Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
A Girl Named Sephiroth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

We named our daughter (born in 2015) Aerith because of the character in FF VII. Her middle name is Lilly, also because of the character selling lillies.

quote:

I named my daughter Aeris. My name is Amanda and my husband's name is Alex. We loved the name Aeris, having heard it while playing Final Fantasy, and we liked the alliteration of "A" names. It is certainly a unique name, and it makes her stand out. I also love that it sounds like "heiress". Good karma!!

quote:

I also named my daughter Aeris. My other two children have more classic names (James and Allison), so with our youngest, we decided to do something a little more unique, like Amanda and Alex. We also got the name from Final Fantasy. Another name we were thinking of using was Reece (a family surname), but Aeris just seemed like a better fit.

quote:

My oldest daughter's name is Aeris. I knew it came from a video game, which I wasn't too keen on, but it was such a pretty and odd name that I said okay to her daddy's request. The only thing she doesn't like about it, is that no one can pronounce her name correctly... they call her Aries, like the horoscope.

quote:

My own name is Aeris and the only things I hate are how people misspell and mispronounce my name, or how similar other, more common names are to it (Erin, Erica, Eric, etc.). Basically like the one in the comment above. Really, if you name your child Aeris, just keep in mind that it might offend her a little when someone she's really close to misspells her name.

There's a common thread here.

Being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your non-English name is fair, because that's on them for being ignorant. But being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your dumb dopey video game name is a little silly. That's my hot take anyway

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I have a great aunt Zelda. :confused:

It's also one of the aunts' names from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's a feedback loop. This is how we get to all the weird spellings and names in sci-fi future worlds

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"Dad, why did Aunt Sally name my cousin Diamond?"

"Because she loves diamonds, they're her favorite thing in the world."

"And where did you get my name from, Dad?"

"Shut up and do your homework, Ys: The Oath in Felghana."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
At least they aren't named Haydee

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

It's also one of the aunts' names from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

So you're saying there's no link there?

:yayclod:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your non-English name is fair, because that's on them for being ignorant. But being upset that unilingual English-speakers don't know how to pronounce your dumb dopey video game name is a little silly. That's my hot take anyway

its not really anyones fault that english is a retarded language without pronunciation rules

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

89 posted:

I pondered the idea of eventually grabbing a heavily discounted Wii U to have The Nintendo Machine with it's virtual console.

But, then I realized most of the games on VC are still $10 each. wtf.

On the other hand with homebrew it can run all the GameCube games so that's neat (so can a Wii!)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

89 posted:

I pondered the idea of eventually grabbing a heavily discounted Wii U to have The Nintendo Machine with it's virtual console.

But, then I realized most of the games on VC are still $10 each. wtf.

They're like 5 to 10 which is totally reasonable

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I decided to head to the first dungeon (well, my first one anyways) in zelda and it took me a full real life day just to GET there. Making it past deadly enemies, getting sidetracked by interesting looking sites, climbing hills, and dealing with hostile weather.

This game rules. The world they've built is incredible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

"Dad, why did Aunt Sally name my cousin Diamond?"

"Because she loves diamonds, they're her favorite thing in the world."

"And where did you get my name from, Dad?"

Just sent in preshcool applications for my son, Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in botw i just found the islands named after tingle + his brothers + the guy he forces to work for him. also Linebeck Island

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looked at jontrons's feed today and yikes, what happened to this guy's brain the last few months

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

looked at jontrons's feed today and yikes, what happened to this guy's brain the last few months

i would assume it gets more difficult when you have everyone screaming at you constantly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

Just watch vgdunkey instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grapplejack posted:

i would assume it gets more difficult when you have everyone screaming at you constantly

i'm not going to blame the people yelling at a guy with insane nationalistic views because he has insane nationalistic views

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's not his fault that the Commulists are trying to take over America.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The country's dyin, cloud

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

He's always been kinda like this, but Trump's election has made some people think it's ok to say their horrible thoughts out loud.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Guy Mann posted:

gettin pretty tired of everyone pronouncing my name "yes" :mad:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

He's always been kinda like this, but Trump's election has made some people think it's ok to say their horrible thoughts out loud.

he seems to have transformed into someone utterly joyless who hates where he lives (Manhattan) hates Zelda after 1 hour, liked Get Out but THE RACIAL THEMES ECHHH how on earth can someone be so unhappy when they make funny videos for a living

then again Notch is a billionaire who is loving miserable and tweets all day in his giant mansion so maybe videogames and youtube just make people nuts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

According to Wikipedia, JonTron will be voicing a character in that yooka-layle game, so that's good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

According to Wikipedia, JonTron will be voicing a character in that yooka-layle game, so that's good

Well, it's just gibberish voice acting yeah?

I like jontron's content but I understand why people wouldn't, and it's pretty strange seeing someone of Iranian descent being involved in all this alt-right poo poo but hopefully people who don't like him are able to overlook any gibberish he supplies to yooka laylee

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jay Rust posted:

gently caress, this just made me realize that people unfortunate enough to be named after ff7 characters could be in their twenties now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCiLsj2hk5o

Jay Rust posted:

Jim Sterling voiced a character in Read Only Memories/2064: We Changed The Name To Read Only Memories For Some Reason so going by the transitive property Yooka-Laylee should be an amazing game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MinibarMatchman posted:

he seems to have transformed into someone utterly joyless who hates where he lives (Manhattan) hates Zelda after 1 hour, liked Get Out but THE RACIAL THEMES ECHHH how on earth can someone be so unhappy when they make funny videos for a living

then again Notch is a billionaire who is loving miserable and tweets all day in his giant mansion so maybe videogames and youtube just make people nuts

Or, more likely these people have always been broken and you're just noticing it now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

he needs to chill the gently caress out. Youtubers in general need to chill. chill like the loving ice age chill

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

This poo poo is fascinating to me

One of my ex's named her kid Aerith without even being a big FF fan. She's one of the few I don't talk to anymore because CRAZY but I'm curious how that's going on the playground

Why do goons hate Jim Sterling? Honest question. I've only watched a few of his videos but he seems kinda okay to me, the lawsuit video is hilarious

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

precision posted:

Why do goons hate Jim Sterling? Honest question. I've only watched a few of his videos but he seems kinda okay to me, the lawsuit video is hilarious
I generally agree with him but I find his persona really offputting.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

He opens and closes his videos wearing a silly outfit, that's pretty much it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well I guess that Shantae HGH Hard mode came out. Best I can tell the only thing they actually changed is making you take 4x as much damage and enemies have 2x as much health. Pikeball still broken. Crabs kill you in a single hit. Game doesn't save after cutscenes or loads.

Yeah in retrospect I guess that's about what I should have expected from Wayforward trying to do "difficulty".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Well, it's just gibberish voice acting yeah?

I like jontron's content but I understand why people wouldn't, and it's pretty strange seeing someone of Iranian descent being involved in all this alt-right poo poo but hopefully people who don't like him are able to overlook any gibberish he supplies to yooka laylee

I don't think anyone should support a game that promotes themselves by including a horrible human being in them. It's sort of hard to overlook that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

His Alpha protocol review

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnNkDvBFyVU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I tend to agree with most things Jim Sterling has to say, although I'm quite a bit more forgiving of Nintendo in general because despite so many of their terrible decisions, they have some of the best games in town so I feel like it evens out.

The past 3 Jimquisitions have been pretty great though IMO in terms of calling out lovely indie devs. I mean this latest on is an extra layer of :psyduck: even more so than Digital Homicide somehow

I don't get the Boglin thing though. They're so dumb looking

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think anyone should support a game that promotes themselves by including a horrible human being in them. It's sort of hard to overlook that.

:shrug: We had this discussion earlier in the thread I think (not you and I specifically, we in general) and the consensus seemed to be "if you don't feel comfortable supporting something due to someone you don't like being involved in it, then that is fine, and it is also ok to support something you like in spite of the actions of someone involved in that something."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6d1iFAncc

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I generally agree with him but I find his persona really offputting.

He's the perfect storm of not really being particularly funny or interesting, having a really offputting and unpleasant appearance and manner of speaking made even worse by him trying to own it with his ironic fascism shtick, and being popular enough to cause actual problems by siccing his legion of fans on whatever irks him. His crusade against terrible no-effort games on Steam isn't quite as asinine as, say, TotalBiscuit's framerate police but when he makes videos that millions of people watch about games that like a hundred people own and then use that to pressure Steam to make it harder for legitimate developers to sell their games it comes off as petty and self-serving at best.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Colonel posted:

my children, The Planets, Dianne and Cloud

Lol

The odds that someone has named a human Nanaki and calls them Red XIII as a nickname is not zero.

Or

These are my sons, Richter, Axearmor, and X-X!V''Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If I have twins, male and female, I'm gonna name them arkadios and arcadia >:]

• Locked thread