Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I did 1 placement match at the weekend, the reason i didnt do anymore will soon become apparent,

First of all the only people on Mic were 2 10 year olds.

I went Zen as It was nepal,

Squeaky Kid 1: Hey let me be Zenyatta I wanna play him
Squeaky Kid 2 to Squeaky Kid 1: Hey Let me play Lucio i am better than anyone else
Squeaky Kid 1: Only if i can be Zen

On and on and on all match

We lost 0 - 3

after squeaky kids left another player came up and said something suitable to the play level they showed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pharah's ult is pretty awful but it seems to do work in pro-games a good amount of the time. It does kill you but you can sneak it and use it to either get a critical pick or multiple kills.

Bastion's ult actually seems like the worst in the hands of most players. It takes practice to aim and most players just haven't had that. My thought process is often 'great Bastion's ulting, this is a good opportunity to kill him'.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Pharah's ult is pretty awful but it seems to do work in pro-games a good amount of the time. It does kill you but you can sneak it and use it to either get a critical pick or multiple kills.

Bastion's ult actually seems like the worst in the hands of most players. It takes practice to aim and most players just haven't had that. My thought process is often 'great Bastion's ulting, this is a good opportunity to kill him'.

This is the truth, I've never seen a Bastion ult and think to myself "yeah, this was a good idea instead of staying in turret mode" especially now that the unintended consequence of A). taking away Bastion's tank mode's armor and replacing it with Ironclad and B). lowering how effective Ironclad is means that his ult mode's effective hitpoints actually got nerfed somewhat.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
As someone who's been playing a lot of Pharah lately, her ult is poo poo. And also really good. Let me explain.

Contrary to how it would seem you're meant to do it, you don't use it from high up. You use it from juuuust far enough away to not die from your own explosions. Either sneak up on enemies, or boost up to high ground their own and unleash it right in their face, or concussion blast your way over to them and get there faster than expected, or walk into a room that contains their healer and use it, or use it when you've exhausted all 6 shots and really, REALLY want a specific character dead. It's an assassination ult in disguise.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Bastion's ult is actually really good if you even half aim. A direct hit insta-kills most other heroes. That's nuts. Far more versatile than Pharah/McCree ult that's for sure. It's significantly scarier than his turret form. Plus it works well with nanoboost.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Justice raining from the ground is great at gold, because everyone looks up to find you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

I did 1 placement match at the weekend, the reason i didnt do anymore will soon become apparent,

First of all the only people on Mic were 2 10 year olds.

I went Zen as It was nepal,

Squeaky Kid 1: Hey let me be Zenyatta I wanna play him
Squeaky Kid 2 to Squeaky Kid 1: Hey Let me play Lucio i am better than anyone else
Squeaky Kid 1: Only if i can be Zen

On and on and on all match

We lost 0 - 3

after squeaky kids left another player came up and said something suitable to the play level they showed.

Kids fighting over playing support? Is this story made up or is overwatch comp just bizzaro land?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there are a lot of support mains in comp in my experience yeah

fairly often I have the situation where I wanna go ana or zen but someone else takes them first

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My favorite pharah ult was out of a graviton surge, just under that first eichenwald chokepoint. Didn't even see what i was aiming at but got a team kill as they all rushed up hoping to wipe us instead. Of course the potg went to a Mercy who ressed me moments before. :argh:

Speaking of which, do potgs get saved somewhere?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Kids fighting over playing support? Is this story made up or is overwatch comp just bizzaro land?

They also accused me of having a fake english accent (I was playing on US servers not EU)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Avalerion posted:

My favorite pharah ult was out of a graviton surge, just under that first eichenwald chokepoint. Didn't even see what i was aiming at but got a team kill as they all rushed up hoping to wipe us instead. Of course the potg went to a Mercy who ressed me moments before. :argh:

Speaking of which, do potgs get saved somewhere?

No, as soon as you quit the game they disappear. Also if you play too many games afterwards, they also disappear. Why would Blizzard design a system to save your greatest plays only to keep them for however long the client is open with no option to download or permanently save them?

Nobody can say. They move in mysterious ways.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

widow's ult didn't have an audible callout for the other team at launch iirc

or maybe it was just really quiet, I forget

It was really quiet. Since it didn't directly do damage or hurt anyone, the dynamic sound system classed it as a low-danger sound and didn't amplify it at all, so you weren't likely to hear it unless you were pretty close to her. And of course Widow tends to stay away from the action. They patched it later to make it a global sound, but even then it's still relatively quiet and doesn't stand out much.

Bottom Liner posted:

Did you read anything I said? Her's has versatility of being an insta kill before people can react if used correctly OR be comboed while the team is incapacitated or distracted. Sorry you suck with it but it's not trash tier.

It's not an insta-kill, though. It's got annoyingly low DPS for an ult, and combined with the fact that it freezes her in place, it gives enemies plenty of time to react and kill her. Sure, you can massacre people by sneakily getting them from a weird enough angle that they can't find you in two seconds, but that's nothing special - pre-buff Bastion could do that too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not an insta-kill, though. It's got annoyingly low DPS for an ult, and combined with the fact that it freezes her in place, it gives enemies plenty of time to react and kill her. Sure, you can massacre people by sneakily getting them from a weird enough angle that they can't find you in two seconds, but that's nothing special - pre-buff Bastion could do that too.

In what world is 1200dps low?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

dogstile posted:

It can feel agonizingly slow when using it definitely, especially if your not right smack on top of the enemy team and the rockets start dispersing every which way

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jeza posted:

And yet you can't even disable automatic saving of replays in hots (used to be an option but they took it out). Ah well. :downs:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jeza posted:

No, as soon as you quit the game they disappear. Also if you play too many games afterwards, they also disappear. Why would Blizzard design a system to save your greatest plays only to keep them for however long the client is open with no option to download or permanently save them?

halo 3 came out a decade ago on console and I would give my soul for a replay system as good as the one it had in OW

replays you can watch from the perspective of any player in 1st or third person, or via a detachable camera, you can pause and rewind or go backwards or forwards by individual frames, you can save replays forever and even if you forget to save a replay at the end of a game you have a "recent games" replay history sitting in the theater lobby of like the last 10 games or something so you can go back and save any of them later to keep them permanently

please blizz

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeza posted:

I don't understand why it doesn't save them or highlights in some video format or another locally.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Proper demo files for Overwatch would be really nice. It could allow for a better spectator experience in tournaments too.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The best way to imagine Blizzard is as one of the Ents from LOTR. I'm pretty sure they said that in-game functionality for saving PotG's was on their list back in the beta. Much like how it took years of whining and wrangling for Blizzard to give players more deck slots in Hearthstone, you put an idea in one end and pray that you aren't dead by the time the deliberation is over and the decision is reached.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I'd just like them to implement some way to spectate comp games. A delay, or lock spectator to only the person they're viewing the match from, something, but let me watch my friends play comp already

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Rirse posted:

The worst is always Pharah, since half the time when you hear "Justice rains from the sky" you can't react and die.

That's what she says? I always hear "Justice rai- UWAAH!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's good but it requires setup and coordination to work remotely well. It's a lot like Sombra's ult in that way.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Jeza posted:

The best way to imagine Blizzard is as one of the Ents from LOTR. I'm pretty sure they said that in-game functionality for saving PotG's was on their list back in the beta. Much like how it took years of whining and wrangling for Blizzard to give players more deck slots in Hearthstone, you put an idea in one end and pray that you aren't dead by the time the deliberation is over and the decision is reached.

Ents are a pretty good analogy.

The game already temporarily saves highlights. I flat out refuse to believe the coding needed to make highlights "permanent" is some crazy impassable hurdle. Hearthstone's deck limit is also incredibly apt.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

IronicDongz posted:

halo 3 came out a decade ago on console and I would give my soul for a replay system as good as the one it had in OW

replays you can watch from the perspective of any player in 1st or third person, or via a detachable camera, you can pause and rewind or go backwards or forwards by individual frames, you can save replays forever and even if you forget to save a replay at the end of a game you have a "recent games" replay history sitting in the theater lobby of like the last 10 games or something so you can go back and save any of them later to keep them permanently

please blizz

For real. I mean, Quake loving 1 had this poo poo figured out 20 years ago. Twenty years!!

It blows my mind that Overwatch doesn't have demo recording, especially with how hard Blizzard pushes it to be a legit e-sport.

Edit: to be fair, I can maybe speculate why they might not allow client-side demo recording to the degree you'd have seen in Q1: In order for the the client to save that demo it would need to always know the position and state of every actor in the level, which could be exploited for cheating purposes. Maybe get around that by adding a 30 second delay to the Fred, or only offering the complete match to the client as a payload at the end?

dumb. fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

dogstile posted:

It feels slow because the rockets have a travel time. Which is another reason not to do it high up in the air but instead as close and hidden as possible.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Autism Sneaks posted:

I played against a Symmetra the other day who threw two or three turrets on a basketball-sized physics object and then ran around with it caught in her Gravity Gun. I wasn't even mad I almost died to the little ball of doom, it was pretty clever

Was it Muselk? He just did that in a video the other day on the PTR. Apparently Orisa's shield will stick to basketballs too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

The potential DPS is 1200, but the spread of her rocket barrage makes Reaper look like a sharpshooter by comparison. Even though you're pumping out a lot of rockets, only the squishiest characters will take enough damage to die in that first second - unless you're right up in someone's face, half that damage will miss and the other half will be evenly divided across the entire enemy team. And of course, if you're right up in someone's face, they'll just kill you with your own splash damage.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I've found Pharah's barrage to be unreliable. Sometimes I'll let loose on a Zen and watch 3+ rockets land around him and only deal ~60 damage, while other times I've shot a Rein and somehow killed him with the same amount of rockets.

On the flip-side, when on the receiving end, latency has caused some funky results like dying on the first missile (only for replay to show you got hit by 5 rockets before actually dying.) I assume its because the server is trying to catch up in sending you the packets.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Big bug that Blizzard needs to fix:

I often die after firing a rocket (regular, not ult) and the rocket disappears mid-air. Annoying as gently caress when it prevents a kill. Projectiles should not disappear when you die.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Big bug that Blizzard needs to fix:

I often die after firing a rocket (regular, not ult) and the rocket disappears mid-air. Annoying as gently caress when it prevents a kill. Projectiles should not disappear when you die.

This drives me insane. I always forget about it after coming from TF2 where you could die with value if you got that last rocket off to wipe a sentry nest or hiding medic etc. Go to do the same thing as Zar/Pharah... nope.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that just sounds like latency, which isn't really a simple bug to be fixed

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Poor Pharah and her ult. Two sides of it from last night. I'm Pharah, final stretch of Route 66 attack mystery heroes. They are tank heavy and all clumped up just ahead of the payload. I peek and shoot until I have my ult then go all the way around to flank them from behind, waiting til I see roadhog use his hook. I pop over the crate, start the ult, then die to a turret a respawning torb had randomly placed in their entrance hallway way back from all the fighting.

Eichenwalde point A defense, I'm mercy, a pharah has been buzzing around overhead shooting at us for a full minute giving me plenty of charge as I heal up her hits. At one point she had a rooftop duel against a reaper that they both ended up fleeing from. After a while I'm like, whatever happened to that Pharah and turn to see her floating overhead with a sliver of life left. I swap to pistol and fire a few shots "JUSTI... aaaagh"

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Dyz posted:

It feels slow because the rockets have a travel time. Which is another reason not to do it high up in the air but instead as close and hidden as possible.

Pretty much this. Pharahs ultimate is great but you have to be pretty precise on when you use it. You want the other team to be dealing with something else, like a bastion or Winston ulting or something similar. Otherwise you're going to get killed in the first ~2 seconds of your ultimate.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So I noticed I and some of the people I play with have a definite weakness against a good Genji. What is the proper way to deal with decent Genji players?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

So I noticed I and some of the people I play with have a definite weakness against a good Genji. What is the proper way to deal with decent Genji players?

I personally enjoy breaking out a Winston or Symmetra in those situations because not having to aim as your run him down is great fun and seeing the Genji panic and try to jump away is muy satisfacto

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Also Sombra if she hacks him just ruins Genji easily. Really easy to hack them if they are in the middle of their reflect skill, as they are powerless to stop it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dogstile posted:

it's slow in that it's inconsistent since the rockets don't go in a straight line, so you can end up missing a bunch even if you're looking straight at a guy. the rockets won't all land on anything but a rein shield in the first place either. keep in mind that that's the maximum potential dps, which is different from what you will actually get out of it. technically speaking, reaper can do a max of 560 dps and can oneshot 200 health heroes but in practice that's almost never gonna actually happen because it requires perfect headshots

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Rirse posted:

Also Sombra if she hacks him just ruins Genji easily. Really easy to hack them if they are in the middle of their reflect skill, as they are powerless to stop it.

cant reflect be cancelled with another action?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe you can dash out of it, I'm not sure, but nothing else can do it for sure. once you're in that animation, you're committed to it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ToastyPotato posted:

Roadhog or Zenyatta, and if you're really confident in your reactions, McCree.

Some people will tell you to play Winston to counter Genji. These people have never actually played a good Genji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
zarya is pretty good against genji if you can track well enough