Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Carter. Ford. Hoover. I'll stop there because there's more further back that are less relevant. I won't even count the one-term guys that chose not to run again. But American presidents fail to get reelected for plenty of reasons, like being unpopular (Carter) or being tremendous fuckups (Hoover). Trump is historically unpopular and a huge fuckup, and this is assuming he doesn't just resign mid-term or not run for a second term. I would not be surprised if he puled a Sarah Palin and quit mid-term.

The only people who can prevent Trump from being a one-term president are the Democrats, who seem to determined to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chitoryu12 posted:

Trump is currently doing his best to make Nixon look like a genius politician. Among other things, Nixon had much more positive ratings than Trump at this time period and helped contribute to settling some of the tensions during the Cold War. He wasn't awesome and made some lovely decisions, but at least he had some kind of experience at governing.

He didn't gain his modern reputation until the Watergate scandal broke after he got elected for a second term. Trump, on the other hand, has too many scandals and gaffes to name that begin before he even took the oath of office.

Nixon is pretty solidly in the "good foreign policy, OK president, than he went full idiot" category. Dude deserves all the poo poo he gets, but now we are seeing the difference between a bad president and an incompetent one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nixon foreign policy: sabotage the Vietnam piece talks to win an election.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Its handling China well that gets him points, and well, being about as nuts as Trump but managing to actually do the job to a degree that its worthy of the title.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ah yes the good foreign policy, never mind all the dead Vietnamese.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

http://i.imgur.com/ae7vl9f.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

zakharov posted:

NVM: I'm an idiot.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

zakharov posted:

And Laotians. And Combodians. Dude had a "secret plan" for ending the Vietnam War peacefully, and in a way that would appeal to Americans who were mad about the war. It turned out to be "carpet bomb the entire peninsula into the Stone Age all day, every day, for four years."

If anything, some of Nixon's domestic policies were forward-thinking and positive. He started the EPA, for example. Then again, he also started the War on Drugs. Sooooooo

Trump still makes Nixon look like a genius, though. Nixon was your typical power-hungry politician, just more racist, antisemitic, and paranoid than most. Trump is your dumb great-uncle who believes everything he reads on Facebook. "Fw Fw Fw Fw Fw: OBUMMER wiretapped my phones!!!1" Nixon would have at least had the good sense to suspect the CIA.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I love this.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

MisterBibs posted:

I put the wrong manual back into the 2DS box I returned the other day, as evidenced by my desk possessing a 3DS and a 2DS manual.

I dunno if it's schadenfreude, though, because the only misfortune here is my own guilt over it, because I doubt someone buying a 2DS is going to be horribly pissed that they got a game manual for a 3DS.

Awww, cheer up, pal!
When i'm feeling down, i treat myself to a nice hotdog from Portillos. Picks my spirits right back up again!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Go throw a 5lb baseball like a baseball and tell me how that works out. I'll wait. :smug:

Edit: wiki says it weighs 14oz and a baseball weighs 5oz. My point still stands, though. Steel balls filled with explosives are significantly heavier than a twine ball bound in leather. As a result, a significantly different delivery method is required to get the 'ball' over 'home plate '.

You thought a grenade weighs 5 pounds. You thought a grenade was a super mario bomb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could cast a solid uranium pineapple grenade and it still wouldn’t weight five pounds.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is it to do with how long it takes to explode? Like if you throw it in an arc it will explode as it hits?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jippa posted:

Is it to do with how long it takes to explode? Like if you throw it in an arc it will explode as it hits?

I'm not a grenade expert, but I've always figured that grenades don't magically explode on impact.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not a grenade expert, but I've always figured that grenades don't magically explode on impact.

Yeah I know. I mean if you throw it in a looping arc it takes more time to travel and will give the people you are throwing it at less time to react.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jippa posted:

Yeah I know. I mean if you throw it in a looping arc it takes more time to travel and will give the people you are throwing it at less time to react.

I always figured that, throwing a grenade was to cause one or both of these actions:

1) to cause the guys you're throwing it at to run away and take their chances at being shot instead of exploding.
2) to cause the guys you're throwing it at to explode.

I don't think timing is a factor other than to prevent yourself from getting exploded.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The arc throw probably has more to do with getting it over obstacles. Like, throwing it in a high arc will let it clear walls and other bullshit that a straight line is more likely to hit. You're usually chucking them over buildings or walls, or into holes, so throwing it straight doesn't make as much sense most of the time.

Edit: bunch of amateurs with 20 Explosives skill ITT, myself included. I'm more of an Energy Weapons guy. :hellyeah:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not like grenades were never thrown overhand:

"Chicago Commerce, 1918 posted:

The victorious termination of the fighting south of Torcy in the Belleau Wood section and near Chateau‐Thierry, has marked the completion of the first American military operation under American direction on the western front. It was a success and was an offensive that was directed against a vital spot in the line. All France praises the Americans. The forces under Gen. Pershing have proved their worth. In doing so they have adopted a system of warfare that is distinctly their own, and it is one that is brimful of innovations. The Americans do not believe in giving the enemy any rest by day or night. Always they are pounding away at the Boche with their artillery. Their guns are hurling a solid sheet of steel into the enemy lines. The Americans, too, in many instances, have forsaken the old‐time, stiff‐arm fashion of throwing grenades. Now they hurl them as they would throw a baseball. By this system they have shattered no less than seven German divisions in three weeks. The slaughter they have wrought in the enemy lines has been terrific.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Theres the bit in band of brothers where the guy throws a grenade like a baseball and kills someone running away. The soldier was a college baseball player though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I was in this Army obstacle course thing when I was in the service where you had to do an obstacle course, map nav, all sorts of poo poo and get a score out of how well you did everything. We had this one lieutenant that couldn't throw the dummy gernade further than 12 feet, it was so funny the first time we saw it that we all started laughing and got smoked for an hour by the first sergeant. I guess the dude had never thrown a ball or football, or really any kind of sport in his whole life.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmgpY35slc

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jippa posted:

Grenade fuses can be finicky. One of the reasons you're usually warned against cooking grenades like in video games is because they aren't necessarily going to be precisely 5 seconds on the dot every time. You could end up with a full second of variance depending on the quality control of that batch, or if you've got old stock. I wouldn't put much stock in attempts to make a precise explosion on impact.

This is also why you really don't want to try and pick up grenades to throw them back. Unless you have a bucket or trench of water to quickly drop the grenade into (a good foxhole will have a water-filled trench to shove a grenade into if it lands inside) and you're not willing to dive on it to save your buddies, the best solution to seeing a grenade is to run and dive for cover.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This is somewhat schadenfreude https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/status/838782634692128773

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jose posted:

Theres the bit in band of brothers where the guy throws a grenade like a baseball and kills someone running away. The soldier was a college baseball player though

It's a true story. Buck Compton, UCLA catcher and football player, bounced a grenade off a guy's helmet while the other dude was sprinting away the day after D-Day.

Jippa posted:

Only if you hold down the G key for a bit beforehand

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hagrid, no!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

canyoneer posted:

It's a true story. Buck Compton, UCLA catcher and football player, bounced a grenade off a guy's helmet while the other dude was sprinting away the day after D-Day.

Only if you hold down the G key for a bit beforehand

If you rebind G to also pay respects you can both kill someone and pay respect for their life ending.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

My in game name is XxX Captain Winters 506PIR XxX

AMA

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Proof of Intelligent Design imo

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wylie posted:

People forget that Ford won exactly 0 presidential elections. He never even ran as VP, he was appointed to Spiro Agnew's spot when he got run out.

To be fair, he pretty much shot his horse out from under himself the moment he gave Nixon a blanket pardon.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

You could cast a solid uranium pineapple grenade and it still wouldn’t weight five pounds.

What about one of those Acme/"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" ones with the long fizzing fuses?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sloober posted:

If you rebind G to also pay respects you can both kill someone and pay respect for their life ending.

Paying respects is a context sensitive event, and won't trigger just because you pushed the key, noob. What you want to do is bind crouch and grenade to the same key, so you're long-distance tea-bagging when you kill them.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My girlfriend and I went down a rabbit hole of autotune remixes the other night, and she had never seen these before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkITGdc_LY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeb5LdAyLC8

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Awww, cheer up, pal!
When i'm feeling down, i treat myself to a nice hotdog from Portillos. Picks my spirits right back up again!

Is the schadenfreude here the fact that you don't get a beef?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Is the schadenfreude here the fact that you don't get a beef?
That's too horrible to get any enjoyment out of it it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EVR7yNsVBg

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Platystemon posted:

It’s not like grenades were never thrown overhand:

Reminds me of how the Germans were aghast over the Americans usage of trench shotguns. They're simply not being gentlemen during war. Have a humorous video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0D6p3w2qgY

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mng posted:

Reminds me of how the Germans were aghast over the Americans usage of trench shotguns. They're simply not being gentlemen during war. Have a humorous video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0D6p3w2qgY

"As a German, i respectfully disagree..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mng posted:

Reminds me of how the Germans were aghast over the Americans usage of trench shotguns.

Arms and the Man, 12 October 1918 posted:

It is distinctly to the credit of the United States Government that Germany’s representations seeking to eliminate the use of the military shotgun and her threats of reprisals have been met by a prompt and complete refusal to accede to the Hun’s demand.

Secretary Lansing’s reply to the German note will leave no opportunity for even the oblique methods employed by Teutonic reasoning to misunderstand or to remain longer in ignorance of the fact that America will abandon no justifiable implement of war in the work of conquering the Hun.

Germany is also rapidly learning that American manhood, plus American marksmanship, plus American weapons, is a combination which spells for the Kaiser’s armies complete defeat. Her efforts to take refuge behind the provisions of the Hague convention, which she has so brutally and consistently violated, is one of the strongest bits of evidence that the reports of allied successes from the Western Front are not unfounded propaganda, and that the tactics which are now being employed can be counted upon to ultimately bring the Hun to his knees.

There is a grain of grim humor in the fact that Germany’s protest against the use of the military shotgun should be based upon the Hague provision which especially forbids any belligerent “to employ arms, projections or materials calculated to cause unnecessary suffering.” There is little likelihood of suffering on the part of any of the Kaiser’s baby‐killers after he has stopped a charge from one of the trench shotguns. The chief suffering occasioned by the new American weapon would seem to be mental anguish on the part of the German military leaders, who know with what wholesome fear the German soldier regards the sawed‐off scattergun. As for the soldier himself, the shotgun puts him as far beyond all suffering as would his own poison vapors, his liquid fire, the death traps which he leaves in abandoned dugouts, and any one of the other core of his last‐ditch methods which he is employing to the limit in his extremity in a vain hope that they will react upon the morale of the Allies.

There is also more than a grain of comfort in the knowledge that hypocritical protestations are not turning the Government of the United States from methods which are not only highly effective in reducing the man‐power of the Kaiser, but also in putting the fear of God into those who for the moment escape. And there is considerably more gratification in the knowledge that if Germany holds out for another year, her depleted divisions will be called upon to face even more terrible lethal weapons than any which have heretofore been employed in warfare, each of which will be mainly the product of American genius and within the limits of weapons which may be employed by civilized nations in conflict with Kultur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧