Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the Greatest Team?
Oorai
Pravda
St. Gloriana
Saunders
Anzio
Chi-Ha-Tan
Kuromorimine
Selection
Maginot
Jatkosota
View Results

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I haven't played it, but I heard it's supposed to be really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Since Civ 6 only lets you name units if they've stuck around a while, I didn't want it's dumb random reccomended names.

So I've names my first two tanks that are nameable Anglerfish Team and Hippo Team.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I saw the dub of Der Film in a theater earlier today. (I hadn't seen any version of it before.)

The movie was really good! I was not prepared for how great Chi-Ha-Tan and Continuation were.

The people in the theater started cheering when Anchovy's gang showed up and when the Karl was defeated, which was pretty cute.

The dub was ok, though some characters sounded too old, Miho and Yuzu in particular. I had trouble hearing what people were saying occasionally, between the radio transmission distortion and loud sound effects and whatnot, but I don't think I missed anything important. No idea if that was a problem introduced in the dub or if it was like that in Japanese too.

Dumb complaints: Miho doesn't even try to pronounce "panzer vor" German-ish-ly and Katyusha yells something about Clara speaking English at the end. You're all speaking Japanese, drat it! :argh:

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Delicious sandwich posted:

I saw the dub of Der Film in a theater earlier today. (I hadn't seen any version of it before.)

The movie was really good! I was not prepared for how great Chi-Ha-Tan and Continuation were.

The people in the theater started cheering when Anchovy's gang showed up and when the Karl was defeated, which was pretty cute.

The dub was ok, though some characters sounded too old, Miho and Yuzu in particular. I had trouble hearing what people were saying occasionally, between the radio transmission distortion and loud sound effects and whatnot, but I don't think I missed anything important. No idea if that was a problem introduced in the dub or if it was like that in Japanese too.

Dumb complaints: Miho doesn't even try to pronounce "panzer vor" German-ish-ly and Katyusha yells something about Clara speaking English at the end. You're all speaking Japanese, drat it! :argh:

Watch the sub instead.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The sub wasn't aired in theaters nationwide this past weekend though D:

Mako sounded like a lung cancer survivor rather than just sleepy. Half of the dub was awful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah gently caress i just realized that finland team are supposed to be moomin characters. Mika = Snufkin, Aki = Moomintroll, Mikko = Little My

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
According to Ribbon Warrior chapter 13, St. Gloriana used to go around colonizing other people's schools? That makes sense, actually.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

According to Ribbon Warrior chapter 13, St. Gloriana used to go around colonizing other people's schools? That makes sense, actually.

I'd like to see Gloriana and its "satellite teams" in a tank battle against Sanders or somebody

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
here's a story going around right now

http://www.otakutale.com/2017/bbc-interviews-girls-und-panzers-character-designer-fiction-like-this-should-be-banned/

i have no interest in GUP but my impression was that it was just harmless cute girls doing tank things?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Relin posted:

http://www.otakutale.com/2017/bbc-interviews-girls-und-panzers-character-designer-fiction-like-this-should-be-banned/

i have no interest in GUP but my impression was that it was just harmless cute girls doing tank things?

It is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Relin posted:

Cute girls playing high-stakes world of tanks, yes. I've seen sexier Christian football movies.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The controversy depends on which side of the weeaboo spectrum you reside.

The "look, Japan has some cultural mores that don't look on what is to us really distasteful if not creepy views, but it's cultural differences, and understanding cultural differences is part of the experience of anime" end or the "GET OUT 3DPD" spectrum would have varying means of going about it

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea out of all the shows they could pick to complain about, GuP is literally one of the worst they could use as ammo.

*no Pun intended.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:psyduck:

If that moron saw an actually awful show would their head spin around and then explode like it was hit by an 88mm round?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Relin posted:

Yes, and GuP actually goes out of its way to avoid easy fanservice like panty shots and poo poo. It's about as sexualized as the Mighty Ducks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It looks like a really bizzare and lovely documentary, really. It's a subject worth taking an academic look at, but an academic look at Japanese views on teen or child sexuality probably doesn't cite shows like GuP or Yuyushiki (another example in that doc, apparently) as anything more than a footnote, if that.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The title of GuP makes it an easy target for sensationalist crap like this, and most people won't and will never watch it anyway.

There was a new strike witches recently and that would be a much better show to get righteously indignant over.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hah! Wasn't the GuP anime production thrown into chaos early on because the mangaka thought the initial character designs were too sexualized and demanded they be redone? (Among all the other delays, of course.)

What did this Dooley person hate about GuP anyway? Skirts too short? Girls too cute? The (tastefully done, I thought) bukkake scenes in Ep. 7? What?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the vile british pedophiles seek distraction from their own crimes and attack foreign feminist works for not adhering to the standards set by their criminal imperialist and racist country

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea out of all the shows they could pick to complain about, GuP is literally one of the worst they could use as ammo.

*no Pun intended.

Something like Mushishi would seem to be even less apt, but yeah GuP is not exactly Skinimax material.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MJP posted:

The controversy depends on which side of the weeaboo spectrum you reside.

The "look, Japan has some cultural mores that don't look on what is to us really distasteful if not creepy views, but it's cultural differences, and understanding cultural differences is part of the experience of anime" end or the "GET OUT 3DPD" spectrum would have varying means of going about it

otaku stuff isn't really a barometer for japanese culture as a whole

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bear in mind that we're only hearing one side of the story here. One side of the story that is particularly appealing to a certain kind of Internet nerd, who are already harassing the journalist in question.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Motto posted:

otaku stuff isn't really a barometer for japanese culture as a whole

Certainly some anime might be better barometers for Japanese culture as a whole insofar as what's considered acceptable nudity for normal broadcast media (if I'm not mistaken, nudity of children of a certain age is generally not looked down upon as it is in the West) and what's considered acceptable levels of sexualization and the boundaries of crass humour. If anything GuP would be an example of Japanese interest in militarization and KanColle would be a better example in that case. Yuyushiki otoh, would be a better barometer of the depictions of same-sex couples and the boundaries of platonic relationships in Japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah to some degrees and extents you can glean stuff, just remember that most everything we talk about isn't really "normal broadcast media". Non-family or children's anime typically airs at insane hours and markets to a very small audience. So when we're talking about "nudity of children", in the mainstream that means, like, shin-chan or dragonball-level.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

True but that article really does feel like it was a combo SJW/Feminist just out to wreck havoc on any topic they could find as a potential easy target, and unfortunately for them, they picked the one show that has only Female characters and Tanks and really not much else in the way of pedophilia that they could have tried to tackle. Strike Witches would have been a ton easier to make a more valid story against obviously. Though I do get a chuckle also at anyone in the UK trying to point a finger at issues in Japan of all places. They do have a ton of weird crap, but as far as major social issues, I just don't see them ranking near as high on the shitshow scale. (Based off personal observation, correct me if I am completely missing something here).

Speck in their eye vs Log in your own sort of deal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Regardless of the merits of having the discussion in first place, the british person sounds like a complete tool.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Glad the paedophiles at the BBC made some time in their busy schedule of bribing child rape victims and hiding pedos in their ranks to have a cry at those nasty orientals.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Though I do get a chuckle also at anyone in the UK trying to point a finger at issues in Japan of all places. They do have a ton of weird crap, but as far as major social issues, I just don't see them ranking near as high on the shitshow scale. (Based off personal observation, correct me if I am completely missing something here).

I wouldn't agree with you at all there. To the best of my knowledge Japan would rank worse than the UK in many categories if you're comparing "major social issues". Stuff like racism, homophobia, etc. tends to be worse over there, I think, they have worse working conditions, they're far more insular, they have some major problems with how mental health is treated, and suicide rates are ridiculous. There's stuff the UK and Japan is probably about the same on for now, like healthcare, and plenty the UK falls behind on, such as wages or GDP. It's more of a toss-up, really, and to say one country is way better/way more of a shitshow than the other is a bit odd.

This is all just off the top of my head mind, and I don't know a huge amount about Japan, so someone can feel free to come and tell me I'm wrong.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Unirregardless of the BBC documentary I would like to add that every englishman and -woman needs to be hanged for the plethora of crimes their country committed upon the world.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

K. Flaps posted:

Unirregardless of the BBC documentary I would like to add that every englishman and -woman needs to be hanged for the plethora of crimes their country committed upon the world.

As an english, this

The documentary seems to lean a little too far on the side of 'think of the children!!!!' type stuff you hear about violence in video games, but the character designer's reply of 'yeah well what about YOUR country's problems' is not exactly Frost/Nixon material either. I think there's something to be discussed about how media reflects standards as opposed to affects it and that documentary did gently caress all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:yikes:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I watched the actual documentary on the BBC website (:nms:courtesy link:nms:), and (a) the reporter dug up pretty wall-to-wall horrific poo poo that's indefensible even if she engaged in selective editing and accentuating the negative (which she may have done, but I don't want to rush to any judgments), and (b) Nogami never shows up in it, and neither does Girls und Panzer, so how the interview actually went down will likely remain a mystery.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

From what I can tell she interviewed the designer and they argued about the merits of anime children, and no reference was made to banning gup at all.

She's saying that fiction depicting sexualized anime children should be banned, he feels there's more important issues, nobody mentions banning gup except the headline of that article, presumably for clicks.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she cut out the 3 hour interview with him you idiots

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

she cut out the 3 hour interview with him you idiots

We will never truly know if she hates girls and tanks

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
gently caress off you wankers. I came in here expecting movie news

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Don't treat that 'documentary' as anything more than tabloid-level scandal mongering.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's hilarious how he describes her as a Black Lagoon hitman though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

K. Flaps posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
"Turning up without being invited" is pretty much how the British operated hundreds of years ago. :v: