Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

are you suggesting lowtax wouldn't spring for a full stack team of 10x rockstars?

lowatax will need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
come spring lowtax will need all our help working the bitfields

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

George posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

NICE!

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I never understood what seems so clever to people about packing flags into bits in database integer columns. I've seen people at my last 4 jobs all do it and you could tell they were quite pleased with their cunning solution. one of them even gave a demo about how they used an integer to store a days of the month calendar you see because the longest month has 31 days and there are 32 bits so it's a perfect fit

does any popular flavor of SQL even have bitwise operators

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

AWWNAW posted:

I never understood what seems so clever to people about packing flags into bits in database integer columns. I've seen people at my last 4 jobs all do it and you could tell they were quite pleased with their cunning solution. one of them even gave a demo about how they used an integer to store a days of the month calendar you see because the longest month has 31 days and there are 32 bits so it's a perfect fit

uh

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

this man was and is still the CTO

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bitwise math is very cool and good when you're working in a resource constrained system like a microcontroller, but not being a database guy I don't know if it makes any significant difference on big servers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

Bitwise math is very cool and good when you're working in a resource constrained system like a microcontroller, but not being a database guy I don't know if it makes any significant difference on big servers

almost never. the cycles you waste doing the bitwise stuff is generally slower than just having boolean flags or whatever. the i/o isn't a problem because it will likely be fetched and cached at the same time if your architecture doesn't suck.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i thought it was all about disk space, a boolean is a byte on disk
under the best(worst?) case scenario bit packing will cut your storage by 87.5%

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Perplx posted:

yeah, but think about the overall storage volume you're dedicating to settings vs data. if it's not a drop in the bucket there's something really wrong. 87.5% of .5% of your storage is nothing, so just throw a bit more disk at it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also that 1 byte per bit is if you only have 1 bit. sql server stores bits in 1 byte chunks so if you have 8 bit columns in a table that's still only 1 byte of storage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
25-32 bit fields are the same size as 1 int field.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

also that 1 byte per bit is if you only have 1 bit. sql server stores bits in 1 byte chunks so if you have 8 bit columns in a table that's still only 1 byte of storage

nobody cares what sql server does because it's bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sql server is the best.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. like I'm gonna use oracle. what am i, made of money??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
dude, have you heard of mongo?

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Perplx posted:

What is the increase in time/money spent dealing with a code base littered with 'clever' snowflake crap like that that is somehow justified because in theory it could address a probably inconsequential future problem.

In the case of disk space concerns which do you think would be the better approach?

1. Prematurely optimize your code in ways that make it difficult to understand, easy to break, and contribute to stagnating your application for over a decade despite at least hundreds of thousands of dollars in just dev time spent on trying to update it ( ignoring money lost because that dev time couldn't be used for new features and value adds )

2. plan to upgrade to larger disks that have become cheaper by the time disk space could possibly be an issue caused by using up 32 bytes instead of 32 bits.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also in the event that you actually did want to store a bitmask or something, binary is what you want to store it in, not a loving int.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dude, have you heard of mongo?

yeah, I heard it was bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mongo is web scale

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

sql server licensing is lol and so is using windows server to run it for anything that requires uptime

thank god microsoft loves linux and is finally porting it to a real server operating system at least

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
uptime? what is this 1997?

you know clustering is a thing in windows right?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

uptime? what is this 1997?

you know clustering is a thing in windows right?

loling at the matrix of windows and sql licenses required to do that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mishaq posted:

Shaggar posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

theres no reason not to have windows datacenter and sql enterprise so who cares

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

also in the event that you actually did want to store a bitmask or something, binary is what you want to store it in, not a loving int.

lol if you distinguish between types like that instead of seeing everything as a field of bits and dereferencing everywhere

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
thanks, bits

thits

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

lol if you distinguish between types like that instead of seeing everything as a field of bits and dereferencing everywhere

I don't even see the code anymore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people who store bitfields in databases are spergs that are disturbed by the idea of "wasting" bytes and have a fundamental misunderstanding of databases. database fields should be stored in a way the RDBMS can sort, filter, order, and update on them. bitfields are the opposite of this. and if the DB is going to build an index on the field, which it should if you're selecting on it, it's already going to use much more than a byte per row. bitfields also can't have rational triggers and can't be updated without read-modify-write.

so if you see someone storing bitfields in a database, piss in their coffee

pram
Jun 10, 2001
someone mentioned booleans in the discussion area on the blog re: him explaining his retarded bitfield poo poo on TEAMBERRY DOT COM or whatever

he basically was like 'LOL i bet youre storing the string 'false' in the DB get outta here ya fuckin noob'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in college i had to take a "media arts programming" class (or something like that) where you had to do a variety of different projects on different topics, with your choice of programming language and platform

one week the topic was "databases and data storage" and i didn't know poo poo all about real dbs so i made a two-axis "robot arm" out of some servomotors glued together, tapped the potentiometers, hooked it up to an arduino, and wrote some code to let you program a motion by swinging the arm around and recording the pot values, then play that motion back on the servos. like how those fancy industrial robots are programmed by having a human do the motions with the arm and then the robot mimics it.

i had 512 bytes of EEPROM so i could store up to a 5-second motion path. i got an A on the project.

to this day that's the extent of my "database" experience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: no that's not quite right, i did do a little bit of mysql to implement a word filter on a project where people were able to text in phrases that would be projected on a public wall. amazingly the filter stood up for almost 14 hours before people figured out how to sneak stuff past it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no one cares

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
The do nothing rickety shitbarge option is looking more appealing

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I still dont get what the difficulty is with porting the archives. like whats the big deal, that seems like maybe the most trivial part of the entire concept of launching on a new platform. i dont know poo poo about poo poo, help.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

ETL is the hardest problem in computer science and won't be solved for another decade

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the archives is like 95% garbage poo poo posts and what isn't is in the goldmines. the only reason anyone would reasonably see losing the archives as a show-stopper is if they wanted to be able to dig through people's post histories for more wank material for the offsites.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Aren't the archives broken anyway and posts havent been getting archived for a couple years now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I still dont get what the difficulty is with porting the archives. like whats the big deal, that seems like maybe the most trivial part of the entire concept of launching on a new platform. i dont know poo poo about poo poo, help.

iirc it's a combination of archived post syntax being scattered across lots of incremental changes, so a straight import would result in a ton of unreadable garbage

mlyp

• Locked thread