Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Luceid posted:

when the chips are down and the galaxy is in danger, i believe in the power of vivian to save us all

I'm told Vivian is pretty amazing partially because you can put so many drat SP regen or replenishment items on her with all her extra slots and just Haze some of your enemies into crippling depression. I was mostly taking paths on my first run that didn't have anything to do with Cross Ange (I was mostly following the units I liked nothing against the series) but I will definitely be trying to make use of that feature when I beat the game and go for a second run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm told Vivian is pretty amazing partially because you can put so many drat SP regen or replenishment items on her with all her extra slots and just Haze some of your enemies into crippling depression. I was mostly taking paths on my first run that didn't have anything to do with Cross Ange (I was mostly following the units I liked nothing against the series) but I will definitely be trying to make use of that feature when I beat the game and go for a second run.

Couldn't you do that with any main pilot with haze, though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
IIRC most Haze users cost 40sp. Vivian can do it at 35 a pop. Yurika has it for 30 but she's a subplot so no Concentrate /Sp Up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Supremezero posted:

Couldn't you do that with any main pilot with haze, though.

Can't say for sure because like I said, haven't used her, but she can get four parts slots with FUB and I have absolutely no idea how many other characters with Haze can say the same and take advantage of SP regen/restoration stuff in them all to ensure the Hazing never ends. I assume it's notable otherwise I wouldn't have seen a few people in other places bring it up.

Edit: Ah, and a slight discount on SP cost for it. Makes sense.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Got my physical copy on Thursday, somehow, even though I don't think I paid for the better Play-Asia shipping option. Definitely not complaining! Random thoughts after 20+ missions or so, most of which have already been echoed:

- Really enjoying how they did a lot of the crossover stuff; after the Z series I was a little worried about going back to the 'multiple dimensions' well, but the way this game's are set up is really interesting with enough curve balls to keep you guessing (Ryoma time jumping as well as dimension jumping and whatever's going on with him and Tetsuya, 'these terrible women', the interplay between Banjo, the Meganoids, the Martian Successors, and Maito's company, Kappai bitching out Akito in the graveyard scene and PoD being a lot more tolerable as a result of that).

- Definitely agree that it seems pretty easy so far, I'm just doing my 'one or two upgrades at a time to a mech's main stats, sometimes upgrading weapons, mostly upgrading the MC mech' pattern and there haven't really been any SR points that have made me sweat so far.

- The cast seems pretty drat huge at this point (I think I had 15 sortie slots for the current mission and around 40 units); I get that sub-orders sort of gives those extra units a use but it definitely feels like I'm giving some series short shrift (some on purpose, *cough* SEED *cough*).

- Ange is a poo poo wrecker. Most of the time she's untouchable and she's got a pretty cheap finisher at this point which Ignore Size makes useful all over, and even when she takes an unlucky hit she's got natural Potential level 8 (she's not quite Chirico levels with this but she's close, I barely needed Concentrate Focus Zero-In to get 100% hit/0% dodge against Rakan in the Unicorn debut stage). Also anything else about Cross Ange aside the opening makes for a kick-rear end SRW battle track.

- MightGaine is great and while part of me of course will always love GaoGaiGar it's nice to have a Brave show in the game that doesn't quite have such a huge gravitational pull with its plot.

- Chitose is cool, ridiculous outfit aside.

- Edit: I forgot the best part: Of course the Danaan can fly in space, why wouldn't it be able to?

I've maxed out the Tac Commands and now have the leisure to buy parts, so I've given all the battleships Hit and Run. They seem pretty balanced so far apart from the Yamato, although it looks like I'll be getting access to Bright here pretty soon so that's one slot auto-filled for the rest of the game (I'm constitutionally incapable of not fielding him :( ).

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 5, 2017

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The change from Daunt to Haze really recontextualizes that spell for me.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Ahahaha Bright is the greatest.

Bright: If there are others who want to break away other than Ensign Riddhe, come forward.

Mondo: Bright, what are you talking about?

Beecha: At this point do you really think anybody here would say that?

Bright: You're the ones most likely to say it, so if you're all okay then I guess we're good.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

HitTheTargets posted:

The change from Daunt to Haze really recontextualizes that spell for me.

I've always called it exhaust, maybe it was that way in the Atlus games? When you look at who has access to it you have people like Dorothy, Otto, CC, Excellen, etc and they're pretty much all just sapping your will to fight through anything other than traditional intimidation, though I guess some of them stick to their style so much that it eventually becomes so.

It's also nice to start a turn with Otto and Nuke giving Jerid a thorough hazing.

Thanks Judeau.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 5, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

I've always called it exhaust, maybe it was that way in the Atlus games?
IIRC, it was translated as Daunt in OG1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just hope they settle down sometime. Imagine how FF would be if the names of basic spells changed with every game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just hope they settle down sometime. Imagine how FF would be if the names of basic spells changed with every game.

I suspect that if we keep getting English ones they'll settle down eventually but that depends.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Bonta-kun stage delivers.

Allelujah: It is...a mouse?

Hallelujah: (How dumb can you be? Obviously it's a bear!)

Edit: The smaller series list is kind of a bummer, but in a way I feel like it lets them include plot and character beats from 'post-series' inclusions; a lot of the pre-Unicorn UC pilots interact a lot both with the Unicorn stuff and with the crossover material, most of 00's cast doesn't do a whole lot but Setsuna is pretty integrated and has his own stuff going on, etc. I don't know if there would have been as much of that if they'd had 4-5 other series, new or not, included.

CaptainRat fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 6, 2017

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I'm having fun with this, but you think there is going to be a sequel or future games in English?

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm having fun with this, but you think there is going to be a sequel or future games in English?

I'd imagine that they'll keep making English translations as long as people keep buying them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

Sales seem to be pretty good on import sites and such. Iunno how they are in the actual regions this was 'meant' for, but they still make money off of play-asia buying 10000 copies of it, so I doubt it matters to them so long as somebody's buying it.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So as far as DLC goes: How much of there is it? Is it all worth it and if I want it all how much Singapore dollarie-doos do I need to get cards for from Play Asia?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
There seems to be scant little information on secrets so far, like secret stages and so on.

So far it's been pretty easy to get the secret levels, like just having people kill the bosses from their series, but I just wonder if at some point I'll just miss a bunch because the wikis aren't updating faster than people can play through or whatever.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PurplieNurplie posted:

There seems to be scant little information on secrets so far, like secret stages and so on.

So far it's been pretty easy to get the secret levels, like just having people kill the bosses from their series, but I just wonder if at some point I'll just miss a bunch because the wikis aren't updating faster than people can play through or whatever.

so far we know how to get all but one of them

black might gaine stage: actually not a secret you can't miss it
bonta-kun stage: take the cross ange route after 14 and take out gauron with sousuke
eva-13 stage: make sure shinji kills zeruel
"kill a bunch of ships and get a shitload of money" stage: ????

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Which machines should I focus on besides the VangRay with upgrades?

Do the VangRay's upgrades carry over to its inevitable upgrade? I saw you got to choose, and one is clearly superior. Do I get to see or is there a better option? I have Chitose, if that matters.

Oh also what Skill Programs are a must?

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 6, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Senerio posted:

Which machines should I focus on besides the VangRay with upgrades?

Do the VangRay's upgrades carry over to its inevitable upgrade?

Oh also what Skill Programs are a must?

1)Whichever machines you think look cool. But Yamato, Villkiss, Mazinger and Eva01 if you want the game's big shitwreckers.

2) Yes upgrades carry over. And the upgrade choice doesn't really matter beyond Speed being a Real with a MAPW and Power being a Super.

3) Break Will Limit as always. And ignore size is good too because of so many big machines. But honestly you should be spending the Tac Points on. Factory parts.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blockhouse posted:

You absolutely can.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Supremezero posted:

You absolutely can.

oh, huh, I thought you couldn't

looking at the japanese wiki you have to have some kind of undetermined kill count shared between maito, tri-bomber, and guard diver

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

This isn't true, I missed it.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

bonta-kun stage: take the cross ange route after 14 and take out gauron with sousuke

The first part isn't true, I went to Japan instead of Arzenal and still got the Bonta-kun stage. I did kill Gauron with Sousuke because I'm not a monster.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blockhouse posted:

eva-13 stage: make sure shinji kills zeruel
"kill a bunch of ships and get a shitload of money" stage: ????

You also don't have to do the Cross Ange route at 14 to get the Bonta-kun stage so I guess that's one we possibly know how to get. I'm pretty sure Bonta is Sousuke takes out Gauron and that's it. Maybe a kill total between the Mithril people, though it is extremely lax if there is one.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
To sum it up, we basically just know gently caress all about the secrets at this point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I got mad because the skill point description flat-out lied to me this stage, and unlike some other SRW games it didn't pop up the objectives screen with 'no longer possible' in the section, so I finished the stage without noticing that I couldn't get it anymore.

And then I got less mad because, when I reloaded, I got it on a throwaway last-ditch attempt without Support Attack since I hadn't gotten people into position for it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Prism posted:

I got mad because the skill point description flat-out lied to me this stage, and unlike some other SRW games it didn't pop up the objectives screen with 'no longer possible' in the section, so I finished the stage without noticing that I couldn't get it anymore.

And then I got less mad because, when I reloaded, I got it on a throwaway last-ditch attempt without Support Attack since I hadn't gotten people into position for it.

A significant number of SR requirements are just flat out wrong in English but thankfully most of the time the correct version boils down to 'kill more stuff and faster than it says'.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

A significant number of SR requirements are just flat out wrong in English but thankfully most of the time the correct version boils down to 'kill more stuff and faster than it says'.

Except for the one time it's "Kill almost nothing in the first stage."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It sure is great how they take Vivian away in an intermission, give her back immediately after it's too late to give her any upgrades or equipment, and then make her essential.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Caphi posted:

It sure is great how they take Vivian away in an intermission, give her back immediately after it's too late to give her any upgrades or equipment, and then make her essential.

This is only a bad thing if you are a poo poo that doesn't give her the respect she deserves.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm 99% sure the Black Mightgaine secret is tied to having Maito solo Joe when he tells everybody else not to interfere. There's a separate cutscene that branches off from it and everything.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think it's that too. No support attack or defend, just purely Mightgaine vs Joe. Bomber can do any amount of damage before hand.
Bonta I think is Sousuke beats Gauron.

Both might be do that and get the SR point for the stage? I vaguely remember that being a requirement in previous games.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Do we have any idea what the criteria for the secret units are at this point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

Do we have any idea what the criteria for the secret units are at this point?

Only guesses. We won't get official confirmation until the full guide is out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How exactly does Audrey and Banagher making peace with Full Frontal play out? I took a different route split but I'm sort of surprised to see that it happened.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Even DS Can, which is often my go-to wiki, is still at the stage of "this one is probably based on average kills, or something? unconfirmed on second play" for most of its secrets.

Ryoga posted:

This is only a bad thing if you are a poo poo that doesn't give her the respect she deserves.

I wanted to but she has super weird range and no defenses!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Cross Ange girls really should have been Aestie'd, having like 7 different color-coded unexceptional rainbow mecha really doesn't work in a non-squad game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

The Cross Ange girls really should have been Aestie'd, having like 7 different color-coded unexceptional rainbow mecha really doesn't work in a non-squad game.

I just saw Saria, Elsha, and Vivian share a dialogue trigger, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

I was blown away to see them exist in my unit list, especially because they're introduced after the other 2 Angels get thrown into an attack animation. Same thing for Daegusa and Conroy. I think the 3 Angels Attack is the exception only because the Aestivalises seriously lacked moves.

These ace conversations are wild! I wish sharing was enabled so I could screenshot these proper instead of taking photos of the screen, but that didn't stop me from photographing Boss's and Rei's to use as meme material. Go's was hilarious but nobody outside of Getter fans would really get the joke.

• Locked thread