Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ron Jeremy posted:

From the rules perspective, is it then a better result to heavily damage a USN CV as opposed to sinking it?

You'd have to damage it so much it was in dock for more than a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RZApublican posted:

Does CB mean Cruiser-carrier or Battlecruiser-carrier?

As in CB-1 and CB-2? Large cruiser. The Alaska and the Guam respectively. Pretty much battlecruisers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The smarter thing to do is to focus on British and Dutch ships first and then shift your attention to the US in 1944!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If we're worried about the Automatic Ship replacements rule in the manual, according to this thread that rule isn't a thing anymore so the U.S doesn't get free replacement carriers.

Unless Grey modded it back in or changed the options.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 6, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Holy poo poo. They had to refuel the
Midway every 3 days?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

Midway every 3 days?

There's a reason that we switched to nukes for our carriers.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Midway every 3 days?

When operating at sea the ship was refueled every three days, burning approximately 100,000 gallons of oil a day

Wow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
And now you know why fleet oilers are so valuable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i81icu812 posted:

When operating at sea the ship was refueled every three days, burning approximately 100,000 gallons of oil a day

Wow.

Now think about the Midway serving from 1945 until 1992.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

This suspense is killing me. I wanna see convoy carnage.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The logistics of the pacific war continue to amaze me. gently caress the carriers. Hit the oilers.

E: lovely derail but what does that Russian carrier burn in fuel and how often does it have to refuel?

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 6, 2017

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Dreamsicle posted:

If we're worried about the Automatic Ship replacements rule in the manual, according to this thread that rule isn't a thing anymore so the U.S doesn't get free replacement carriers.

Unless Grey modded it back in or changed the options.

Bunch of whiny IJN fanboy scrubs...

They should be grateful the game doesn't allow US modding and for radar to be even deadlier than it is.

If Grey wants to win I want it to be a mountain of two hundred allied CVs, BBs and Cruisers and hundreds more Fletcher DDs!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 6, 2017

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
One of the many jobs my grandfather did when he was in the Navy was serving as an AA gunner onboard a fleet oiler. Probably the best job he ever had, because standard procedure was apparently to be as far away from the rest of the fleet as possible and absolutely never, ever actually shoot the AA gun and attract attention to yourself. They weren't allowed to be around the rest of the fleet when just sailing around for obvious reasons.

He said that his ship refueled the Indianapolis, although obviously he didn't know the significance of that at the time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I served on a modern fast supply ship back in the day. It was weird thinking of sleeping on that much bullets on bombs and gas. If we got hit, it would have been a pretty big boom.

Also, unreps are pretty cool. We also took our POVs on board once for a longish trip to San Diego.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

I served on a modern fast supply ship back in the day. It was weird thinking of sleeping on that much bullets on bombs and gas. If we got hit, it would have been a pretty big boom.

Also, unreps are pretty cool. We also took our POVs on board once for a longish trip to San Diego.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs4IJQVRYM

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pretty much. Sweet dreams everyone!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

RA Rx posted:

They should be grateful the game doesn't allow US modding

From what I can gather, this should be possible through the Scenario Editor unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Lets start the day with an aperitif – an oiler.

A couple of survivors run into the Kiddo Butai – and ehre we see the Hiyo shooting up a destroyer. We take no damage.

Its not a good time to be on a light crusier.

The next waver gets more hits in.

Dammit, we lost that troop convoy! I wonder where they went. I'll have a look around.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
No! My beautiful carnage, why have you forsaken me?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
All of those targets and no confirmed kills?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
An AO and two CLs is cool but I'd rather drown 10,000 pixelmarines.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
IJN post battle assement means those cruisers, battleships and destroyers were actually 3 fishing boats, a patrol boat and 2 extremely large fur seals.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Grey Hunter posted:

Lets start the day with an aperitif – an oiler.

Always good to see an oiler kill (except when it's one if ours).

That lead me to look up what Japan's fleet replenishment was like, and I learned about the Shiretoko Maru
http://www.combinedfleet.com/Shiretoko_t.htm

In just over two years, she survived six separate submarine attacks (and one air raid) for a total of ten claimed Torpedo hits and survived, only to be finally sunk by B-29s in a raid on Singapore

RIP Japan's finest damage control party

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

i81icu812 posted:

All of those targets and no confirmed kills?

Not even a sighting!
I'll get them though!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grumio posted:

Always good to see an oiler kill (except when it's one if ours).

That lead me to look up what Japan's fleet replenishment was like, and I learned about the Shiretoko Maru
http://www.combinedfleet.com/Shiretoko_t.htm

In just over two years, she survived six separate submarine attacks (and one air raid) for a total of ten claimed Torpedo hits and survived, only to be finally sunk by B-29s in a raid on Singapore

RIP Japan's finest damage control party

My theory is that it had nothing to do with damage control and that instead the sea recoiled from its sheer ugliness

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

aphid_licker posted:

My theory is that it had nothing to do with damage control and that instead the sea recoiled from its sheer ugliness

Clicked expecting Yamashiro, was disappointed by a perfectly normal looking ship.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose more planes to bombers.

The Bettys find a troopship – there are carriers in the region, but the bad weather may prevent them from launching.

They do in fact get planes into the air, and the hits begin to mount.

This has not been as bloody as I hoped.

A light cruiser kill!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Aww man, it's like the Allies don't want those free swimming lessons we've been so selflessly giving away all this time.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

6 March 1943

Japanese destroyers Minegumo and Murasame, sunk in a night action in the Blackett Strait off Kolombangara by an American task force consisting of the Cleveland-class light cruisers Cleveland, Montpelier, and Denver (recognize any of these names?) and three destroyers.
Japanese patrol boat No. 34 (formerly destroyer Susuki), collided with target ship Yakaze off Kavieng, never repaired.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

6 March 1943

Japanese destroyers Minegumo and Murasame, sunk in a night action in the Blackett Strait off Kolombangara by an American task force consisting of the Cleveland-class light cruisers Cleveland, Montpelier, and Denver (recognize any of these names?) and three destroyers.
Japanese patrol boat No. 34 (formerly destroyer Susuki), collided with target ship Yakaze off Kavieng, never repaired.

BTW if anyone is interested in the play by play of these nighttime destroyer knife fights in the Solomons, I can't recommend Japanese Destroyer Captain highly enough. They're the memoirs of one of the most decorated Japanese destroyer captains of the war, and they're gripping reading. The change from the IJN ruling the night to the USN implementing radar fire control and turning the tables is amazing and terrifying.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Grey Hunter posted:

A couple of survivors run into the Kiddo Butai – and ehre we see the Hiyo shooting up a destroyer. We take no damage.
I check out for a few days and come back to my lucky ship pasting a destroyer. :peanut:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Does that gun icon on the hiyo mean it was the one who scored those two hits on Mahan?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

Does that gun icon on the hiyo mean it was the one who scored those two hits on Mahan?

At least one hit, as each shot is its own line at the bottom.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Wait, did one of our carriers successfully engage an enemy warship with its guns? :japan:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Wait, did one of our carriers successfully engage an enemy warship with its guns? :japan:

:japan: "Drive closer, I want to hit it with my sword."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The naval doctrines in this timeline are gonna be SO messed up. When are we gonna start mounting 16in guns on carriers?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crazycryodude posted:

The naval doctrines in this timeline are gonna be SO messed up. When are we gonna start mounting 16in guns on carriers?

THE ISE BBV IS THE FUTURE.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Whatever superheavy nuclear battleship abomination the IJN comes up with after its inevitable victory will be absolutely amazing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Obviously they were too close for missiles. Had to switch to guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nuclear powered, railgun armed, 150k ton Yamato II will truly be a glorious sight