Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
At least on my part that was down to not understanding that the 27 turns to nightfall wasn't a hard limit on the game at first. As a result I pushed for the morning assault that got chopped to bits piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

my dad posted:

Random question: How good would this ruleset be (with minor modifications) for a game set in the USA Civil War?

There are WWII and Modern versions of the rules, but I'm not sure they would work backwards.

There should be more wargames that force you to write your battle plan before the game and then make you stick to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Crazycryodude accurately guessing what we would do, and even though he was continually ignored you guys still won is proof that this scenario had some balance issues.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat
Crazycryodude was right about a couple of things, but that doesn't mean we would magically have answers to all the problems if we listened.

We were able to won because of your blunder of sending in troops piecemeal to the objective, and simultaneously keeping a large force stationary just outside the reach of the same objective. While you won all the meeting engagements in the game, you totally whiffed on actually capitalizing on your success, and were strangely indecisive til the last moments.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I don't think the balance of the map was unduly skewed. The French did well to overcome the outrageous German advantage in firepower, and our worst performances came down to misunderstandings and unfortunate orders. Our biggest missed opportunity was allowing 6th Division to settle in for 18 hours and accomplish nothing besides pasting 2 unfortunate infantry companies.

We were quite lucky that the German opening was ultra-hosed. 96e and 98e, our insane bayonet chargers, did almost nothing to St. Croissants defenders, but managed to rout a really confused German Brigade that was caught in between St. C and Baguette. If things hadn't worked out that way, we would have lost 2 brigades for no gain whatsoever. The biggest factor in their loss was how St. C was basically surrounded on all sides by German forces. We didn't have anything in the pre-battle orders that could call off those attacks.

54e had orders that really made me nervous. Their path took them into Bois de Baguette, but instead of deploying along the forest, their orders had them marching with half the brigade on each end of the forest, sideswiping Baguette. They were in a bad spot, but I think they only routed as quick as they did because they were split in two and exposed to boot.

The poor 119e, had orders to advance into a small forest, but ended up deploying all of its infantry companies completely outside of cover. In effect, they burst out of the woods directly into the sights of a zillion German MGs and infantry and were turned into dust.

These, and along with my dad's wild ride, were the worst exchanges made by our side. On the whole, I think the French units were quite capable. I think our strategy of distinguishing "support" and "assault" brigades was sound, but as things turned out, all of our "assault" brigades were obliterated in the first 6 hours and three of them (96, 98, 54) were routed for little gain. After that, we lost the ability to make concentrated assaults, until our cavalry and BEF reinforcements arrived.

None of this is meant to be shaming or anything, but just a counter to the argument that the French only had a chance because the Germans hosed up. For the later battles on Dejeuner especially, we were far too passive with out unengaged forces, and overly optimistic with our active forces. We took more of our own forces out of the fight, figuratively speaking, than the Germans managed to kill.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 6, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quote:

And to the 175th Reserve Brigade (AbortRetryFail)

Just want to state for the record the 175th were entirely under Tehan's command until he had to be relieved due to internet problems, the only order I ended up giving them was "Looks good, keep at it". Prior to that I was just the 98th Brigade Commander.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 6, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Who commanded the french unit initially moving onto La Oeuf? Looking back on it I don't think my jägers stood a chance, but considering that we eventually consolidated, I guess I held them up for a while :shobon:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Our artillery use was turbofucked. I'm pretty sure the heavy guns did not fire once. We should have moved more deliberately. Guess the initial rush with orders to 19D to ignore enemy units can sort of be put into this category.

I swallowed hard when I saw the ending map. As I understand Mon Pere literally saved us the (shameful) win with his suicide. Otherwise we would have been party wiped, doubly so if the French had concentrated on a flank rather than an all-around assault.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tias posted:

Who commanded the french unit initially moving onto La Oeuf? Looking back on it I don't think my jägers stood a chance, but considering that we eventually consolidated, I guess I held them up for a while :shobon:

The cav was me, the inf was Hunt, which was serving as a sort of reserve.

Also that's a good point about the French orders. Not a single brigade as far as I can tell had successfully written contingency plans for the strength of the German position around St. C and the way they'd deployed. Just because we'd considered it in our overall planning didn't mean we'd truly incorporated thought about what we'd need to do and not do in case purple. Even my obsessive orders which took me forever to write whiffed when presented with enemies from that direction.

I do think that Croissant was the German objective to lose though, it's not like the French orders were a collective fit of elan larping madness, they were a conscious choice in response to the knowledge that we would not get to croissant first. I will point out that our failure to consider the case of the DZs existed, but it was more that we considered that the plan would be fine without realizing early contact would pull the supporting elements apart.

Also, objectives that compelled attack and enemies with three times the expected MGs was a Rude surprise.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Signups for 1914 Round 2: From La Dand to Effyaders, are now open. Here is the map.

Further explanation of the various terrain features is available in either thread, but new for this round. Most importantly, waterways, some with bridges! On the left, a canal; in the middle, a shallow, fordable river; on the right, a deep river. Changes of elevation are much less important than round St Croissant, but the hill spotting rules have been tweaked, and there is also a depression on the left of the map and a sunken road, the Chemin Creux. (There are a few unnamed features that you are welcome to submit names for in here.) Also, you will get to play with indirect artillery fire for the first time! All this and more, if you consider Northern France for your holidays this autumn!

Players intending to sign up may read either thread, up to and including the clearly-marked introduction post for Round 2, at which point you must go no further. Choose your side and sign up by posting in their thread. The observer thread remains open to both sides, for the time being, and I encourage players who sign up in a thread to also post in here to let people know which side they're taking.

We are going to need a lot of commanders, and part 1 has shown how vital it is to have plenty of other players waiting in reserve. Don't be discouraged if there's already 10 or more signups for your preferred side! There may well be a chance for you to get into the game very quickly.

Warning: these links go directly to my intro posts for Round 2: you can go back from them, but not forward.

Entente thread
German thread

These links, on the other hand, go to the OP of both threads.

Entente OP
German OP

(For the observers, I am probably going to wargame at least one scenario for a poo poo-or-bust French attack on St Croissant, based on the finishing positions, during the week once the observer thread closes for good.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 6, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That little hamlet to the northwest of La Dand is clearly Cinqueprouts

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 6, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hey Frenchies, are we keeping the gang together?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm in, but I'm trying to decide what role, and what side. I'm leaning towards German because they won last time and my DC:B LP teammates are all there but I'm an incurable Anglophile and love the French language.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Trin Tragula posted:

On the subject of Cryo ... dude needs to take a corps command next time he plays.

Well, if you insist

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Naturellement!

Mon Pere will you be returning to lead us in gloire une autre fois?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

I'm absolutely for, regardless of the position I get.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

aphid_licker posted:

That little hamlet to the northwest of La Dand is clearly Cinqueprouts

No, that one is clearly called Courses Coloniales, and the other is Les Guignols.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Oui, monsieur!

The two bridges over the deep river are the Ponts de Brouillerie et Querelle

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

It is time to hammer the Boche once again.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Heck yeah for getting the band back together.

Crazycryodude posted:

Well, if you insist

Mon pere is dead, non? :v: Come be a corps commander!

It might actually be better to have you on staff to poke holes in the scenario and challenge assumptions whichever side you're on. Honestly given the state of French morale you might be better off staying German despite my blatant poaching attempts.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 6, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

some of my dreadful poetry didn't get posted in this thread from the entente thread, I'll make sure to rectify that mistake now:

l'Sabbat Noir posted:

Généraux réunis dans leurs masses
Tout comme les sorcières aux masses noires
Les esprits maléfiques qui tracent la destruction
Sorciers de la construction de la mort
Dans les champs, les corps brûlent
Comme la machine de guerre tourne
Mort et haine envers l'humanité
Envenimer leurs cerveaux
Oh seigneur oui!
Les politiciens se cachent
Ils ont seulement commencé la guerre
Pourquoi devraient-ils sortir pour se battre?
Ils laissent ce rôle aux pauvres
Ouais
Le temps parlera de leur pouvoir
Faire la guerre juste pour s'amuser
Traiter les gens comme des pions dans les échecs
Attendez que leur jour du jugement arrive
Ouais!
Maintenant dans l'obscurité, le monde s'arrête
Cendres où brûlent les corps
Plus de porcs de guerre ont le pouvoir
La main de Dieu a frappé l'heure
Journée de jugement, Dieu appelle
Sur les genoux, le cochon de guerre rampe
Mendier la miséricorde pour leurs péchés
Satan riant écarte ses ailes
Oh seigneur oui!

Gommier Rouge posted:

Maman et papa et Denny ont vu le défilé défilé à Puckapunyal
C'était une longue marche des cadets
Le sixième bataillon était le prochain à la tournée et c'était moi qui a dessiné la carte
Nous avons fait Canungra et Shoalwater avant de partir

Et Townsville aligné les sentiers comme nous avons marché vers le bas au quai
Cet écrêtage du papier nous montre jeune et fort et propre
Et il ya moi en moi chapeau slouch avec moi SLR et les verts
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

De Vung Tau équitation Chinooks à la poussière à Nui Dat
J'étais entré et sorti des hélicoptères depuis des mois
Et nous avons fait de nos tentes une maison, V.B. Et pinups sur les casiers
Et un coucher de soleil orange asiatique à travers le gommage

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Et la nuit est juste une jungle sombre et un aboiement M.16?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement dix-neuf

Une opération de quatre semaines, quand chaque étape peut signifier votre dernier sur deux jambes
C'était une guerre en vous-même
Mais vous ne laisseriez pas vos compagnons baisser
Alors vous avez fermé les yeux et pensé à autre chose

Et puis quelqu'un a crié "Contact", et le mec derrière moi a juré
Nous nous sommes accrochés là pendant des heures, puis un Dieu tout-puissant rugissement
Et Frankie a donné un coup de pied dans une mine le jour où l'humanité a lancé la lune
Dieu m'aide - il rentrait chez lui en juin

Et je peux encore voir Frankie, buvant des tinnies dans le Grand Hôtel
Sur une rec de trente-six heures. À Vung Tau
Et je peux encore entendre Frankie, couché en hurlant dans la jungle
Jusqu'à ce que la morphine vint et tua la sanglante rangée

Et les légendes d'Anzac ne mentionnaient pas la boue, le sang et les larmes
Et les histoires que mon père m'a racontées ne semblaient jamais assez réelles
J'ai attrapé quelques morceaux dans mon dos que je ne me sentais même pas
Dieu m'aide, j'avais seulement 19 ans

Et pouvez-vous me dire, docteur, pourquoi je n'arrive toujours pas à dormir?
Pourquoi la chaîne Seven chopper me fait-elle frissonner?
Et quelle est cette éruption qui va et vient, pouvez-vous me dire ce que cela signifie?
Dieu m'aide - j'avais seulement 19 ans

attributed to Indochinese colonial troops

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sounds fun I guess.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ich bin ein Berliner.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Let's go Germany

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Ich bin ein Berliner.

I feel personally betrayed, you were cool to hang out with. (Have fun, and good luck!)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I still don'tw get the rules and I don't want to gently caress up like I did in Grey's game, so, ugh, you can take the glory, guys.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

I still don'tw get the rules and I don't want to gently caress up like I did in Grey's game, so, ugh, you can take the glory, guys.

Join us as a staff officer, then. It's fun having more people in the roll20 chat, and really, the gently caress ups are part of the fun.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

JcDent posted:

Seconding that non-playing staff officers who want to restrict themselves to one thread and give advice and opinions without having to command their own brigade are more than welcome.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

xthetenth posted:

I feel personally betrayed, you were cool to hang out with. (Have fun, and good luck!)

Who knows, maybe I'll defect!

It'll be fun to chat again when the round ends.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Fine, joining the French staff! Is the roll20 link in the entente thread?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Fine, joining the French staff! Is the roll20 link in the entente thread?

Here's the link, for your benefit and that of the observers:

https://app.roll20.net/join/2004056/9ONgKg

Just post your roll20 username in the Entente thread so that I can GM you.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Seconding that non-playing staff officers who want to restrict themselves to one thread and give advice and opinions without having to command their own brigade are more than welcome.

Slim Jim was one of the most useful people on the French staff and he didn't command a brigade, there's a lot of roles for people like that.

Also you'd be surprised how many people messed up with the rules.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

steinrokkan posted:

Again, these imagined difficulties are the result of your narrow focus, rather than of inherent problems with the scenario. As you can see from the events that transpired later in the day, it was up to French to merely pick a better time for their assault to entirely eviscerate the defenses. Both sides suffered a lot from not having any god drat patience at all.

To clear the air for a moment. Speaking for myself (and I think for the whole French team), this was a very fun game to play. Trin did a HUGE number of things right. The scale of the map and the relative force size was excellent. The speed of updates was great. I’m amazed at how fast Trin was able to process so many complex moves with basically no errors.

Trin created a scenario that passed the single biggest test of this kind of game: it was fun. I enjoyed it greatly and look forwards to the next time around.

But like every other red-blooded goon, I enjoy having a fighting chance at outright winning. And looking back on things, I do feel that, given the roads, the deployment zones and the objectives – the French team’s path to victory was fundamentally narrower than the German team’s.

Could the French have won? Sure. But to do so, the French had to pitch a perfect game in the face of some very real difficulties. The Germans had a much easier go of things.

Firstly, the location of the objectives heavily favored a team deploying in the NE corner of the map. The roads gave the German team a direct route to Saint Croissant.

Would anyone like to seriously dispute that getting the Saint Croissant first was not extremely advantageous to the Germans? And would anybody with a ruler and a map like to contend that the French could have the gotten there first?

Given the terrain, the French were going to have to assault Saint Croissant, while the Germans would have the luxury of defending it. And that is the crux of why this battle favored the Germans.

Secondly, there’s an imbalance between offense and defense inherent in c.1914 warfare. This is historical and it is one thing the Spearhead rules simulate extremely well. Whoever gets to strategic ground first will probably keep it.

A) Machine guns and heavy artillery are king at this point – and they are tools well-suited for the defense. The Germans, as they did in history, had more of both. That let them chop up every French infantry attack against them.

B) Urban terrain, wire, and entrenchments give the defender a big advantage. By getting to Saint Croissant first, the Germans could get into cover and concealment in town. Every hour the French spent waiting for a "better time" and marshaling a large-scale attack meant the Germans had more time to dig in, neutralizing the power of the French's limited MGs and 75mms to support such an attack.

C) Organization and communication favor the defender, not the attacker. In Spearhead, attackers have to create detailed and highly coordinated plans built on guesswork and exacting timetables. Defenders get to sit there and shoot.

I don't mind being the underdog. I just like knowing I'm the underdog beforehand, something I hope future games will be a little more open about. Unless this round was some kind of Kobiyashi Maru scheme on Trin's part. :)

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 6, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Hey Trin, got any way to contact you if I don't have PMs?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Hey Trin, got any way to contact you if I don't have PMs?

makersley.com/war , send me an email via the contact page, mourn for the lost time that means I'm still struggling to get any kind of update schedule together

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Hello, I saw Trin's recruitment post over in Trad Games and would like to expose myself to the horrors of being French the Entente war effort.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

grassy gnoll posted:

Hello, I saw Trin's recruitment post over in Trad Games and would like to expose myself to the horrors of being French the Entente war effort.

Come on by the Roll 20!

Much plotting is happening.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

grassy gnoll posted:

Welcome aboard. :) Post in the Entente thread to confirm, and make a roll20 account if you don't have one and post the username in the thread while you're at it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Welcome. It would be much appreciated if you could take a nice full brigade and march it at some entrenched machine guns for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

my dad posted:

Join us as a staff officer, then. It's fun having more people in the roll20 chat, and really, the gently caress ups are part of the fun.

Trin Tragula posted:

Shucks, if you can join in without having to learn the ruleset first I might as well give it a pop. Is either side short?

• Locked thread