Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (March, 1916)

What's he doing here?

Haifisch posted:

Flash Gordon

I can't help but think building a city that relies on this sort of system to keep it stable was a bad idea in the first place.

F Minus

Mary Worth

I'm happy. Really, this is good. I am glad I gave up on the exciting and fun relationship with the younger man. I'm happy. Seeing him enjoying himself so soon with that other, younger woman makes me feel good and not regretful for my decision. Really happy. Happy.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

'There's reports of a giant robot destroying Albuquerque, and something called an "Accuse-er" fighting some sort of "Spidered-Man" on the outskirts of town.'

Apartment 3-G

She can't possibly understand politics, what with being a mere "college educated woman" and all.

Jungle Jim

So he just tied it to a stick and threw it in the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (March, 1916)

They'll Do It Every Time (May, 1940, click for big)

Huh? Can someone Red and Rover these ones?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darkest Auer posted:

Huh? Can someone Red and Rover these ones?

I don't know about the first comic, but look at the cankles on the attractive blonde in the second.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (February 21, 1944)

It's kind of depressing how much better old Nancy is than new Nancy. I know that happens to most long-runners, but still.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

It's kind of depressing how much better old Nancy is than new Nancy. I know that happens to most long-runners, but still.

I think Nancy is exceptional because the difference in quality is just so egregious. It's an entirely different (lovely) comic strip wearing Nancy's skin.

A thought just struck me that the decline of the Simpsons is the same thing that happens to comic strips that never die. Can't think of another prime time tv show like that off the top of my head.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ub posted:

I think Nancy is exceptional because the difference in quality is just so egregious. It's an entirely different (lovely) comic strip wearing Nancy's skin.

A thought just struck me that the decline of the Simpsons is the same thing that happens to comic strips that never die. Can't think of another prime time tv show like that off the top of my head.

Yeah, but it's really striking on strips like this. Nancy and Sluggo carrying around a collections can/plate/whatever is something that could just as easily be happening modern Nancy, but there it would be "oh, look at those sweet godly children worried about the less fortunate" instead of Sluggo's absurd degree of cynicism in using it to clear a path.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Star Trek

Ohhh, it's just a Space Goon filling out his action figure collection.

McCoy immediately zonks out.

He-Man

Holy hell, trying to rearrange images within an imgur album is a nightmare.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ub posted:

M*A*S*H started going downhill after the sixth or seventh season. You could probably compress the last five seasons into one really good one.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Mister Kingdom posted:

M*A*S*H started going downhill after the sixth or seventh season. You could probably compress the last five seasons into one really good one.

I think the decline of MASH's quality is a bit relative, though. There were a lot of really, really good episodes after that despite it not able to keep it up consistently. The finale was one of the most-watched TV broadcasts ever too, so people weren't losing interest.

Now if you want to talk about a TV series falling off a cliff, we can talk ad infinitum about Dexter.

Speaking of Dexter, have a Dexter comic strip I randomly found on the internet.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

No, MASH only got better because the characters (with the notable exception of Burns) matured and changed over time.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

McCoy immediately zonks out.

I'd forgotten that TMP turned Nurse Chapel into Doctor Chapel.

ub posted:

I don't think it's that hard to find shows that really should have ended several seasons before they actually did. Homicide and The X-Files leap to mind.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (March 8, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean whips its trademark cutting-edge pop culture comedy on us.

Crankshaft

Bloom County has better turnaround time on its references.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Selachian posted:

I don't think it's that hard to find shows that really should have ended several seasons before they actually did. Homicide and The X-Files leap to mind.

Oh for sure, eking out extra seasons out of a show that's outlived its premise is business as usual in American TV. I wasn't talking about shows like that. The Simpsons is in its 28th season and is a shadow of the show it was - which is why I was musing that it occupies a weird space similar to comic strips that never die.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No, MASH only got better because the characters (with the notable exception of Burns) matured and changed over time.

Especially since, in the early seasons, Trapper was mostly "Hawkeye #2" and Houlihan was mostly "Burns #2".

The Classic Dinette Set has the right of way.

Working Daze would have been me if my copy hadn't been delayed until Monday. :argh: Except for going on Facebook or Reddit. And I would have spelled "Reddit" correctly.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is the best it is at what it does...and what it does best isn't very nice.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set has the right of way.

Is...this true? In the US at least. I wait at the light. gently caress people who're gonna be impatient, I'm with Dale on this one.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is...this true? In the US at least. I wait at the light. gently caress people who're gonna be impatient, I'm with Dale on this one.

If you're making a left, yes. Pull out so you can turn as soon as traffic going the other way stops or somebody on the other side make a left.

There are places around here where you would have to wait for the light to cycle 3 or 4 times to get anywhere if people making lefts didn't wait in the intersection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TVs Ian posted:

If you're making a left, yes. Pull out so you can turn as soon as traffic going the other way stops or somebody on the other side make a left.

There are places around here where you would have to wait for the light to cycle 3 or 4 times to get anywhere if people making lefts didn't wait in the intersection.

I think we're going to need a diagram or something, because I can't figure this out at all. If traffic's moving left-right in that image then he can't pull into the intersection because he'd be blocking it. If traffic's moving up-down then pulling forward wouldn't do anything at all, he'd still be in front of the person he's in front of now. As far as I can see, all he can do is wait for the lights to stop traffic in both directions and allow left turns. :confused:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
The cars to the right and left are stopped, the don't walk sign is for pedestrians crossing the panel vertically. Larson should have drawn a car heading south in the empty lane to avoid reader confusion, also the lanes should be wider to indicate a space for the driver behind the fat rear end family to sneak a right. Also there shouldn't be any cars in the right lane of the east/west road. Annoying.

computer angel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 6, 2017

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

How is it possible to do so many strips where the punchline is "senile old man says a phrase/word incorrectly"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

I think we're going to need a diagram or something, because I can't figure this out at all. If traffic's moving left-right in that image then he can't pull into the intersection because he'd be blocking it. If traffic's moving up-down then pulling forward wouldn't do anything at all, he'd still be in front of the person he's in front of now. As far as I can see, all he can do is wait for the lights to stop traffic in both directions and allow left turns. :confused:
Intersections that tight are rare in most American suburbs. Usually the roads are wider & the stop bars are further back from the cross-traffic. Intersections big enough to be light-controlled tend to have turn lanes, too. You generally have room for at least one car to pull into the intersection without blocking traffic.

Pretend that green rectangle is a car, which would just pull through during the yellow phase. Doing that is insanely common everywhere I've lived, to the point where people just expect you to do it and get surprised/pissed if you don't.

You can get away with pulling into the intersection in some city streets, too. It depends on how it's laid out and whether you're a big enough rear end in a top hat to block the crosswalk.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 6, 2017

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

WindyMan posted:

Now if you want to talk about a TV series falling off a cliff, we can talk ad infinitum about Dexter.
Nah, I think the only thing that needs to brought up in regards to Dexter is this handy graph.

Anyway, Monday morning comic dump!

Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane The Copyright Expired Musings Of Bill S.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

The absurdity of this, the superior orange cat comic, pleases me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

Ah, Poltergeist. An unexpected, but pleasant, surprise to see in a newspaper strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been following Judge Parker for a while now, ever since Ces started writing it, and I have to say it: I still have no idea who any of these people are or why these revelations are significant.

Feel free to try and explain it but someone already did many pages ago and it went in one ear and out the other. I can appreciate that a fairly middling drama strip turned actually dramatic, but I'm still lost.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Obviously it's a prop. You're not supposed to think otherwise. You're seeing a magic trick. You know it's a magic trick. The mystery isn't whether or not it's a trick, it's how it was done. It doesn't help to know that the box is a prop, because of course it is. That's how magic tricks work. The question is, can you figure out how it works? Even knowing there's a hidden compartment doesn't necessarily tell you the answer.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been following Judge Parker for a while now, ever since Ces started writing it, and I have to say it: I still have no idea who any of these people are or why these revelations are significant.

Feel free to try and explain it but someone already did many pages ago and it went in one ear and out the other. I can appreciate that a fairly middling drama strip turned actually dramatic, but I'm still lost.
If you know who the characters are and how they're related and you've been following it since the writer changed and that's not enough then I'm not sure what could possibly help you understand, because you pretty much know everything anyone else does.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 6, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

SomeMathGuy posted:

I am 1000% on board with these getting posted regularly. And I'm also shocked to see uniforms from the first Star Trek movie in, well, anything other than the first Star Trek movie.

No real comments on quality or anything, but if you ever track down that '60s Trek strip I'd be interested in it as well.

catlord posted:

I think a while ago somebody did. If I remember right, it was a UK strip, and for the first several weeks they kept on calling Kirk 'Kirt.'

Thanks for reminding me - I posted what I could find of the 60s strip here a couple years ago (my source was a bit spotty, and unfortunately I could only scrape together a few more-or-less complete stories). If you're interested, I dumped the adventures of Captain Kirk Kurt on Imgur:

Story 1 (Joe 90: Top Secret), 2, 3, 4, 5, Annual (TV21), 24 (TV21), 37 (Valiant and TV21)

Thanks for posting the TMP strip, Julet Esqu!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Jan. 9, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Jan. 8-9, 1985)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Anniversary

Nice rays, but Jam seems to have forgotten he's not doing Mark Trail.

Anyway, today marks one solid year of Edge of Adventure! Yes, I've actually been posting this crap for one year. Let's recap the pulse-pounding action:

March-April 2016: Dream sequence. Sam flies around on Buzz Lightyear's jetpack, murders a flying lizard thing, and snogs a tracejob in a fur bathing suit.

May 2016: Sam wakes up, talks to his preggers wife, agrees to let her take the car.

June-July 2016: Sam walks to work and stops in at a fortune teller, who says cryptic stuff while Sam is alternately sullen and creepy.

August 2016: Sam leaves, gets to work, is nice to a sick kid, and then watches his wife die.

September-October 2016: Sam is sad, unshaven, and drunk. He visits the Discoverers Club and decides to travel the world, starting with a trip to Chad via China.

October-November 2016: Sam is introduced to Miao Yin, packs, and gets on the plane.

November 2016: The plane runs into a storm and has a bumpy ride with lots of sound effects. Sam is nervous. Amelia Earhart is namechecked repeatedly. Plane lands safely.

December 2016: The guy meeting Sam and Miao Yin in Vancouver gets gunned down in a drive-by. Sam gets drunk again.

January 2017: Sam delivers the Golden Dragon and gets on the ship to China.

February 2017: We are reminded things are bad in China in 1937. Another random NPC is poisoned.

Will Sam actually get to Chad this year? Will the rest of the cast of characters announced back in last March ever appear? Your guess is good as mine .... on the Edge of Adventure!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Anyway, today marks one solid year of Edge of Adventure! Yes, I've actually been posting this crap for one year. Let's recap the pulse-pounding action:
This whole loving comic is just one big cold open.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 5, 1952)

Nancy (February 22, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (October 22, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (November 20, 1923)

Lil' Abner (July 19, 1937)

Barney Google (November 21, 1922)

Alley Oop (February 20, 1934)

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Vyvanse? Model glue? Benylin?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Women and their inability to accept you had a life before them, amirite? And what's the deal with lazy millenials?

Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man, featuring one hell of a neckbeard

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mountaineer posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I have to be honest, I've never thought of the spider's point of view in this situation.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Oh great the doctor's office again. They were there for nearly two weeks last time.

Rex Morgan MD

Won't they be shocked when it turns out Sarah's old room is now Horrible Hank Harwood's Sex Dungeon.

Secret Agent X-9

OK the other day he was pointing at Arizona.

Well, new story anyways.

Apartment 3-G

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

She... doesn't actually work for the Bugle though right? She just walked in and has been pretending to be a new hire?

I feel like this case would fall apart pretty quickly in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Boyce just edits the final image over and over again, doesn't he?

• Locked thread