Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's been suggested I ask here instead of DIY:

Anyone here familiar with leadlighting/leaded glass? I want to make miniature glass structures and need to know what tools/techniques etc to buy/look up/practice. 

Thanks in advance. 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Another typeface ID questions. Anyone know what typeface this "M" is? This is from like a 6th generation low-res JPG, so forgive the quality. It's not supposed to be broken and rough.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Looks like some sort of Didot or Bodoni knockoff. The typeface you're looking for is a neoclassical serif of some sort. That particular example has been mutilated enough it could have come from any of a dozen different fonts.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Dumb question maybe but is there maybe a thread I missed where folks here either discuss custom Vinyl toy crafting and/or the use of super sculpey, magic sculp, etc?

Just starting to use magic sculpt and looking to learn/chat about technique, sanding, tips, tricks... :)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There was a sculpture thread once upon a time, but I haven't seen it in ages.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

A friend mentioned an artist who created an orange circle on a white background to show the fundamental tools artists work with. Who was it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Technocrat posted:

I've been having fun with an online planet-surface generator (http://wwwtyro.github.io/planet-3d/), but it outputs its texture as six sides of a cube. Is there any way to map these cube-sides to a sphere, so that I can recreate this world in Blender?

What you're looking for is called cubemapping or planar shading. Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of experience with it in Blender, but it's usually a pretty common way of handling things like terrains so hopefully that puts you down the right path.

edit: http://graphicslearning.com/blender-264-cycles-box-projection-mapping/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 2, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My wife is transitioning from traditional illustration into digital this year. She is teaching herself Illustrator with various Udemy courses, books, etc, but she's run into a snag and isn't sure what she needs to do to fix this.

Most of her stuff works well with vectors for the line art and outlines, but she's having substantial trouble converting texturing, watercolour brushes, patterns into anything she can reasonably vectorize. (Makes sense, really - they'd be impossibly huge and crash everything.) She has a client that is asking for "everything in vector format (including the colors, patterns, etc), resizable to any size." We both think it's an unrealistic expectation but since neither of us is a digital expert, we want to make sure of this before we go telling the guy it's not doable that way.

How do you illustrator people handle repeated patterns, backgrounds that aren't gradient / easily vectorized, etc? Are you just using them as rasterized components built into the final size once you've scaled the vector components to their ideal size? I have no idea how to do any of this, but will be an appropriately loving husband and relay advice to her.

Like, take the left image up above. Is there any reasonable means by which you could introduce that style of backdrop or the chair patterning (assume more repeatable) into Illustrator in a vector format? Or should she just introduce it from Photoshop at largest print quality, scale down as appropriate for smaller works?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your wife should look at the image tracing options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsHPoyyNKrY

From her work, I'd suggest breaking it into sections like the watercolor backgrounds should be vectorized separately from the foreground elements because they've got different kinds of detail going on.

Vector on left. Play with the settings til the outcome is to your liking.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 7, 2017

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
If I need watercolor/texture/non-vector stuff in Illustrator, I make it in Photoshop at 1.5x to 2x the final print size, save a copy as a flattened CMYK .TIFF file, and place it as a linked file into Illustrator. You can use clipping masks to mask the background or pattern to only certain areas.

Image Trace works well enough if the bitmap image has only a few colors and no gradients, but getting realistic watercolor texture out of it will probably be more hassle than it's worth. If the client just wants everything vector and doesn't care about having the organic watercolor and texture effects, I'd just do the whole thing in Illustrator and find an alternative treatment for the background and patterns. If the client absolutely needs watercolor and paper textures, let them know you'll give them as high-res files as you can but that vector artwork isn't really suited for that style so a couple of bitmap images will be needed.

As far as the chair pattern, illustrator allows you to create Pattern swatches - you can create a single tile, and illustrator can use that as a fill for any shape you want. Before you ship the file, you can also expand the pattern back into regular vectors so that no one who gets the file can yank the pattern swatch for their own use.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, what are the legalities of making a YouTube show that is basically exactly the same as Mystery Science Theatre 3000? We're about to start working on a new project and while it isn't exactly like MST3K it shares (and owes) so much that I feel it may as well be a complete ripoff. But this would just be an hour show in which three of us more or less sit around and make really obscure jokes to show how hip we are.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Trace tool

gmc9987 posted:

If I need watercolor/texture/non-vector stuff in Illustrator, I make it in Photoshop at 1.5x to 2x the final print size, save a copy as a flattened CMYK .TIFF file, and place it as a linked file into Illustrator. You can use clipping masks to mask the background or pattern to only certain areas.

Image Trace works well enough if the bitmap image has only a few colors and no gradients, but getting realistic watercolor texture out of it will probably be more hassle than it's worth. If the client just wants everything vector and doesn't care about having the organic watercolor and texture effects, I'd just do the whole thing in Illustrator and find an alternative treatment for the background and patterns. If the client absolutely needs watercolor and paper textures, let them know you'll give them as high-res files as you can but that vector artwork isn't really suited for that style so a couple of bitmap images will be needed.

As far as the chair pattern, illustrator allows you to create Pattern swatches - you can create a single tile, and illustrator can use that as a fill for any shape you want. Before you ship the file, you can also expand the pattern back into regular vectors so that no one who gets the file can yank the pattern swatch for their own use.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. The realistic water colors are seriously wrecking the file sizes / calculation times because they're totally not appropriate for vector interpretation. The vector medium just isn't suited for what they're asking for. I'm honestly not certain that they understand what they're asking for, based on the technology requests, so I've also recommended that my wife have a meeting with her client to get more information. Big red flag to me was when they told her that they wanted vector images for all the book pages because "they work better on iPhones." Given their intended print/digital distribution approach / the tech behind standard ebook formats right now, this simply isn't true because all of the major ebook formats are only barely compatible with SVG and render substantially slower than pre-conversion to PNG or JPG as appropriate for the visual style, at the maximum device resolution you intend to draw for. Plus, it's not like vectorizing the art saves her having to deal with different aspect ratios between devices.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
They want resizeable vector artwork because they intend to use the same artwork for a variety of purposes without having to pay your wife to resize or redesign the work. Vector is resolution independent, therefore a vector drawing can be printed on anything, we are saving money! I have some clients who insist on this, and while it's annoying it's not ALWAYS an indication of a lovely client - One client of mine always pays his bills on time, whenever asked, and is super reasonable with deadlines - he just has a very tiny monthly budget to work with. It's not ideal but it's not the worst.

I still say there is some value in sussing out a new vector-appropriate background treatment, if only to learn and become more familiar with the software, and also increase the speed when asked to do things on a budget for smaller clients (which I'm assuming this is, based on the somewhat sketchy knowledge of what vector means and their insistence that this one piece of work be printable at all sizes). Whether that is for this client or not is up to your wife, but learning the disadvantages and advantages of digital art compared to traditional is pretty useful.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

They want resizeable vector artwork because they intend to use the same artwork for a variety of purposes without having to pay your wife to resize or redesign the work. Vector is resolution independent, therefore a vector drawing can be printed on anything, we are saving money! I have some clients who insist on this, and while it's annoying it's not ALWAYS an indication of a lovely client - One client of mine always pays his bills on time, whenever asked, and is super reasonable with deadlines - he just has a very tiny monthly budget to work with. It's not ideal but it's not the worst.

I still say there is some value in sussing out a new vector-appropriate background treatment, if only to learn and become more familiar with the software, and also increase the speed when asked to do things on a budget for smaller clients (which I'm assuming this is, based on the somewhat sketchy knowledge of what vector means and their insistence that this one piece of work be printable at all sizes). Whether that is for this client or not is up to your wife, but learning the disadvantages and advantages of digital art compared to traditional is pretty useful.

Yeah, I don't think it's them being sketchy at all. They're paying in the low five digits for the final project and are breaking up the payments section by section with a very reasonable contract, from what I've seen of it. They're a fairly major religious organization, but the board involved in the project are a bunch of elderly monks who aren't really tech-savvy. If anything's going on, it's just that art isn't their forte at all (which makes perfect sense -- hire someone to do what you can't do yourself) so expectations might not get communicated well. :) By flag, I meant "they might not really know what they want" rather than "uh oh, this is a bad client."

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I might have asked this before. This is a specialty font used in Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Where in the hell is this font? I know someone made it available at least once, the file even had a Zork esque variant of "The Quick Brown Fox" in it's preview and as far as I know was a fan creation, but goddamnit it doesn't seem to exist anymore.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone with experience with tattoo design? A friend asked me to make a design for him, and while the image part is easy, I don't know to handle the text he wants. Do I need to consider freehand-ability with the font, or do I let the tattoo guy chose his font, and just supply size and position guides?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

Anyone with experience with tattoo design? A friend asked me to make a design for him, and while the image part is easy, I don't know to handle the text he wants. Do I need to consider freehand-ability with the font, or do I let the tattoo guy chose his font, and just supply size and position guides?

Text is something any reasonably talented tattoo artist will be able to do easily, even if it's a very intricate font. Many artists create stencils and then transfer them to the skin before tattooing, so they don't have to free-hand the font, though some could if they wanted.

That said it's usually better to let a tattoo artist come up with the design than to just give them something to copy. The reason for that is because art that looks good on paper doesn't always make for good tattoos. Skin is a weird surface, and the body has forms that flow in certain ways and the design of a tattoo needs to accommodate that in order to fit the body well. Beyond that, there are many other considerations that are unique to tattooing so the tattoo artist really needs to be part of the design process if you want a good tattoo that not only looks good right after you get, but will also age well and not look like unreadable garbage after 2-3 years.

I think what would work best, is to create a design that shows the essence of what your friend wants, but have them ask the tattoo artist to create their own design based on what you've done. Just ask the tattoo artist for a sketch of a design they think will work, then your friend can use that to see if they'd want to go forward with it or not.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2017

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

JuniperCake posted:

I think what would work best, is to create a design that shows the essence of what your friend wants, but have them ask the tattoo artist to create their own design based on what you've done. Just ask the tattoo artist for a sketch of a design they think will work, then your friend can use that to see if they'd want to go forward with it or not.

I'll take that advise and let him know. The concept is simple and non-fiddly so it's probably not a problem, but it sounds like a good way to handle the text.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Pretty niche mechanical pencil question. I recently bought a Rotring 600 and am looking to pick up a few replacement erasers. Thing is, it's kinda unclear which to buy. The link for spare erasers on the official page lists those for the 800/800+ or the Tikki MP & Rapid Pro and I'm unclear if these'll fit as they look slightly different to the one in my 600. I'm not having much luck on Amazon either.

If someone uses these pencils and can confirm/deny compatibility, that'd be magic. Alternatively if someone has better Google skills than me and can find a 600 set with certainty (I'm in the UK so trying to avoid massive postage fees for £3 erasers), that'd be magic too. I've submitted a customer service query to Rotring but the form seems geared around orders & returns over general questions so I dunno if they'll get back to me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
What kind of varnish should I use over spraypaint that has been applied to ABS plastic (properly primed)? I have painted a playstation 4 controller, and the varnish I've used feels strangely.. soft? after like a week curing. It also smells a little funny. I would like something hard like an automotive paint finish, and I would like it to not smell funny also. Am I looking at polyurethane or what?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tenterhooks posted:

Pretty niche mechanical pencil question. I recently bought a Rotring 600 and am looking to pick up a few replacement erasers. Thing is, it's kinda unclear which to buy. The link for spare erasers on the official page lists those for the 800/800+ or the Tikki MP & Rapid Pro and I'm unclear if these'll fit as they look slightly different to the one in my 600. I'm not having much luck on Amazon either.

If someone uses these pencils and can confirm/deny compatibility, that'd be magic. Alternatively if someone has better Google skills than me and can find a 600 set with certainty (I'm in the UK so trying to avoid massive postage fees for £3 erasers), that'd be magic too. I've submitted a customer service query to Rotring but the form seems geared around orders & returns over general questions so I dunno if they'll get back to me.

Could you measure the diameter and length of the rubber part and did cheap replacements that way?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any idea how to achieve this background's look in After Effects or Illustrator (or at least know what it's called)? I'm referring to that low-polygon "glass" style background on the Overwatch HUD screen. I'm seeing this style everywhere now, but can't figure out whether I need to create it in C4D, or something.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I was hoping to solicit some help with a logo from an artist goon, but I'm not sure where to ask!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

JD posted:

I was hoping to solicit some help with a logo from an artist goon, but I'm not sure where to ask!

If you want an artist to make a logo for you:
There is a work for hire/freelance thread right here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487
(Read the first post first before posting)

If you are making it yourself but want advice or a critique, then either post the work in progress or ask a specific question that someone will be able to give you an answer for. You can do that in this thread if you want.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

JuniperCake posted:

If you want an artist to make a logo for you:
There is a work for hire/freelance thread right here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487
(Read the first post first before posting)

If you are making it yourself but want advice or a critique, then either post the work in progress or ask a specific question that someone will be able to give you an answer for. You can do that in this thread if you want.

Similar to JD's question, I admin a minecraft server and we're gonna be changing to a new custom modpack soon. For the last year and a half, we've been hastily throwing together a splash screen in paint for our pack, and I was kinda hoping to get something that's like 1 or 2 degrees less... poo poo. I'd be looking for either a background that's 2550x1450 pixels, or a logo that's 1000x600 pixels The problem is that the server runs entirely off of donations, and I can't front any money for anything. Luckily, I'm not looking for anything incredibly detailed, professional, or complex. Hell, a decently amateurish shine on the image would actually be preferred. Is the freelance thread the place to ask about this, or is there another place, or is this even allowed?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i want to start sketching again like i did when i was a kid so i went on amazon and bought a big and a small sketch book plus a 21pc essentials sketching kit. i'm really bad. is there a recommended tutorial/textbook for an absolute beginner? i don't even know what half the pencils/stick things are or how to hold them properly :/

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ghostter posted:

i want to start sketching again like i did when i was a kid so i went on amazon and bought a big and a small sketch book plus a 21pc essentials sketching kit. i'm really bad. is there a recommended tutorial/textbook for an absolute beginner? i don't even know what half the pencils/stick things are or how to hold them properly :/

This Proko series/playlist will review the basics and you should probably read Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain and maybe it's workbook.

Get newspaper print paper pads, or whatever cheap pads you can get, or a really cheap sketchbook that means nothing to you and go out and draw things. Draw people, draw plants, draw animals, draw buildings, draw whatever. Fill the paperpads, fill your crappy sketchbook, don't judge your old drawings, and when you feel yourself enjoying the act of drawing, embrace that feeling, because it's more important than the feeling you get from looking at your sketches and realizing you're not Da Vinci.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

Similar to JD's question, I admin a minecraft server and we're gonna be changing to a new custom modpack soon. For the last year and a half, we've been hastily throwing together a splash screen in paint for our pack, and I was kinda hoping to get something that's like 1 or 2 degrees less... poo poo. I'd be looking for either a background that's 2550x1450 pixels, or a logo that's 1000x600 pixels The problem is that the server runs entirely off of donations, and I can't front any money for anything. Luckily, I'm not looking for anything incredibly detailed, professional, or complex. Hell, a decently amateurish shine on the image would actually be preferred. Is the freelance thread the place to ask about this, or is there another place, or is this even allowed?

gently caress it, PM me. I'll cook up something for you in my spare time.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Has anyone printed on fabric on an inkjet plotter and would be able to provide a bit of guidance? We are looking for a canvas/linen/fabric that would be not so tight a weave that would allow some light to get through, yet not destroy our plotter. The clear and sensible path is to have them done by a printer who specializes in this, but our owner insists on using our equipment.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Skunkrocker posted:

gently caress it, PM me. I'll cook up something for you in my spare time.

I totally would if I had PMs. My email is in my profile though, if you'd like to go that route.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Hopefully someone here can answer this for me. In Illustrator, I want to create an outer glow around a fully transparent object. The end result should be that you only see the glow, and not the object itself In Photoshop this is really easy - apply a layer effect and then turn the "fill" slider down to zero. In illustrator, there does not seem to be a way to do this. Am I wrong?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Duplicate the object and make it a compound group with the first object?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Duplicate the object and make it a compound group with the first object?

I ended up duplicating the object, turning the color to solid black, and then using it as an opacity mask - the black areas masked the original object, areas that weren't black allowed the glow to show through.Why does everything in illustrator have to be so complicated and math-y?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

gmc9987 posted:

Why does everything in illustrator have to be so complicated and math-y?

It doesn't. You just need to be better at Illustrator.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Has anyone printed on fabric on an inkjet plotter and would be able to provide a bit of guidance? We are looking for a canvas/linen/fabric that would be not so tight a weave that would allow some light to get through, yet not destroy our plotter. The clear and sensible path is to have them done by a printer who specializes in this, but our owner insists on using our equipment.

In the industry that's called DTG printing and if the color of what you're printing on isnt something very light prints tend to look pretty gross

What are you trying to make and couldn't you just print on a clear acrylic or something?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What does Guillermo Del Toro use to color his illustrations?

I thought it was watercolor, or maybe gouache, but now I think he just uses markers? Not a lot of interviews about what supplies he uses or anything, other than using a nib pen for line work with MONTBLANC ink.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Franchescanado posted:

What does Guillermo Del Toro use to color his illustrations?

I thought it was watercolor, or maybe gouache, but now I think he just uses markers? Not a lot of interviews about what supplies he uses or anything, other than using a nib pen for line work with MONTBLANC ink.

Markers. It's obvious with the spots on the creature in the bottom right image and the edge of the dark blue negative space around it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thank you!

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I'm writing a script because I'm one of those lovely people who thinks he can catapult his way into a life of luxury (read: not having to borrow ten bucks for gas) by just not being the Big Bang Theory guy.

Okay, self deprecation out of the way, I'm using Google Docs so I can send updates to friends to get their input but I'm getting really annoyed that every time I center my text for the script I also have to reset my left and right indent and vice versa. I tried to add the indents to a heading so I can just keyboard shortcut it, but that doesn't work. Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Does anyone know what brush settings I can change--if any--in Manga Studio to create a brush which fades out after a long-enough stroke (preferably a number I can customize), but which still lets me use the same stroke to blend colors even after the color's gone away?