Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Which one is the green chili that they put in everything in New Mexico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
That's just... green chilies. As in chilies that are green.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

That's just... green chilies. As in chilies that are green.

Well, in the case of New Mexico it's a couple different strains. (Hatches, Big Jims, etc) of some pretty specific peppers that only really grow well around there. Like they aren't putting jalapeños or green bell peppers and everything.

New Mexico green chilies are one of the greatest things ever and every year I try to buy a bushel or two of them and roast then freeze them.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If you're complaining about Bueno green chile products, that's because the company only uses chiles from the Hatch, New Mexico area. Let us have our green chile supremacy please, we need something other than Breaking Bad to be proud of.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bongwizzard posted:

Well, in the case of New Mexico it's a couple different strains. (Hatches, Big Jims, etc) of some pretty specific peppers that only really grow well around there. Like they aren't putting jalapeños or green bell peppers and everything.

New Mexico green chilies are one of the greatest things ever and every year I try to buy a bushel or two of them and roast then freeze them.

I am intrigued by your theories and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

For my question, can anyone identify the equations that the Wise Old Elf is demonstrating on this chalkboard? I'm down with the ammonium perchlorate he has as his propellant but it's been a long time since I took physics and I can't really think of a good way to google search physics equations. I looked at a couple of lists of common equations but couldn't see anything like these.

Click for bigger if you need to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Top equation looks vaguely like some form of gravitation equation, second is the formula for thrust of a rocket engine (force = mass flow * exhaust velocity).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our dishwasher has not been cleaning very well lately, particularly the highball glasses, leaving the white crusty residue you can see in the picture I've included as well as occasional food residue. We've run some cleaner through it, and recently had a repair tech out who cleaned some broken glass (!) out of the trap and turned our water heater up. We ran another thing of cleaner through it when she left, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. What else can I try? We use powdered detergent, and the same thing happens whether or not our water softener is active.

If we have a home appliance repair thread feel free to point me in that direction.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I know this is an obnoxious answer, but the reason "green chili" is marked up so high is because that's what people are willing to pay for it. Tons of convenience food is the same way. I'm not really sure how much frozen pizza dough costs but I'd bet it's a whole lot more than the literal pennies it costs to make it yourself.

Here in the midwest most grocery stores have fresh tomatillos available for around $1-$2/lb and even less if you go to a Latin American grocery store and the reason they're $8/lb at the fancy grocery store is because (again) people will pay that much because most people who shop at the fancy grocery stores are clueless dweebs.

Also for my own curiosity, veni veni veni could you maybe clarify what you mean when you say "green chili"? Store bought salsa verde has tomatillos in it.

Salsa verde:

Chili verde:

The latter. it's one of those things that can be made in a million ways so whether is has tomatillos or not really depends on who's making it. Usually the defining factor is Hatch Chilis (bongwizard knows whats up there) and pork. I'm in Denver but it's pretty much the staple food here and in all of the nearby states.

But either way, like you were saying tomatillos are cheap as hell.

Like, the ingredients in red chili probably cost more, but if you buy Green Chili it's the most expensive thing in a can and once you get into the frozen stuff it's probably like $10 a pound or more.

I get what you are saying with the dough, but if you look at comparable prepared food. Green Chili has a bigger markup than anything I've seen.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
A common argument I see for why the US literally cannot ever have any sort of real social system is the Canadian, French, Danish, etc systems wouldn't scale.

Canada is 10% of the population of the US and is spread extremely thin across a rediculously large geographic area. How does this not work in a country that is 1) much more wealthy and 2) with a higher population density.

Is there any truth to this at all or is it just a frustrating white noise response.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Are there any good places to look for houses for rent? Craigslist was the obvious place to start, but so far out of 29 ads responded to, 24 have been scams. (Almost always the same scam too. These people need to get a new script.)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Methanar posted:

A common argument I see for why the US literally cannot ever have any sort of real social system is the Canadian, French, Danish, etc systems wouldn't scale.

Canada is 10% of the population of the US and is spread extremely thin across a rediculously large geographic area. How does this not work in a country that is 1) much more wealthy and 2) with a higher population density.

Is there any truth to this at all or is it just a frustrating white noise response.

I think it has little to do with scale. I think it has more to do with racial homogeneity. Canada is more ethnically diverse than the US now, but when they got universal healthcare I think they may not have been. People don't like seeing people who look different from them getting anything for "free".

The other major stumbling block in the US is the omnipresence of the "Just World Fallacy". If that 6 year old with leukemia didn't do something wrong, his parents probably did. Or God Has A Plan.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Powered Descent posted:

Are there any good places to look for houses for rent? Craigslist was the obvious place to start, but so far out of 29 ads responded to, 24 have been scams. (Almost always the same scam too. These people need to get a new script.)

Trulia.com? You can search rentals and then filter for single family homes. There are some other real estate sites that do the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powered Descent posted:

(Almost always the same scam too. These people need to get a new script.)

They're possibly doing it intentionally to filter out people who are more likely to spot a scam. By making it obvious to you they make sure you ignore it and don't waste their time, while someone who doesn't spot the repeated scam is likely less aware of scams in general and more likely to fall for one.

Or it's just that it's still working so why bother coming up with something new?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't think I've asked this here, but: how do I get my washing machine to stop stinking? It doesn't smell good in there. I know better than to try running it on empty with detergent to clean it out, too...

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

I don't think I've asked this here, but: how do I get my washing machine to stop stinking? It doesn't smell good in there. I know better than to try running it on empty with detergent to clean it out, too...

Run a load with a cup of white vinegar

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a website/phone app/computer program to help you make those tweet chains, or do people really do that manually?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Methanar posted:

I've always found it helpful to conceive of it in terms of chaos. The bigger the country or institution in terms of population/employees, the slower and more chaotic its inner-workings are. It's an observable fact that the larger the population, the difficulties in rolling out social policies such as universal healthcare seem more pronounced.

This is not to say that greater welfare provision would be impossible in the US at all, but it is a daunting task and politically unpalatable to many areas. In my opinion, the level of social welfare that Scandinavian countries are able to offer is simply impossible for the US to roll out. Of course, certain wealthy states could offer a simulacrum if it were primarily state-run, but that comes with a brand new set of problems.

As a side point, Canadian population density is a red herring because their population is very much concentrated towards two main areas. The vast majority of Canada is essentially unpopulated. And it has never been a question of whether the US can afford it. The US spends twice as much of its GDP on healthcare as the UK does, and the UK has one of the most healthcare generous systems in the entire world (but not the best quality or waiting times).

So in conclusion, it's a sort of white noise answer. But it is a valid roadblock that stands in the way.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hyperlynx posted:

On the hottest wash you can

Don;t forget to take the drawer out and soak it as well.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Hyperlynx posted:

Front load machines stink for most people. (I'm assuming yours is front loading) leave the door open after every wash, wipe around the seal, and some have a "clean" cycle you can run. I find the biggest culprit is the type of soap you use. I use a German powdered soap and have never had issues with any sort of smell in 3 years.

If it's a top load then I don't know because I've never known a top load to stink unless there's something wrong.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have a front loader and it had some black slime growing in the folds of the rubber ring. A bit of scraping it loose with an old toohbrush and then running the machine on a hot wash with a dishwasher tablet cleaned that right up.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Washing your whites with a chlorine bleach helps, too. And as someone already said, leave the door open between washes, at least until the water has evaporated from the folds in the rubber seal. That's where your stink is coming from.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Methanar posted:

Look up OECD social expenditure for some interesting data.

The US government actually spends slightly more per capita on social services than Canada does. The government also spends more (a lot more) per person on healthcare than any other country in the world.

One can look at that data and draw the conclusion that a Scandinavian model welfare system is untenable. Of course another conclusion is that USA's current social welfare system is extraordinarily inefficient. Anybody arguing that welfare would cost too much has to admit that there is already something seriously wrong with the current, largely privatized model.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 6, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beachcomber posted:

I think it has little to do with scale. I think it has more to do with racial homogeneity. Canada is more ethnically diverse than the US now, but when they got universal healthcare I think they may not have been. People don't like seeing people who look different from them getting anything for "free".

The other major stumbling block in the US is the omnipresence of the "Just World Fallacy". If that 6 year old with leukemia didn't do something wrong, his parents probably did. Or God Has A Plan.

Canada didn't have their UHC system fully nationwide until like the late 70s/early 80s. Before then, it was a province-by-province thing that had started in the 40s with just one province providing hospital services at a limited selection of public hospitals - they didn't even cover visiting a normal doctor.. So by the time Canada actually got it as a whole, it was about as diverse as they are now, slightly less Asian immigration than currently.

For that matter an American UHC system will probably have to proceed the same way, state-by-state over decades just as Canada's went province-by-province over decades. You could argue that states like California and Massachusetts have already started that path by opening up the health care programs they currently have for the poor, which may slowly evolve into programs that could eventually cover most people.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Do we have a thread for identifying gem stones/rocks? I tried to get a good picture of what it looks like looking through them but it was hard to get a good one. They almost look smokey.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fruits of the sea posted:

Look up OECD social expenditure for some interesting data.

The government also spends more (a lot more) per person on healthcare than any other country in the world.

I believe this is actually incorrect. While the TOTAL expediture on healthcare per capita in the US is the highest in the developed world, the public portion I think is only a little less than half of the total spending, the rest coming from private insurance and self-pay.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Trastion posted:

Do we have a thread for identifying gem stones/rocks? I tried to get a good picture of what it looks like looking through them but it was hard to get a good one. They almost look smokey.

Coloured background makes it impossible to tell and the first picture is just too blurry. Chances are high that it is just smoky quartz, however.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

flowinprose posted:

I believe this is actually incorrect. While the TOTAL expediture on healthcare per capita in the US is the highest in the developed world, the public portion I think is only a little less than half of the total spending, the rest coming from private insurance and self-pay.

Not according to this chart:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/01/23/chart_us_government_spends_more_on_health_care_than_the_canadian_government.html

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

This is just another reason why you are my favorite poster.

Next time you roast some hatch chilies, make a double batch and let me buy the extra off you. No joke.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jeza posted:

Coloured background makes it impossible to tell and the first picture is just too blurry. Chances are high that it is just smoky quartz, however.

Geologist here. Absolutely looks like smoky quartz river stones (well rounded means they've spent a long time tumbling along a river bed) but taking an in-focus photo on a white background would help. PM me if you have more rock questions, or just post them here, goes for everyone.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

washing machine stuff
Thanks, folks. I'll try some combination of that. I had a bit of a look at the vinegar thing and found apparently Miele recommend against it because it weakens the rubber. Not that I have a Miele machine, so :shrug:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

hooah posted:

Our dishwasher has not been cleaning very well lately, particularly the highball glasses, leaving the white crusty residue you can see in the picture I've included as well as occasional food residue. We've run some cleaner through it, and recently had a repair tech out who cleaned some broken glass (!) out of the trap and turned our water heater up. We ran another thing of cleaner through it when she left, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. What else can I try? We use powdered detergent, and the same thing happens whether or not our water softener is active.

If we have a home appliance repair thread feel free to point me in that direction.

Look for Lemi-Shine, which is basically citric acid. My glasses used to come out clouded but are clear as if they were new once I started using it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a website/phone app/computer program to help you make those tweet chains, or do people really do that manually?

Some of the Twitter management apps have tweet chain options, yes. Usually it's just one of a hundred features of a paid social management suite.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

This is just another reason why you are my favorite poster.

Next time you roast some hatch chilies, make a double batch and let me buy the extra off you. No joke.

Ah shucks.

Well, the 2 boxes so we did last year are all my wife I can handle by ourselves. After roasting you need to steam them in a paper bag for a little bit, then remove the charred outer skins in a tub of water. The water becomes full of the pepper oil and your hands tingle for hours afterwards. Not to mention the inevitable cross-contamination to one's eyes, face or genitals.

Tell you what, Fresh Market and Wegmans are the two local grocery store chains that sell them. They are generally only available in large quantities for like two weeks every fall, sometime in August/September end it seems like every other year I either forget to start checking or only realize they're available I'm about to leave town for work. Give me a nudge at the end of summer if you remember and maybe I'll do a little Goonmeet to roast up a poo poo ton of them. My little hillbilly grill is pretty inefficient for large amounts but it wouldn't be too hard to whip up a bingo-style cage roaster like the grocery stores use.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's no way to subscribe to just part of a youtube channel, right? For example, I like "This is not Happening", a stand-up show on Comedy Central, but if I subscribe to their channel I get all the other stuff I'm not interested in flooding my feed as well. Some channels are just way too massive with too much content, which sucks if you're only interested in one or two videos out of a dozen they upload every day.

e:
Like, most of those channels are pretty diligent in maintaining separate playlists for each series, and I wish I could just subscribe to that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In old videos, say from the 1940's and 1950's, in the opening credits there are what appear to be fonts and digital fades. How was this accomplished, technically speaking?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

baquerd posted:

In old videos, say from the 1940's and 1950's, in the opening credits there are what appear to be fonts and digital fades. How was this accomplished, technically speaking?

Just plain old film compositing. You put the graphics onto one film strip (say, take pictures of a title card or cel animation), put it on top of the source film strip, then expose them together onto a new third strip. I don't know specifically how a fade would be achieved, but it'd be some process of exposing the source strip onto a new strip. The original Star Wars movies earned some historic notability for innovative transitions, and the answer to how they did them is "really loving tediously"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dupersaurus posted:

Just plain old film compositing. You put the graphics onto one film strip (say, take pictures of a title card or cel animation), put it on top of the source film strip, then expose them together onto a new third strip. I don't know specifically how a fade would be achieved, but it'd be some process of exposing the source strip onto a new strip. The original Star Wars movies earned some historic notability for innovative transitions, and the answer to how they did them is "really loving tediously"

Incidentally, the way Star Wars and other such movies did those effects? It usually resulted in the destruction of the original negatives and master footage for a scene from before the effects went in. This is part of why you have scenes in the later remastered editions that are off a bit or have the colors look a bit weird, those scenes were rebuilt from alternate takes and shots of the same scene since the original master footage was destroyed in the process of adding effects - and the more effects any scene had had added the more likely it was that the master was unrecoverable. The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi only had a small amount of those problems, because those times around they had the budget to make nice copies of the master footage first, and then add the effects shots using that, which they couldn't afford on the original Star Wars' budget.

(Of course ol George Lucas took this as license to change a whole bunch more stuff then was necessary, but that's just how he is.)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

That chart only compares the US and Canada. The original claim was " The government also spends more (a lot more) per person on healthcare than any other country in the world. " The bolded part was what I was stating was incorrect.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ah, you're right. Remove private spending and the US is 8th in the world.

Looking more closely, the opposite is true. In fact, the US has the highest private spending on healthcare per capita. By a huge margin :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

There's no way to subscribe to just part of a youtube channel, right? For example, I like "This is not Happening", a stand-up show on Comedy Central, but if I subscribe to their channel I get all the other stuff I'm not interested in flooding my feed as well. Some channels are just way too massive with too much content, which sucks if you're only interested in one or two videos out of a dozen they upload every day.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't, and it's really annoying. Especially with some of the huge channels with different people making different shows under the same banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Can anyone explain chicken/lamb pulaou? It's tasty enough, but its somewhat harrowing to eat because you're always getting stray bone chips and fragments in your mouth. The best way I've found to eat it is at home using mostly your fingers and being willing to spit bones out. Is that correct? Would de-boning the meat change the flavor that much?