Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

IMO it has to be because Wii Sports was a huge success and it wasn't a pack in in some countries (like Japan) that they probably got greedy and thought they can catch lightning in a bottle again. Even though they literally hosed this up when they launched the Wii U and Nintendoland wasn't a pack in either.

By all accounts the Nintendo Switch launch was very successful. It has one of the highest rated games of all time in a very successful well-known series as a launch title, it doesn't really need a pack-in. Word of mouth and buzz about the Switch is pretty overwhelmingly positive at the moment despite a few glaring hardware issues. Seems like they knew what they were doing.

What does kinda boggle my mind though is the lack of a built-in 1-2 Switch demo at the very least, with like 3 of the mini games or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RoboFrance_29 posted:

Probably as long as it's 5V, but as others have mentioned it won't charge as fast depending on the Output Amps.

That's fine, I don't really see myself playing long enough I need to charge while playing. As long as I can plug it in while I sleep I'm good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zelda sales and Switch sales have to be drat near 1:1 right?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. I've seen a few places with Switch copies of Zelda but no consoles, but I imagine there are more of the games printed than consoles so far.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ZhugeEX on twitter said it something 78 or 83%. I don't know where he got his numbers but he's trustworthy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

It is ridiculous how good Zelda is

ya

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. I've seen a few places with Switch copies of Zelda but no consoles, but I imagine there are more of the games printed than consoles so far.

The retail guy I got my pro controller from said half the people bought Zelda, the other half bought no games (so presumably bout it digital) $320 for snipperclips?

parallelodad posted:

ZhugeEX on twitter said it something 78 or 83%. I don't know where he got his numbers but he's trustworthy.

Does that count physical and digital?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bombadilillo posted:

Probably not. Anytime I ask him something on Twitter I am always afraid nitpicking for further details comes off as console warrioring.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bombadilillo posted:

The stores I went to both had a wall full of copies of 1-2 Switch and nothing else.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

The retail guy I got my pro controller from said half the people bought Zelda, the other half bought no games (so presumably bout it digital) $320 for snipperclips?

Guy I know who works at a big retailer that said 50% of the people in line on launch day were very obvious flippers/scalpers. I'm sure there will be a massive glut of these things on the shelf exactly 15 or 30 days from the launch date.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Those dudes are selling it on ebay.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Infinitum posted:

It is ridiculous how good Zelda is

It really has exceeded my expectations on every level. I've played a lot of open world games, but none of them are this compelling to explore. I think a lot of it does come down to how fragile your equipment is? In a game like Far Cry or Watch_Dogs/Assassin's Creed where your gear is 100% reliable, the stuff you find as open world breadcrumbs is kind of uninteresting- it's just money to spend on bullets, or materials for an inventory boost. And like, it's kind of the same case in Zelda? Except that you need all that stuff to keep yourself armed and supplied with healing items, so it feels more exciting to find it. I find myself compelled to get to the high ground because: there's usually a korok seed or something up there, and also you need those lines of sight to see things on the map.

Making shrines remain hidden on the map even after activating the tower was a genius move, because it forces you to continue actively observing the landscape.

Also, I've done like 30 shrines or something and there haven't been any duds. All those puzzles are, at minimum, mildly interesting.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Now that I have played it for a few days, I can confirm the Switch is excellent.

As a handheld it is unmatched. I am truly surprised at just how comfortable it is and how good it looks. I look forward to all manner of funky joycon addons and games. Plus, if it truly is similar to the 3DS, then homebrew emulators would be so very sweet.

Docked mode is ok. The UI is a bit fluffy with the upscaling and playing the games on the TV is nice, but I just want to return to handheld mode all the time. I didn't realise I'd enjoy it in that mode as much as I do.

I am very excited to see where Nintendo goes!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish there was a way to make the theme different in different modes. I want black theme when playing handheld and white theme on my TV.

Though I'd also like to automatically make it black theme past 10pm.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Saturday I ran in to Target to grab something and decided to detour over to the electronics section to see what the Switch display looked like. Now, my wife had been in there Friday morning and she said there were a shitton of Switches AND BotW Special Editions. So I was expecting a decent display and it was like a freaking deserted ghost town. The accessory rack was essentially empty save a few car chargers, screen protectors, and some random Wii U accessories thrown in for good measure. I was kind of surprised. It doesn't help that the Switch display (gondola, if you will) is TINY since it was just the Wii U display repurposed and I don't blame Target for dedicated the least amount of retail floor space to it as possible. Methinks they may need to do some rearranging in the near future though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

VideoGames posted:

Now that I have played it for a few days, I can confirm the Switch is excellent.

As a handheld it is unmatched. I am truly surprised at just how comfortable it is and how good it looks. I look forward to all manner of funky joycon addons and games. Plus, if it truly is similar to the 3DS, then homebrew emulators would be so very sweet.

Docked mode is ok. The UI is a bit fluffy with the upscaling and playing the games on the TV is nice, but I just want to return to handheld mode all the time. I didn't realise I'd enjoy it in that mode as much as I do.

I am very excited to see where Nintendo goes!

I agree but switch (ha) our opinions of docked and handheld mode

I just like the pro controller way too much

Also. Zelda is like, unfathomably good. Really exceeded all of my expectations, to the point where I was actively thinking that it excused the mediocrity of Skyward Sword

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
left joycon has an integrated antenna next to a big chunk of metal. this guy soldered a small piece of wire to extend it and voila, no more problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMnke6lF0c

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Cripes these things are selling for $430 shipped on ebay? I should have been an rear end in a top hat and bought three of them.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

calusari posted:

left joycon has an integrated antenna next to a big chunk of metal. this guy soldered a small piece of wire to extend it and voila, no more problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMnke6lF0c

I can't wait for Joy-Con range extender sleeves.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my expected use-case #1 happened Friday night as I had to poop while playing Zelda. My expected use case #2 should be tonight as I will be playing on the TV but at 8 oclock my wife will want to watch the Bachelor and I'll just pop that baby out of the dock and keep right on playing. I might try table top mode + Pro Controller since I haven't actually tried that yet. But for a game like Zelda I think you need to have that small of a screen kind of close to your face so we'll see.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Zelda is like, unfathomably good. Really exceeded all of my expectations, to the point where I was actively thinking that it excused the mediocrity of Skyward Sword
It's so good it makes up for Twilight Princess too. It's a loving revelation. I played about 15-17 hours this weekend and they flew by like nothing. I'm almost literally going to live inside Hyrule for the next week or two.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mahoning posted:

So my expected use-case #1 happened Friday night as I had to poop while playing Zelda. My expected use case #2 should be tonight as I will be playing on the TV but at 8 oclock my wife will want to watch the Bachelor and I'll just pop that baby out of the dock and keep right on playing. I might try table top mode + Pro Controller since I haven't actually tried that yet. But for a game like Zelda I think you need to have that small of a screen kind of close to your face so we'll see.

Countdown to a goon arms race to see who can play Switch in weirder and more places/ways.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

It's so good it makes up for Twilight Princess too. It's a loving revelation. I played about 15-17 hours this weekend and they flew by like nothing. I'm almost literally going to live inside Hyrule for the next week or two.

Yeah, I feel like I've done nothing in the game, Only glimpsed maybe 1/5 of the areas, and some of those is literally only glimpsing and getting distracted from where Im going by shrines in the distance.

I got the remake of twilight Princess and it was so bad and boring I couldn't believe it. This This is videogames again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

acksplode posted:

I honestly can't think of a single criticism of the recent home console Zelda's that wasn't addressed in Breath of the Wild. The hand holding, the (lack of) difficulty, the paint by numbers formula (dungeons, items, etc.), the restricted world, it has all been addressed to a huge degree.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My day after Switch review:

No joycon desync
No wifi problems
Hate how short the power cable and HDMI cable are
Portable mode probably my least favorite way to play, even playing Zelda with the joy cons in the grip is better
Pro Controller is best

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I feel like I should check out Zelda in portable mode, but I just really haven't had a reason to. I don't have enough time during my lunch break at work for a satisfying play session of pretty much anything, and my girlfriend is busting her rear end studying for midterms instead of watching TV or playing Splatoon :v:

Joycon battery life is brilliant, though. I played for 6 hours or more yesterday (:goonsay:) and they still have like 3/4 power or something.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I honestly can't think of a single criticism of the recent home console Zelda's that wasn't addressed in Breath of the Wild. The hand holding, the (lack of) difficulty, the paint by numbers formula (dungeons, items, etc.), the restricted world, it has all been addressed to a huge degree.

I get overwhelmed so easily. I see a Village and there are too many people to talk to a few have little side quests I see a shrine and wander off over 5 mountains.

There was a youtube, probably Gamemakers Toolkit. Where he talks about Witcher 3 and someone gives you a quest and says its around the lake and up a path to the little pond and he thinks "Cool I get to go explore and...oh theres a quest icon on my map." While its not perfect BotW IS the game he thought he was about to get in that moment. There are vague directions and hints of things and reading map names and exploring and its SO. drat. GOOD. Even the marked on the map main story line parts that I have done turn into a lot more then just walk to the dot before you get there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Anyone not like zelda

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Playing it handheld is so good I haven't bothered to set up the dock yet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Milkman posted:

:same:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Milkman posted:

I know some people complained the colors look better on switch then their TV, but they have bad TV's or bad TV setup skills. Because While it looks great on Switch, It looks AMAZING on my TV. Goons need to learn to calibrate.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cheapest case option ATM.
https://www.amazon.com/Orzly-Carry-...ndo+switch+case

Will be trying this out once it's delivered and report back with status/quality/hatred/love.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Cripes these things are selling for $430 shipped on ebay? I should have been an rear end in a top hat and bought three of them.

Meh unless you bought a bunch, $100 profit per unit isn't really all that hot. Not exactly rags to riches for that kind of hassle

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Bombadilillo posted:

For comparison, Twilight Princess sold 412K copies to 476K Wii systems sold during November 2006 North American launch of the system. Wii Sports was stronger in Japan where it was not bundled with every system.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Meh unless you bought a bunch, $100 profit per unit isn't really all that hot. Not exactly rags to riches for that kind of hassle
Plus sales taxes in most places is going to turn that into like $70 then shipping probably is gonna bite into your rear end and LOL scalpers get hosed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're wondering about chargers and what to look for with the switch:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Those are higher end sales. I see others sub $400 and if you include tax that means they're at $80 profit before eBay fees and whatever shipping they use.

E:I found one right now with 15 minutes left that is at $335.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 6, 2017

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ebay + Paypal take 15% right off the top plus your cost of shipping. I doubt most people are making more than $30-40.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bombadilillo posted:

I know some people complained the colors look better on switch then their TV, but they have bad TV's or bad TV setup skills. Because While it looks great on Switch, It looks AMAZING on my TV. Goons need to learn to calibrate.

please teach me because the colors are blown out for Zelda but Horizon looks incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Vikar Jerome posted:

screenshots:

the main dir:

the save folder:

the album folder, screenshots obviously.:

the contents folder is just full of poo poo like this:

this is what the switch is telling me:

i think that 216mb is the update data, there is nothing stored on the system memory by the looks of it. i checked yesterday and have saved more since then but both file sizes for the two files in the save data are the same. originally i thought one was my save and the first file was my brothers due the size diff. but now im wondering if that's actually the update data but then again that doesn't make sense since that would mean the top file is the sniperclips demo and the size that windows is claiming on my sd is too small for what the switch is telling me. then again, isnt 20,848 wrong for 216mb? i dont know how you work this poo poo out, someone do it for me. :|

i mean the quickest and easiest way to test this would be to just boot up zelda without my sd card in, but i'm paranoid it would default back to system memory and ignore my current progress and i just found a sweet sword.

I wonder if the Switch will store save files on the mem card/external if the game is installed on the mem card. And only on the system memory when installed on the system mem. When you install a game, does it give you a choice of where you want it to be installed? Thinking the work around then would be to install all your games on the mem card and the saves would go with it. Do you have anything at all in system memory when you look aside from the OS which isn't shown?

• Locked thread