller but the rumble feedback is... uh, barely there at all? Wimpy as gently caress. This how it's supposed to be?

More or less, yes. That's what a linear resonant actuator gets you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If your unit isn't friendly with your TV and keeps stealing focus, you can turn that off in the options.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I played Zelda all weekend and now my eyes are probably damaged, but it's worth it. Without looking for stats, I've probably played like 16-20 hours and I've only done one of the 4 major "dungeons". It is a fantastic exploration game.

Also, the speed run that'll probably happen as SGDQ this year will be loving hilarious, because the physics engine is VERY ABUSABLE.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

More or less, yes. That's what a linear resonant actuator gets you.

That's pretty terrible.

I'll end up destroying it while attempting to hard mod transplant the rumbler from a vibrating butt plug or something like that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I played a good bit of Zelda over the weekend, didn't get to play at all on Saturday but I played Friday and yesterday. It's really fun, and I've died loads (I mean, I die in Zelda a lot anyway). I'm still fairly early on but I love how open-ended it is, how much freedom you have, and just all the little things you can do. The fast travel is great, too.

Just again a bit of anecdotal evidence but I am sitting about 4-5 metres away from my Switch, have been playing with the joycon grip and haven't had any desync issues or anything. I think it's pretty comfortable too. I was playing handheld mode also for a while yesterday evening, and that seemed fine too.

I think my only complaint with the Switch so far is how bare-bones it is. I dunno. I mean, I bought it to play games, but some more bells and whistles would be nice. :v: Actually, one thing which is kind of annoying is that there are no "profiles" as such. I have friend suggestions from Miitomo but I can't see NNIDs or any information, so I don't always know who the people are. As mentioned above, cloud saves would be great too, since everything is stored on the system.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

deadly_pudding posted:

I played Zelda all weekend and now my eyes are probably damaged, but it's worth it. Without looking for stats, I've probably played like 16-20 hours and I've only done one of the 4 major "dungeons". It is a fantastic exploration game.

Also, the speed run that'll probably happen as SGDQ this year will be loving hilarious, because the physics engine is VERY ABUSABLE.

Yep. I didn't think about it until I was in a shrine that had a ball in a maze puzzle. I noticed there wasn't a top on it so I just Super Monkeyball'd that poo poo and flung the ball to the ramp it needed to get to.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I Am Setsuna is getting free Switch-exclusive DLC in April which will add some online features. It'll let you upload your characters data, and you can have battles with downloaded characters from other people (they'll be AI-controlled though). It sounds a bit like the online features of the Bravely games, except instead of helping you, you can fight against them.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/03/setsuna-getting-free-temporal-battle-arena-dlc-april-exclusively-switch/

No idea if the April date is Worldwide, or if it'll be Japan-only first.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

SlayVus posted:

They could possibly be on the truck still. When invoices are finalized, the on hands for the items are automatically changed based on what was sent on the according to the DC. The switches could be sitting in boxes underneath loads of apparel.

I thought this might be the case. Ill have to stop by before work to see if they came in.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there any nifty in store stock trackers for this? My fiancé decided she wants one... yesterday.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Are there any nifty in store stock trackers for this? My fiancé decided she wants one... yesterday.

Walmart is a good place to start.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

I've just been dicking around in the game too. The world feels alive, and not static. In the air there's geese flying in V formation, hawks circling around, butterflies, gnats, fireflies, bats, swarms of moths. On the ground there's lizards, snakes, frogs, and mobs of enemies. You have the sound of crickets, owls, and a wide variety of bird calls. You have dust clouds, dust particles floating around, fiery meteors falling from the sky, the sound of gusts of wind and the brush responding to it. And I haven't left the plateau yet.

When I had my friend try it for the first time, his initial reaction was "this is weird, playing a game like this on a handheld device".

But Nintendo better start schmoozing with developers. Get some drat games on this thing.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Regarding play modes - For some reason I enjoy handheld mode more than docked mode. I like playing games and having things on in the background, so hanging out on the couch while I have SPORTS on the TV is my jam.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep. I didn't think about it until I was in a shrine that had a ball in a maze puzzle. I noticed there wasn't a top on it so I just Super Monkeyball'd that poo poo and flung the ball to the ramp it needed to get to.

I'm fairly certain that's intended because there's another shrine you get to control a platform, and the opposite side is entirely blocked with needles

It's a really great way to make players feel smart

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am hoping they take some time and let more interesting and fleshed out speedrun strategies develop rather than rush one by June just to have it in the marathon.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

man nurse posted:

The wifi on this thing sucks, yo.

I don't get this, are there lots of reports about poo poo wifi? Both 2.4G and 5G? The iFixit teardown showed the Switch got two antennas and a 802.11ac 2x2 chip, but maybe the metal thingy blocks the signals?

My Switch wifi works great which is a good thing because otherwise I might get tempted to hardware mod some fancier antennas in there :downs:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

I am hoping they take some time and let more interesting and fleshed out speedrun strategies develop rather than rush one by June just to have it in the marathon.

It will be so goofy. There are already clips of people cheesing shrines by like doing trickshots with bombs, but I'm curious to see if there's a "get stasis and then rush to Ganon by riding a flying crate" run that's actually viable.

edit:

I don't get this, are there lots of reports about poo poo wifi? Both 2.4G and 5G? The iFixit teardown showed the Switch got two antennas and a 802.11ac 2x2 chip, but maybe the metal thingy blocks the signals?

My Switch wifi works great which is a good thing because otherwise I might get tempted to hardware mod some fancier antennas in there :downs:

I was having some wifi trouble yesterday, but then I saw that my girlfriend had buried the router under a pile of notebooks and Wii U games, so your mileage may vary :v:

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 6, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Nintendo needs to release Animal Crossing on the Switch so I can let my life wither both on the go and at home while I do errands for little animal people and catch bugs

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

parallelodad posted:

There's also the fact that they would have to get a speed run in before Nintendo patches out some important exploit.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cojawfee posted:

There's also the fact that they would have to get a speed run in before Nintendo patches out some important exploit.
Companies are usually pretty light on patching 'exploits' for single-player games, and that seems likely to be particularly true for this game since it's all about player freedom and doofing around.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo needs to release Animal Crossing on the Switch so I can let my life wither both on the go and at home while I do errands for little animal people and catch bugs

Please... d-don't do it Nintendo :gonk:

(Do it)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Pokémon game with the scope / size of breath of the wild would be pretty loving neato

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

parallelodad posted:

Well, even if this years SGDQ has BOTW, that doesn't mean that they can't just add the game again to a future GDQ roster when the speedrun gets significantly re-routed. Or that you couldn't just watch the speedruns yourself outside of GDQ as the run develops. Speedruns don't live or die by GDQ.

Besides, if the first run itself was 5+ hours already, there's a chance they wouldn't accept it anyways, so I don't think there's going to be any issues.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Linx posted:

Please... d-don't do it Nintendo :gonk:

(Do it)

You'll be able to feel all your Bells jingle around in your hands with HD RumbleŽ as you hand them over to Tom Nook.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A Pokémon game with the scope / size of breath of the wild would be pretty loving neato

As dope as that would be the Pokémon company have to pander to the VGC crowd so I doubt it would happen. Pokémon snap or something could probably happen though

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm considering buying Shovel Knight on the eshop site this afternoon to see how reliable the automatic downloading in sleep mode is. It only works like half the time for me on Steam.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

So is there any word on whether this has a digital download policy similar to iPhone/360/PS3/PS4/One/Steam/everything rather than the poo poo one from 3DS/Wii/WiiU?

If I buy something on their store, can I redownload it to a new replacement console with just my Nintendo account without calling Nintendo customer service and filing a police report? What about two Switches simultaneously?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'm fairly certain that's intended because there's another shrine you get to control a platform, and the opposite side is entirely blocked with needles

It's a really great way to make players feel smart

It'l be awful when I find that one. The motion controls did not work well for that kind of precision. I do still keep them on for bows though. I like the slight tilt to finish an aim.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
You can have your account active on one switch, so if you deactivate the old one and then log in on a new one it'll all transfer.

• Locked thread