Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what a world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

#1 Best

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Everyone's talking about how you can go to the final dungeon in Zelda from the beginning, but you can kind of do that in Horizon too!

At least I am guessing that was what it was, because I was wandering around looking for collectibles and then out of nowhere Aloy started talking about how the machines were more defensive (they were normal), how she was entering into forbidden territory (it looked like all the other mountains I've climbed) and then I got an ominous boss cutscene (for a machine I had already killed in multiple high-level sidequests). Then it ended up being a dead end since I guess the story hasn't activated whatever's supposed to be there yet.

Cool vistas though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There are still a good number of JRPGs being made, it's just that a lot of them aren't actually from Japan. :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't remember the exact statistic but I think it's only like 10% of people pick femshep in mass effect which is kind of a shame because jennifer hale is very good

Wasn't femshep supposed to be the main one but they put male on the box for better sales?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Default Male Shep had a specially-designed face that you couldn't recreate with the custom generator, whereas the default FemShep in 1 and 2 was from the generator assets.

I remember because in the lead-up to ME3 they had that whole thing where they set up a Facebook poll for people to pick what the specially-designed cover FemShep would look like

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't remember the exact statistic but I think it's only like 10% of people pick femshep in mass effect which is kind of a shame because jennifer hale is very good

It's weird because I thought the playerbase of mass effect was supposed to be pretty evenly split between genders. Bioware games generally do pretty well with women relative to other developers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Red Bones posted:

It's weird because I thought the playerbase of mass effect was supposed to be pretty evenly split between genders. Bioware games generally do pretty well with women relative to other developers.

The last time they did analytics on this, only like half of everybody even used the character creator tool and most just selected default Soldier John Shepard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The last time they did analytics on this, only like half of everybody even used the character creator tool and most just selected default Soldier John Shepard.

here's the image which is the source of most of this information, that i think was originally published by bioware themselves on their findings

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Character creator tools are really loving boring and tedious to use.

Like, it's almost always impossible to tell from a slider's name what it's going to actually do. So you gotta gently caress with it to find out. But you don't know what any of the later sliders do, so sometimes you set a slider one way thinking it's the closes you're going to get to what you want, and then two tabs later another slider actually does the thing that you wanted and it's like "okay, so... should I go back and set that first slider to neutral so that I can gently caress with this one... or... gently caress I've been playing for 20 minutes and I'm not even playing the game yet gently caress this"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just hit random until I get to something vaguely okay and then play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

Character creator tools are really loving boring and tedious to use.

Like, it's almost always impossible to tell from a slider's name what it's going to actually do. So you gotta gently caress with it to find out. But you don't know what any of the later sliders do, so sometimes you set a slider one way thinking it's the closes you're going to get to what you want, and then two tabs later another slider actually does the thing that you wanted and it's like "okay, so... should I go back and set that first slider to neutral so that I can gently caress with this one... or... gently caress I've been playing for 20 minutes and I'm not even playing the game yet gently caress this"

I can't tell you how many Shepards I liquefied in ME1 after spending 30 minutes in the character creator getting everything perfect, only for them to have some horrible stank rear end face for the big dramatic reveal in the opening moments of the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was obligated to play manshep because he embodies two Marks (VA and custom face) and my name is also Mark.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

My new thing that I do on soulsgame replays is I move every slider to one extreme or the other. It's a hoot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

exquisite tea posted:

For some reason this is common across most games with character creators, which is why awesome character creation options have become fairly rare in most modern games. For some brain damaged reason, most players do not even bother, so why spend so many resources on it?

Phantasium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I have stopped giving a poo poo about character appearance and just roll with whatever.

I remember spending hours with the character creation in Oblivion, even to the point of downloading FaceGen software. That was a total waste considering the game was so ugly it was basically sculpting with moldy dried-out Play-Doh in any case

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

For some reason this is common across most games with character creators, which is why awesome character creation options have become fairly rare in most modern games. For some brain damaged reason, most players do not even bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkT-aMgZvQI

What games should do is release the character creator like a week before the game comes out, so that people can gently caress with it while they wait for the game to come out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're not operating a character creator like you're griffin mcelroy trying to record a new monster factory you are objectively doing it wrong

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

What games should do is release the character creator like a week before the game comes out, so that people can gently caress with it while they wait for the game to come out.

I think city of heroes did that?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I think city of heroes did that?

either saints row 3 or saints row 4 or both definitely did

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought about saying "more games" should do it, but I was lazy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

I remember doing this with Spore! That was the best part of that whole thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man that infograph makes me sad. Only 5% of people used best class Engineer :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That infograph makes me happy in other ways, because hell yeah gently caress the Quarians.

Also Liara has only a 54% survival rate in ME3. :catstare: That's ridiculous to me because there is only one very small window across all three games where she can die.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Nier Automata is scoring about 20-ish points higher than the first game on metacritic. For comparison, Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto 3 was a 27 point jump. Yoko Taro directed games usually score in the mid to low 60s.

babypolis posted:

I loved the first kohan and didnt even know there was a second one!

I might have to look that up

To be fair, a lot of people said the same back in 2004.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember doing this with Spore! That was the best part of that whole thing

...I... I think I paid 10 dollars for the Spore creature creator... :negative:

I never even bought the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember buying a third memory card so I could save more create-a-wrestlers for Day of Reckoning on Gamecube, because the game weirdly had a fairly low hard limit on how many you could have per save file.

Day of Reckoning 2 seemed to have some decent options as well but the create-a-wrestler was insufferably laggy and slow to load models.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Optimus Prime

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sunning posted:

Nier Automata is scoring about 20-ish points higher than the first game on metacritic. For comparison, Grand Theft Auto 2 to Grand Theft Auto 3 was a 27 point jump. Yoko Taro directed games usually score in the mid to low 60s.

It's almost like Platinum is a good developer

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ubisoft picked the worst possible time to release Wildlands, didn't they? Just hide it under a pile of some of the best open-world games ever made and hope the multiplayer aspect saves it from complete obscurity, I guess?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Saint's Row 3 had a demo that was just the character creator that you could then import into the game.

I love character creation and will happily restart to tweak some minor thing as long as the game is enjoyable.

Hell, I like trying to recreate the same character across multiple games given the opportunity.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Snak posted:

...I... I think I paid 10 dollars for the Spore creature creator... :negative:

I never even bought the game.

That's probably the best made part of the game, tbf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Ubisoft picked the worst possible time to release Wildlands, didn't they? Just hide it under a pile of some of the best open-world games ever made and hope the multiplayer aspect saves it from complete obscurity, I guess?

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

That's probably the best made part of the game, tbf.

Yeah, I don't regret never playing spore.

I do regret spending that $10 on the creature creator.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna force myself to play some more Yakuza 0 today. I don't wanna burn out on Horizon, especially since it's so ridiculously big.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

For ME3 I downloaded the Schwarzenegger-Shepard somebody else made and this decision pretty much set me on the renegade path because the facial changes+red eyes coming from that made him look more and more like Terminator.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The spore creature creator had some really impressive procedurally generated movement animation that I'm sure was pretty impressive from a programming/animation standpoint but yeah that game was a crippling disappointment, poor Will Wright. I actually really like the cell stage though - scope-wise and feature-wise, it's a really nice, fully realised little top down microbe game. It's probably the best part of that whole game, honestly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a kitten posted:

Saint's Row 3 had a demo that was just the character creator that you could then import into the game.

I love character creation and will happily restart to tweak some minor thing as long as the game is enjoyable.

Hell, I like trying to recreate the same character across multiple games given the opportunity.

Thankfully in some games you don't have to restart to change things up, like Saints Row (plastic surgery) or Dragon Age 2 (I think it was an option in the Black Emporium). In DA2 I changed up my appearance a few times to reflect how I ended up playing the character or when I got bored of whatever silly hair+beard combo I was using.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This is a genuinely insane 3 months for gaming in general. There are multiple GotY contenders and lots of great games all shoved into a time frame that is utterly absurd.

It really is. In just the first three months (plus a week) in 2017: RE7, Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon, Breath of the Wild, Nier: Automata, Mass Effect Andromeda (even if it's underwhelming, ME games are still at least slightly a big deal), and Persona 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Harrow posted:

Is Wildlands actually any good though?

• Locked thread