Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: 1914 PART 2 BEGINS HERE: IT IS NOW TIME TO CHOOSE YOUR SIDE

It is October 1914 and the situation is grim. After the Miracle of the Marne, the Germans have parlayed a series of incremental victories and stalemates into a serious chance to advance on the Channel Ports and cut the British Expeditionary Force off for good from its critical resupply bases in northern France, and the attendant short supply lines across the Channel from Dover and nearby ports to Calais and nearby ports. As a precautionary measure, all British shipping is now departing from Portsmouth, Bristol, and Liverpool, to St Nazaire and Brest.

Continued BEF participation in the war is absolutely vital, and it will be extremely difficult, if not outright impossible, if they cannot hold the Channel Ports. We have already lost access to Antwerp, Zeebrugge, Ostende, Westende, Nieuport. We cannot afford to lose any more ports to the enemy. Effyaders is the keystone of the last possible defensive positions in front of the Channel Ports, along the canal. If you choose to play on the Entente side, it will be your job to defend Effyaders as best you can.

The battle is due to begin in one week's time, with a provisional soft deadline of 5pm GMT on Monday 13 March.

:siren: IT IS NOW TIME TO CHOOSE YOUR SIDE. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU WISH TO FIGHT ON THIS SIDE. IF YOU READ ANY FURTHER, YOU MUST EITHER FIGHT FOR THIS SIDE, OR SIT OUT THE ROUND AS AN OBSERVER, FOR YOU WILL KNOW INFORMATION ABOUT THE ENEMY THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO KNOW. :siren:

:siren: SERIOUSLY, poo poo OR GET OFF THE POT ALREADY :siren:

AND LIGHT A MATCH

-ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Sign me up once again good man pip pip tally ho and all that larks

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Signing up for the Entente once again. Position to be decided by rest of the team.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I'd like to return to command at division or corp level.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Can I get Dixieme promoted to divisional command so he has a better crack at surviving the war?

I feel like he's put enough of his money where his mouth is I'd feel incredibly bad for him at this point.

Alternately, because I'm an idiot who gets off on writing convoluted orders but is careful about things, would we want me doing something like Dixieme serving on the staff to proof the early orders and just try and poke holes in our plans and then me taking over for a reserve later on?

Basically, my preferences are a:

-Job helping out with the initial plan on a more operational level and possibly a reserve brigade later
-Division (not corps) command
-Job with a finicky but powerful mobile unit like last time

In that order.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I wanna be an American or a French, whichever is available.

I have no idea how the game works or how to do trench warfare so obviously I should get the role of Robert Nivelle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think it might be best to figure out together who the senior commanders are once we know what forces we have available, and then let them decide who to pick for the brigadier position. I think it would allow the best combination of allowing room for new players, while letting a command setup that lets commanders choose who they feel the most comfortable working with.

e:^^^ Welcome aboard.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Exactly. Lets figure out what we need before worrying about anything else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Or tanks. I want to drive a tank. Or play with the horsies.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's time to eat croissants and kick Boche. And I'm all out of croissants.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Sign me up for a brigadier's commission...putting on the old uniform from Grey's campaign. Vive la France!

Edit - or God Save the King, whichever ends up more apropos.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

I think it might be best to figure out together who the senior commanders are once we know what forces we have available, and then let them decide who to pick for the brigadier position. I think it would allow the best combination of allowing room for new players, while letting a command setup that lets commanders choose who they feel the most comfortable working with.

That makes sense to me. I think we've got a really solid core for the higher commands.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wanna be an American or a French, whichever is available.

I have no idea how the game works or how to do trench warfare so obviously I should get the role of Robert Nivelle.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Or tanks. I want to drive a tank. Or play with the horsies.

No tanks yet, but if you want to play with the horsies, I can tell you that they can be crazy fun, and I'll be happy to help you out because they are fragile and respond well to thorough, well written orders. Word of advice with them, especially early in the game, be bold but careful. Don't be afraid to use them, but work in concert with the infantry when possible, and be thorough when figuring out the things that you're not willing to tangle with and don't be afraid to back off until you've got support. You can be utterly crucial later in the game when the enemy is more likely to start pulling apart, and believe me that can be very fun.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's time to eat croissants and kick Boche. And I'm all out of croissants.

Wow rude. Don't mock us. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To go along with what xthetench said, the best charge in the game was a combined charge of both cavalry and infantry.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I would like a modest promotion to main line brigade if possible. Certainement my internationalist leanings make me unsuitable for higher command!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

To go along with what xthetench said, the best charge in the game was a combined charge of both cavalry and infantry.

And the infantry was crucial to the cavalry getting through. But for those guys taking on the MGs, Dixieme is Mon Pere the lesser.

Seriously, I'm lobbying for you to get at least a Croix for the fight your guys put up twice.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: TOP SECRET INFORMATION BEGINS HERE

So, you're here, you've committed to playing. What you need to do now is decide which level of command suits you best.

Corps Command

This is a Corps-level game, and so the High Chief Poobah is the Corps Commander. The Corps Commander has overall responsibility for the direction of the battle, devises the strategy for fighting it, gives orders for its implementation to the Divisional Commanders, and provides oversight to ensure that they are co-operating effectively. There is only one corps commander on the board at a time.

Division Command

At the intermediate level of command we find Divisional Commanders. Divisional Commanders are responsible for taking the strategic direction set for them by the Corps Commander, and turning it into sets of more specific actions which are then carried out by their Brigade Commanders. This is, counter-intuitively, probably a good role for someone who wants to play the game, but who either is worried that they don't fully understand the rules, or simply doesn't care to digest them properly (which is fair enough, I can barely stand the things and I wrote them). There will be at least two division commands available, and probably many more.

Brigade Command

And then, at the sharp end, there are a large number of Brigade Commanders (the last game required about 13 or so, this one may well need more, and it really is a case of "the more, the merrier"). Brigade Commanders have all the fun of pushing chits around the board and personally leading offensives, but this comes at the cost of having a lesser input into strategy, and you don't get to give orders to other players, you only take them.

For this round, I'm also adding a couple of special additional roles; they can be given to a player as their sole duty, or doubled with a player already in the game.

Artillery Command

Artillery in this round will function as autonomous brigades (more on what that means later) under the control of Division Commanders. Artillery Commanders will be responsible for moving and emplacing your artillery, and will also plan how you will use indirect fire. Yes, unlike the last round, your guns will be able to use indirect fire! There will be at least one Artillery Commander per division; and if you can't find anyone to fill the role, or don't want to make it a separate role, Division Commanders may act as their own Artillery Commander.

Engineer Command

Again, engineers in this round will function as autonomous brigades under the control of the Corps Commander. Engineer commanders will be responsible for digging trenches, laying out barbed wire, building and destroying bridges, and all manner of other fun things. There will be at least one Engineer Commander, or the Corps Commander may choose to act as their own Engineer Commander.

The non-playing advisor (Staff Officer)

Finally, you are more than welcome to restrict yourself to one thread, and offer your advice and suggestions without commanding any men, in which case you are a staff officer.

PS: I strongly advise that while hats may be thrown into the ring with abandon, nobody should get too attached to any particular role until tomorrow, Tuesday; let's give the Americans a chance to wake up and sign up as well.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 6, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Actually if there's super-heavy artillery (like 6" and above) I'd love to do that too.

EDIT: I'm also willing to play an English, but only if I'm given command of troops from Oop North, especially Mancunians. Or the Royal Naval Division.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 6, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: TOP SECRET INFORMATION BEGINS HERE

Well now, this sounds super fun. :allears:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will join up again!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hello I am Vincent Van Goatse. d20 my neg rear end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The extremely handsome and talented Acebuckeye13 has joined the Roll20

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm in for an infantry brigade command !

Michael L. in Roll20

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
I'm back. Ideally as a division commander, but I'm down for whatever.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright, I'm interested. I've done the overall planning thing before for Combat Mission, and that seemed to work out fairly well. I tend to be a very much all/nothing commander, preferring very cautious defense until throwing absolutely everything at a critical point of attack. I enjoy arranging things in pretty patterns and then being very angry when it all falls apart.

So I'll take any level of leadership role.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Reposting the roll20 link:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2004056/9ONgKg

Once you join, post your roll20 username in the thread, and then you'll be GMd

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Signups for 1914 Round 2: From La Dand to Effyaders, are now open. Here is the map.

Further explanation of the various terrain features is available in either thread, but new for this round. Most importantly, waterways, some with bridges! On the left, a canal; in the middle, a shallow, fordable river; on the right, a deep river. Changes of elevation are much less important than round St Croissant, but the hill spotting rules have been tweaked, and there is also a depression on the left of the map and a sunken road, the Chemin Creux. (There are a few unnamed features that you are welcome to submit names for in here.) Also, you will get to play with indirect artillery fire for the first time! All this and more, if you consider Northern France for your holidays this autumn!

For reference about the terrain symbols.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Brigade commander of possible - will be in on the roll20 after work

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Reporting for duty, sir! Roll20 name is the same as before: Sixkiller.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Division or brigade cest vous plais

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Officer losses have been too systemic, I will return as Brigade Commander!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

-cracks knuckles- Okay, lets have a look at this map

quote:

Bridges highlighted. West army has an advantage there, in that they can cross 50% more units across the first river. But!

East has better roads, one for each bridge. West has one road for all three bridges. So I'm expecting either a traffic jam in the west as they all try to take the road, or slower brigades moved into the fields in the north or hills on the south. Meanwhile, east side can occupy their first city with no problem.

Heres the crux of it. West has hills for their arty, and has cover for essentially the entire length of the river. Meanwhile, east has one packet of bushes and no elevation.

... and the natural point of aim, from cover across 3 adjacent bridges, leads right into a death trap.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
I would like to sign up to fite for britane, I believe I would make a fine brigadier!

roll20: mmg

Eddy-Baby fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 6, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Keep mobile reserves massed in the Foyet de Effyaders and the Bois de Blob, string a line of thinly-manned but heavily-mined and booby-trapped trenches along the central river. Let the Boche cross at the center and then hit them with a massed cavalry-artillery attack along the road between the river and Saucisson Vallee.

If they mass at the southern edge of the map launch a spoiling offensive in the north to throw them off balance and hopefully outflank them in the rear.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

-cracks knuckles- Okay, lets have a look at this map

Bridges highlighted. West army has an advantage there, in that they can cross 50% more units across the first river. But!

East has better roads, one for each bridge. West has one road for all three bridges. So I'm expecting either a traffic jam in the west as they all try to take the road, or slower brigades moved into the fields in the north or hills on the south. Meanwhile, east side can occupy their first city with no problem.

Heres the crux of it. West has hills for their arty, and has cover for essentially the entire length of the river. Meanwhile, east has one packet of bushes and no elevation.

... and the natural point of aim, from cover across 3 adjacent bridges, leads right into a death trap.

Are we assuming west v. east? If this is like the race to the sea, it could be northeast and southeast, with the army that cuts the other army off at some point being the winner, by denying access to the channel portz.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, chat tells me they are coming from the west east. So here are the initial questions.

How fast can they get their arty unlimbered on the hillside? Theyve got IDF this round, which means they can hit anywhere on the board. We'll need to be careful about getting spotted.

Additionally, how fast can their bikes/horses grab a bridge? Im assuming they'll want one of the bridges that connect to a road, at least at first.

edit: map was right, first line was wrong :v: I blame the coffee, by which I mean its absence.

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 6, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We're defending Effyaders. You can read it in the description posted by Trin. It's literally the first post on this page.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll take a bde or the Engineering position.

edit: in as kyoon griffey jr

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

One thing everyone needs to be mindful of: the indirect fire rule addition is *ahem* a YUGE change into how battles are fought.

In the last battle -- all artillery had an 18" max range when using direct fire over open sights.

Here are the indirect fire ranges:

• French 75mm field gun: 110"
  • French 15cm howitzer: 120"
  • German 7.7cm field gun: 110"
  • German 10.5cm howitzer: 95"
  • German 15cm howitzer: 102"
  • British 13 pdr field gun (horse artillery): 80"
  • British: 15 pdr field gun: 80"
  • British 18pdr field gun 110"
  • British 4.5" howitzer: 90"

This means that artillery in contact with spotters (or firing pre-planned barrages) can hit nearly anywhere on the map pretty much from Turn 1.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Initial plan: Shoot their bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

my dad posted:

We're defending Effyaders. You can read it in the description posted by Trin. It's literally the first post on this page.

The map looks like he wants us to conduct a fighting retreat, then. Stuck at work, though, will hop on Roll 20 this evening.

• Locked thread