Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Isn't Daly sponsored by that vertical groove driver now too? They claim that it reduces sidespin somehow lol. From what I've seen it's actually a decent club if you get fit but since it's nonadjustable and hard to demo I doubt they're selling many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

They should claim the vertical grooves stop slippage when there is water on the clubface. Bubba will put it in his bag.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I always find these kind of clubs curious. The amount of money that the big makers put into R&D is crazy and you'd have to think they have at least modelled the results that a vertical groove would generate.

If they found any improvements then they would be selling their own version.

Reminds me years ago being at a golf expo and Palmer were demoing drivers with no grip but the graphite shaft was thick like the old Taylor Made bubble shafts except the thickness was kept through to the top of the shaft, so it resembled a normal grip in the hand. The funny thing was you needed a special glove to get any friction on the shaft with your right (top) hand. The idea was to lighten the club I think. Can you imagine how a raw graphite shaft would handle going in and out of a bag without getting scratched to the poo poo.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 3, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Digging the Animal Collective Master's promo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grooves in a driver don't matter hth

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
That $105 MG rangefinder is legit as well. Works great.

https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

How long have you been using it? I have a handheld GPS and it seems like on certain courses the yardage varies wildly. I've been thinking about buying a rangefinder for a while but the $3-500 price point is a little much for me.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

This thing is awesome. I haven't used it long but my playing partner on sundays has had one for a couple years and it is dead nuts on. Anything longer than than 230 yards, I'm laying up anyway. It's also nice to have a yardage to the 100.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I think playing a round of golf at 7500+ feet is going on my bucket list. DJ ~320 in the air with a 2 iron on the first tee, good lord.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

I think playing a round of golf at 7500+ feet is going on my bucket list. DJ ~320 in the air with a 2 iron on the first tee, good lord.

Welcome to my home. My local course is at 7200 or so.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
First pennants game won today 2 and 1. Super happy especially since it was against the bloke who stepped on my line twice on purpose last time we played.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Dimebag posted:

First pennants game won today 2 and 1. Super happy especially since it was against the bloke who stepped on my line twice on purpose last time we played.

Congrats! Karma ftw

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Just ordered one. Been wanting a range finder for a while now and can't beat the price and the reviews on this are great.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Welcome to my home. My local course is at 7200 or so.

7900 here, it's fun but I feel like a total weenie when I play at normal altitude

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Sea level here. Never even thought about it til now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It was 33F when I teed off today.

I'm stupid and golf is stupid.

This sweater is magic, gently caress technology, it's magic.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/apparel/shirts-tops/mizuno-golf-hayate-v-neck-sweater/

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

It was 33F when I teed off today.

I'm stupid and golf is stupid.

This sweater is magic, gently caress technology, it's magic.

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/apparel/shirts-tops/mizuno-golf-hayate-v-neck-sweater/

I have one of these and it's awesome for the 10 days or so it was under 40 in Florida this year
http://www.shoebuy.com/under-armour-coldgear-infrared-evo-mock/792706/1700963?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla-_-none-_-none-_-none

I hit a shot I was proud of today. 195 yards 4 iron.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

The Maestro posted:

Sea level here. Never even thought about it til now.

I've also never thought about it as I live just a smidge above sea level where it doesn't even count really. However I am curious now, but there isn't anywhere high enough around me where it would be that drastic. Highest I can get within driving distance is like 2500ft

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I'm in the market for new irons. I'm a very average proportioned individual and according to Ping's dot system (and like everything else in life, for that matter) I'm standard everything. With that in mind would it make sense to just go demo a bunch of clubs and buy the ones that I hit best? Or should I still get "fitted"?

What about buying used? I'm not opposed to going that route since there are such great deals to be had but all I ever hear is "GET FITTED!!!" and I'm not sure how that works with used clubs.

I don't have any major issues with my current off the rack irons except the shaft is too flexible since I have gotten better and my SS has increased quite a bit since I got them. They are just old... I got them new/unused but they were already a several years old model. At this point they are beat to hell and approaching 10 years from their original release date so I'd like to take advantage of some of the new technology, plus it's always fun to get a new toy. I play more than enough golf to justify it.

Thoughts?

ironlung fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 8, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I guess it depends on how often you play. If it's at least once a weekend then I'd get fitted for new. Otherwise buy second hand with stiff shafts and do a swing test to get the lie angle correct and maybe change the length.

I tried out the Ping iBlades the other day - goddamn they're sexy. Can't justify $1, 400 when I recently bought Mizuno MP25s tho :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

ironlung posted:

I'm in the market for new irons. I'm a very average proportioned individual and according to Ping's dot system (and like everything else in life, for that matter) I'm standard everything. With that in mind would it make sense to just go demo a bunch of clubs and buy the ones that I hit best? Or should I still get "fitted"?

What about buying used? I'm not opposed to going that route since there are such great deals to be had but all I ever hear is "GET FITTED!!!" and I'm not sure how that works with used clubs.

I don't have any major issues with my current off the rack irons except the shaft is too flexible since I have gotten better and my SS has increased quite a bit since I got them. They are just old... I got them new/unused but they were already a several years old model. At this point they are beat to hell and approaching 10 years from their original release date so I'd like to take advantage of some of the new technology, plus it's always fun to get a new toy. I play more than enough golf to justify it.

Thoughts?

you should go buy some Cobra Forged One Lengths so I don't have to.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Got mine today. Hitting random things around the house seems to work well. I have a tee time saturday where I'll really put it through its paces. Will report back then.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Got mine today. Hitting random things around the house seems to work well. I have a tee time saturday where I'll really put it through its paces. Will report back then.

Please do because that's a trigger I'm 90% ready to pull.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I won a Nikon Coolshot 20 as part of a "closest to the pin" contest in a scramble tournament last week.

Goes for $199, haven't opened it up, don't need it (I have a Tour v3).

Anybody wanna make an offer before I post it to ebay? I'll cut goons some dealz.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Kameh posted:

I won a Nikon Coolshot 20 as part of a "closest to the pin" contest in a scramble tournament last week.

Goes for $199, haven't opened it up, don't need it (I have a Tour v3).

Anybody wanna make an offer before I post it to ebay? I'll cut goons some dealz.

I also own the Nikon, jump on this guys if you have the cash it's a really good little unit. Went for $75 less than the base Bushnell in Australia which it matches feature for feature easily.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I was going to blow my tip money I'll make bartending in st. Pattys day on a new putter...

Guys do I need this Nikon instead? I don't have one but was planning on getting the $100 if I got tired of bumming the range finder of my playing partner this season. Otoh I spent the entire offseason convincing myself I had so many three puts last year was because I needed a new putter.

I should probably read up on range finder features because I don't even know what is offered.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

dangling pointer posted:

I was going to blow my tip money I'll make bartending in st. Pattys day on a new putter...

Guys do I need this Nikon instead? I don't have one but was planning on getting the $100 if I got tired of bumming the range finder of my playing partner this season. Otoh I spent the entire offseason convincing myself I had so many three puts last year was because I needed a new putter.

I should probably read up on range finder features because I don't even know what is offered.

The main differences in rangefinders is they either offer slope readings(not competition legal) or not. The coolshot 20 doesn't which means it does not take into account elevation changes when calculating distance.

I've found I tend to use mine very little on my home course as I'm comfortable with distances however when playing away from my home course I'll use it on most second shots to get an idea of distance to the pin rather than middle of the green as the plates show.

It's helped me more with working out my distances from <150m more than anything. Though once I hit 110 or less I've got 3 clubs I can hit which is currently the bane of my game.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

The group I play with will travel to different courses on Sundays so I'm always playing with people that have rangefinders when I'm playing unfamiliar courses. They also only play with carts.

During the week I'll play my home course with whoever and walk but I also don't need it much there. At least that's what I tell myself because I don't have one to use.
*licks finger, holds it up in the wind* Par 3 is playing 240 today guys.

I guess the question is which one do I get to get back to a single digit handicap for the first time since high school 🤔

And don't say neither buy lessons because that's boring.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 9, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

neither, buy lessons

get the rangefinder, they're a big help

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rangefinder all the way.

If you want a change in putters, get something for $50 used.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
If your having problems with your short game you're gonna want to invest in a new driver. Something low spin with an x flex tour use only shaft. Anything over 7 degrees is basically a wedge.

Out of interest what style of putter are you using at the moment?

Whoops, forgot this isn't GolfWRX...

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 10, 2017

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I've been using an odyssey white steel #5 since 08 I think?

You guys talked me off the ledge of buying a putter. Going to spend more time doing drills on the practice green.

Also I take lessons every year:ssh:

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 10, 2017

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Heading to my first PGA event this weekend, the Valspar Championship - it's about a mile from my house. I've been taking lessons and the pro told me to focus on the range to watch them warm up. Any other tips for a first timer?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Heading to my first PGA event this weekend, the Valspar Championship - it's about a mile from my house. I've been taking lessons and the pro told me to focus on the range to watch them warm up. Any other tips for a first timer?

Check out a map of the course and find an area where you can bounce between 3-4 holes pretty easily as groups come through. Range time is awesome to watch.

Above all:

DO NOT BE THAT GUY THAT YELLS poo poo AFTER EVERY TEE SHOT

And have fun :cheers:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Yeah, the range is always worth checking out. It'll humble you pretty quickly to see these guys hit one great shot after another. I also find the putting green interesting.

If you've got a favorite player, follow them for the day. See how they prepare for shots (they always have a pre-shot routine, and it's always the same), and see what type of shots they play around the greens.

If you don't have a favorite player yet, then look at the course map and try to find a spot between holes that allows you to watch multiple groups at once. Often there will be holes bordering each other, and you can sit in one spot and observe multiple greens or fairways.

The beer will be expensive.

The clothing will be expensive.

Parking will take a while, especially if it's a shuttle service.

I think each tournament is different, but if they allow cell phones on the course, MAKE SURE IT IS SILENT. Not on low volume, not on vibrate. You don't want to be that guy.

DJExile posted:

DO NOT BE THAT GUY THAT YELLS poo poo AFTER EVERY TEE SHOT

Ugh. I'm still naive to think that this shouldn't have to be said, but apparently it does. Please don't do this.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 10, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I think each tournament is different, but if they allow cell phones on the course, MAKE SURE IT IS SILENT. Not on low volume, not on vibrate. You don't want to be that guy.

Oh yeah 100% this. Full bore silent or off.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely not the type to yell anything at an event like this. I'm thinking of just following Stenson, depending on his score today and tee time tomorrow. Besides that I'll probably just camp out at the range. My wife is coming with and I'm not sure how much golf she'll be able to watch in a day.

81 and sunny tomorrow!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Kaddish posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm definitely not the type to yell anything at an event like this. I'm thinking of just following Stenson, depending on his score today and tee time tomorrow. Besides that I'll probably just camp out at the range. My wife is coming with and I'm not sure how much golf she'll be able to watch in a day.

81 and sunny tomorrow!

Stenson is one of the best ball-strikers of all time. I watched him on the range in Houston a few years ago. He hit everything on a string, and the sound...:gizz: It's incredible to watch.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Please do because that's a trigger I'm 90% ready to pull.

Buy it.

Works awesome and as accurate as the $250 range finder a friend has.

It's so awesome finally being able to get exact distances to the pin now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got back from the Valspar Championship awhile ago. Also had to stop at the range since they made it look so easy, surely I can copy their techniques. Seriously, I sat and watched Stenson at the range and he does something before every shot that I hadn't noticed before. Right before his backswing, he visibly shifts his weight to the back foot. My pro has been telling me I haven't been heavy enough on my backfoot and, sure enough, this worked for me. So that's awesome.

I also watched Kuchar, Hadwin (current leader), Hunter Mahan, Ian Poulter, Graham McDowell, and others I'm forgetting at the range. My wife is a saint and sat with me for a couple hours. Also sat in the stands for some drives and watched some greens, then called it a day. Awesome golf experience and I think we'll make this a yearly tradition.

Also, the control and power these people put on the ball doesn't come through via television. Watching them hit balls in real life is amazing.