Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I don't keep too many pens inked at once. I also don't fill them all the way unless I'm going to be using them regularly. My Eco and Maya are my everyday pens, and both have pretty good capacity which I make use of. The others are for more occasional use, and I like to switch their ink more frequently for variety. Currently what I have filled:

FPR Indus flex filled with R&K Alt-Goldgrun
FPR Indus stub filled with RO Fire & Ice
TWSBI Eco 1.1 filled with Diamine Magical Forest, but almost empty
ASA Maya F filled with Diamine Mozart, a beautiful blood-brown
Jinhao X450 (with a Goulet 1.5mm stub in the mail) filled with nothing, but reserved for RO Peppermint
Jinhao 599 filled with Delta Black, because everyone needs a boring pen sometimes

I'm not sure if I posted the link here, but there are two new colors of Maya available:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

Is there a goon pen pal or letter writing club thing? I would like to exchange written letters with some people. My friend and I send each other letters regularly but we also talk every day so we don't have a lot to write about except to show off inks to each other.

You know I always wanted to do one of this. I'm in Canada so postage would be somewhat more but it is still just letters.

What would I be what the hell would I write some random dude(sse)?

And yet I still want to! We should try to organize something. It shouldn't be complicated I guess. Ideally we can choose our pen pals based on a short bio so there are better chances we will have subjects in common.
Hey thats a idea. If we want to participate we post:

Me: 41 male french Canadian bilingual, born in Montreal now living the life in the country. Ex programmer now semi-retired and private caterer. Very intellectual (member of mensa, chess team, etc..). I have a wife and 2 kids 100% will not harass you if women.
Subjects: Fountain pens, watches, antics, rcs, maker movement, diy, Politics, mma, chess, poker, movies, books, humour, philosophy, a lot of things but nothing about pop culture.

My postal code is : J0L1M0 should give an idea of postage fees.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would totally do a pen pal thing if someone wants to or if a thread is made. I am in NJ (in the US).

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I don't really keep a set number of pens inked, it goes as low as three or so, and as high as 35. Today, I have 9 inked and in rotation, and a Kaweco Sport downstairs in the game room for scorekeeping.

I'd take part in a letter swap/pen-pal ring. I'm a 45-year-old programmer from Ohio who is into reading and gaming (tabletop and video) and other nerdish pursuits.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

I was thinking about a pen pal thread but was wondering where we could start it that would minimise the ridicule of our endeavor. This is, after all, the somethingawful forums. Or we do as goons do. Not care!

But If they can get contests and stuff rolling in the general steam thread I am sure we could manage it here. Don't think we'd be 100s doing it. More less than 10 ha ha.

Maybe do like I did post a little bio of some sort to help us decide who seems like a match? Then whoever writes to whoever no rules no nothing I mean we want to write to each others with fancy pens so lets just do it.

I recommend personal addresses in private message or email.

So I'm in why the hell not.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

How many pens do you all keep inked at a time! ? I was trying to keep mine all inked but then I started playing favorites and I only have like 10 inked up. And not even all different colors...playing favorites with the inks too. Also what inks are you using the most? I need more...

I have been using Emerald of Chivor, Yu-Yake and Poissier de Lune a lot. Also all three of the blue Diamene 150th Anniversary inks - the blue black is really good and if I need a "normal" ink I will use that. Noodler's Red Black has also been used more lately, not sure why I like it more all of the sudden.

I bought a Pilot pen wrap that has slots for 3 pens specifically to help me actually control the number of pens I have inked. I keep 4 inked, something with an extra fine nib and heart of darkness for whatever garbage copy paper I have to scratch on at work, and then three in the wrap with more expressive nibs and different colors for journaling or creative writing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I could go for a letter thing, it would be a nice excuse to use the cute stickers I have a subscription for.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'd be down too, been wanting an excuse to user my pens more add improve my handwriting

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm headed off for vacation for 10 days starting tomorrow, but I'd be interested when I get back!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's the best way to do it? I would be down for it but I'm in school and working full time so I don't have the time to organize it for everybody.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm also down for something like that.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Are the hero lamy knockoffs worth getting? Nib QC can't be much worse than regular lamys right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

teraflame posted:

Are the hero lamy knockoffs worth getting? Nib QC can't be much worse than regular lamys right?

I got a 8 pack off of ebay for the hell of it and honestly I'd be hard pressed to tell that much of a difference between the two I've inked up and a Pilot Metro.

edit: I got Jinhao 599's, not Heros

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Count me in for a letter-writing thing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If no one else feels like doing it, I am willing to make the thread. Just tell me where to put it because I can't figure out what subforum it should be in.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

rio posted:

If no one else feels like doing it, I am willing to make the thread. Just tell me where to put it because I can't figure out what subforum it should be in.

Yeah I was thinking about it like I said earlier but I did not want to take your idea away from you and I had the same problem of where to put this. But like I said if we're 10 I'm not sure we even need a thread..

By the way I hate Canada Post. I hate them so much.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

rio posted:

Academics. Thread title is Pen15 Club

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

signalnoise posted:

Academics. Thread title is Pen15 Club

Why not?

I'll let Rio have the honor unless he, in fact, does not want this responsibility. Either way I'm in!

edit: of course: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pen%2015%20club

well I won't start the thread. Missed a non serious answer again so won't put energy into this anymore. If someone starts it I'll participate.

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Finally got around to ordering Ox blood from wonderpens. Also took a sampler of noodler's red-black since it is a popular alternative to oxblood.

Also 4-5 samplers of green since I am still trying to find the perfect color for my grand fathers deep green Parker 51.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I don't really care who does it - just was offering if no one else wants to. My only suggestion if someone else does it is that we don't put big bios to choose from because that is pen pal content that we can find out in letters! Maybe age, occupation (major or favorite classes if a student or a homeless), brief interests, something like that? Maybe we should also choose based on pens (kidding)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cleaned out some pens the other day and also got to play with my new phone's camera

Recently got a Jaipur demo and extra nib from FPR and they've both been really nice to write with. I put the nib (1mm stub) in my unnamed Noodler's pen -- it's the one that's basically a Nib Creaper but came out before he put those out I think?? and I finally want to use it again, previously I'd put it away because it was kinda boring with just a boring nib but now it's unique in my collection! I probably need to actually heat set the feed though, it's working well for now but the fit was a bit different than the original nib it came with since I think it's like a half-size bigger? I got a flex nib with the Jaipur and it adds a nice level of variation to my regular writing, I'm not trying to get much flex out of it though.

I got an unexpected "promotion" at my job, i.e. my boss quit and now I have to do his job + my job and to keep up with everything I've started a for-real journal to record all of my daily interactions and to-do lists and stuff I need to follow up on. Finally a reason to use all the cool journals and notebooks I bought and never could commit to writing in!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm in for pen-pallin' around as well. I've written more letters since getting in fountain pens then I've ever written before.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
I'm down for pen palling about. I'm trying to burn through the Momiji in my Custom 74 so I can try out this Fuyu-Gaki

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Fuyu Gaki is good people.
I kind of wonder if the pen pal thing could be done the way the FP Secret Santa thread went. That turned out pretty good.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

Fuyu Gaki is good people.
I kind of wonder if the pen pal thing could be done the way the FP Secret Santa thread went. That turned out pretty good.

How did that go?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Everybody submitted their profile to Pixelante and she randomized them and gave everybody an anonymous partner.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Heath posted:

Everybody submitted their profile to Pixelante and she randomized them and gave everybody an anonymous partner.

Why not? Every idea works for me!

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

The secret santa was awesome. Also, I'm in for pen pals. Also, I ordered an Ahab. Also, my wife said she'd get me a Vac700R for my birthday bc Goulet should get their first stock around the right time :)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Heath posted:

Is this how it works? I have no idea how to get involved.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nobody has put anything in motion yet, we're just discussing ideas.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My Lamy Logo came today. This is a classy looking pen if you're a fan of the more utilitarian styles. It's also wonderfully slim and light in spite of its all-metal body. A good buy for the price.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I bought a Lamy ABC and a converter, I think this will be my grail pen for a while.

Its suprisingly pocketable and writes very well, cheap if it gets busted.

I just pocket carry nib up and no issues. The wood barrel is fantastic and strong enough for the rigours of my pockets

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
About a week ago I commissioned a custom pen wrap from Pentaloons.

She does amazing, high-quality work. I loved browsing her store to see all the fabric options. She's got an eye for goood fabric combinations!

I had all sorts of demands-- 10 slots, contrasting tie, monogram in the same color as the tie, and which way the herringbone fabric chevrons pointed. She always got back to me quickly, let me know what options were available, checked in to make sure she had what I wanted correct, and showed me multiple combinations that I might like. She was very professional to work with.

My wrap arrived while I was out of town, so I've had to wait to see it! Everything came out perfectly, just as I described to her.

Here are some photos showcasing her craftsmanship.

Dimensions: 22.5" long by 7" wide (13" wide with flap open). Pockets are approximately 2.75" wide.

Pens, left to right: no-name 1930's celluloid, Nemosine Singularity, Jinhao X750, Pilot Knight, Pilot Custom 74, Parker Vacumatic, Lamy Al-Star Black Purple, Lamy Al-Star Aluminum

Pentaloons is going on my list of preferred vendors. I'll be certain to take a look for storage options as my collection grows, or if I need a gift for a pen friend.

(I am not affiliated in any way withe Pentaloons. I paid for everything myself and am just a very happy customer!)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cool pen wrap effika. Etsy has so many awesome shops the trouble is finding them.

I posted a while back about integrated nib pens. I managed to snag a Pilot MuRex from yahoo auctions japan for a not-outrageous price because it was not cleaned or tested. It was filled with dried up black ink (Pilot Black from 1977?) when I got it, but it cleaned up easily. Manufacture date is Dec 1977.

This pen is quite slender. The stainless construction gives it a bit of weight without being overly heavy. It just feels solid. Here it is next to a preppy, Precise v5 rollerball, and Muji fountain pen:

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The knurling on the muji is the worst I've ever felt. Like its not deep enough, its irritating.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Here's what I'm thinking for a letter exchange:

1) Submit your address or PO box and preferred contact name (real, pen name, initials only or SA username) to a yet-to-be created gmail

2) Partners are assigned randomly. I don't know how well this would work with partners on different continents or countries -- I think people will be more incentivized to continue writing if it doesn't get obnoxiously expensive or time consuming. The idea is to be conversational.

Partners are expected to respond at least once to each other, so this means each person would have two contacts - one person you receive a letter from, to whom you will respond, and one person who you send a letter to, who should respond to you.

For example: John gets you as his partner. John sends you a letter. You read it and respond and hopefully initiate a conversation, even if it's just talking about what pen you're using. Meanwhile, your assigned partner is Bill, to whom you send your initial letter, who will then respond to you. Bill will have his own partner to respond to as well. The purpose of this is so that there's something of a flow and so that every person is definitely participating even if someone flakes out and signs up but doesn't respond.

Also, say what kind of mail you would be up for receiving. Probably don't draw dongs on the envelope without permission. Are you okay receiving short postcards, or does that seem like a waste of time and you want a full letter? Are you okay with a stranger having your home address? Et cetera.

It may also be fun to post scans or photos of envelopes and letters you get, so be sure to note whether you're comfortable with your partner posting them. I know some of us are stationery geeks and like to decorate letters with stickers and wax seals and so forth.

These are not finalized rules at all, just suggestions at this point, if anyone has anything to add.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
The way I did the FPSASS was by asking folks to send an email that contained their username in the subject, and address/name, and regional limitations in the message. Then I made a spreadsheet of names/locations and sorta randomised it, but wound up manually shuffling folks around to match regions.

Once I had a balanced list, I c&ped the message bodies to their assigned Santa. We had 19 players, and to the best of my knowledge, zero deadbeats. (Very few ladies, which I hope wasn't due to doxx fears, because goddamn it internet.) Miraculously, no one got two Santees or no Santa. I would highly suggest using a dedicated email account or excellent filters. I expect to run it again next year, hopefully with a more automated system and the possible addition of a bonus round, where you write back to Santa once the holiday nonsense has settled down.

I'll run a letter exchange for practice in a month or two if no one else steps up. (By all means, do step up!) I'm just a bit over-committed right now with being a lazy sjw snowflake. There are bottles of ink on my shelf that I haven't even tried yet. :ssh:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone having flow trouble with Robert Ostermann fire and ice ink? Got some in my metro and it writes horribly, constantly skipping after writing with it for like 5 minutes

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
My first Jinhao x750 came today. Looks like I didn't get lucky with an amazing one. I'm having some minor but annoying ink flow issues; sometimes it won't put ink down on a character that starts with a downstroke (i.e., if I write a "6" for example, there's a small chance the ink won't kick in until I get down to the circular part of the number).

I don't have a loupe, but under a less powerful magnifying glass, the nib looks decently aligned. I've tried multiple inks; that doesn't seem to be the problem. Swapped in another converter just in case; no effect. I've been experimenting with angles and sweet spots and stuff, but can't seem to knock out the issue completely.

Oh well; I'm not too worried. I have a Goulet #6 nib coming in a few days, and if the problem turns out to be an internal feed thing, I have a second (less sexy looking) x750 coming next week. Assuming it doesn't have the same problem, it seems like I should be able to cobble together one great pen.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah darn, this journal I dug out of my notebook hoard is nice enough for fountain pen use as long as I'm only writing on one side of the page but once I go 2sides there's too much ghosting and I wanted to put my to-do lists on the front and my activity on the back so each day just gets 1 sheet :(

It's tempting to go with an actual planner but I think that will be too structured for me, probably just going to get a nice cover that I can fill with lined notebooks.