Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A thing that people with Bluetooth headsets may be interested in (though it's still really dumb that we even have to consider it).

When can I buy one?

I'm not even joking, that's great.

Argue posted:

So, any power bank I use with a cellphone should be able to work with the Switch, right? My power bank says "Capacity: 20400 mAh/ 3.7V / 75.48Wh", and it's got two output ports, one 5V 1A, and one 5V 2A. Anything I should know?

It will work, but even on the 5V 2A port it will charge slow. The Switch's bundled charger uses 5V 3A.

Also, beware which USB-C cables you use, because some of the lovely Chinese knockoff ones are wired wrong and will literally fry your devices with short circuits. When in doubt look up the blog of that one engineer from Google who tested a bunch of brands for Chromebook purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Can I use the cable that came with my pro controller to charge the console?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roadie posted:

A thing that people with Bluetooth headsets may be interested in (though it's still really dumb that we even have to consider it).

When can I buy one?

It's just a dollar-store mini-easel with a notch carved out DIY-style. And I agree, it's great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ChocNitty posted:

Since Fast RMX was only $20 I said F it, and got it. I liked that I could continue cooking in Zelda, and watch videos of other games in the nintendo store, and have the game download in the backround at a decent speed. Its multi tasking like a proper home console.

Quick impressions of the game. This is the first time i've had the HD haptic feedback really do something, and its crazy, the way it simulates the feel of tires on the road, and even kind of makes the sound of the tires.

The game looks really pretty, and the sense of speed when you boost is nuts. But I am horrible at the game, and online multiplayer would not connect, but I expect that to be a temporary thing. I'm gonna dock it and see it at 1080p and 60fps. This is some PC poo poo right here. But of course, its just a racing game, which is much less demanding and easier to push graphically.

BTW Snipperclips is one game you can download a demo of in the store if anyone wants to try it.

Huh. I read it has haptic feedback but when I was playing I didn't really notice it at all. Weird though that you would feel the tires on a hover car.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

brickseek doesn't actually seem particularly useful for checking stock, seeing as it just kinda shows what the first total shipment was, which definitely just sold out immediately between preorders and walk-ins

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My switch arrived friday on my lunch break, and I brought it back to work to tether to my phone and update and whatnot. Hilariously, The switch saw all the individual access points on our network, rather than the handful of SSIDs we have. so it was quite a long list of

NETWORKNAME
NETWORKNAME
NETWORKNAME
NETWORKNAME
NETWORKNAME
NETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME
OTHERNETWORKNAME

That's the first time I've seen something behave like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm about ten miles from my Switch right now and am still terrified I'm going to run into a Lynel.

deetee
Apr 22, 2008

This has probably been covered umpteen times, but in my brief search I found nothing. Is the pro controller worth having at this point, or does the joy-con do a serviceable job for Zelda?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

deetee posted:

This has probably been covered umpteen times, but in my brief search I found nothing. Is the pro controller worth having at this point, or does the joy-con do a serviceable job for Zelda?

I have monster man hands and the joycons do a fine job, though if you have the means, the pro controller is very nice.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

deetee posted:

I've just been playing with Joycons in the grip, and I haven't had any problems. I have average size hands and wear the Large plastic gloves IIRC from my foodservice days.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deetee posted:

In my opinion, yes and yes.

The joycon are fine, pro controller is great. Also has native PC support.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Roadie posted:

When can I buy one?

Are you asking when you can buy a miniature easel..?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

also not sure if it was covered, but i just did some math :

Dock : 60
Charger : 30
Joycon : 80
Grip : 20
HDMI Cable : 8

.. so it's $198 USD to replace everything in the box that's not the system.

Edit : wrist straps not counted because they're presumably included (at least on the picture of the box) with the $80 joycon.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXK5P86/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GcBVyb63EQQG3

A good stand

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Nerdrock posted:

Don't forget the wrist straps lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Pretty sure the dock is more than 60

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty sure the dock is more than 60

well, it was listed on https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat831380&navAction=pop&navCount=4 about an hour ago for $60, but it's not on there any more.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
there's a another version where the dock is $90 and comes with the charger, so it's a wash either way

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can buy a dock without an extra adapter for $60.

Nerdrock posted:

Edit : wrist straps not counted because they're presumably included (at least on the picture of the box) with the $80 joycon.

Lol Best Buy has this at their instore pickup counter as an argument for why you should buy their Protection Plan or whatever.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's 2017 why can't I just pay for a stupid console and they send me one when the stock comes in?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

It's 2017 why can't I just pay for a stupid console and they send me one when the stock comes in?

I still can't get a NES mini.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
This was an interesting (albeit wince-inducing) video on the durability of the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJP6gERPmMk

I really like that they made the button legends go all the way through instead of just printing them on top

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I finally found a Pro Controller. It came with a USB C to A cable if anyone didn't know.

The d-pad on the thing is kinda ehhhhh. I'll have to get used to it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ghostinmyshell posted:

I finally found a Pro Controller. It came with a USB C to A cable if anyone didn't know.

The d-pad on the thing is kinda ehhhhh. I'll have to get used to it.

Yeah I threw that cable in my carrying case since I already had one plugged into the switch for the charge grip. I can pretty much plug this into any wall USB outlet right?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Did anyone else order the Breath of the Wild special editions that went up on Walmart last week? Mine still says "processing" with an expected in store pickup of March 9 (which is what they originally promised). Just feels kind of weird that those orders randomly opened up last week.

Yeah this just got canceled, bummer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Utnayan posted:

I would like to know why too since Nintendo officially said you cannot do this in their support page.

Have a screen shot? If so, someone should make Nintendo aware so they change their support page so people don't blow this out of proportion.

(If you took screenshots of games it * can * store the images on an SD card. But it won't be storing your save game files.)

Here is a complete write up on it.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14790702/nintendo-switch-game-saves-backup-sd-card

screenshots:

the main dir:

the save folder:

the album folder, screenshots obviously.:

the contents folder is just full of poo poo like this:

this is what the switch is telling me:

i think that 216mb is the update data, there is nothing stored on the system memory by the looks of it. i checked yesterday and have saved more since then but both file sizes for the two files in the save data are the same. originally i thought one was my save and the first file was my brothers due the size diff. but now im wondering if that's actually the update data but then again that doesn't make sense since that would mean the top file is the sniperclips demo and the size that windows is claiming on my sd is too small for what the switch is telling me. then again, isnt 20,848 wrong for 216mb? i dont know how you work this poo poo out, someone do it for me. :|

i mean the quickest and easiest way to test this would be to just boot up zelda without my sd card in, but i'm paranoid it would default back to system memory and ignore my current progress and i just found a sweet sword.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So here's something coming to a bunch of platforms and one of them is the Switch: AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected. A first-person adventure game with 3D graphics, 2D characters, and some rogue-lite elements.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

parallelodad posted:

Yeah I threw that cable in my carrying case since I already had one plugged into the switch for the charge grip. I can pretty much plug this into any wall USB outlet right?

I'd also like to know this. I know gently caress all about electrical cords.

Edit: That Away game looks crazy fun.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean, let me put it this way. That's how it works for board games, and it's: not great. I preordered a copy of the second printing of Terraforming Mars back in November, like shortly after the first wave sold out all over the place. I'm still waiting for my copy of Terraforming Mars. Last time I checked in with the seller, they said the reprint was on schedule for last week sometime, so if I'm lucky I'll have my stupid $60 board game this month sometime.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well theoretically Nintendo being as big of a company wouldn't take a long time to get more hardware out. I just don't have the time to go hunting for a console. Scalping is a plague.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

anatomi posted:

I don't understand why 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in title. It must've been conceived as one, right? What happened? Strange.

Amazon Europe lists a pack in Nintendo 1-2 Switch at a 30€ premium for release at the end of March.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Switch keeps going in and out of stock with online retailers. As far as in person ones - shrug.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember hearing that the same company that handled the software/emulation for NES Classic is handling the VC Emulation on Switch - is that confirmed, or was that wishful thinking/rumor?

Does the NES Classic offer save states, or is it just whatever save mechanic was in the original game? I went back to play some old school Mega Man a few months ago, and realized that while I like going to revisit the classics, I'm at a point in my life where I don't have the patience for them without being able to cheese my way through the game using save states.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember hearing that the same company that handled the software/emulation for NES Classic is handling the VC Emulation on Switch - is that confirmed, or was that wishful thinking/rumor?

Does the NES Classic offer save states, or is it just whatever save mechanic was in the original game? I went back to play some old school Mega Man a few months ago, and realized that while I like going to revisit the classics, I'm at a point in my life where I don't have the patience for them without being able to cheese my way through the game using save states.

nes classic has save states, yeah.

the same company doing the vc on switch at the moment is just wishful thinking/rumour, nothing confirmed.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I went to two stores asked if they had Nintendo Switch, the first one told me they were sold out for the next two weeks. The second I'm pretty sure told me to never come back, ever.

Amazon is offering to sell it to me now, and ship it when it's in stock.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's just rumor. I think from Laura Kate Dale, whose info was completely solid up til the initial reveal but sketchy since then.

The NES classic has four or five save states per game with the option to put locks on them so you don't accidentally overwrite

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

anatomi posted:

I don't understand why 1-2 Switch isn't a pack-in title. It must've been conceived as one, right? What happened? Strange.

IMO it has to be because Wii Sports was a huge success and it wasn't a pack in in some countries (like Japan) that they probably got greedy and thought they can catch lightning in a bottle again. Even though they literally hosed this up when they launched the Wii U and Nintendoland wasn't a pack in either.

Policenaut posted:

So here's something coming to a bunch of platforms and one of them is the Switch: AWAY: Journey to the Unexpected. A first-person adventure game with 3D graphics, 2D characters, and some rogue-lite elements.

Whoah this looks kinda rad

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

parallelodad posted:

Probably as long as it's 5V, but as others have mentioned it won't charge as fast depending on the Output Amps.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Nintendo wouldn't do anything like allow selling games on their console like the App Store. Or is there a big huge thing about getting a game released on the Switch. Like as a dev if I wanted to play around with some prototypes on the Switch I can't just Wifi it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nolgthorn posted:

Nintendo wouldn't do anything like allow selling games on their console like the App Store. Or is there a big huge thing about getting a game released on the Switch. Like as a dev if I wanted to play around with some prototypes on the Switch I can't just Wifi it over.

I mean, Unity and UE4 should just have an export target for Switch, but you would need a special devkit model probably to get it running on the actual hardware. Nintendo has said that they plan to vet the eshop games a lot more thoroughly than they did in the past, to avoid drowning in a sea of shovelware that's always "on sale".

• Locked thread