Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Oh nice, my local Walmart got in some Pro Controllers. The only one in the area, apparently. It took a few tries to get the web site to figure out it was a store pickup order and not trying to get one shipped, but I'm picking it up on the way home today. And Zelda finally showed up, so I'll have that waiting for me.

I was hoping to get the Pro Controller from Best Buy, since I wound up with like $30 in reward certificates, but they can go towards another set of Joycons or a charging grip, if the Red/Blue set comes back in before they expire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Is that physical? Does the digital not translate?

Digital does too, but then you have to setup a Japanese account and buy eshop credit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dehry posted:

Digital does too, but then you have to setup a Japanese account and buy eshop credit.

I did that it was super easy, took 5 minutes, haven't bought anything yet, but I'm ready to digimport.

Made a Mexico one too for cheap shoveling

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you need a reminder of which Hori Screen Protector to buy. :lol:

But of course don't pay 19 dollars when it retails for 10.

I wish the info was out when I still could get it for $10 from amazon. Now it's at least a month wait.

I just ordered it from japamazon for $5 extra. At least I'll have it by this weekend most likely.

As for selling these things.

In CA, they cost around $335. If you were to sell that on Ebay and just break even you need to get up over $380 and that is if you pass the shipping on to the buyer.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Seriously guys don't buy a plastic screen protector, especially not a 20 dollar one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

And how is one that is a bitch to apply better than a HORI one that is easy to apply?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rad Valtar posted:

Tried 2 Wal-Mart's, 2 Meijer, Game stop and Target and not one store has had any since Friday. Apparently my area is just hosed. gently caress this scarcity bullshit.

i'm curious about the guy who said amazon let him order one and wait for it to get back in stock since they just want me to buy one from the douchebags marking it up $100 or more

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Waltzing Along posted:

And how is one that is a bitch to apply better than a HORI one that is easy to apply?

You literally drop the glass on the screen and it adheres itself?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The pro goon reccomended choice. Put this on my Switch and wouldn't recommend anything else.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

You literally drop the glass on the screen and it adheres itself?

With that type of protector, if you don't get it perfect the first time, it tends to get worse and worse with each try.

With HORI (other than that stupid premium one) you have a lot of flexibility to make sure it is 100% perfect before actually peeling the backings off the screen.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Waltzing Along posted:

With that type of protector, if you don't get it perfect the first time, it tends to get worse and worse with each try.

With HORI (other than that stupid premium one) you have a lot of flexibility to make sure it is 100% perfect before actually peeling the backings off the screen.

Yeah, but the glass ones are ten thousand times easier to get on right the first time than the dumb assed plastic ones. Also, they're better

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, but the glass ones are ten thousand times easier to get on right the first time than the dumb assed plastic ones. Also, they're better

:yeah:

And the one that's linked above comes with two in case your meaty cheetos stained paws gently caress it up the first time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Milkman posted:

:yeah:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got my Switch (*Snap!*) today. Nice little piece of kit! Love all the UI/UX sound effects. Nintendo is great at that stuff.

As expected, my hands were a little too big to comfortably play the Vita, so the same holds here.
Unfortunately, the PRO CONTROLLER seems to be even harder to find than the console.

*sign*

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Feenix posted:

Got my Switch (*Snap!*) today. Nice little piece of kit! Love all the UI/UX sound effects. Nintendo is great at that stuff.

As expected, my hands were a little too big to comfortably play the Vita, so the same holds here.
Unfortunately, the PRO CONTROLLER seems to be even harder to find than the console.

*sign*

I've seen a massive amount of pro controllers at the stores I've tried but I'm starting to think the actual console is an elaborate internet myth.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm surprisingly unmotivated to pick up a pro controller, the joycon grip works well for me. I think the trick is to hold it loosely, it doesn't have the ergonomics for a tight grip.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275522-switch-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-set-sales-records-for-nintendo

So Reggie gave some info on the sales of the Switch and Zelda in the US and here's what we've got:

- Switch beat out first two day sales of any other Nintendo home console. For perspective, the Wii sold over 600,000 units in its first eight days.
-Zelda was the best selling launch title of any Nintendo console

People are already trying to spin this as negative. I can understand being critical of Nintendo's decisions and the end results of them but the continued desire some of wanting to see them fail and turn anything that looks like a success into a negative is kind of overwhelming sometimes. Obviously there's still a lot the new console has to prove, but I can't see how this news is anywhere near a BAD thing for them.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 7, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275522-switch-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-set-sales-records-for-nintendo

So Reggie gave some info on the sales of the Switch and Zelda in the US and here's what we've got:

- Switch beat out first two day sales of any other Nintendo home console. For perspective, the Wii U sold over 600,000 units in its first eight days.

The Wii did, not the Wii U.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Just applied the glass protector and it's flawless.

Pro tip: apply it in your bathroom after letting the shower run on hot for a few minutes. No dust, no muss.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mistyped. Correcting the post.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

First impressions from a 36 year old video game junky who loved his SNES and Game Boy but hasn't bought a Nintendo system since, mostly a result of Nintendo giving up on the processing power arms race:

-In handheld mode it is very slick. I love bleeding edge tech and thought the 720p screen would bother me, but it looks great. Joycons work well, everything feels high quality.

-The dock is a cheap piece of poo poo. It wouldn't recognize my personal HDMI cable, and the included HDMI cable is shorter than the width of my 65" TV. I have a receiver too, so it forced me to put it somewhere stupid.

-UI is really nice. Better than the PS4.

-Wifi is blazing fast on my 175Mbps connection, although strangely it sees my router and two Google Wifi mesh hubs as three separate networks. No other device does that.

-Zelda is artistically beautiful but really had me worried in that first scene on the plateau. Lots of slowdown and aliasing in docked mode. The slowdown seems to have abated since, but the game looks sparse and ugly compared to what I was playing last - Horizon on PS4 Pro. I was expecting worse though, so overall I'm satisfied with how it looks on a 4k tv. And of course it's the best looking handheld game I've ever played.

-From a gameplay perspective, Zelda seems charming, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't catch myself thinking "I could be playing Horizon right now." I've never loved the Zelda franchise, and I think I'll like this one, but it's coming out at the same time as lots of great, groundbreaking stuff. I'm confident it will grow on me when I give it time... and with the Switch I have a lot of time before the next game I want comes out.

-The Joycon grip is passable until I can find a pro controller but not comfortable at all for my giant hands. Not getting the chargeable version in the box is super cheap on Nintendo's part.

-Feeling very nickel and dimed by all the accessories. It really adds up.

Overall, solid 8/10 first impressions. If I wasn't planning on using it as a handheld, and wasn't really excited to play Mario Kart again soon - a rare game that my wife also wants to play - I'd be disappointed though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Zelda weirdly had the opposite effect for me - I have absolutely no desire to touch Horizon until I finish Zelda.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

- Switch beat out first two day sales of any other Nintendo home console. For perspective, the Wii sold over 600,000 units in its first eight days.

People are already trying to spin this as negative. I can understand being critical of Nintendo's decisions and the end results of them but the continued desire some of wanting to see them fail and turn anything that looks like a success into a negative is kind of overwhelming sometimes. Obviously there's still a lot the new console has to prove, but I can't see how this news is anywhere near a BAD thing for them.

who cares what people say (besides you)

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Ordered a really generic cheap case from Amazon because it's the only one that's going to be in stock in the next few days. Really loving this console right now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm deliberately playing Zelda first since Horizon will look way better, but I totally expect to enjoy Zelda's gameplay and open world more.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I bought Horizon on the weekend but still haven't unwrapped it yet as I can't play it whilst "working" in my office on my switch... It does look incredible, though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm playing both at once they are both different and good and shouldn't be compared unless you're trying to hate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Also I finally am using the grip controller and I'm finding it quite comfortable; I could have gotten the Pro controller off the couch but this is more than fine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Horizon looks good but it also looks like something I've played a dozen times already and am generally tired of. Zelda is a much more comparatively new experience.

It's quite a visual achievement, though.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dehry posted:

$71 after everything applied at Play Asia.

It's around $62 shipped on Amazon Japan to US.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Splatoon 2 beta coming this month... 24 - 26

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Splatoon 2 beta coming this month... 24 - 26

I will be missing sleep that weekend.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Did Reggie imply that the Switch is outselling the Wii within a two day timeframe at launch?

Isn't that impressive?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

Did Reggie imply that the Switch is outselling the Wii within a two day timeframe at launch?

Isn't that impressive?

Not if they made more in the first batch. Wait a month before burying or deifying the console

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay goddamnit. I know BOTW is good.

But the acid test: is it better than Ocarina?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ocarina is butt

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mdemone posted:

ya

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mdemone posted:

The memory of ocarina and its innovation or the reality of playing it now?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

mdemone posted:

Yeah. The open world feels at least as amazing as Hyrule Field and the day/night cycle did at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anidav posted:

Isn't that impressive?

Nintendo actually got it right on how to communicate to the masses what this thing is during those goofy commercials. Each commercial shows someone playing the game on a TV, popping it off it to play on the go, then popping it back in to play at home. It's not a complicated process, its easy to do and anybody can make it work. They really need some more games on it though. Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart both have to launch before Christmas or Nintendo is hosed Nintendo might be in trouble. But with both those games? It will be the number one gift easily.

• Locked thread