Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alex is a hardcore badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Weather stuff is muting all the dialogue now but Alex is kicking so much rear end

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
At this point, I can't help but wonder if Alex will be stuck in space for the next few episodes. Probably not though, as there are still ~10 minutes of the episode left to restore the status quo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay that scene was awesome. Episode rules.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hey, look at that, Mon-El being supportive.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how this show is bringing back journalism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wow. I know it was joked about that the CatCo was officially vestigial to the show, but I did not expect them to just pull the pin and actually jettison it completely. Just as well, because Kara was a fantastically lovely reporter.

I'm kind of bemused about how much of this season has been dedicated to subtly making GBS threads on Cat Grant in absentia. Like literally the last thing she did before she hosed off to nowhere was give Kara her job and go "you were born to do this," and within less than six months Kara loses that job and destroys any prospect of ever getting another job in that field, thereby making Cat look like a terrible judge of character and potential.

You think this is the production crew passive-aggressively sticking it to Calista Flockhart for telling them to gently caress off, she wasn't moving to Vancouver to keep doing the show?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do you always go to such dark places with minimal info?
THAT'S WHAT SAPPER WAS TALKING ABOUT!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I thought James was in charge of CatCo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

James is in charge of the whole media conglomerate. Snapper is in charge of the newspaper that may or may not actually be a magazine, they're a little fuzzy on that, and reports to James.

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow. I know it was joked about that the CatCo was officially vestigial to the show, but I did not expect them to just pull the pin and actually jettison it completely. Just as well, because Kara was a fantastically lovely reporter.

Kara's not done being a reporter, she'll most likely get the job back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like she's gonna become more of a Blogger for the time being.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's the same issue they keep running into with Iris West on the Flash (well, one of them), in that they keep putting her up against a real journalist who wants hard facts and corroborative sources, and of course because she's the hero she knows that she's right and wants to publish the truth, but she just doesn't have the kind of support that a regular reporter would need. I think the audience is supposed to take her side because we get to observe events directly, but in every case I'm internally yelling "no, you can't just accept it at face value because we know Supergirl is telling the truth." I'm not sure why they can't be a little more mature about it -- have her recognize that just because she knows something doesn't mean she's able to meet a reputable paper's standards of proof, and she needs to work harder to find real evidence she can use.

VVV: yeah, exactly!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I feel like this show keeps trying to make Snapper out to be the bad guy but all I see is him being a great editor-in-chief and just doing his job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Maybe being Supergirl and having you is enough."

drat IT KARA YOU JUST JINXED HIM.

Also seriously depressed by Teri Hatcher's face.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

I feel like this show keeps trying to make Snapper out to be the bad guy but all I see is him being a great editor-in-chief and just doing his job.

Yeah, Snapper is a world class rear end in a top hat on a personal level, but he's also one of the best Newspaper Editor characters I've seen in fiction in a long while because he's fantastic at his actual job.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 7, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I thought the last few episodes were kinda weak, like they were first-drafts, but tonight's was solid.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

You were definitely supposed to be sympathetic to his rant against fake news getting fascists elected.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

Maybe I just like the character too much, but I don't get that sense at all. He comes across more to me like the demanding boss who holds Kara to a high standard because he knows she can attain it, and will be better at her job for it.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Jimmy fondly remembering when he had screentime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Licarn posted:

Jimmy fondly remembering when he had screentime.

:lol: That was the best part of this episode. Guardian rushes to the rescue and saves Alex! ...in the backgound... out of focus... and in a dark alley... Okay, bye Jimmy! See you next week... maybe :buddy:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought the whole newspaper thing was really dumb but for the simple question of why the heck do they need to publish this incredibly vital information in a loving fashion magazine article? The DEO is a clandestine operation but they're still government-affiliated; just have the military release the information! Heck, Supergirl herself can just announce what she knows on Youtube and literally everyone would believe her!

Still, this episode was saved by how badass Alex was. That part where it seemed like Alex was bluffing about the explosives and Lillian was smugly calling her on the bluff and then it turns out lol Alex really did plant bombs everywhere is going to go down as one of my favorite moments of this show.

e: Oh, and take a shot. If we omit the last-second teaser of the Daxamites, this is going down as the fifth episode in a row that's ended with Kara and Mon-El having an apartment powwow. :doom: I'm not gonna let this go, all.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 7, 2017

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I love how CatCo magazine somehow has a "front page" to put a story on, despite the fact that we see a standee of the cover and it's your standard fashion magazine cover with a model and some floating headlines. And apparently it's also National City's "paper of record"? Is it a magazine or a newspaper? Make up your minds!

If they just modelled it on something like The Atlantic or even the New Yorker it would work. Then it would be a magazine with a focus on in-depth investigative reporting and features which works with the kinds of stories Kara wants to write, instead of this bewildering mish-mash of daily news and monthly fashion mag.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snapper owns. J'onn owns. Alex owns.

"You're the only superman we need" :v:

Lois and Hercules looking evil as gently caress :ohdear: Didn't Mon-El mention that his dad was a dick / dictator? Also probably loved slavery or at least Mon-El himself didn't like it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah Mon-El's folks are totally gonna go all "Kneel before Zod" on everyone the second they realize they have super powers now.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's gonna be hard to take them seriously as a threat, when all you have to do is shoot them in the leg to incapacitate them.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

BrianWilly posted:

I thought the whole newspaper thing was really dumb but for the simple question of why the heck do they need to publish this incredibly vital information in a loving fashion magazine article? The DEO is a clandestine operation but they're still government-affiliated; just have the military release the information! Heck, Supergirl herself can just announce what she knows on Youtube and literally everyone would believe her!

Supergirl could have dropped in on a live news broadcast, said her piece and flew away again. News channels would have played the clip on repeat for days.

Maybe Kara's just a massive egotist and wanted to break the story under her own name.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I want Kara to get her job back only to get fired again when Snapper works out that Kara is Supergirl.

"Using yourself as a source is grossly unethical. We're the Fourth Estate not Yahoo Answers. Even Wikipedia has higher standards. You're no better than Juan Thompson."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Can't complain about a Alexcentric episode so that was real good. My only question was where the hell are they sending the aliens and how the hell does Cadmus have a loving spaceship that's insane.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Can't complain about a Alexcentric episode so that was real good. My only question was where the hell are they sending the aliens and how the hell does Cadmus have a loving spaceship that's insane.

It sounded like they were just shooting the aliens at the nearest inhabited planet and letting them figure it out when they got there. This is, of course, not meant to mirror any real-world policies....

They did mention Takron-Galtos, which was the Legion's prison planet in the comics.

I have to wonder if there was any tension over the fact that the writing staff clearly has no problem filling the script with lefty messages, while Kevin Sorbo is hardcore right-wing. We'll see if the Daxamite king has anything to say about health care reform next week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

I have to wonder if there was any tension over the fact that the writing staff clearly has no problem filling the script with lefty messages, while Kevin Sorbo is hardcore right-wing.

Dean Cain campaigned for Rick Perry in 2012.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I suspect Kara will probably get her job back whenever they can wrangle Calista Flockhart back for an appearance. Gotta employ that sweet, sweet nepotism.

Licarn posted:

Supergirl could have dropped in on a live news broadcast, said her piece and flew away again. News channels would have played the clip on repeat for days.
It's not even like it was such an outrageous unbelievable story! "Terrorists who have been caught doing terrorism about to do some more, according to person whose job is literally to stop them." She ain't leaking White House phone calls!

It's still just ridiculous that they needed to go to Catco to get this out. Forget even having Supergirl or the military release this information; why can't the police just tell people?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not really Kara/Lena, but Lord have mercy

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
So a direct shot at the deportation issue AND the media's culpability in electing Trump? A little on the nose, but hard to hate an episode with Alex kicking absurd amounts of rear end and looking good doing it.

Also funny they stole a direct quote from Lois and Clark in an episode with both Lois and Clark appearing on screen. "Supergirl is what I can do; Kara is who I am." That was straight out of the old 90s show.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I'm not really Kara/Lena, but Lord have mercy

Not to mention this...

Seriously, the writers and actors cannot possibly be unaware of the massive amounts of hints they're tossing out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I suspect Kara will probably get her job back whenever they can wrangle Calista Flockhart back for an appearance. Gotta employ that sweet, sweet nepotism.

It's not even like it was such an outrageous unbelievable story! "Terrorists who have been caught doing terrorism about to do some more, according to person whose job is literally to stop them." She ain't leaking White House phone calls!

It's still just ridiculous that they needed to go to Catco to get this out. Forget even having Supergirl or the military release this information; why can't the police just tell people?

If only Kara and/or James knew or were related to someone who was a respected journalist who worked for a major national newspaper.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

If only Kara and/or James knew or were related to someone who was a respected journalist who worked for a major national newspaper.

Clark would also insist on two verifiable sources before he ran the story. He's that upstanding a journalist.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Does someone have an online link so I can watch yesterday's Supergirl? I had to miss it and now I'm really curious as to what the hell happened with Kara and Catco now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The DEO doesn't officially exist, but they pose as others agencies when necessary.

There's also police reports of disappearances.

There was zero reason why a warning couldn't have been issued through official outlets. It was just a lazy shortcut to move Kara's journalism story along.

There was so much more they could have explored from the immigrant angle for better social commentary. Abuse of watchlists and registries should have been an easy target for this episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Does someone have an online link so I can watch yesterday's Supergirl? I had to miss it and now I'm really curious as to what the hell happened with Kara and Catco now.

CW streams episodes through their website and app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DEO does come off like chumps with very little power. They're secret but not autonomous. Like they had to give Roulette up? ARGUS or SHIELD would have just dissapered her rear end to some black site never seen again, same with Lilian Luther. They know they're bad news, no need for a trial.

And yea its hard to be excited at Kevin Sorbo, becuase he's just been a world class rear end in a top hat in the last few years, whining he can't get any good roles because he's conservative. Putting out God's not Dead which has it's moral if you don't believe in god, you deserve to die horribly.

I figured CatCo being a media conglomerate has a magazine but also a newspaper. It has a TV station too I think.