Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

hope you're being sarcastic, cause i really cant tell

I'm guessing he's not. The ME 2 loyalty missions get lauded by most as some of the best stuff Bioware's done to date.

If you don't like them, that's cool, but you're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

god dammit, we still have "loyalty missions"?

What's wrong with Loyalty Missions? They were a good way to get to know a specific character, build on their relationship with Shepard, and sometimes introduced new gameplay mechanics to differentiate them from other mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You could just think about them as personal missions and they're interesting because they typically reveal something new about specific characters, rather than walking into some random prefab warehouse to shoot badguys like every other sidequest in ME2.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
God drat we still have [best thing in ME series that everyone loved] ??? WHY??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Burkion posted:

You know I don't think that would solve anything

Beyond Cerberus needing to make another new Shepherd anyways

Shepard just needs a stronger condom for morinth

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Shepard just needs a stronger condom for morinth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YFC0O393DQ

What are the loyalty missions going to be for this time around, though?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only bad thing in ME2 was having to super manage what missions you did when and where because otherwise people died and I don't do no sloppy runs damnit.

Straight shooting all the way to the womb

I really hope there isn't some weird doomsday clock ticking down in MEA and you can just go at your own pace to explore poo poo and do missions.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They've said the missions will dive into the reason each of the companions decided to join the Andromeda Initiative, except Jaal I guess since he lives in Andromeda.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Zzulu posted:

God drat we still have [best thing in ME series that everyone loved] ??? WHY??

The Mako and guns that cool down are back?? LORD, WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?!?

Wait, have we heard anything about the Ryder twins' dancing abilities? This could be a total poo poo show after all.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SgtSteel91 posted:

They've said the missions will dive into the reason each of the companions decided to join the Andromeda Initiative, except Jaal I guess since he lives in Andromeda.

75% will be parental/daddy issues. Jaal just wants to kill poo poo, hopefully.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Kavak posted:

What are the loyalty missions going to be for this time around, though?

Jaal needs help to get surgery that unfuses his shoulder tentacles. This enables tentacle sex.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There be bad guys here, possibly booty, Shepard. Will you murder a small army of folk for me? It will increase your chances of getting into my pants

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah it's really terrible that your squadmates will have side missions focused around them that develop their character

:confused:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If Liam's law enforcement background gets me another interrogation room scene, I am already his best friend.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

marshmallow creep posted:

In a different world, Samara and Morinth learned to live together through the power of Shepard's love.

What, you mean you didn't get your Paragon score up high enough to resolve their argument and recruit both?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

enraged_camel posted:

Are you high on drugs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Burkion posted:

The only bad thing in ME2 was having to super manage what missions you did when and where because otherwise people died and I don't do no sloppy runs damnit.

Straight shooting all the way to the womb

I really hope there isn't some weird doomsday clock ticking down in MEA and you can just go at your own pace to explore poo poo and do missions.

I hope that neglecting to straighten a panting on the wall in the beginning results in Jaal getting killed at the end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

epenthesis posted:

What, you mean you didn't get your Paragon score up high enough to resolve their argument and recruit both?

I always thought that loyalty should have resolved in a different way, like Samara is about to kill Morinth and taking the goody two-shoes Paragon option to interfere is what gets Samara killed instead. Picking Morinth with the information you have available to you by that point is just plain psychopathic and pointlessly stupid.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Not if you are a cold cyber terminator yourself and all you want is a cold hearted killer on the ship

I honestly thought there'd be some benefit to picking Morinth though since it was obviously the "wrong" choice to make and that maybe, since she was a special mindfucker or whatever, she could get a special role later in the game

but not really anything important happens, she's just straight up the wrong choice

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you got a crummy different ability you could stick on shepard

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I picked Morinth first (of course I did) so I could have that ability. Strangely mind controlling enemies without armor or shields didn't help much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Picking Morinth with the information you have available to you by that point is just plain psychopathic and pointlessly stupid.

Yeah, that was one of the places where the Paragon/Renegade thing fell flattest. Also, the conceit that nobody on the Normandy would ever notice she was a completely different person was real dumb.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I picked Morinth first (of course I did) so I could have that ability. Strangely mind controlling enemies without armor or shields didn't help much.

I liked having it in my engineer because I could have a drone and a mind controlled enemy at the same time that Tali and legions drones were out and kind if just wait in the back while the fight resolved itself. Not a perfect strategy for all fights, but a lot of fun to watch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, the conceit that nobody on the Normandy would ever notice she was a completely different person was real dumb.

Sometimes Asari offspring are literal clones (Morinth), sometimes they're not (Liara). That's just the weird, wacky world of Asari genetics.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like to imagine that the times they're a literal clone is when the Asari in question just hosed themselves and don't want anyone to know that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Ray posted:

75% will be parental/daddy issues. Jaal just wants to kill poo poo, hopefully.

Jaal is on a mission to show Ryder his universe and hang out. The first moment he meets Pathfinder he just wants to hang and go to a restaurant to have their equivalent of cheap Mexican beers. And when a shooting spree happens because of some earther scum or whatever, that just makes it more exciting!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
So hype to play a dumbass twenty year old.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, that was one of the places where the Paragon/Renegade thing fell flattest. Also, the conceit that nobody on the Normandy would ever notice she was a completely different person was real dumb.

During recruitment Samara outright said she would kill you after the mission if she thought you were a bad person.

Renegade Shepard just wants a loyal body to hold a weapon and Morinth is a big gamble - Samara the post-mission executioner or Morinth the pre-mission black widow?
Neither choice is really great.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

DancingShade posted:

During recruitment Samara outright said she would kill you after the mission if she thought you were a bad person.

Renegade Shepard just wants a loyal body to hold a weapon and Morinth is a big gamble - Samara the post-mission executioner or Morinth the pre-mission black widow?
Neither choice is really great.

I actually can't remember--is it possible in ME2 to be so bad that Samara wants to kill you? Or is it just a throwaway line when you recruit her

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Haledjian posted:

I actually can't remember--is it possible in ME2 to be so bad that Samara wants to kill you? Or is it just a throwaway line when you recruit her

It's a throw away line, but I didn't know about that when I made the choice.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

enraged_camel posted:

Out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dominate may not be super useful but it is fun.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Dominate may not be super useful but it is fun.

r u my wife

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DancingShade posted:

digging up the corpse to gently caress it on the gravestone.

This was always my favourite Seal song.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lol inferior dextro-based races only get one prospective habitat choice as it should be

(...:ohdear:)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Try to kill everyone and go solo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah I feel like they could use a different flag than !did_mission_17 for example there's the thing where you have an actual story and some things happen or don't based on the story and not how many dirty dozen montage type scenes you saw.

Like the main thing is that Wrex's loyalty mission was incidental to the overall plot, whereas in Mass Effect 2 there kinda was no plot and the story just dribbled over the finish line with a final mission that was pretty much all checking flags of whether you'd done a certain thing or not and then there was a skeleton robot abortion.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 6, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm.

quote:

Eventually the Initiative obtained promising data from Quarian explorers who claimed to have found a geth array on the fringes of the Perseus Veil. This array was supposedly build from three mass effect relays using sensors in the combined relay corridor as a form of FTL "telescope" to observe dark space beyond the galactic rim. Why the geth expended so much effort to study dark space is not known.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

Lol inferior dextro-based races only get one prospective habitat choice as it should be

(...:ohdear:)

Oh, look, an ice age! Too bad! (95% of the Turian and Quarian colonists die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm guessing he's not. The ME 2 loyalty missions get lauded by most as some of the best stuff Bioware's done to date.

If you don't like them, that's cool, but you're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

SgtSteel91 posted:

What's wrong with Loyalty Missions? They were a good way to get to know a specific character, build on their relationship with Shepard, and sometimes introduced new gameplay mechanics to differentiate them from other mission.

Walrus Pete posted:

Yeah it's really terrible that your squadmates will have side missions focused around them that develop their character

:confused:

Mymla posted:

Are you high on drugs.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I feel like they could use a different flag than !did_mission_17 for example there's the thing where you have an actual story and some things happen or don't based on the story and not how many dirty dozen montage type scenes you saw.

Like the main thing is that Wrex's loyalty mission was incidental to the overall plot, whereas in Mass Effect 2 there kinda was no plot and the story just dribbled over the finish line with a final mission that was pretty much all checking flags of whether you'd done a certain thing or not and then there was a skeleton robot abortion.

I should have clarified: I liked the loyalty missions in the previous games. I did not like that the character's allegiance at the end of each game was contingent upon those missions, to the point where you could say "if you do X during her loyalty mission, she helps you with Y at the end of the game" or "if you don't do X, he betrays you" etc etc.

I like the concept was a mechanism to develop characters further. I don't like the formulaic effect loyalty missions have on the story.