Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Yeah, it's great.

Exactly!

Also oh poo poo, this is it, the episode that freaked me out as a child, the one where the prisoners get a bunch of gross parasitic boils all over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Homeland: Season 6: Goddamn you, F. Murray Abraham.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Carrie is not a good mother he did her a favor

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Carrie is not a good mother he did her a favor

Oh, Carrie is indeed a realllly bad mother, but that was more of a "Somehow Dar knows who did the bombing and is protecting them" sort of comment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh right. Also that torture scene was just yikes.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I haven't even seen the new episode yet but I already want Dar to get Saul's patented 'stick em in a trunk and shoot the gently caress out of the car' treatment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m watching Season 1 of The Good Wife on the suggestion of a lady friend. On Episode 4 now. It feels… trashy. Things happen because the plot calls for it. Characters are pretty two dimensional. Do it get better? Or at least different?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I was totally fine with that aspect of it, I just really didn't like how they felt the need to overcomplicate the plot with that teacher who was apparently a different kind of satanist who was secretly manipulating all the events of the episode, or things like how the kid revealing she had been abused in satanic rituals was apparently misremembering half of it. It just muddied the waters of what should've been a straightforward goofy satanic teacher's union story.

That teacher wasn't a different kind of satanist. It was literally Satan, taking time out of his busy schedule to gently caress with a small town. That's what makes the entire episode so amazing. And children's faulty testimony is a HUGE aspect of the whole real world events, as 99% of the time the only thing court cases were built on were coerced testimony where the interviewer wouldn't take no for an answer and encouraged kids to use their imaginations. So that aspect felt totally necessary to include, since it was meant to contrast this reality where some teachers actually were Satanists.

The entire thesis of the episode is "Satanic Panic is so dumb that even Satan can't help but laugh at it."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 6, 2017

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Vegetable posted:

I’m watching Season 1 of The Good Wife on the suggestion of a lady friend. On Episode 4 now. It feels… trashy. Things happen because the plot calls for it. Characters are pretty two dimensional. Do it get better? Or at least different?

I thought the first season was the weakest by far. It focused too much on Peters affair. The show is at it's best when Alicia does her own thing with some of the recurring clients.

I didn't care much about it when I saw the first few episodes, but I really fell in love with the show later on and it still is one of my favorite shows.
I don't know if you will like it, but if you like lawyer shows in general I would say stick with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

e: wow you guys weren't kidding about season 4 of Sherlock being really bad, I loved season 3 but season 4 is almost impressively dire and silly

I read this and I was trying to remember if I'd seen all of season 4, because I couldn't remember a thing about it.
I guess my brain was blocking that stupid poo poo out, because I looked it up and all the memories came back and gently caress you for making me remember that garbage.

Lurdiak posted:

The satanist episode of X-files was profoundly stupid.

You have to remember that it was contemporary with this

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gonz posted:

Oh, Carrie is indeed a realllly bad mother, but that was more of a "Somehow Dar knows who did the bombing and is protecting them" sort of comment.

I think it's as simple as Dar knows who did the bombing because he hired them to do it, we've seen them speaking on the phone. His agenda seems to be crafting a situation where the new president has to continue to lean on Dar's way of doing things, whether by forging evidence of an Iranian nuclear program or creating a terrorist attack (with high visibility and a low body count) in the middle of NYC. It's a very interesting plot, and this season has been really good.

On another Homeland note, the cabin where Astrid held Quinn this week, that was absolutely the Carrie/Brody getaway cabin from S1, right? Or do all cabins just look alike?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What so is Homeland good again?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

I heard it got good a couple seasons ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Looked on the CW website and apparently Episode 2 of Riverdale isn't available there. That should be something that CW would be on top of, right?..Unless there isn't an Episode 2?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

No.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Looked on the CW website and apparently Episode 2 of Riverdale isn't available there. That should be something that CW would be on top of, right?..Unless there isn't an Episode 2?

Are 1 and 3 up there? Sometimes networks rotate out old episodes from streaming availability. It's annoying.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

TV Zombie posted:

They only keep the last 5, a la CBS, and thus they phase the earliest ones out. I'm thinking it's popular enough that it doesn't need to keep and play them all like Supergirl had to on CW for awhile to gain recognition on the network.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ShakeZula posted:

On another Homeland note, the cabin where Astrid held Quinn this week, that was absolutely the Carrie/Brody getaway cabin from S1, right?

It immediately gave me flashbacks to their love nest as well.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The pyromaniac episode is probably one of the worst season one episodes of X-Files but it is kind of awesome to see Crowley from Supernatural/Gaius' lawyer from Battlestar Galactica young and fit and with a full head of hair.

feedmyleg posted:

The entire thesis of the episode is "Satanic Panic is so dumb that even Satan can't help but laugh at it."

The opening scene of a boring teacher conference that ends with them all "hail Satan"ing each other is such a hilarious Banality of Evil moment.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Somehow I got back into watching Chuck again and I don't know why, please help me. At least I skipped most of season 3.
e: some of it was legitimately funny, which actually surprised me. I was looked back on it as a trash show (with some heart).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

Somehow I got back into watching Chuck again and I don't know why, please help me. At least I skipped most of season 3.
e: some of it was legitimately funny, which actually surprised me. I was looked back on it as a trash show (with some heart).

Just skip the last season. I loved that show for 2 seasons and then it started to get really bad. And then the last season arc was literally unforgivable. Just complete trash.

It's a show with a lot of charm. Very charismatic cast all around. That carries it through a lot of bullshit.

Not that last season though. Yeesh.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Just skip the last season. I loved that show for 2 seasons and then it started to get really bad. And then the last season arc was literally unforgivable. Just complete trash.

It's a show with a lot of charm. Very charismatic cast all around. That carries it through a lot of bullshit.

Not that last season though. Yeesh.
Yeah season 2 was great fun. Season 4 regained some of that, but I guess season 5 lost it again. Good to know.
Also to be fair Yvonne Strahovski rocks :swoon: She needs to be in more things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, you can avoid this spoiler if you want, but the premise of season 5 is that Sarah's memory is wiped, and Chuck has to make her fall in love with him all over again. She never gets her memory back. They erase her entire character and all of her development since the beginning of the show and it's just "Chuck has to win over a hot chick". It's disgusting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How I Met Your Father is now dead for the second time, as the This Is Us writers who were working on it got promoted to executive producers on the show, so now they don't have the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MacGyver is visiting Hawaii and will team up with the cast of Hawaii Five-o this Friday...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

How I Met Your Father is now dead for the second time, as the This Is Us writers who were working on it got promoted to executive producers on the show, so now they don't have the time.

Oh gee, such tragic news.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Like, you can avoid this spoiler if you want, but the premise of season 5 is that Sarah's memory is wiped, and Chuck has to make her fall in love with him all over again. She never gets her memory back. They erase her entire character and all of her development since the beginning of the show and it's just "Chuck has to win over a hot chick". It's disgusting.
Huh, I'd heard that but thought it was only the final episode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not the entire last season. It's the last few episodes of it though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snak posted:

Ugh. I never saw the last season and always meant to go back through and finish it, but that really does sound so terrible and a betrayal of everything you watched up to that point.

IRQ posted:

The contention seems to be that once they moved past Brody and his family it got good again.

I haven't bothered to check since it sounds like "good" is just 24 type stuff that I don't really enjoy and there's probably only so much I can marvel at Claire Danes acting out a breakdown.

Plus I'm busy rending my heart apart by binging Shameless and Emmy Rossum so I don't have room for Danes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Claire Danes did break down again this episode. It must be in her contract. She's trying to beat Julianne Moore in the crying game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's not the entire last season. It's the last few episodes of it though.

I guess that's true, but that does not make it better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vegetable posted:

It has a rough start. In the later seasons it basically becomes The Wire except it's about rich white people exclusively.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
TIme after Time Tv Series is garbage. Ugh I really liked the movie but this is just awful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Snak posted:

That's the premise of the final 2 episodes and it's clear that she's slowly getting her memory back by the end of them even if they don't show her explicitly going "oh I remember everything now, Chuck."

Also, skipping season 3 was a bad idea because everything from Shaw turning evil up to the season finale was really good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I must have blocked the rest of the final season from my brain then. I remember the house and the dumb drawing. Either way, it's not a good season, even though I was wrong about how much of it was taken up by that bullshit.

The first 3 seasons are decent though, with 2 being the real high point.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Ugh. I never saw the last season and always meant to go back through and finish it, but that really does sound so terrible and a betrayal of everything you watched up to that point.

Yeah, never do that, the final season is irredeemable garbage. The show really went off the rails after season 3, but by season 5 it becomes a flaming wreck.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

TIme after Time Tv Series is garbage. Ugh I really liked the movie but this is just awful.

I found it very average. A few twists here and there but it's not clear how exactly they're going to draw all this out into a series.

And the ratings were low so they may not get more than this season.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm going to offer a counterpoint to this Chuck negativity and say that while the first three seasons were definitely the best of them, the last two seasons were not garbage. I would say that the eps were at worst, bland and uninteresting, but still watchable. It's not like the show took a dark turn or anything that completely transformed it and betrayed the audience; it had just grown weary on a lot of people by then.

I'll also point out that every midseason ep and season finale of every season, even the worst one (season 4), ranged from pretty good to fantastic. I didn't appreciate the amnesia development at the end of s5, but it ended in a very sweet way anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Casting Clive Standen as Liam Neeson in Taken was a stroke of genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Casting Clive Standen as Liam Neeson in Taken was a stroke of genius

Yeah, he's good in the role and convincing as a young Neeson, pity the show isn't very good though.

• Locked thread