Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Wanna go in together on buying Seabass's old DW12? Looks like it's missing a few aero pieces.

http://www.keyauctioneers.com/kvracingindycar/

They don't have the catalog up yet, but it looks like the auction of KV is going to include at least some knicknacks and memorabilia, so it should be worth a perusal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thats Stefan Wilson's chassis from the 500 with front and rear roadcourse wings from the 11? Also all of Stef's pit equipment from last year is up, but none of the 11's stuff, guessing that went to Juncos.

You can tell when a team really is tits up when they list their machining equipment and cabinets. :( sad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/837804268732088320

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oLSrlzGRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNzf9ikWtXY

AJ Foyt loving owns

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Dudley posted:

I suspect Indycar themselves would prefer not because it gives the impression of Indycar as a feeder series rather than a destination.

Indycar doing something about their lovely prize money structure may help with that, since aside from the 500, Super Formula usually offers more prize money for winning drivers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Very solid/rare pinball table, with Paul Page and Bobby Unser narration! Kicked my rear end a bit. Need to get me one.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You hit the pinball museum in Vegas today eh?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

You hit the pinball museum in Vegas today eh?

Oh you know it bud. I try to go whenever I'm in town.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
That place rules. I usually spend at least an entire day there every time I'm in near.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Very solid/rare pinball table, with Paul Page and Bobby Unser narration! Kicked my rear end a bit. Need to get me one.

I've been there, and I've played this. It's a loving rad game, dude!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cygni posted:

Enjoy the most 1990's video ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y03WzNGgGN0

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

One week till the season starts! :woop:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Fantasy IndyCar is back for 2017!

Go here to register then go here and enter the code LLJK to join our league.

Our league name is Formula Juan and Friends

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
In it to win it, or maybe not completely embarrass myself.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I figured I'd give it a shot since I watch all the races anyway. Pretty relieved that I didn't have to come up with a witty team name though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
JAY HOWARD is entered in the Indianapolis 500

:confuoot:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ganassi wasn't joking when he was saying that Dixon's cars would have some familiar sponsors from the Target rotation. GE will be on the 9 for St Pete:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Cessna would've been a better sponsor on the IR-05 :v:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah buddy, time to lose by one point again!

*edit*
I'm assuming this will change before Sunday, the fantasy site is still using last year's driver costs and stats.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 6, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

Ganassi wasn't joking when he was saying that Dixon's cars would have some familiar sponsors from the Target rotation. GE will be on the 9 for St Pete:

hi i'm originally from ny's capital region, home of general electric, and i just wanted to say that ge is among the absolute worst companies in the entire world~

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Large corporation? Terrible? WELL I NEVER.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Large corporation? Terrible? WELL I NEVER.

I wonder how much of it also comes from the Internet's hatred of Edison

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

iospace posted:

I wonder how much of it also comes from the Internet's hatred of Edison

i give zero fucks one way or the other about edison

i do care about them loving destroying the hudson river virtually single-handedly and also firing a ton of dudes and plundering their retirement money

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

financially racist posted:

hi i'm originally from ny's capital region, home of general electric, and i just wanted to say that ge is among the absolute worst companies in the entire world~

My dad does business with GE and this is accurate.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Oh yeah? My uncle works for Nintendo. :v:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

Oh yeah? My uncle works for Nintendo. :v:

My next door neighbor when I was growing up actually worked for Nintendo, in distribution and sales. He carried around a crate of NES games and we borrowed new ones from him from time to time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My boss's sister works for GE and I can also confirm they are the worst company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst company is actually the Indy Racing League

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

The IRL during it's worst days is miles better than what Cup is trying to do right now.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/838771339435651072

Christ at least the worst they tried to do in this department was trying to make the cars sound like Offenhauser powered Millers or something.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

from 2007-2011, indycar ran a series mandated muffler

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

njsykora posted:

You pick 4 drivers for each race with a $100 salary cap. Driver value is I think determined by championship position and recent form. Then you score the same points for each driver's finishing position that they earn in the championship. And Indy you get to pick 10 drivers with a $500 cap. There's also a average speed predictor for every race that acts as a tiebreaker. There'll presumably be signup links posted here when the new fantasy season starts but it all runs from the Indycar website. Knowing nothing about Indycar last year I finished 3rd with a policy of always picking Josef Newgarden and Max Chilton.

You can either go with one really good, two midpack, one backmarker or Two top tier, two backmarkers on your strategy play. Or four midpack drivers, I guess.

WindyMan posted:

Oreovicz is gone from ESPN just as the season is getting underway and the series becomes an even lower priority for them. Not that Oreo or ESPN was ever a primary or top source for Indy news, but even so that's a pretty sizable loss of exposure for Indycar.

Meanwhile, ESPN is dropping more ballast as it continues its slow descent into irrelevance. When does that ESPN deal expire? Indycar and the 500 needs to be on NBC sooner rather than later.

I've always found fascinating that, despite getting out of racing completely, ABC/ESPN still found value in and a want to broadcast the Indy 500. Don't get me wrong, I love Indy, I'm just surprised they're willing to put money out for it given the tire fire ESPN is now and wonder if they'll re-up somehow.

Allen Bestwick's dream was to call the Indy 500 and he's probably going to get about two more times to do it. :(

The thing I hate about NBC's IndyCar coverage is it's a revolving door of personalities. Leigh Diffey, Brian Till, Rick Allen, Kevin Lee all do PBP, with PT, Townsend Bell, Steve Matchett, David Hobbs doing color. It seems to have gotten better, but there's no identity with the broadcast team. Maybe they can poach AB somehow and dangle hockey games in front of him unless he's got a contract like Bob Varsha's which has essentially made him invisible in racing.

WindyMan posted:

Just consider how long they kept Marty Reid in the booth for ABC broadcasts after he demonstrated himself to be less than competent at the job. At this rate, that kind of dedication to excellence in broadcasting isn't that far down the road in other ESPN productions.

Marty was the second biggest Danica cheerleader in racing behind Todd Harris (another "excellent" hire), and it seemed ESPN and IndyCar didn't mind that.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 7, 2017

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Bob Varsha's contract actually ended with Fox. I'm pretty sure he's just retired now.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138618-prospects-rising-for-third-indycar-engine-supplier

Pruett with another tree shake for a third engine manufacturer. Seems to be gaining a little more traction now.

quote:

"I think a third [manufacturer] is important for lots of reasons," Miles said. "From the time I've been involved ... there's always a conversation with one or more of them, and I think we are at a point now with one of them that seems more promising, but further and more pointed than we've had before."

Although Miles wouldn't be drawn on the identity of the interested manufacturer, the car company is believed to be based in Europe.

"If we got something done in the first half of this year, you still wouldn't see them probably till 2019," he added.

He also brings up good point about the costs involved and what kind of potential ROI an incoming manufacturer would potentially get. Comparing it to NASCAR's situation was interesting, with the cost of sponsoring one Cup car with occasional exposure in a series in decline being the same as getting to badge several IndyCars and persistent exposure in a series on the rise.

There are only so many European manus that would fit with the open-wheel engine formula and be in the market for the value proposition buy-in to the series. This bit of info really narrows things down.

Alfa, I guess? Who else could fit this profile?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fiat (Alfa), VW, and Mercedes were all in the manufacturer pow-wow they did before the 2.2l V6 formula was chosen. I don't think BMW, PSA, or Renault-Nissan were, as far as I remember.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Fiat (Alfa), VW, and Mercedes were all in the manufacturer pow-wow they did before the 2.2l V6 formula was chosen. I don't think BMW, PSA, or Renault-Nissan were, as far as I remember.

I can't see VW getting back into mainstream racing anytime soon with the diesel scandal. Mercedes, maybe. Fiat is probably the front runner though. Alfa had a Super Bowl commercial and all of that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alfa or MB? Good stuff.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Although Mercedes Benz was a supplier in the CART days, I don't really see a great reason for them to get back into American open wheel racing. Alfa seems more reasonable given the recent reintroduction of their brand back to the U.S. market.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, March 10 - Sunday, March 12

Track: Streets of St. Petersburg, 1.8-mile, 14-turn temporary street circuit (clockwise) through downtown St. Petersburg, Florida.
Race Distance: 110 laps / 198 miles

Entry List: Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg (PDF)

Push-to-Pass Parameters: 150 seconds of total time with a max time of 15 seconds
Firestone Tire Allotment: Seven sets primary, four sets alternate

Twitter: @GPSTPETE, @IndyCar, #FirestoneGP, #IndyCar
Event Website: https://www.gpstpete.com

2016 Race Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya (No. 2 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet)
2016 Verizon P1 Award Winner: Will Power (No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet), 1 minute, 0.2450 seconds, 107.561 mph
One-Lap Qualifying Record: Will Power, 1:00.0658; 107.882 mph, March 12, 2016 (Set in Round 2 of Qualifying)

ABC Race Broadcast: Sunday, March 12 (Noon ET)

quote:

Allen Bestwick is the lead announcer for ABC broadcasts for the fourth consecutive year alongside analysts Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever Jr. Pit reporters are Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch and Jon Beekhuis.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts: Mark Jaynes is the chief announcer alongside analyst Davey Hamilton. Pit reporters are Nick Yeoman, Brad Gillie and Michael Young, with Jake Query as the turn announcer. All Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on network affilaites, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR Mobile app.

Video Streaming: All practice sessions for the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg will be available on the INDYCAR YouTube channel and https://racecontrol.indycar.com. Live coverage of qualifying will also be available via live streaming.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Although Mercedes Benz was a supplier in the CART days, I don't really see a great reason for them to get back into American open wheel racing. Alfa seems more reasonable given the recent reintroduction of their brand back to the U.S. market.

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

FuzzySkinner posted:

You'd have to do some juggling IMO.

I can only see Mercedes Benz coming if Penske was the partner.

Then Ganassi or Andretti would have to be Chevy (Cosworth?) and Honda powered.

Problem there is Illmor is practically connected to Penske iirc. It'd have to be Andretti since they're now 2nd fiddle again but now with Honda.

• Locked thread