Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lightrook posted:

To be fair, there are a decent number of snakes, skinks, and caecilians that are noodle-shaped and live underground digging tunnels; most people don't think of them because we don't see them because they live, y'know, underground. The bifurcated neck is a pretty serious design flaw for a tunnel-digging animal, though, although Dugtrio somehow managed with three? Blatantly ripping off Charizard's head is inexcusable, though.

I tried looking up burrowing and digging snakes, but all of the ones that I could find much information on just invaded other nests. What species actually digs around underground?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

turn off the TV posted:

I tried looking up burrowing and digging snakes, but all of the ones that I could find much information on just invaded other nests. What species actually digs around underground?

Those tiny snake-worm things with needle teeth burrow in soil. I recall reading that some glass lizards (legless lizards) do too.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Simply Simon posted:

poor freckles

thought of ants and died

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sleepy.eyes posted:

Those tiny snake-worm things with needle teeth burrow in soil. I recall reading that some glass lizards (legless lizards) do too.

After reading some more about blind snakes and worm lizards I still can't find any reference to them actually digging through anything other than top soil, besides one species of worm lizard that still has legs. From the sounds of it they all more or less invade the tunnels of other species capable of digging.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Wait, that seashell looks familiar...

A lot of the decent looking pixel art such as tilesets look strangely familiar as well, I'm guessing they didn't discriminate non-pokemon games to "borrow" from.

e: after a cursory google search because I'm curious what other assets they might've cribbed from random games there seems to be a person over on imgur who claims Uranium stole their sprites/designs. Not sure how credible that is though. v:shobon:v

I played Uranium way back when an incomplete demo came out years ago. I tried playing it again when they released the final version but my save got corrupted and wiped which apparently is a bug that happens if you save in a certain spot.

Loops fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 6, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, even sage has a pokemon line that ends up being kinda the same idea as steelix, but at least it looks actually decent and the game's pokedex has over 200 original pokemon with none from the actual games

The final form very strongly reminds me of the penultimate boss of Chrono Cross.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

sleepy.eyes posted:

Are you talking about caecilians? They're amphibians, not reptiles or any sort of annelid or other worm.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

dancingbears posted:

Are you talking about caecilians? They're amphibians, not reptiles or any sort of annelid or other worm.

I guess I am? I just dug one of them up a little while ago and haven't done any real research. I only know glass lizards(the Floridian ones anyhow) burrow for the same reason.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

So it's managing to rip off Dugtrio, Doduo, and Charizard. Impressive!
Don't forget Taurus with those two tails. Terlard (hell of a name, by the way... seems like a combination of "terlet" and "lard") should just be called "Rip-Off" in the Pokedex.

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, even sage has a pokemon line that ends up being kinda the same idea as steelix, but at least it looks actually decent and the game's pokedex has over 200 original pokemon with none from the actual games

That last form looks like a wyrm, because I still have MTG memories.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

turn off the TV posted:

Blind snakes are real snakes and burrow underground, and apparently dwarf boas do the same, too. You're right though, snakes aren't much for burrowing because their delicate, flexible skulls make poor shovels.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lightrook posted:

Blind snakes are real snakes and burrow underground, and apparently dwarf boas do the same, too. You're right though, snakes aren't much for burrowing because their delicate, flexible skulls make poor shovels.

Blind snakes stick primarily to lighter top soil, from what I've read. Terland's sprite looks more like it burrows deeper underground, which I guess it would have to since it looks huge.

I don't have a problem with a ground type pokemon being a snake, especially since a lot of ground types aren't supposed to really dig at all. I don't really get why they decided to go for it, but I don't get most of this game's designs.

At least it made me learn about some weird rear end snakes and lizards.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Burrowing seems like a terrible idea for a snake with two heads, considering the force of the dirt would be placed squarely between it's two necks

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

lightrook posted:

Blind snakes are basically carnivorous worms, and there are massive numbers of them around the world in areas that are warm enough

Danaru posted:

Burrowing seems like a terrible idea for a snake with two heads, considering the force of the dirt would be placed squarely between it's two necks

yeah, a poor choice here

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

get that OUT of my face posted:

Terlard (hell of a name, by the way... seems like a combination of "terlet" and "lard")

Great, now all I can think of is a crossover between Pokemon Uranium and the 30 Days of Abe Owns thread

"fell on a terlard ):"

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

i can't wait to see how baashuns evolution ruins its actually decent design

I like the stage 2 the best. Stage 3 feels unnecessary, as does its- oops, spoilers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Antivehicular posted:

Great, now all I can think of is a crossover between Pokemon Uranium and the 30 Days of Abe Owns thread

"fell on a terlard ):"

Duodick [with a cardboard box over each of his heads]: computer run program sigma alpha six, of a girlard who can look at me without spontaneously developing an pokemon uranium official forums account on the spot. engage

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not that I don't mostly agree with the opinions on the actual design of the new fakemons we've seen so far, but are we really trying to complain about the feasibility of a two-headed snake pokemon somehow tunneling? In a world where Garchomp the "flies faster than a jet aircraft" exists?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The fact that it's heads are literally just Charizard but with a spot of rocks bug me a little bit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lord Koth posted:

Not that I don't mostly agree with the opinions on the actual design of the new fakemons we've seen so far, but are we really trying to complain about the feasibility of a two-headed snake pokemon somehow tunneling? In a world where Garchomp the "flies faster than a jet aircraft" exists?

This game doesn't deserve mercy :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

usually the burrowing pokemon actually look like things that would be able to burrow, so mostly my question is why the two-headed charizard snake needs to dig through dirt

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Johnny Joestar posted:

usually the burrowing pokemon actually look like things that would be able to burrow, so mostly my question is why the two-headed charizard snake needs to dig through dirt

To hide it's shameful existence.

Suraht
Feb 12, 2014
After all this talk about burrowing snakes, I'm just imagining Duodick acting like the spider from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLw-9dpHtcU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

Not really, unless you think things like Diglet, Garchomp and Onix look like diggers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

WarpedLichen posted:

Not really, unless you think things like Diglet, Garchomp and Onix look like diggers.

diglet looks like a weird mole thing so there's no reason why it can't. it's pretty much a perfect example of the pokemon aesthetic taken to a simple end.

garchomp is the final evolution of a line that starts out living in caverns and eventually learns to fly due to being a dragon, so i don't care all too much if the final form is focused more on being some goofy jet thing since gamefreak seems to love dragon lines that do weird metamorphosis crap

why wouldn't onix be able to burrow?

if the uranium creator wanted to make a digging snake thing then they could have at least not made it literally look like a a couple of charizard heads on a red snake with two tails. it's like a weird, off-brand version of diglet/dugtrio that gains more heads as it levels but seems to make even less sense than the weird mole thing whose underside has never been seen before in the decades of pokemon existing. mostly it just seems lazy, which i think is the worst thing about it more or less. hell, the first form makes more sense even if it's also boring.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Theres a breed called the western hognose that likes to burrow. It even has a little upturned snout to help it dig! They also flatten their neck like a cobra when threatened and even play dead sometimes. Cool little snake

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Lord Koth posted:

In a world where Garchomp the "flies faster than a jet aircraft" exists?

Reminder that the normal Pokedex entries are implicitly written in-universe by actual children. They're intentional games of ridiculous one-upsmanship hence why things like that or Slugma being hotter than the surface of the Sun are listed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

diglet and onix are long cylindrical pokemon, so yeah they're both copying the burrowing animal body plan very well!

garchomp doesn't look like a burrower but it's arms with the wings could theoretically be used as a shovel so as long as it's just digging shallowly so eh whatever i'll let it pass

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dragonatrix posted:

Reminder that the normal Pokedex entries are implicitly written in-universe by actual children. They're intentional games of ridiculous one-upsmanship hence why things like that or Slugma being hotter than the surface of the Sun are listed.

If this was implied before, it got thrown out completely in Sun and Moon. A few NPCs treat it as a reliable resource.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

mandatory lesbian posted:

diglet and onix are long cylindrical pokemon, so yeah they're both copying the burrowing animal body plan very well!

garchomp doesn't look like a burrower but it's arms with the wings could theoretically be used as a shovel so as long as it's just digging shallowly so eh whatever i'll let it pass
The head is at least, but for all we know Diglett could be a gigantic drill or some kind of mole-like body beneath the dome head.

I'm just still marveling at how stupid the name Terlard is, it's just brain-dead designing a name for something by mashing up 2 terms related to what it is ("Terra Lizard") and then not regarding at all how the combination actually sounds. Terlard would be a much better name for a fat lizard snorlax creature, if anything.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bluhman posted:

The head is at least, but for all we know Diglett could be a gigantic drill or some kind of mole-like body beneath the dome head.

I'm just still marveling at how stupid the name Terlard is, it's just brain-dead designing a name for something by mashing up 2 terms related to what it is ("Terra Lizard") and then not regarding at all how the combination actually sounds. Terlard would be a much better name for a fat lizard snorlax creature, if anything.

So far the names in this game are remarkably terrible. Like this guy thinks that portmanteaus are the height of cleverness, and he doesn't have to do anything besides throw two relevant words together any old way and he's got a perfectly good name.

Names are tricky, I am absolutely terrible at coming up with names, but this dude is the worst at names.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's always struck me as a sorely missed opporunity that there isn't a fighting type sheep called rampage.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

If this was implied before, it got thrown out completely in Sun and Moon. A few NPCs treat it as a reliable resource.

It should be noted that your character has a Rotom for a Pokedex. No idea what the NPCs might have as their source.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

A few people in real life treat Wikipedia as a reliable resource, too.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Crazy Achmed posted:

It's always struck me as a sorely missed opporunity that there isn't a fighting type sheep called rampage.

I had a Fakemon idea based on sheep once:
Shearlock (Detective sheep!)
Watchson (Wooly sheepdog)
Moribaaty/Moribaaddy (evil Black sheep)

There was also Baadler, but that reused the joke. Yeah, it's pretty dumb. XD

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

silversatyr posted:

There was also Baadler, but that reused the joke. Yeah, it's pretty dumb. XD

Needs to be immune to witchesFairy types to really work. :v:

Ace of Aces posted:

I've heard people reference the "It was written by children!" thing before but I've never seen an actual source for it in a Pokemon game, so I've always assumed it was just fanon people were taking as truth.

It's a cheap, off-the-cuff explanation as to why pokedex entries can be contradictory or downright violate every known law of physics.

In other words, it's people overthinking the lore and expecting it to be coherent.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Begemot posted:

So far the names in this game are remarkably terrible. Like this guy thinks that portmanteaus are the height of cleverness, and he doesn't have to do anything besides throw two relevant words together any old way and he's got a perfectly good name.

Names are tricky, I am absolutely terrible at coming up with names, but this dude is the worst at names.

The fakemon designs that stick in my head the most are Icetope and Chillnobyl from Pokemon Sage. Radioactive slugs/snails, Ice/Poison. As off-colour a joke at it is, Icetope is a brilliant pun.

It'd even fit well in Uranium :v:

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 7, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Paul.Power posted:

The fakemon designs that stick in my head the most are Icetope and Chillnobyl from Pokemon Sage. Radioactive slugs/snails, Ice/Poison. As off-colour a joke at it is, Icetope is a brilliant pun.

Having strong puns is 90+% of Pokemon design anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watagator, water/poison Gharial pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

Those aren't bad names/concepts for fan pokemon. Considering pokemon follow the logic of "Blue=Water or Ice" and cherenkov radiation is supposed to glow blue, Ice/Poison actually works for a "nuclear pokemon". Plus the puns aren't bad.

• Locked thread