Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So I got both pins for Red XIII and figured I should level him up then. Thing is, I've always been kind of confused about how to gear him? Mostly I ever just used him for break skills, as he seemed to be a pretty mediocre mage for someone with 4* in it. Granted, a lot of that had to do with the fact that he can't use rods or any other typical magic stat weapon. The pins seem ok in that regard as they give magic, but I'm struggling to make sense of what role he could have in my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So I got both pins for Red XIII and figured I should level him up then. Thing is, I've always been kind of confused about how to gear him? Mostly I ever just used him for break skills, as he seemed to be a pretty mediocre mage for someone with 4* in it. Granted, a lot of that had to do with the fact that he can't use rods or any other typical magic stat weapon. The pins seem ok in that regard as they give magic, but I'm struggling to make sense of what role he could have in my party.

He's a bit of an oddball. He can dive for Black 5* and be a halfway competent mage, but really you'd usually want him for his Support 5 stuff or for status stuff (Stop, Sleep, Confuse, etc).

Being limited to hair accessories, as well as hair accessories being close-range, hampers him a bit even in comparison to Barret and Cait Sith.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I know Barret is supposed to be terrible but I'm actually pretty happy I got his Pentabreak. I'm just running around with his Pentabreak/Full Break/X Breakdown for whatever, and he's perfectly competent so far. Also, weirdly, he seems to be leveling up way faster than everyone else and I can't figure out why. Are his level up thresholds lower than others?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

KataraniSword posted:

He's a bit of an oddball. He can dive for Black 5* and be a halfway competent mage, but really you'd usually want him for his Support 5 stuff or for status stuff (Stop, Sleep, Confuse, etc).

Being limited to hair accessories, as well as hair accessories being close-range, hampers him a bit even in comparison to Barret and Cait Sith.

Yeah, I pretty much only ever used him for Support. It's just all this other stuff about him seems to be saying "mage" and I'm not feeling it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he's one of my favs from FF7 and I'm pretty psyched to have a reason to put him on my team again.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Do we have an idea when the fest banner previews are going up?

e: datamined, that is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

His BSB allows him to be a competent Mage support - Command 2 for the Mental Breakdown, then use Chaingas if someone else is fielding your Break options.

Otherwise, just use him as a Support with some nice boosting power. He does have some cute niches - for instance, the upcoming FFII Torment has all the trash vulnerable to Petrify, and Red's the only Full Breaker that can use Break other than Tyro.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I know Barret is supposed to be terrible but I'm actually pretty happy I got his Pentabreak. I'm just running around with his Pentabreak/Full Break/X Breakdown for whatever, and he's perfectly competent so far. Also, weirdly, he seems to be leveling up way faster than everyone else and I can't figure out why. Are his level up thresholds lower than others?

His EXP was bugged a while ago and I can't recall why, but the short form is "yes, he levels up faster than most people, it wasn't intentional".

The thing about Support 5/Dancer 5 is that it's such a stable skillset - a Breakdown plus Full Break and the only things that differentiate characters in the role is, in rough order of importance, "how good are their SBs", "do they have a ranged weapon" and "what else can they do if you already have breakdown support".

In Barret's case, it's not much - slinging around a few status effects via BLK 1 and MCH 4 is about the extent, really. Contrast Cait Sith (who can pinch hit as a bard/summoner/white mage if he's not dancing) or Red (who can be an okayish mage in a pinch) in his own realm. However, unlike Red, he can use ranged weaponry (either his gunarms or non-arm-based guns).

He's not a bad character if you have a good SB for him - just like any other Support 5 character - it's just that he doesn't bring too much to stand out from the crowd without his SBs and that not all of his SBs are good. (We don't talk about Vanilla Grenade Bomb, and Satellite Beam is only useful for lightning teams)

2 SPOOKY posted:

Next maintenance; I'm not sure when exactly that is but it should be some time this week.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Barret was pretty meh for a long time, but with Sharpshooter 5 he's perfectly competent. (He gets this in JP in a few months). The big issue with him is his garbage equipment access.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

2 SPOOKY posted:

Even with the normal maintenance we don't usually get these until a couple days before the anniversary event itself.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

KataraniSword posted:

Next maintenance; I'm not sure when exactly that is but it should be some time this week.

I think I read somewhere (the subreddit maybe?) it's the 14th. I was hoping to squeeze another dungeon update in before then but no such luck, it seems.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Barret was pretty meh for a long time, but with Sharpshooter 5 he's perfectly competent. (He gets this in JP in a few months). The big issue with him is his garbage equipment access.

He's not really any worse than Irvine or Sazh. His problem is mainly that his SBs are lackluster - at least Irvine gets a fantastic BSB and Sazh has lots of versatility.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Pulled on the second VII banner, hoping to get a relic for Cloud's HOT ASIAN GIRLFRIEND.

Only got one 5*, Aerith/is's rod. :negative:

I'm imagining Squall comforting Cloud, telling him that Rinoa dosen't have any Relics either.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

He's not really any worse than Irvine or Sazh. His problem is mainly that his SBs are lackluster - at least Irvine gets a fantastic BSB and Sazh has lots of versatility.

Barret does eventually get a Faris/Wakka-tier BSB - Full Breakdown entry, Power and Magic Breakdown commands - but the keyword there is "eventually". As in "he literally only got it in Japan this week". During the same event that a third(!) Support 5 character gets added to FF7's roster, along with her penta-break BSB.

DeNA doesn't give very much love to Barret.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 7, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, unfortunately Barret's BSB is pretty squarely 1.5st generation BSB (it's just AOE full breakdown + damage with two-hit single break commands), while Shelke's BSB is an amazing 2nd or even 3rd generation BSB (instant cast AOE pentabreak + damage, with 1 hit quick cast single break commands).

Barret is, unfortunately, just pretty terrible all around.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sazh at least WAS really good at one point. Mainly because he was the only way to get Boon, and he and Red XIII were the only Hastegas for a decent while. Also his default SB was a single-target Boost effect, which was relevant in the days prior to Shout. Irvine has never really been good, though at least he was the only Support 5 in VIII, and one of the first few ranged supports available in the game at all. By the time Barret showed up, there were lots of other ranged supports in the game, and he was already overshadowed in his own realm by Red XIII, and on top of that we were getting to the point in the game where good SB's started mattering a lot more and you wanted everyone on the team to have one, not just 1-2 people. So yeah, Barret has just never had an opportunity to shine. Oh and he has an EXP bug for some reason.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Irvine had his time in the spotlight with Vit0. If you got his Fast Ammo SB he was the best DPS in the game.

Then they patched that out and welp.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

Sazh at least WAS really good at one point. Mainly because he was the only way to get Boon, and he and Red XIII were the only Hastegas for a decent while. Also his default SB was a single-target Boost effect, which was relevant in the days prior to Shout.

In addition to Boon, he's also got a 30% Faithga+Protectga+High Regen SSB and a 50% Boostga (Shout level!) + Mblink SSB. Sazh may not be quite as complete a package as Ramza can be, but if you have outside Hastega support (OK BSB, as one example) then he's still good and relevant as a Support character if you grabbed his relics; his only really "bad" SB is Caltrop Bomb.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was hoping to have a Cid's Mission team ready for VII but I don't think its going to happen (no relics//no more eggs to get Aerith up). I took down Ultimate Hojo, but currently am trying to work out the best way to tackle Rufus.

Right now for the event I'm running Cloud (nothing special other than Full Charge), Tifa (BSB, Lifesiphon,Tempo), Cid (Shout, Big Brawl), Barrett (Pentabreak/Full Break/Power Breakdown), and Selphie (Curaja/Protectga). Not sure how to slot in Dispel besides swapping Cloud out for Seifer. Which might not be a bad idea since Cloud doesn't have much other than synergy going for him, and Seifer can use Banishing Strike (and a bunch of different soulbreaks, including another ATK boost that stacks with Cid).

Actually I'm kind of thinking of just swapping out Cloud and Tifa for Seifer and Raijin at this point since they're at equivalent levels but have much better gear/SBs. The synergy boost probably doesn't outweigh the better soul breaks.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, unfortunately Barret's BSB is pretty squarely 1.5st generation BSB (it's just AOE full breakdown + damage with two-hit single break commands), while Shelke's BSB is an amazing 2nd or even 3rd generation BSB (instant cast AOE pentabreak + damage, with 1 hit quick cast single break commands).

Barret is, unfortunately, just pretty terrible all around.

What the gently caress is a Shelke, you just made this character up right

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

The Mattybee posted:

Isn't that from Xenoblade?? :D

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I currently am trying to work out the best way to tackle Rufus.

Taunt+retaliate neuters a good amount of Rufus' attacks. Dark Nation seems to ignore it, but by himself he's not much of a threat. Biggest deal he brings is Haste, which I only saw him cast once. A record-dived Cloud can take care of that, although you still have to solve bringing a source of dispel.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hilariously, for a second time, I've killed a U+ boss with the Seifer BSB damage reflect, and Mastered it. :shepface:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I don't do the Raid fights very often but Sephiroth seemed really easy? Might just be the piles of FF7 synergy everyone seems to have

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I cleared Sephiroth Apoc last night in two tries. Probably could've done it in the first try but a DPS died really early. Also, people rely way too much on lovely Clouds in FFVII realms (they didn't have his BSB2).

FFXIV is the best Raid realm. Minfilia and Y'shtola (and Alphinaud) are so ridiculously good if you have their major relics. Wall, Asylum, Last Stand, Support 5, White Magic 4 (on Minfilia) make them so versatile. The Echo's a pretty solid BSB too.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Mattybee posted:

She's from Dirge of Cerberus (and World of Final Fantasy).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Seph is super easy unless you get unlucky and he decides to do his "reduce someone to 1 hp and then immediately follow it up with an AoE attack" thing. My first run he did that 3 times, and we still almost won, but one of the people that died was our Wall source and the AoE started piling up. Second time was a breeze.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Zurai posted:

She's from Dirge of Cerberus (and World of Final Fantasy).

Vincent loli fanfiction doesn't count.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Vincent loli fanfiction doesn't count.

Please tell me that's not actually a real loving thing

Who am I kidding of course it is

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

UHD posted:

Please tell me that's not actually a real loving thing

Who am I kidding of course it is
I won't doubt it but I believe it is a joke about Dirge of Cerberus's quality and Shelke's Nomura-designed role in it. Long story short, she's 19 but Shinra(/Deepground) experiments left her body physically stunted like a 9-year-old's, and then in the course of the game she absorbs some of Lucrecia's consciousness (you know, the woman Vincent held a torch for that led to him getting stuck in a coffin).

So sorry to have ruined the incredible twist to Dirge of Cerberus, now you'll never want to play that game. What a shame.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Dirge of Cerberus is amazingly stupid, and if you want to know just how bad it gets, The Dark Id LP'ed it a while back

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Oh god, ok I remember that LP now

that was really creepy

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Seph is super easy unless you get unlucky and he decides to do his "reduce someone to 1 hp and then immediately follow it up with an AoE attack" thing. My first run he did that 3 times, and we still almost won, but one of the people that died was our Wall source and the AoE started piling up. Second time was a breeze.

Yeah on one of the runs we did from the Discord this ended up happening to Aerith. Sephiroth literally stabbed her in the back and we had to lay her down in the water. She hadn't even learned her last limit break yet.... so sad.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Hogama posted:

I won't doubt it but I believe it is a joke about Dirge of Cerberus's quality and Shelke's Nomura-designed role in it. Long story short, she's 19 but Shinra(/Deepground) experiments left her body physically stunted like a 9-year-old's, and then in the course of the game she absorbs some of Lucrecia's consciousness (you know, the woman Vincent held a torch for that led to him getting stuck in a coffin).

So sorry to have ruined the incredible twist to Dirge of Cerberus, now you'll never want to play that game. What a shame.

Pretty much. And while never outright stated, it's heavily implied that Shelke begins to harbor feelings for Vincent after she absorbs Lucrecia's consciousness, as some kind of side effect of having her memories. Whereas Vincent begins to see her as a sort of second chance at saving the love of his life. It's all as creepy and uncomfortable as it sounds.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Am i the only person getting an error trying to fight the torment dungeon hunks

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I'm getting an error too.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

superloosegoose posted:

Am i the only person getting an error trying to fight the torment dungeon hunks

:f5:
:same:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The u++ battle was surprisingly tough to beat. Took a few party tweaks. That loving ball attack is the problem. You really need to stack the magic rebuffs early, because RNG really fucks you up when he decides to throw 2+ of them at one character at 3000 damage per ball which seems to ignore res. I found that I basically had to triple stack the magic debuffs to guarantee character survival. Aside from that it was pretty easy to DPS him in time using RW Raines.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

The u++ battle was surprisingly tough to beat. Took a few party tweaks. That loving ball attack is the problem. You really need to stack the magic rebuffs early, because RNG really fucks you up when he decides to throw 2+ of them at one character at 3000 damage per ball which seems to ignore res. I found that I basically had to triple stack the magic debuffs to guarantee character survival. Aside from that it was pretty easy to DPS him in time using RW Raines.

It doesn't ignore RES but it does hurt pretty bad. I recommend using lightning resist accessories if you have them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

flowinprose posted:

It doesn't ignore RES but it does hurt pretty bad. I recommend using lightning resist accessories if you have them.

Edited: I was wrong, wall works fine.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So how bad is this Torment dungeon? The other realms were hard enough, but I've got zip for II synergy so this is probably gonna be rough.

Still have to figure out how to tackle the X event, too. I want those thief motes :argh: All the people with Tidus' OSB make it look so easy. I might try RWing it again, since last time I didn't realize he went into a freakout weakness mode and used them early on, when he isn't really much of a threat. Might be able to take him down if I wait until he starts going apeshit to use them.

• Locked thread