Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Blurred posted:

Hmmm yeah, but that's not really the issue here. The beliefs of individual people, you are right, are largely irrelevant. If someone chooses to believe in the existence of this or that God, or believe that this or that text was divinely inspired, or believe that this or that holyman is a manifestation of God's power, then that is a matter of little consequence. If all you have is a list of someone's theological or metaphysical beliefs, that's not likely to tell you very much about that person's political beliefs or their ethics more generally. Assholes are equally well represented in all religious (and non-religious) traditions.

So individual theologies do not matter - and I'd even go so far as to say that institutional theologies don't matter so much, either - but what does matter is the invariably negative emergent effects that insitutional religion has on social progress. On all the issues you mentioned, institutional religions are at best of no great help, at worst an active obstacle to progress being made. This is not necessarily a consequence of theology or doctrine - the world's religions have a great many (often conflicting) things to say about all of those issues. The problem, though, is that all religions aspire to be totalising (applicable to all areas of an individual's life) and universalising (imposed upon all of society) and these, inevitably, have led religions always make good friends with the ruling powers and with an interest on preserving the status quo, both of which are obviously anathemas agasint progress. No matter how many good things a religious doctrine teaches, or how many nice things a religious practitioner says, religion is just simply the best tool there is for obscuring people to the need for earthly progress. Historically, the last bastion of every form of bigotry and oppression in every society you care to mention has always been found in the sanctuary of some house of worship.

Exceptions can be given of course, such as the liberation theology that was mentioned earlier. All I need to ask is 1) what the attitude of institutional religions were to such movements and 2) what influence such movements have succeeding in having over mainline versions of the faith. The fact is that liberation theologies - or any other religious movements geared towards social progress - succeed in spite of religious rather than as a consequence of it. Ultimately, the Left should be indifferent to God, but it should definitely be hostile to religion.

I agree with you in the long term on a global scale, but the US has such high religiosity that they need to be folded in or else we would be rolling back progress like crazy.

I feel like any religious bent obscures reality, even if it's something like liberation theology that seems so all around positive. This means people's understanding of what the universe is and what people are is wrong on a foundational level, having a chain effect on perception and decision making.

If humans are to make progress towards word peace, then having the vast majority of people be non-religious almost seems like a prerequisite. Religions promoting peace and tolerance for all people in preaching and in practice are historical exceptions, not the norm.

We should try to phase out religion from the left, but that's a battle for after we have basic equal rights for minorities and LGBTQ (In the U.S. at least).

Spuckuk posted:

We aren't all American here, friendo. Hell, most of tye right in my country aren't religious either.

True, but the op specifically said he was American so I chose examples he would be familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
The Marxist Left, being a creation of and largely a movement of the West, is hostile to Western religion [read: Christianity and Judaism]. This Left is also obsessed with (Western) colonialism as Original Sin and pulls its punches to the point of refusing to criticize or even objectively scrutinize anything categorized as Not Of The West (Other), in a sort of inverted Orientalism.

The result is strident criticism of Christianity, which has largely been neutered as a political and cultural influence in the West. Contrast this with a refusal to criticize religions of the Other, which have not been similarly castrated in civic life, and play a far greater role in retarding progress in their respective societies. It's a creepy form of fetishization, and dehumanizing of those deemed to be Other.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean ultimately, leftism tends to be concerned with material issues, whereas religion tends to be concerned with moral or spiritual ones.

Which means there's a degree of conflict that's sort of inevitable when religion leads people to put secondary importance on the material in favour of the moral or spiritual.

To the extent that religion informs people's position on the material it can be concordant with the poltiical left, but to the degree both that it encourages people to dismiss the material and that it promotes a material position contrary to the left, it's going to be in conflict.

It is certainly easier for religion to be in conflict with the left than in concert with it, but it is not an inherent issue with it.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Aren't material issues ultimately moral ones? I mean, I can define "Caring about water access for Native tribes" as a material issue, but is the ultimate drive not a moral one? Is there any situation where a moral issue doesn't have some material consequence?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Axelgear posted:

Aren't material issues ultimately moral ones? I mean, I can define "Caring about water access for Native tribes" as a material issue, but is the ultimate drive not a moral one? Is there any situation where a moral issue doesn't have some material consequence?

I suppose I am arguing consequentialism vs rule-based ethics.

Religion trends towards rule-based and the rules tend to be what they are because they've always been that. While, say, Marx would probably be a rather strong consequentialist.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
That is a better description, yes.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Is being hostile of religion's hostilities hostile of religion?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Individual rights and freedoms are very much one of the core tenants of being a liberal, on the "Left".

Religions tend to like to poo poo a lot on individual rights and freedoms, see particularly LGBTQ and how many religions treat have treated women.

Seeing as Religions are directly opposed to many of the core tenants of the political left, the left should be hostile to religion.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

i am harry posted:

Is being hostile of religion's hostilities hostile of religion?

If i've learned anything this past year+ a racist being called a racist is the worst racism ever, and you can twist that to imply that yes you're god drat hostile to religion and you should feel bad

(don't)

There's lots of good religious dudes out there that are cognizant of not having to take the bad parts of religion with the good parts, but they are drowned out at large by vocal aspects which are largely negative

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

Individual rights and freedoms are very much one of the core tenants of being a liberal, on the "Left".

Religions tend to like to poo poo a lot on individual rights and freedoms, see particularly LGBTQ and how many religions treat have treated women.

Seeing as Religions are directly opposed to many of the core tenants of the political left, the left should be hostile to religion.

How is this any different from following civic law? True, we have Anarchists on the Left but by and large I think most people agree a State is necessary to some extent.

So, say, the law says no murdering people. That's a restriction on your freedom to murder people which of course is a rule or law in many religions too.

Any organization in power restricts rights and freedoms is my point. There's absolutely nothing unique about religion in this regard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BattleMoose posted:

Individual rights and freedoms are a major source of the difference between liberalism and the left.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think a generalised hostility to religion on the left is a really bad thing to have. Churches, mosques and temples are excellent organising spaces, form the centrepieces of a lot of communities and often work on charitable outreach to the poor and needy in their vicinity. What leftists should be doing is getting involved in religious organisations and turning them towards socially redeeming and progressive causes. A church need only be as reactionary as its congregation.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My biggest problem with religion right now is that reading thousands of years old religious texts and trying to apply them to modern day issues is stupid. As far as offering community and things like that I think religion can be good, but maybe there are better ways societies can offer community than religion also.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

How is this any different from following civic law? True, we have Anarchists on the Left but by and large I think most people agree a State is necessary to some extent.

So, say, the law says no murdering people. That's a restriction on your freedom to murder people which of course is a rule or law in many religions too.

Any organization in power restricts rights and freedoms is my point. There's absolutely nothing unique about religion in this regard.

Many freedoms should be restricted, ie, we don't have the freedom to murder people. This restriction applies to all people, independent of sexual orientation or gender.

Religion likes to gently caress over particular subsets of society in particular. See again, LGBTQ people and how there are many restrictions and laws against these people specifically. If no one could marry that would be fine. If everyone could marry that would also be fine. But its because of religion that there is so much resistance to a particular subset of society from marrying. There are many very much more serious consequences for LGBTQ people in other places of the world and for women also.

If religions treated people equally there wouldn't be an issue, but it doesn't, it likes to gently caress over specific subsets of society, just for funsies. This must not be tolerated.

People deserve to be treated equally and religions need to respect this.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 7, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the religious apologist would probably argue that everyone is equally obligated not to do gay stuff.

I don't really think that is well characterized as an equality issue. People deserve to be happy, and may have unequal requirements to facilitate that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 7, 2017

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the religious apologist would probably argue that everyone is equally obligated not to do gay stuff.

I don't really think that is well characterized as an equality issue. People deserve to be happy, and may have unequal requirements to facilitate that.

Not being able to marry your partner and seek the legal protections and social recognition that comes with that is absolutely an equality issue. As in, some groups get to do this and other groups cannot. These groups are not equal. This has nothing to do with "unequal requirements", the requirements are the same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which again highlights the conflict between consequential and rule based ethics. One could believe that people are either equally obligated to follow the rules or equally entitled to a particular outcome. Different rules produce the same outcome, the same rules produce different outcomes.

Framing it as just an "equality" issue without addressing that conflict is rather reductionist.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

In my experience religion is used as a blunt hammer to justify policy that has no factual basis for existing. So as a statist I am rather inclined to discount it's value in policy making. The thread premise is rather like asking, "Would a farmer from Kansas be a useful source for expertise on Salmon management?"

Despite many trying to insist to the contrary, politics is of the world of men, and trying to imply otherwise is an attempt to "Argumentum Verecundia"

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

One could believe that people are either equally obligated to follow the rules or equally entitled to a particular outcome.
Framing it as just an "equality" issue without addressing that conflict is rather reductionist.

Or we could have rules that don't deliberately exclude people.

Allowing adults independent of gender to marry, is the same rule for all, with same outcome for all. Bam, equality.

Basically when we have rules that apply differently dependent on gender, sexual orientation or race, just don't do that.

I don't even know why you are going down this side track.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Religion is a poison in the sense that it tends to reward illogical thought, and any kind of logical conclusion tends to reward communist thought, so it's no accident that there is a tension between religion and "the left" insofar as it actually is "the left" and not what America considers "the left," which is actually a right-center position. Insofar as they're based on actual argumentation, so-called religious positions aren't, and insofar as they're based on mystic garbage, they aren't intelligible to anyone who doesn't already subscribe to the same crystal ball readings and astrological horseshit. The only proper response to anyone espousing any kind of religious dogma in the public sphere is derision, just as the only proper response to anyone espousing any kind of capitalist dogma in the public sphere is to recognize the deadly self-interest inherent in it and react with force in kind. It should be no surprise to anyone that capitalists, like religionists, are adept at fooling themselves because Western religions are set up to be abused by the wealthy.

If you need religion to come to a leftist conclusion, you aren't a very good leftist.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

TheImmigrant posted:

The Marxist Left, being a creation of and largely a movement of the West, is hostile to Western religion [read: Christianity and Judaism]. This Left is also obsessed with (Western) colonialism as Original Sin and pulls its punches to the point of refusing to criticize or even objectively scrutinize anything categorized as Not Of The West (Other), in a sort of inverted Orientalism.

The result is strident criticism of Christianity, which has largely been neutered as a political and cultural influence in the West. Contrast this with a refusal to criticize religions of the Other, which have not been similarly castrated in civic life, and play a far greater role in retarding progress in their respective societies. It's a creepy form of fetishization, and dehumanizing of those deemed to be Other.
Christianity is uniquely vile but you are correct that there is a definite hesitance to call attention to the worst aspects of all world religions, each of which are uniquely abhorrent to anyone with a conscience. The problem is our recent history of invading largely Muslim nations, leading those soupy idiots on the American left to lionize the also-idiotic and harmful religion of those we subjugated. Just another example of American leftists not really being leftists at all.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
We harmed Islamic nations, therefore we have to defend Islam - a group of people so unfamiliar with logical thought that they should be slapped if they called themselves leftists, let alone Marxists

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BattleMoose posted:

Or we could have rules that don't deliberately exclude people.

Allowing adults independent of gender to marry, is the same rule for all, with same outcome for all. Bam, equality.

Basically when we have rules that apply differently dependent on gender, sexual orientation or race, just don't do that.

I don't even know why you are going down this side track.

Because the topic of the thread is conflict between religion and leftist politics, which merits an analysis of the different motivations and goals of each?

"Hey why don't you just change all of your rules because my consequentialist ethics say you should and we won't have a problem what's so bad about that?" is completely ignoring the point of religious rules.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean ultimately, leftism tends to be concerned with material issues, whereas religion tends to be concerned with moral or spiritual ones.

How is 'moral' distinct from material? And why are you equating it with spiritual?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

OwlFancier posted:

the point of religious rules.

Which is what, anyways?

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Which is what, anyways?
To be as hardline and hidebound as possible until someone questions you even slightly, then it's to be milquetoast and meaningless as possible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well broadly most of the religions you're likely to have much to do with work on the principle that there's a God and that God wants you to do things a certain way. And that doing things that way will bring you spiritual benefits which far outweigh your material concerns in your day to day life. I assume you're familiar with that concept at least.

So someone who believes that is going to look at the world through that lens. So if you tell them about the importance of equality, they'll probably be more concerned with people's equal ability to follow those divinely inspired rules and receive their spiritual reward.

The concept of material equality of outcome is not the same as just the concept of "equality", it's quite specific and requires a quite specific worldview in order to derive from just the concept of "equality".

Some religious traditions do adopt a more liberation focused materialist position but not all. However I would venture that that... interventionist tradition is probably still motivated by moral rules, not consequentialist ethics.

Essentially it is quite possible to approach a practical leftist platform from either consequentialism or rule-based ethics, even religiously motivated ones. It depends really on the specific beliefs you hold. The primary religious opposition to leftism is far more found in the prosperity gospel types than anything else and that's not a problem with them being religious, it's a problem that adherents of that ideology are adopting a deliberately constructed religiously themed post-hoc justification for conservative politics.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 7, 2017

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

Well broadly most of the religions you're likely to have much to do with work on the principle that there's a God and that God wants you to do things a certain way. And that doing things that way will bring you spiritual benefits which far outweigh your material concerns in your day to day life. I assume you're familiar with that concept at least.

So, an insane person then? How do I reason with such a person?

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
How do I argue with someone who is chasing spiritual benefits, when that's all they care about and I'm not god, so I can't manifest any argument that's going to supersede those spiritual benefits? Do you want me to cover myself with chicken blood when I ask them to treat unbelievers as people?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zh1 posted:

How do I argue with someone who is chasing spiritual benefits, when that's all they care about and I'm not god, so I can't manifest any argument that's going to supersede those spiritual benefits? Do you want me to cover myself with chicken blood when I ask them to treat unbelievers as people?

I don't know, how do you reason with someone who has no moral absolutes and is clearly one step away from murdering everyone around them if the fancy takes them because what would inhibit them?

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know, how do you reason with someone who has no moral absolutes and is clearly one step away from murdering everyone around them if the fancy takes them because what would inhibit them?

I'm asking you how to argue with insane people

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I'm a practicing Catholic and a leftist.The "left" is only hostile to religion because some "leftists" choose to adopt hostile attitudes.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Another of many thousands of case studies in how religious people and their defenders can't even follow along

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

Sinnlos posted:

I'm a practicing Catholic and a leftist.The "left" is only hostile to religion because some "leftists" choose to adopt hostile attitudes.

You are only one of the two of those!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zh1 posted:

I'm asking you how to argue with insane people

And I'm trying to suggest that perhaps utilizing a degree of non-consequentialist ethics isn't actually a form of completely alienating insanity.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Well, YOU sure aren't a leftist!

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

And I'm trying to suggest that perhaps utilizing a degree of non-consequentialist ethics isn't actually a form of completely alienating insanity.

How do I argue with someone when I don't share their view of the creator, if we're going to allow creator-inspired arguments into the fold? Easy question.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
See how easily the religious retreat into the old "well all people are really irrational at the end of the day" canard? This shouldn't be so easy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zh1 posted:

How do I argue with someone when I don't share their view of the creator, if we're going to allow creator-inspired arguments into the fold? Easy question.

The same way you argue with anybody who doesn't share 100% of your premises...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

zh1 posted:

See how easily the religious retreat into the old "well all people are really irrational at the end of the day" canard? This shouldn't be so easy

We are all perfectly rational actors, which is why Libertarianism is a coherent and practicable ideology with zero flaws.

• Locked thread