Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

ShaneB posted:

His PT debut was 2008 so he has 2 years (or maybe 3 depending on how that works) to be eligible.

Josh is actually eligible this year, and he was pretty close to a lock before this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't even say that the issue is so much that Wizards is pushing story cards specifically, it's that they're creating intentionally pushed cards in the first place. MaRo admitted on his Tumblr that development mostly is made up of people who like unique interactions rather than power (specifically he said "Johnnys") and their strong suits do not involve being able to tell what the raw power level of something is in relation to other cards in the format. As a result we get Vehicles, Emrakul, or as an older example the Titan cycle when stuff gets intentionally pushed to see competitive play. On the flip side stuff like the Theros gods saw almost no play except for Thassa because she slotted right into the already great Mono-U Devotion decks and was a 5/5 indestructible creature for 3 (with a good trigger) most of the time.

People played keranos in uwr control as a win condition :v:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

sponszi posted:

Josh is actually eligible this year, and he was pretty close to a lock before this

I thought it was 10 years after your first PT, and his wikipedia says his first was Hollywood in 2008...? What do I know tho I just read things and then am probably wrong :(

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Hey, let's not forget Xenagos. He's vital to the modern meta in the ever present Tooth and Nail.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThePeavstenator posted:

I wouldn't even say that the issue is so much that Wizards is pushing story cards specifically, it's that they're creating intentionally pushed cards in the first place. MaRo admitted on his Tumblr that development mostly is made up of people who like unique interactions rather than power (specifically he said "Johnnys") and their strong suits do not involve being able to tell what the raw power level of something is in relation to other cards in the format. As a result we get Vehicles, Emrakul, or as an older example the Titan cycle when stuff gets intentionally pushed to see competitive play. On the flip side stuff like the Theros gods saw almost no play except for Thassa because she slotted right into the already great Mono-U Devotion decks and was a 5/5 indestructible creature for 3 (with a good trigger) most of the time.

Don't forget Thassa also made your dudes unblockable.

Erebos saw lots of play in the Mono-Black Devotion decks and in esper controls decks as a sideboard card to draw cards and stop your opponent's Grey Merchants and Sphinx's Revelations from gaining them life.

Nylea saw some fringe play in the Nykthos Green decks. So did Xenagos.

Pharika was in the GB constellation decks when they were briefly a thing.

Purphoros was played in Red devotion.

Keranos saw Modern play in Jeskai control decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

Don't forget Thassa also made your dudes unblockable.

Erebos saw lots of play in the Mono-Black Devotion decks and in esper controls decks as a sideboard card to draw cards and stop your opponent's Grey Merchants and Sphinx's Revelations from gaining them life.

Nylea saw some fringe play in the Nykthos Green decks. So did Xenagos.

Pharika was in the GB constellation decks when they were briefly a thing.

Purphoros was played in Red devotion.

Erebos was like a 2 of sideboard card and Nylea wasn't even in the board like half the time

what are we even talking about

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

Keranos was in some standard Jeskai sideboards as well. He did work!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ManMythLegend posted:

Do you mind posting your list?

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Highland Lake
5 Island
6 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole
SB: 3 Dispel
SB: 2 Fiery Temper
SB: 2 Nahiri's Wrath
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 2 Release the Gremlins
SB: 2 Wretched Gryff
SB: 1 Lightning Axe
SB: 1 Key to the City

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Highland Lake
5 Island
6 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

There's either a typo or a DQ somewhere in that list

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
4 Cathartic Reunion
4 Fevered Visions
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Highland Lake
5 Island
6 Mountain
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

This is a deck I would play in standard if I played standard. Looked into the cards i don't have, spirebluff is somehow still a 8$ land. Dumb.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

ShaneB posted:

I thought it was 10 years after your first PT, and his wikipedia says his first was Hollywood in 2008...? What do I know tho I just read things and then am probably wrong :(

I'm just going by this, says he's eligible along with Estratti and Pat Cox

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

There's either a typo or a DQ somewhere in that list

5 fiery tempers is kind of a lot

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Always knew Mcmagic was a madposter

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

I prefer this one.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Uh he doesn't still coach kids basketball, right? I'm assuming he got fired?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

oryx posted:

Uh he doesn't still coach kids basketball, right? I'm assuming he got fired?

Last I heard he was living in Humboldt County, Arcata I believe, one of the most populated areas of the Emerald Triangle which is one of the highest cannabis producing regions in the United States. Explains a lot

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
ffs stop giving him atttention.

e. unless you're a clinical psychiatrist

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Delirium is the mechanic named after TWoo isn't it?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I'd probably be a big Twoo fan if I paid attention to him before he got booted and if the booting wasn't for his discussion of Mein Kampf.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

Lol indeed. It should be 1 in the board and 1 shock. Don't play 5 Fiery Tempers.

Sickening posted:

This is a deck I would play in standard if I played standard. Looked into the cards i don't have, spirebluff is somehow still a 8$ land. Dumb.

It's not the most consistent thing if the world but it's very powerful when it lines up right. I like the deck and I'm playing it at GP NJ.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I really cannot wait for the new set to come out. I know the "lol, standard is boring" is kind of a tired saying but it really is. I only end up playing FNM if I have no other plans and just looking on SCG as the last 3-4 standard tourney/invi/etc result it's basically all GB, Mardu or Saheeli.

I'm not sure if Amonkhet will enough "do something" cards to upset the balance of the 3 decks but man dull as poo poo right now in standard land.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

I really cannot wait for the new set to come out. I know the "lol, standard is boring" is kind of a tired saying but it really is. I only end up playing FNM if I have no other plans and just looking on SCG as the last 3-4 standard tourney/invi/etc result it's basically all GB, Mardu or Saheeli.

I'm not sure if Amonkhet will enough "do something" cards to upset the balance of the 3 decks but man dull as poo poo right now in standard land.

The 4 color Saheeli deck is a dull borefest to watch.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

From what I can see, there is currently a big rise in the numbers of Temur Dynavolt decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

The 4 color Saheeli deck is a dull borefest to watch.

It makes me increasingly think that Saheeli not the Guardian should eat the ban (if they want to kill the combo). Idk if it'd be in a top tier deck, but Felidar Guardian has shown to be a legitimate card when built around. No one would play Saheeli w/o the combo.

The only argument for keeping Saheeli over Guardian is that she's a mythic and PW, or as Maro would say "exciting".

Alternatively, they could leave them legal but ban having the two in the same deck.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Alternatively, they could leave them legal but ban having the two in the same deck.

This will never happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

This will never happen.

I know, but it wouldn't be unreasonable. Stoneforge was legal after the ban when played in that precon deck, iirc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rinkles posted:

It makes me increasingly think that Saheeli not the Guardian should eat the ban (if they want to kill the combo). Idk if it'd be in a top tier deck, but Felidar Guardian has shown to be a legitimate card when built around. No one would play Saheeli w/o the combo.

The only argument for keeping Saheeli over Guardian is that she's a mythic and PW, or as Maro would say "exciting".

Also it's clearly Guardian with the mistake on it, it should only bounce a limited subset of permanents, probably just creatures and artifacts, but really just excluding walkers would have been enough. It's definitely the one that should go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also it's clearly Guardian with the mistake on it, it should only bounce a limited subset of permanents, probably just creatures and artifacts, but really just excluding walkers would have been enough. It's definitely the one that should go.

I don't think it's too powerful. The deck is just a bore. IDK what the solution to that is...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Amonkhet will probably not solve any of standard's problems

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's not busted w/o the combo.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it's too powerful. The deck is just a bore. IDK what the solution to that is...

Reprint Hero's Downfall would be nice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Amonkhet will probably not solve any of standard's problems

The good news is that it might be the last set that was set in stone before they decided to pull up.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It didn't do well at the pro tour but it's nice to be vindicated...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Depends what you're marvelling my friend

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Saheeli can also copy random dudes and felidar guardian is a 4 mana 1/4, I don't think anyone would play it without copycat

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Saheeli can also copy random dudes and felidar guardian is a 4 mana 1/4, I don't think anyone would play it without copycat

The oaths make a compelling case. It's not an embarrassing card in the right deck.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'd probably be a big Twoo fan if I paid attention to him before he got booted and if the booting wasn't for his discussion of Mein Kampf.

His decks were cool, but he started trying to leverage his viewers into advertising for some basketball drills. Also got incredibly salty whenever anyone played Living End against him, even in a tournament. He would literally refuse to play the match, instead just letting it idle out. I also don't have any respect for the New Age hippie mind set that he had.

Conley Woods actually reminds me a lot of him. If you watch his stream it's 50% Magic 50% rewatching videos of him doing some very bad solo dancing and talking about life, mannnnn

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I am actually okay with 4-c Saheeli being a top tier deck in Standard. Mainly because it shows how silly Magic is, and how easy it is for R&D to miss things because they live in a bubble.

I also think they need to push more people into helping them play cards, as well, in their FFL.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

En Fuego posted:

I am actually okay with 4-c Saheeli being a top tier deck in Standard. Mainly because it shows how silly Magic is, and how easy it is for R&D to miss things because they live in a bubble.

I also think they need to push more people into helping them play cards, as well, in their FFL.

I think they should do more beta testing on stuff like MODO for everything

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

Reprint Hero's Downfall would be nice.

That doesn't make the deck less boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think they should do more beta testing on stuff like MODO for everything

that'd be great if only for the overpowered cards that will inevitably slip through because of an absurd MODO glitch

• Locked thread