Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

etalian posted:

The is realistic since future Baltimore also still sucks

On the other hand, it is well known that the more Baltimore sucks, the more amazing the television dramas about Baltimore become. Future The Wire must be incredible.

E: avasarala for Baltimore mayor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Quorum posted:

On the other hand, it is well known that the more Baltimore sucks, the more amazing the television dramas about Baltimore become. Future The Wire must be incredible.

E: avasarala for Baltimore mayor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kK7uNdCpE

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

When the Martian Navy ship went behind Ganymede's shadow, I thought Bobbie was going to first-strike the UN soldiers or at least goad them into attacking her squad. The way things turned out was definitely unexpected.

It wasn't fully clear who was attacking who in orbit though, even though the effects were cool.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I wish they followed the books but I can see why they're gonna do what they're gonna do and add drama between Thorsson and Bobbie.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Is there a preview for Wednesday's episode?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Is there a preview for Wednesday's episode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfn3s27o0JI

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Yes. Dawes is back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was looking up expanse cast and characters since I'm bad with names and found out that lady who's always with Johnson is "Col. Johnson's Second in Command". Does she even have a name??

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I was looking up expanse cast and characters since I'm bad with names and found out that lady who's always with Johnson is "Col. Johnson's Second in Command". Does she even have a name??

Yeah, Drummer. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on the show, but it's still weird that IMDB doesn't list it.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Drummer_(TV)

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I've been calling her Sexy McWeirdaccent

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

:siren: zomg bookspoilers! :siren:

But yeah, it's Drummer.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I think it's good that they're apparently combining Sam and Drummer since it doesn't really make sense to have two different characters for that. Would make the later stuff weird if they get shot on the Behemoth though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

future ghost posted:

I think it's good that they're apparently combining Sam and Drummer since it doesn't really make sense to have two different characters for that. Would make the later stuff weird if they get shot on the Behemoth though.

I'm not sure they are. The former appeared briefly in season one, but maybe they've changed course.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm like 1/3 through book 2 and it is good

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Apoffys posted:

Yeah, Drummer. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on the show, but it's still weird that IMDB doesn't list it.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Drummer_(TV)

Yeah Cara Gee confirmed on twitter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

future ghost posted:

Book Sam was Naomi's BFF but show Drummer is filling that roll.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowman Crossing posted:

I've been calling her Sexy McWeirdaccent

She certainly has a weird accent. She seems super military and official for OPA too.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Drummer is the best character

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Baronjutter posted:

She certainly has a weird accent. She seems super military and official for OPA too.

I thought she was hearing impaired when I first heard it, but I don't think that's actually the case. Plus they probably would have cured that by future times.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Handball seems like a strange sport for belters to play. No two courts would play the same.

Do you think it’s an everyman game or more like space golf?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I love Drummer's space accent. It makes me think of Cantonese-accented English.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I miss Miller's cop friend.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I thought she was hearing impaired when I first heard it, but I don't think that's actually the case. Plus they probably would have cured that by future times.

That's what I thought too. She sounds like a belter doing a deaf chinese person impression.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Baronjutter posted:

She seems super military and official for OPA too.
Cara Gee's portrayal is about dead-on with how Drummer's described in the books. Holden remarks on her unnerving professionalism at least in Nemesis Games, and for awhile Fred isn't sure whether he can trust her.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Platystemon posted:

Handball seems like a strange sport for belters to play. No two courts would play the same.

Do you think it’s an everyman game or more like space golf?

In the books they play a game that's loosely described to be some kind of team based low gee bocce/curling game that's all about controlling thrown balls in a small space, emphasizing how understanding the nature of gravity in space is as natural to Belters as breathing. It's pretty explicitly a game by Belters for Belters.

I imagine the differences in gravity strength and spin influences in different locales are seen as a part of the challenge of the game.

Using handball as the Belter game in the show I think is to (save budget) and emphasize the influence of mass poverty on Belter culture, all you need to play is a ball and some clear space on a ship or in a loading dock, not a bar or arena with a special court set up.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

enraged_camel posted:

I miss Miller's cop friend.

The lady or the Earther dude partner?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

inyalowdas itt :rolleyes:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Plus they probably would have cured that by future times.

If this show has taught us anything it's that they likely will not have cured (fill in blank).

Or, well. There's probably a cure but belters can't afford it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People around the net were referring to her as asian or chinese, maybe I'm bad with faces but she never registered as asian to me. She's actually Canadian first-nations, I always forget the show is filmed in Toronto, which isn't surprising since that's like where 90% of scifi is filmed.

Speaking of Canadians who talk wierd, I'm still never quite sold on Alex's accent. It sounds very much like the voice Canadians do when they're making fun of americans or trying to do a generic "country" or "southern" accent.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The lady or the Earther dude partner?

the lady

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of Canadians who talk wierd, I'm still never quite sold on Alex's accent. It sounds very much like the voice Canadians do when they're making fun of americans or trying to do a generic "country" or "southern" accent.

That's perfect, he's from a subculture of Texans, South Asians, and Chinese who affected a Texan drawl. Add at least 150 years of accent drift and he's fine.

I don't see a reason to see her again. She's not in the books at all and the Earther dude has a different arc, so I dunno if the producers will agree, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I don't see a reason to see her again.

I do.

:swoon:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Inspired by Miller's death to get off Ceres, she seeks revenge for Amos killing their mutual acquaintance on Eros. By screwing him to death.

I'd watch that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Prax, when the mirror fell

Wendell, his arms wide

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That's perfect, he's from a subculture of Texans, South Asians, and Chinese who affected a Texan drawl. Add at least 150 years of accent drift and he's fine.

If i remember the books correctly the Texan accent is actually something of an affectation even for Martians.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Collateral posted:

Yes. Dawes is back.

best Belter accent in the whole show.

Loved the season 1 scene in which he dunks on Miller at the bar

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DONKEY BALLS alone sells the Alec accent.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I don't see a reason to see her again. She's not in the books at all

She sort of is, barely. She's paired with Miller towards the end of his time on Ceres. The similarities with her show version don't extend much past name and occupation, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought his character got killed and I was sad I'd never see him again, this is great. Jared Harris is one of my favourite character actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The actor who plays Dawes is loving perfect, and I'm so happy they're using him more in the show than in the books.

One of my favorite little details that's not explicitly spelled out about Dawes and the Belters are the scars from the old vacuum suits on his collarbone he shows Miller when he's interrogating him, and how all the Belter collarbone tattoos (like the one Diogo got in this season) are emulating those scars that the old school OPA guys had from working with lovely equipment.

• Locked thread