Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

So is there any word on whether this has a digital download policy similar to iPhone/360/PS3/PS4/One/Steam/everything rather than the poo poo one from 3DS/Wii/WiiU?

If I buy something on their store, can I redownload it to a new replacement console with just my Nintendo account without calling Nintendo customer service and filing a police report? What about two Switches simultaneously?

Dude I wouldn't count on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

All this talk of bad wifi for the Switch. I downloaded the system update and Zelda update in under 5 minutes. Wifi works flawlessly for me.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Loopoo posted:

All this talk of bad wifi for the Switch. I downloaded the system update and Zelda update in under 5 minutes. Wifi works flawlessly for me.

Wifi seems fine once it's connected, but it has trouble getting a connection for a lot of people. I get two bars when it's ~5 ft from my router. Which works fine but is still odd.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Elmon posted:

Wifi seems fine once it's connected, but it has trouble getting a connection for a lot of people. I get two bars when it's ~5 ft from my router. Which works fine but is still odd.

Same, but my Wii U is the same way and it didn't really impact anything. Splatoon matches aren't laggy, and so on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AdmiralViscen posted:

So is there any word on whether this has a digital download policy similar to iPhone/360/PS3/PS4/One/Steam/everything rather than the poo poo one from 3DS/Wii/WiiU?

If I buy something on their store, can I redownload it to a new replacement console with just my Nintendo account without calling Nintendo customer service and filing a police report? What about two Switches simultaneously?

Yes and no. You can activate your account on any switch you want now, but only if it's not on another switch. You can also deactivate your account, but you have to do it from the switch your account is on.

So if it's broken or stolen you need to call Nintendo to deactivate your account still, but you don't need a report or anything. I don't know what proof you need that you want your console deactivated, probably just some personable identifiable information for the account you're getting off the old switch.

So it's a half step forward. It's really easy to move your account now without a complicated transfer process, and you don't have to have both Switches at the same time, but you still have to have access to the Switch your account is currently on to get it off. Hopefully they can add a page to their Nintendo account page so you could do it remotely.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any luck finding a long, right angle charge cable for an undocked Switch?

Also that $40 hard case for the entire kit seems real nice. Gonna grab one when it comes out (March 20th in the US).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So, any power bank I use with a cellphone should be able to work with the Switch, right? My power bank says "Capacity: 20400 mAh/ 3.7V / 75.48Wh", and it's got two output ports, one 5V 1A, and one 5V 2A. Anything I should know?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I probably put in over 20 hours of Zelda over the weekend and am trying to find a way to take a half day today. Goddamn. Both dungeons I've done so far have been cool, and two shrines in particular stood out to me, will spoiler their locations as they're both very very worth going out of your way for:
From the fishing town in the far southeast, steal a boat and paddle out to the island in the very far southeast corner of the map - you will come up against the edge of the map trying to paddle around the enemy boat by the sand bar.
Find your way onto the crab-shaped rock formation northwest of Death Mountain in the lava, the mine cart rail goes to it. Climb Down from the top of it and around the lip, jumping off the wall to float down (you probably can find a way here via minecart?).

Kind of loving the way that me and the two friends who are all playing this just keep messaging each other "did you see this" or "make sure you go there" - the world is massive and dense and it definitely captured the "you need to talk to your friends to find everything" feel of Zelda. Granted I'm sure that is going to be less and less true as every inch of the game is dissected for speed runs, which are going to be amazing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Argue posted:

So, any power bank I use with a cellphone should be able to work with the Switch, right? My power bank says "Capacity: 20400 mAh/ 3.7V / 75.48Wh", and it's got two output ports, one 5V 1A, and one 5V 2A. Anything I should know?

Use a good USB-C cable from a reliable brand like Anker, and also most batteries like that charge slower than the Nintendo adapter, so expect games with heavy resource usage like Zelda to still outpace the incoming power.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

deadly_pudding posted:

Use a good USB-C cable from a reliable brand like Anker, and also most batteries like that charge slower than the Nintendo adapter, so expect games with heavy resource usage like Zelda to still outpace the incoming power.

People already said that for example the Anker PowerCore+ charges the Switch in Zelda fast enough that it won't drop below 99 % (that's with a USB-C port).

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I've probably put 10-15 hours into Zelda already and I'm only on the first dungeon right now. I just have to finish the boss there and then I can move on, but goddamn this game is big. I keep on moving toward an objective and then getting sidetracked by little puzzles or shrines or things to do for people. It's incredible and it's making work a little hard to do at the moment.

I also played Snipperclips with a couple people on Friday night and it was a blast. The only problem we had is that if you play three player, you have to play the four player puzzles and one of you has to play as two... people? It was annoying, so we just split into twos and did it that way instead. Still lots of fun, though.

I only have two sets of Joycons and no pro controller, but I'm quite pleased with the Joycons. I found them surprisingly comfortable for using sideways, and the grip actually feels pretty decent. I was worried it would be too small and when I first started playing Zelda I had a bit of an issue with the placement of everything, but after a half hour or so it felt just fine. I'm sure the pro controller is better, but I'm fine with just Joycons for now. I did get the desync thing happening, but only for a second or so. It seemed to just fix itself, so that was nice.

I think the thing that impresses me is how seamless it was to get everything going. I bought the WiiU at launch and it was a piece of poo poo. The UI was laggy and lovely, the day one update took forever with the lovely wifi and it needed to be babysat to make sure it would download at all. The Switch was super slick in comparison. I just did what the prompts told me, it downloaded the update in about 30 seconds, and then I was ready to play some Zelda and download Snipperclips. The actual OS and experience is quite Spartan, for sure, but I don't care so much because Zelda is so good. I think the lack of features would be a much bigger deal for me if we didn't have a GOTY candidate to gently caress around with for the next month or so, but we do so I'm pretty satisfied for now.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I had a moment where the Switch went from this is neat to this could be something special. I took my Switch with me in handheld mode to my folks house and I realized if I get a spare dock and leave it at my family's vacation home all I have to bring the Switch itself and I can play stuff on the tv without having to cart everything around with me like a PC or another console. That'd be super cool and now I've just been thing of how drat versatile the thing is

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is there a way to select which service you share a screenshot with? I Linked both twitter and fb but I think it's only letting me do facebook.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Is there a way to select which service you share a screenshot with? I Linked both twitter and fb but I think it's only letting me do facebook.
When you go to Share, it defaults to the service which you last used. There's an option at the top of the screen to... switch.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
So after Zelda what do you do with your Switch?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Samara posted:

Scalp it to idiots

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Samara posted:

Trade it for Bitcoins

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

in true nintendo fashion, everywhere here is sold out of anything Switch and have no idea when / if they'll get any more :thumbsup:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Samara posted:

After Zelda...?

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Samara posted:

New Game +

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd recommend Specter of Torment, it's my favorite of the three Shovel Knight campaigns so far. Other than that Snipperclips and Fast RMX are definitely worth picking up. This weekend Blaster Master Zero looks pretty sweet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've been playing Zelda for 3 days and haven't even nearly reached a dungeon yet, so yeah... I don't understand what you mean by "after Zelda".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Samara posted:

Play through again, but with Amiibos.

Also,

Bill Barber posted:

After Zelda...?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Play through again, but with Amiibos.

Hi guys, thanks for watching my BOTW any% noglitch amiibo run! Please subscribe.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Samara posted:

Haha I'm going to be playing zelda for the rest of time, dude

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Does anybody have the Brickseek links for checking Switch stock at Wal-Mart? Co-worker is still searching for one and I figure I can try to help.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody have the Brickseek links for checking Switch stock at Wal-Mart? Co-worker is still searching for one and I figure I can try to help.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I've been playing Zelda for 3 days and haven't even nearly reached a dungeon yet, so yeah... I don't understand what you mean by "after Zelda".

Yeah I have played nearly every free minute I've had in the past 3 days and I still feel woefully unprepared to even encounter a one of those "dungeons". The Guardians just gently caress my poo poo up almost instantly, I feel like I need a lot more weapons/defense/experience/food/elixers/etc. Basically I'm a pussy and hate fighting anything remotely dangerous until I'm prepared.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't understand why 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in title. It must've been conceived as one, right? What happened? Strange.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

After Zelda will probably be far enough out that I'll have Mario by then.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I cannot believe there are people who genuinely think that the Switch is going to use your cell phone's data plan for online play in the future.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I have played nearly every free minute I've had in the past 3 days and I still feel woefully unprepared to even encounter a one of those "dungeons". The Guardians just gently caress my poo poo up almost instantly, I feel like I need a lot more weapons/defense/experience/food/elixers/etc. Basically I'm a pussy and hate fighting anything remotely dangerous until I'm prepared.
I haven't found a Guardian since the first ones by one of the Plateau shrines, but yeah I'm basically going to be running away from them. I was hoping that bombs would hurt them (since you got bombs in that Shrine) but no such luck. If I do see one I'm going to run.

I also found a rock monster in the mountains just behind the tower in the region where Kakariko is. He one-shotted me so I just ran around him when it reloaded. Thankfully you have to pass quite close to them for them to come alive. When it happened though it was a major "WTF" moment.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

anatomi posted:

I don't understand why 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in title. It must've been conceived as one, right? What happened? Strange.

My guess is, console costs were too high for them to pack it in and still make money/break even. With the lack of games right now for the Switch, Nintendo can't really afford to be losing money on each console. Especially after the Wii U's pitiful sales numbers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

nice, a screengrab of a google search.

FWIW I did Google it but was getting junk sites popping up that linked to incorrect poo poo, thank you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phantasium posted:

After Zelda will probably be far enough out that I'll have Mario by then.
Just lol if you didn't play through the entire game this weekend like a professional streamer.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo needs to release Animal Crossing on the Switch so I can let my life wither both on the go and at home while I do errands for little animal people and catch bugs

I'd bet money that Animal Crossing Switch will be one of their big reveals at E3. The Switch is the perfect Animal Crossing machine and people have been clamoring for a new one ever since New Leaf. Nintendo has also been silent on the mobile app which will almost surely integrate with the game I'd bet. They also have many of the AC assets already done in HD.

Give me a new Animal Crossing, damnit.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Mahoning posted:

My guess is, console costs were too high for them to pack it in and still make money/break even. With the lack of games right now for the Switch, Nintendo can't really afford to be losing money on each console. Especially after the Wii U's pitiful sales numbers.

Nintendo is at 1.3-1.5 on the hardware. They never lose money on hardware, and always make a profit on it. And especially with this console.

They didn't pack it in because it's a business and they thought it would sell and they could make more money.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Samara posted:

Test various kinds of dust polish for the next year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Utnayan posted:

Nintendo is at 1.3-1.5 on the hardware. They never lose money on hardware, and always make a profit on it. And especially with this console.

They didn't pack it in because it's a business and they thought it would sell and they could make more money.

I don't know why this particular myth is so persistent. The Switch is sold at profit according to Nintendo's president, but WiiU was sold at a loss, a substantial enough one that they had to sell more than one game to be in the black(Reggie initially said one game in an interview but later put out a statement saying he misspoke and it was more than that), the 3DS was sold for a loss once they cut its price. The Gamecube also was sold at a loss when they cut its price to $99.

There's two myths about console losses that are completely wrong.
1) All consoles from every console are initially sold at a loss. Not true.
2) No Nintendo consoles are ever sold at a loss. Also not true.

It's a case by case basis.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't found a Guardian since the first ones by one of the Plateau shrines, but yeah I'm basically going to be running away from them. I was hoping that bombs would hurt them (since you got bombs in that Shrine) but no such luck. If I do see one I'm going to run.

I also found a rock monster in the mountains just behind the tower in the region where Kakariko is. He one-shotted me so I just ran around him when it reloaded. Thankfully you have to pass quite close to them for them to come alive. When it happened though it was a major "WTF" moment.

I'm starting to get the feeling that they're not really meant to be killed or even engaged, at least early on. Kind of like those giant robots that moo in Metal Gear Solid 4; they're just peppered along your path to remind you to be aware of your surroundings. If I see tentacles popping out of their bodies, or if their head's rotation track is parallel to the ground, I either scan the surroundings for cover or just steer clear. As for the live ones scurrying around, welp guess I'm not going in that direction.

FWIW, I was able to kill one relatively easily with 5-6 Fire arrow eyeball shots and a ~35 damage bow, but it wasn't worth the ammo; they just drop 2-3 springs and gears.

• Locked thread