Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mormonpartyboat posted:

ah yes, the "guns are so easy to get, black people would rather shoot each other than get a job" meme

There are no jobs, in part because gun violence drives out businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Concerned Citizen posted:

oh no the black people shot all the jobs!!!!! for no reason!!!!!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
guns dont kill people, they kill employment rates!!!!!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mormonpartyboat posted:

oh no the black people shot all the jobs!!!!! for no reason!!!!!

Are you making an argument or just posting retarded poo poo

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The problem with the debates on gun control is that it has distracted from the debate that you probably don't need a gun. Guns are the new smoking, imo, and until we change the conversation on guns, we're not going to make any progress.

Also, gun control isn't about going after people's guns so I don't see how that's going to disproportionally be levied against people who aren't in power. It's about choking off the supply and changing people's minds about the idea that more guns will solve problems. It's going to be a multi-generational battle since the NRA has convinced a good bit of the nation that guns solve problems and its your god-given right to conceal carry guns into nursery schools and college campuses.

It's anecdotal but we now have people in the South using gun violence immunity laws to incite people into violence to make it ok to kill the person in "self defense".

At the very very least we need a Congress that will restore funding to the CDC to study gun related deaths.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

tadashi posted:

The problem with the debates on gun control is that it has distracted from the debate that you probably don't need a gun. Guns are the new smoking, imo, and until we change the conversation on guns, we're not going to make any progress.

the core discussion change that needs to happen is treating gun violence as a stochastic symptom of environmental effects, rather than looking solely at what grabs the most headlines or what's spookiest to the average idiot american

gun crime is caused by ~things~ and instead of addressing the actual act of someone shooting someone else, the causal elements that lead to that situation need to be attacked

that's why ending the war on drugs (and blanket record clearing for non-violent drug offenses etc) is such a huge deal; the economic impact of having that on your record coupled with racist police enforcement cause a massive choke on minority neighborhoods. the drug war looms over and prevents any attempts to reintroduce opportunity and economic mobility for the average person in the worst neighborhoods

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

The crux of the problem is Bad Dems try to play by the rules in accomplishing progress when, surprise, the rules were put in place to keep progress from happening, and Bad Dems keep not understanding (or intentionally ignoring) that they're the only ones trying to follow these rules. It reminds me of games I played with my big sister where the rules constantly changed to benefit her and I was too dumb to get it.

I fell for this most recently with the Sessions thing

It turns out that in 21st century GOP politics, it doesn't matter if someone is caught lying under oath if the people who would be responsible for prosecuting him don't want to do it because it would make their friends look bad. Laws are now subordinate to Party Politics, and I was dumb for ever thinking that might not be the case.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the most effective gun policy imo would be to just ban all handguns from civilian use and let everyone have all the shotguns and rifles they want but good luck getting around Heller

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The drug war is real bad but it's just one factor that causes gun violence. The homicide rate prior to the war on drugs was significantly higher than it is today. It came as a response to violence, it did not spring up on its own. Gun availability itself is an environmental factor, and if guns are common in the right environment it can serve as an amplifying effect that brings communities to their knees. It's also a factor that contributes to racist over-policing as it justifies expenditures for militarized police operations. It's all interrelated and they need to be tackled at the same time.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the most effective gun policy imo would be to just ban all handguns from civilian use and let everyone have all the shotguns and rifles they want but good luck getting around Heller

Yeah, the reality is that Dems don't go nearly far enough. Handguns are ideal for crime and that's where the real threat is - not assault weapons.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

implementation and enforcement of this would end up with more dead people than letting people keep their guns

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't really like arguing about guns because when it comes down to it I actually agree with CC, I'm just worried it's an albatross.

That said, the handgun angle is an interesting one. I'm not convinced it wouldn't just escalate gun crime by forcing gun criminals to use more dangerous guns, but it's hard to hide a rifle in your pants waistband, Gun Hobbyists would probably be happy if you let them keep their expensive toys and coyote-killing tools, and Home Defense Fetishists would probably be satisfied with shotguns. Unfortunately I dunno if there's any data to be found about how much something like this would actually accomplish.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

The crux of the problem is Bad Dems try to play by the rules in accomplishing progress when, surprise, the rules were put in place to keep progress from happening, and Bad Dems keep not understanding (or intentionally ignoring) that they're the only ones trying to follow these rules. It reminds me of games I played with my big sister where the rules constantly changed to benefit her and I was too dumb to get it.

It's the bolded one.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Chris rock was right

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I don't really like arguing about guns because when it comes down to it I actually agree with CC, I'm just worried it's an albatross.

That said, the handgun angle is an interesting one. I'm not convinced it wouldn't just escalate gun crime by forcing gun criminals to use more dangerous guns, but it's hard to hide a rifle in your pants waistband, Gun Hobbyists would probably be happy if you let them keep their expensive toys and coyote-killing tools, and Home Defense Fetishists would probably be satisfied with shotguns. Unfortunately I dunno if there's any data to be found about how much something like this would actually accomplish.

You can tell Dems treat gun-control as a pointless wedge issue as opposed to an attempt to actually do anything by them consistently targeting the guns least used in crime and also never mentioning police violence.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You can tell Dems treat gun-control as a pointless wedge issue as opposed to an attempt to actually do anything by them consistently targeting the guns least used in crime and also never mentioning police violence.

assault weapons are v spooky

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zyla posted:

democrats sghould get good hit the gym and find new leaders

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
well they pokemon go to the polls so u think theyd be capable enough of finding some gym leaders to beat and take their place

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/DaniellaMicaela/status/838782235444711424

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

How are you still not getting that using the Russia story as a long-term strategy is a terrible, terrible idea?

Yes, I agree--if it gets bad enough, it might be enough to flip some seats during the midterms, but please explain to me how this issue will help in local and state races. Is it going to help the Democratic candidates for governor in VA and NJ win later this year, for example?

More importantly, any seats we gain--is it enough to help Democrats KEEP them? If your answer to "How are you going to make it easier for me to put food on the table and keep the lights on?" is "Donald Trump is Russia's bitch", I guarantee you any gains you make will be short-lived.

You're arguing with a strawman. Nobody's suggesting Democrats should talk about nothing but Russia forever. It's still obviously the right thing to be talking about now.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

loquacius posted:

I fell for this most recently with the Sessions thing

It turns out that in 21st century GOP politics, it doesn't matter if someone is caught lying under oath if the people who would be responsible for prosecuting him don't want to do it because it would make their friends look bad. Laws are now subordinate to Party Politics, and I was dumb for ever thinking that might not be the case.

I'm also reminded of the James clapper thing where he lied under oath about surveillance of us citizes.

If you are powerful in this country you don't really face consequences. About the worst that happens is you become toxic publically and have to resign to a lucrative lobbying career.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Nobody's suggesting Democrats should talk about nothing but Russia forever.

But they will do this.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

the same SXSW that's gonna report to ICE to seize any illegal performers and attendees?

huh, how about that

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

the same SXSW that's gonna report to ICE to seize any illegal performers and attendees?

huh, how about that

excuse me missy but democrats without respect for the rule of law are j- *vomits blood*

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lastgirl posted:

well they pokemon go to the polls so u think theyd be capable enough of finding some gym leaders to beat and take their place

The only challenging Gym leaders have been Sabrina (bc Psychic was broken in RBGY), Whitney (Miltank fuq ur poo poo) and Elesa (fuckin Volt-Switch Electric/Flying :argh:)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

You're arguing with a strawman. Nobody's suggesting Democrats should talk about nothing but Russia forever. It's still obviously the right thing to be talking about now.

It's something that should be discussed because it's a genuine national security/foreign policy issue: the Administration would appear to be compromised by a foreign power on multiple levels.

That said, the Dems must not rely on this as part of their electoral strategy, because it is unlikely to move the needle substantially in their direction. The assumption among a lot of centrist Dems that 2020 is theirs for the taking, regardless of who they nominate, is really, really stupid. They need to make much, much larger-scale changes.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You know what's better than a gun? A dog. Protection and comfort, unless you're some creepy gun fetishist!!

:siren: vote now! ends this wednesday! :siren:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812290

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

You know what's better than a gun? A dog. Protection and comfort, unless you're some creepy gun fetishist!!

untitled baloogan dog doesn't like the sound of gunfire :(

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

logikv9 posted:

no double down dog

shameful

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

no double down dog

shameful

Cowardiiiiiice...are you serious?!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

just posting retarded poo poo

Good thread summary

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol there have never been jobs, not for the people in the neighborhoods most affected by gun violence today, at least not in my deep south city, and that's by design.

I suppose it's anecdotal, but here you'll still have pockets of impoverished neighborhoods with high gun violence right in the middle of the white hipster bar and restaurant district. These black neighborhoods have been hosed from the start, from before inner city gun violence was even a thing, it's systemic racism and the resulting economic realities that allows an extremely well off white area full of mansions to literally encapsulate a black neighborhood where people see carrying a gun as necessary just to exist.

Dems will stage a sit-in for some half-baked gun control idea but not for raising the minimum wage or ending drug policy that disproportionately affects minorities and that's some fuckin retarded priorities and has to change.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lol :ironicat:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

man your trolling used to be decent what happened dude

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Boner Zone posted:

Dems will stage a sit-in for some half-baked gun control idea but not for raising the minimum wage or ending drug policy that disproportionately affects minorities and that's some fuckin retarded priorities and has to change.

That's probably the most insightful point in this discussion. Support gun control or not for whatever reasons, but it says something that Democrats will stand up for that issue but not other important issues.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gun violence didn't drive out business, being on the wrong side of the red line did. Gun/gang violence is a symptom of a greater issue.

I'm all in favor of mental health checks, regular safety courses, and strict laws against not locking up a gun around children, but gun laws are a dead end that aren't actually likely to solve the problems they are related to. The voters who want gun control dont want it badly enough and the voters who hate gun control will vote based on it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

FuriousxGeorge posted:

That's probably the most insightful point in this discussion. Support gun control or not for whatever reasons, but it says something that Democrats will stand up for that issue but not other important issues.

Hence why I maintain gun control as the democrats use it, is a distraction.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

don't sign your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I support gun freedoms and the second amendment for lots of reasons.

It does not mean I am opposed to working happily alongside gun control or ban advocates on stuff we agree about (and as we've went over twice in this thread, a lot of the "sensible gun control" folk do actually want gun bans and it's pretty obvious even if they're too scared to openly advocate for it) so long as our values align. And they usually do, even if our conclusions differ! Or supposedly, anyway.

The idea that we have to be allies on every issue in order to be allies at all is pretty ludicrous, but then the gun control folk... I don't know. A lot of them don't seem keen on working together. Single issue activists, I guess.

• Locked thread