Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I've decided to sign up as a non-command staff officer. I don't know if I have the time to command, but I do want to take part.

ViggyNash on Roll20

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you intend to play for the Germans, and you are still reading, then you are a horrible cheaty cheat and none of us want anything to do with you.

ORDERS

From: Lieutenant-General Sir James Moncrieff Grierson, KCB, CMG, CVO, ADC(P): General Officer Commanding, III Corps, British Expeditionary Force
To: Major-General [TO BE DECIDED], my replacement

My dear fellow,

I am, unfortunately, forced to remain in England. It seems that my health denies me the opportunity to go to France for the big show, and so I will not be taking up my post on doctor's orders. They tell me that if I subject myself to the stresses of active service, I will surely have a heart attack within two weeks. Fortunately, I still retain my influence, and I have at least ensured that command of my corps will not fall in my stead to that useless oaf Pulteney. I am putting my reputation, such as it is, at stake here. Do not let me down.

You are of course aware of the general situation. It is absolutely imperative that we hold Effyaders at all costs. Here is a small version of the map.

I now enclose a direct copy of the orders given to me by Sir John French last week. They set a series of objectives, and they are displayed in ascending order of importance. Therefore, the first-listed objective is very much in the nature of a stretch goal, a "nice to have"; and the final objective must be held, whatever the cost.

1). As a general principle, you must at all times defend as far forward as possible. There will come a time in this war when we will be on the offensive. When that time comes, every yard of ground that we do not have to recapture from the enemy will be of vital importance in conserving the lives of our men and the expenditure of our munitions.

2). If at all possible, you must attempt to prevent the enemy from crossing the river and operating west of La Dand.

3). You should, at the very least, force the enemy to fight if he is to occupy the Chemin Creux and Stethoscope. If we can dig in along the sunken road, we will have an exceptionally strong defensive position that will take significant effort to crack.

4). You must make every opportunity to prevent the enemy from establishing a presence west of the fords at the halfway point of the map and threatening the Bois de Blob and the Foret d'Effyaders.

5). You must prevent the enemy from entering Saucisson Vallee and Trois Freres.

6). Under no circumstances shall the enemy be allowed to cross the canal before Effyaders.

7). You shall fight until the last man is dead and the last round of ammunition is expended in the defence of Effyaders. The King intends to visit the front next month. Succeed in your defence, and you will be presented to His Majesty as a hero of the Empire, on par with Baden-Powell. Fail, and the King will be unable to visit, because there will be no front for His Majesty to visit.

YOUR FORCES

We are hurrying all available men north to your position as quickly as possible. The 3rd Cavalry Division - and some very interesting toys - will be available to you from the outset. (More details to follow.) The first elements of the 7th Infantry Division should be with you in about 36 hours. Further men and guns will be sent to you as soon as possible, as soon as they become available. Your forces may enter from any point in the map which is marked in red. Be aware that this deployment zone may be constricted if the Germans advance.

INTELLIGENCE

No German has yet been seen west of La Dand and we are quite certain that they will be unable to enter the map from west of the river. We believe that a German cavalry brigade is roughly equivalent to one of ours, except that they have more machine guns available to them. As regards infantry, we are concerned at the Germans' numerical superiority in machine guns, and their new short-range mortars, but we are confident that our men are far superior to theirs.

Good luck, old chap. Do me proud out there. Bring me home some of those funny pointy hats they wear.

Yours, etc etc

"Monkey"

(Rules-focused post to follow. Beware of prior knowledge if you happen to own a rulebook!)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ViggyNash posted:

ViggyNash on Roll20

Vighnesh S. you mean. :cheeky:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah whoops. I made the account forever ago, never used it, and forgot what my actual username was.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I observed the first round, but I suppose I'll come into this one for a brigade, what what.

e; roll20 display name is Fuligin F

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
BEF. Looks like we're putting away our red trousers and kepis and putting on khakis and uh, whatever the British hats are called. Maybe we'll get some savage Canadians to command.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Unless there are objections, I would like to take the 3rd Cavalry Division

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Quick Roll20 highlight. My Dad can barely contain himself at the thought of commanding an entire cavalry brigade.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hunt11 posted:

Quick Roll20 highlight. My Dad can barely contain himself at the thought of commanding an entire cavalry brigade.

cavalry division

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
ProfessorCurly in the roll20 chat.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
WE GET ARMORED CARS!!!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Will jump on Roll20 when I get out of work...already wondering if the Germans are getting something fun as well.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Will jump on Roll20 when I get out of work...already wondering if the Germans are getting something fun as well.

Chlorine gas, of course

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren:Corps Commander vote: Who would you nominate for the role/vote for? I will tally up the votes sometime tomorrow.:siren:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to drive those new-fangled motor vehicle things.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Signing up as a staff officer. Roll20 JcDent.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'll put my name up for it, I've done overall command of things in other goon games but not WWI specifically.

Assuming I can't vote for myself, I'll vote for my dad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want to drive those new-fangled motor vehicle things.

Learn to read, VVG. It's about corps commander position now. :cheeky:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm down with Professor Curly, O.B.E. to command our troops.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

:siren:Corps Commander vote: Who would you nominate for the role/vote for? I will tally up the votes sometime tomorrow.:siren:

Voting for Slim Jim for his audacious dawn attack plan in the previous game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Xtenth, clearly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

my dad posted:

Learn to read, VVG. It's about corps commander position now. :cheeky:

Well now I vote Someone Who Isn't my dad for Corps Commander. :cheeky:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Well now I vote Someone Who Isn't my dad for Corps Commander. :cheeky:

You can certainly do so, but you'll have to choose a specific person to vote for.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Loel posted:

Xtenth, clearly

Sadly self ruled out otherwise x would certainly give it to ya

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Loel

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

lenoon posted:

Sadly self ruled out otherwise x would certainly give it to ya

I appreciate the confidence but I am really a lot more confident in a secondary spot where the buck doesn't stop.

Any of the following:
My Dad
ThatBastardKen
Bacarruda
Loel
Slim Jim

All of them have proven a good grasp of operational level concerns, if I had to pick I'd likely say Slim Jim or My Dad now that he's not Mon Pere (France's bravest son).

I'd prefer to go with someone proven for the Corps and Cav Division. Getting things right from the start is going to be key for those jobs.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

HELLO I'm here for the job (any level of command anywhere)

I'll be on the roll20 in a bit, it's 7:45AM here urgh :argh:

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 6, 2017

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
my dad: he put his life on the line for us! :cheeky:

Also, I am ready for either a divisional or brigade level command.

Sixkiller fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 6, 2017

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
I'll sign up again either as a brigade commander or staff officer. This time I'll be more active, work and travel got in the got in the way last game.

I vote Slim Jim for Corps commander

Edit: I vote for My Dad

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 6, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
edit: My bad, that was a misunderstanding.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 6, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ViggyNash posted:

my dad has already said he doesn't want to be corps commander again, so I would strike him from the list.

I'm sorry, what? Where did I say so?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Voting for MY DAD as he was a good dad.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My vote goes to LOEL, since Xthetenth refuses the position.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I, like noted war hero xthetenth, am ruling myself out of corps command. I have a pretty bad schedule this month and I wont be able to put in the time for it. I'll satisfy myself by barging into the planning room and rattling off a list of objections intermittently.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
In the roll20 as Grassy Gnoll.

As I have no idea what I'm doing, I abstain from voting for the command structure, and also I should probably not be trusted with anything sharper than a pillow, which as I understand it makes me excellent officer material.

In all seriousness, I'm happy to take whatever's left so that someone more knowledgeable can contribute in what will be more decisive ways.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I, like noted war hero xthetenth, am ruling myself out of corps command. I have a pretty bad schedule this month and I wont be able to put in the time for it. I'll satisfy myself by barging into the planning room and rattling off a list of objections intermittently.

Oh well, in that case I will follow my dad's vote for LOEL, barring an xthetenth candidacy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Will you be able to reprise your role as our logistician and bad idea caller outer? Because frankly that was the one concern I had about you as corps commander, that you wouldn't be able to do that.

My preference is my dad or loel for the top gig then.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ill take it if xtenth and mydad can be my cav commanders :D

Trin Tragula posted:

I now enclose a direct copy of the orders given to me by Sir John French last week. They set a series of objectives, and they are displayed in ascending order of importance. Therefore, the first-listed objective is very much in the nature of a stretch goal, a "nice to have"; and the final objective must be held, whatever the cost.

1). As a general principle, you must at all times defend as far forward as possible. There will come a time in this war when we will be on the offensive. When that time comes, every yard of ground that we do not have to recapture from the enemy will be of vital importance in conserving the lives of our men and the expenditure of our munitions.

2). If at all possible, you must attempt to prevent the enemy from crossing the river and operating west of La Dand.

3). You should, at the very least, force the enemy to fight if he is to occupy the Chemin Creux and Stethoscope. If we can dig in along the sunken road, we will have an exceptionally strong defensive position that will take significant effort to crack.

4). You must make every opportunity to prevent the enemy from establishing a presence west of the fords at the halfway point of the map and threatening the Bois de Blob and the Foret d'Effyaders.

5). You must prevent the enemy from entering Saucisson Vallee and Trois Freres.

6). Under no circumstances shall the enemy be allowed to cross the canal before Effyaders.

7). You shall fight until the last man is dead and the last round of ammunition is expended in the defence of Effyaders. The King intends to visit the front next month. Succeed in your defence, and you will be presented to His Majesty as a hero of the Empire, on par with Baden-Powell. Fail, and the King will be unable to visit, because there will be no front for His Majesty to visit.

Heres what we got:

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 6, 2017

Hephasto
Oct 11, 2007
I agree, I agree, it's all about that skreee.
I'll stick around as a staff officer this time unless a post needs filling by the end.

*Edit* also voting for my dad as corps commander.

Hephasto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ready to lead yet another brigade of pixelmans to death or glory.

Edit: another vote for my dad

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread