Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It's cool, they had Annie selling her soul as a safety net the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It's cool, they had Annie selling her soul as a safety net the whole time.
Sure, that may help with a gut wound.
But I doubt the 'pomps could have healed sword through the center of the skull several minutes earlier.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sure, that may help with a gut wound.
But I doubt the 'pomps could have healed sword through the center of the skull several minutes earlier.

Why not? A fatal wound is a fatal wound. They completely erased it. Also, that wound is a bit too high to be the gut.

Besides, it's probably easier to survive a hole in your brain then one in your heart, depending on what parts are damaged of course.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
A sword through the head meant she probably would have been dead before they even showed up. I'm not sure exactly how their rules work, but reviving the dead is a step beyond healing the mortally wounded.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hey, someone calling out Annie's recklessness with the lives of others. This comic is really good.

Lurdiak posted:

J'ACCUSE!

This is really fun to say at the end of murder in the dark, but I've been seeing it around. Does it come from something specific or is it just because it's really fun to dramatically point and say J'ACCUSE!?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cavelcade posted:

This is really fun to say at the end of murder in the dark, but I've been seeing it around. Does it come from something specific or is it just because it's really fun to dramatically point and say J'ACCUSE!?

quote:

"J'accuse ...!" (French pronunciation: ​[ʒaˈkyz], "I accuse...!") was an open letter published on 13 January 1898 in the newspaper L'Aurore by the influential writer Émile Zola.

In the letter, Zola addressed President of France Félix Faure and accused the government of anti-Semitism and the unlawful jailing of Alfred Dreyfus, a French Army General Staff officer who was sentenced to lifelong penal servitude for espionage. Zola pointed out judicial errors and lack of serious evidence. The letter was printed on the front page of the newspaper and caused a stir in France and abroad. Zola was prosecuted for libel and found guilty on 23 February 1898. To avoid imprisonment, he fled to England, returning home in June 1899.

Other pamphlets proclaiming Dreyfus's innocence include Bernard Lazare's A Miscarriage of Justice: The Truth about the Dreyfus Affair (November 1896). As a result of the popularity of the letter, even in the English-speaking world, J'accuse! has become a common generic expression of outrage and accusation against someone powerful.

The murder in the dark thing also helped popularize it as an expression to be used when accusing dramatically in broader circumstances. It's just a way to accuse someone while being more dramatic basically. I'm pretty sure Frasier did it once per season.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Annie's plan was pretty terrible, but if people knew what the plan was and they went along with it anyway, they only have themselves to blame.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

We don't know what she told them and also fairies are really dumb and easy to trick. She really let Tony down imo.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Antimony Carver did nothing wrong. :colbert:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

JuniperCake posted:

Besides, it's probably easier to survive a hole in your brain then one in your heart, depending on what parts are damaged of course.

Is that true? I'd imagine a sword which hits you through the eye and comes out the other side would be an instant death, especially if Jeanne pulls it back out with some kind of force or twist, while a stab in the heart would cause you to bleed out. That happens quite fast, but still in a matter of minutes. Maybe you would die from shock earlier than that.
But I do admit that I am not a professional when it comes to skewering people and or fairies. And it might be possible that she'd have hit only unnecessary parts, like the communications center, or the emotion lobe.

Either way, she would most likely have been dead by the time Annie came back. The attack on Smitty happened just as they returned, while Ayilu was attacked way earlier. (Kat managed to pick a lock in that time frame.) And raising the dead seems like a thing which is, if possible, really forbidden. They didn't revive Mort either.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 6, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Many people here post despite severe brain trauma

sourse: my psots

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

edit: now I kinda wonder if the Seelie/Unseelie Court exists in this universe (yes I know that those terms only apply to Scottish traditions involving the Folk) and Gunnerkrigg is just full of the freaks that were too annoying to stick around there.

Fun fact: The comic was going to be called Unseelie Court before I went with Gunnerkrigg. It would have been a very different comic.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cavelcade posted:

Hey, someone calling out Annie's recklessness with the lives of others. This comic is really good.

I may be missing the joke, but have you heard of the Dreyfus Affair?

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 6, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bilirubin posted:

I may be missing the joke, but have you heard of the Dreyfus Affair?

Yours and Lurdiak's posts are the first I heard of it, but I'm looking to telling my friends about it now because that's really cool.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd imagine a sword which hits you through the eye and comes out the other side would be an instant death.

I'm not sure about this. It would be incredibly traumatic, but I think having a thin sword going through the top of your brain would be unlikely to kill you immediately if the brain stem was left untouched. Famously, Phineas Gage survived impalement from a tamping iron, so I would expect that something even thinner would be less lethal as well. The reason why headshots are so deadly is because they tend to leave a wide cone of damage and sometimes ricochet around the skull after entry.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Elysiume posted:

A sword through the head meant she probably would have been dead before they even showed up. I'm not sure exactly how their rules work, but reviving the dead is a step beyond healing the mortally wounded.
I'm not so sure. Ayilu has already died and been revived once, and souls don't go anywhere until psychopomps show up anyways so it wouldn't matter if they were a bit late.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

Tea-san posted:

Fun fact: The comic was going to be called Unseelie Court before I went with Gunnerkrigg. It would have been a very different comic.

Well I hope it's something we get to see some day. That sounds amazing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
'Dead' is kind of an ambiguous thing. Used to be you were dead if you stopped breathing, then if your heart stopped, now you brain needs to be damaged enough.

Given that souls are a thing though 'dead' would probably be when your soul isn't in your body anymore. And even then, well, Annie.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

It's very much true. A lot of what we know about the brain has been from people who have suffered severe brain injuries and observing the specific impairments they've suffered because of it. Phineas Gage is a pretty famous example, as was mentioned already. HM is another example, less drastic injury but we learned a lot about how memories are stored because of him. etc. If I recall, there was even one individual who lost almost 60% of his brain mass to a disease and still managed to function halfway normally. Especially if the damage happens during a young age, the brain is very good at adapting and making the most of what it's got.

Mind you if your brain stem/lower brain area gets hosed up you'll be dead pretty quick as those parts regulate vital processes like breathing but you can survive quite a bit of brain damage otherwise. You'll suffer for it one way or another (there really are no nonessential parts) but it won't necessarily directly kill you.

If your heart is punctured and can't pump blood though, you're pretty hosed. Gut wounds are also extremely dangerous but that's in the category of you'll live for a little bit but you'll really wish you didn't. As far as inevitability of death, I wouldn't put those as less than a head injury. Anyways, that digression out of the way.

How lethal that injury would have been is a moot point, thinking about it. Annie did endanger her friends and if she didn't warn the faeries of the risk beforehand then it's legit accusation. Presumably everyone else knew the risks, but it's possible the faeries didn't. Though it seems likely the psychopomps could have intervened if Blue got stabbed unless faeries don't work the same way people do which could very well be the case. We know the green dude could be taken but there could be some special exception with the faeries especially with this deal they have between the forest and the court.

On a side note, I wonder if the psychopomps know of it and if it affects their work at all. That might be a plot point later, who knows.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was joking about the safety net, but I figure raising the dead is within a psychopomp's power if someone else hasn't collected the soul. Just heal the injured body and then put the soul back inside it. It might be something they wouldn't do, but it's probably something they could do. (Then again, probably more important than the magic rules is that if they could have brought Smitty back from the dead, then the scene loses a lot of tension because Annie doesn't have to make her decision before he bleeds out.)

Tea-san posted:

Huh, interesting. Now that you mention it, I can see the connection, in the sense of the Court and the Forest being two sides of the same coin, equal but opposite hierarchies.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's going to be interesting to see how Red acts when she's legitimately angry. You don't see the former forest-ers showing a lot of serious emotions very often.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm not convinced she's doing that now. There's a good chance that the next page will be her thanking Annie for helping her realise her true feelings by putting them both in mortal danger

Maybe even asking her to do it again in the hope that the same thing will happen to Blue Ayilu

"Oh please, please get me almost stabbed through the head by a terrifying monster!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Harsh, but true.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's going to be interesting to see how Red acts when she's legitimately angry. You don't see the former forest-ers showing a lot of serious emotions very often.

I'm really enjoying seeing this side of her.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This is a quality chapter so far!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
If Red was truly mad at Annie for the whole almost dying thing, I don't she woulda brought her along for the naming party.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

If Red was truly mad at Annie for the whole almost dying thing, I don't she woulda brought her along for the naming party.

I dunno, fairy behavior is not exacty what I'd call logical

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tea-san posted:

I adore fairies, especially when they're depicted as dark and creepy, so Unseelie Court sounds like something I would have loved.

But then I also love Gunnerkrigg Court exactly the way it is, I guess everything worked out for the best!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I adore fairies, especially when they're depicted as dark and creepy, so Unseelie Court sounds like something I would have loved.

But then I also love Gunnerkrigg Court exactly the way it is, I guess everything worked out for the best!

How are the GC fairies not dark and creepy? They're pretty alien in their thoughts and emotions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

How are the GC fairies not dark and creepy? They're pretty alien in their thoughts and emotions.

"My name is <snuffle>"

fuckedddddd up

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's pretty simple actually. Seelie court faeries are all schmendricks, while Unseelie court faeries are all jabronis. Now you can understand the rich lore of these people (they're jackasses).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

BrightWing posted:

She clearly has a disconnect between recognizing she is feeling an emotion and then acting "appropriately" in regards to those feelings.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Looks like someone forgot to pass out the informed consent paperwork (and liability release forms) before the start of their little adventure :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Red is climbing the top turnbuckle to deliver a devastating elbow drop!

I don't think Annie's getting back up! :vince:

Seriously though Red is the last person I expected to articulately pick apart Annie's lovely lovely decisions like this. She has exactly the right amount of tact (none) to give a necessary reality check.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 8, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone's always giving Annie a hard time.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
drat Red, Annie's not gonna survive this blitzkrieg of truth bombs you're dropping.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Part of me expects this to be a daydream/fantasy and we'll snap back to the river where Andrew is bleeding out and Annie can't bring herself to say yes to the psychopomps.

Regardless though, the bullshit-calling has begun! Hear ye hear ye!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stabbed right in the heart Annie!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There Bias Two posted:

Oh the GC fairies are definitely those thing and they're great. My one problem with them is that they're not around more often.

Also, Red is dropping so many truth nukes that I doubt there will be any survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Geez, I hadn't thought of it this way. Annie basically suckered Ayilu into risking her life in exchange for a word that she can call herself. The whole "send Jeanne into the ether" thing seemed really just and noble until people started bleeding.

Also, can I just point out that not many stories have the balls to set up a major goal, work towards it and accomplish it, THEN start morally dissecting it the way Gunnerkrigg is doing now. Yer a good'un, Tom.