Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hogmartin posted:

Another good one is bibimbap, make the same sauce and stick it in a ziplock bag with some pork chops for a few hours in the refrigerator, then put them under a broiler. Steam or stir-fry your choice of vegetables, slice the meat thin, serve over rice. A Mr. Bento is pretty handy for taking it to work, since it can keep the rice, vegetables, meat, and side dish separate until you're ready for lunch.

The typical bibimbap sauce made with chilis is also really excellent. It's made with gochujang, a korean fermented pepper paste. It's got the fermented pepper taste kind of like tabasco, but different in its own way and less vinegary. You mix up some gochujang with vinegar/oil/other stuff to make it loose, then add it to the hot rice before serving. Then mix it all up with a spoon and eat.

Tubs can be had at asian groceries, look for a korean section with small tubs about the size of the butter alternative tubs. There's usually a bunch of brown ones (a soy condiment) next to a bunch of red ones (gochujang). Something like $5-$10 for a tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hogmartin posted:

Where do you get replacement wires for cheese slicers? I have one that's about 6" x 8" with no identifying labels or marks, just a slab of marble with a hinged slicer bow thing. It came with 3 spare wires and the last one just popped. Is there a standard size for these things? Are you supposed to make your own wires? Do I need to go digging through years of Amazon purchases to see if the manufacturer sells spares (if they even still exist)?

I've never owned a cheese slicer, but could you literally just go to Home Depot or Guitar Center and buy some wire and attach it yourself?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah just use a high e string.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So is this the post your obscure cooking equipment thread?

My mother had this pan, which she said came from her mother. It's like a bunch of mini bundt cake pans, each with a hole in the center of the metal. Is it for bundt cupcakes? Angel food cupcakes? Some obscure northern european baked good?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

I have a crap stovetop so I just buy ~$10 super basic ones from Ikea. Like Cavenagh said expect to replace them as soon as the teflon starts to flake. Don't use metal utensils on them, don't get the pans smoking hot til you put stuff in them, only clean them with sponges or soft cloths. You get those sponges with the green rough stuff on the back which are all like "TEFLON SAFE". They are loving lying to you. Only use sponges or soft cloths.

If you're like "But I want to spend money for something good" then get a cast iron frypan, season that sucker and learn to love it.

I hear you. But I poo poo you not, that pan looked like it was 10+ years old and it worked flawlessly. Perhaps it did so because it was in a vacation rental where people don't cook do much cooking? Anyway, I'm glad I have not been missing out on anything obvious.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Eeyo posted:

My mother had this pan, which she said came from her mother. It's like a bunch of mini bundt cake pans, each with a hole in the center of the metal. Is it for bundt cupcakes? Angel food cupcakes? Some obscure northern european baked good?

...Donuts

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

We had a pan kind of like this used for making donuts. This is drawing from a >20 year old memory though so I could be wrong. But we definitely made donuts a few times and had some kind of pan for smallish ones like this.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Would you bake the donuts then? I thought donuts were always deep fried.

Edit: huh would you look at that:

http://www.thekitchn.com/oven-baked-doug-160380

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gerblyn posted:

Would you bake the donuts then? I thought donuts were always deep fried.

Edit: huh would you look at that:

http://www.thekitchn.com/oven-baked-doug-160380

If you wanna do the cake-like donuts for the little white powdered sugar ones it probably would come out OK? Even though we had a pan like that I think ours ultimately still got fried. Too long ago to remember it well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

If you wanna do the cake-like donuts for the little white powdered sugar ones it probably would come out OK? Even though we had a pan like that I think ours ultimately still got fried. Too long ago to remember it well.

I bet it's handy for proofing the dough.

In one of the Little House books By Laura Ingalls Wilder, the one about her husband's youth I think, they described frying doughnuts every morning pretty vividly. They'd do the twisty kind of doughnuts as opposed to round hole torus doughnuts because, as they describe, they were easier to make and flipped themselves over for even frying. Is there any truth to that?

Those books were great. Every kid should read those. Even though Rose turned out to be a fanatical libertarian. Still, cool to know that Laura crossed the plains in a covered wagon as a child, but also flew on a commercial airplane flight towards the end of her life. Crazy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

"She was born in 1898 in a barn, she died on the 37th floor of a skyscraper; she's an astronaut."

Seriously though, you should check out the annotated version of her bio, it's pretty god drat amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176/

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
When someone says that Italian food is rustic, what do they mean exactly? Are they saying that it's simple?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

vermin posted:

When someone says that Italian food is rustic, what do they mean exactly? Are they saying that it's simple?

It's probably just marketing, but it would relate to rural/farm settings, like provincial in french cuisine. An appeal to authenticity and tradition and whatever else you associate with rough-hewn peasant folk.

Edit: "Rustic" reminds me of "bistro" in that they are both terms that have a denotation related to "simple, modest, without pretense" but they're used solely in pretentious, immodest, fussy ways.

moller fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2017

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

vermin posted:

I'd say Italian can either be rustic or refined. All cuisines have rustic versions that just use simple cooking techniques and usually made for families at their home.
e: I'm dumb and read that as someone categorizing all Italian food as rustic, which would be weird.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 8, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Squashy Nipples posted:

"She was born in 1898 in a barn, she died on the 37th floor of a skyscraper; she's an astronaut."

Seriously though, you should check out the annotated version of her bio, it's pretty god drat amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176/

Welp, that's in the shopping cart now.

Re Rustic; It's kinda a way to not say 'peasant food'. Granted, that's often the best food amongst cultures that use spices.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 8, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Got a dehydrator for Christmas, just now getting around to trying it out. I want to make jerky and other cured meat products. Googled a bunch of recipes, got the gist of "slice thin, marinate in your flavor of choice, dehydrate for 6-8 hours". Did that with chicken, and I think I sliced it TOO thin because I got almost potato chip crunchy pieces when I was done, not the chewy and tough but still clearly meat that you expect from jerky.

At least it tastes exactly like I was going for! I used some lemon pepper marinade mix I got somewhere and never got around to using.

I guess my question is, has anyone made chicken or turkey jerky and how do you go about it?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Javid posted:

And I think I sliced it TOO thin because I got almost potato chip crunchy pieces when I was done, not the chewy and tough but still clearly meat that you expect from jerky

I will take your meat potato chips please. That sounds delicious.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Javid posted:

Got a dehydrator for Christmas, just now getting around to trying it out. I want to make jerky and other cured meat products. Googled a bunch of recipes, got the gist of "slice thin, marinate in your flavor of choice, dehydrate for 6-8 hours". Did that with chicken, and I think I sliced it TOO thin because I got almost potato chip crunchy pieces when I was done, not the chewy and tough but still clearly meat that you expect from jerky.

At least it tastes exactly like I was going for! I used some lemon pepper marinade mix I got somewhere and never got around to using.

I guess my question is, has anyone made chicken or turkey jerky and how do you go about it?

What temp is that thing running at? I am not sure I would want to eat chicken salmonella dried out in it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
There's more than one way to kill a bacteria, you know.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Trastion posted:

What temp is that thing running at? I am not sure I would want to eat chicken salmonella dried out in it.

165~

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh boy, it's NOT carbonara.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-make-vegan-pasta-carbonara.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I put sauerkraut juice into my traditional carbonara all the time.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm gonna try not to judge. Maybe mushrooms, yeast, and saurkraut go really well together.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a Vegan cooking show that gets played on the Twitch food channel sometimes and their obsession with trying to recreate real food is weird. And they also never use oils; everything is put into a dry hot pan.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

vermin posted:

I'm gonna try not to judge. Maybe mushrooms, yeast, and saurkraut go really well together.

Yeast can do magical things. Always interested in some of the strange combinations these guys come up with, trying to imitate other ingredients.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My wife bought this when she went on a hippie kick.

Shits good man. I use it like Parmesan.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I buy that stuff in bulk at Winco. The best popcorn topping.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ya that's like straight MSG so it should be great.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Everyone should use nutritional yeast in everything, especially shakshouka.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Nutritional yeast gravy owns. Make a bechamel (if you're going vegan, almond milk and coconut oil work well), add a bunch of nutritional yeast. I use the stuff enough that I store it in a gallon bag.

It's also really great on buttered toast.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

DumbparameciuM posted:

Everyone should use nutritional yeast in everything, especially shakshouka.

yeast extract is like everywhere in processed food

cuz its good

yum!

seriously.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Food science can do basically anything with yeast it's amazing

Like chicken stock cubes are 1% chicken. Only reason is so they can put chicken on the label, the flavor comes entirely from yeast extracts

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Food science can do basically anything with yeast it's amazing

Like chicken stock cubes are 1% chicken. Only reason is so they can put chicken on the label, the flavor comes entirely from yeast extracts

Well that's a relief since that's what's going to make up 90% of our diet after global warming murders our arable land.

What is the collective opinion about Alfredo sauce with a roux and milk vs just butter and cream?

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the only think nutritional yeast is missing is a little bit of saltiness. It's great if you're on a low sodium diet, but if not I'd add a touch of salt.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Chicken jerky update: Checked this batch more diligently and it was the right consistency after about five hours. Gave it ten minutes in the oven at 275 to make absolutely sure it hit temperature all the way through and the results are delicious.

That WAS almost a pound of chicken breast...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I think you could dip them in boiling water for 30 seconds pre-dehydrating to achieve the same effect, as long as you're careful not to cross-contaminate with a cutting board/knife/plate or whatever between the water dip and insertion into the dehydrator.

Edit: this would work because you don't need to heat the inside of the meat to make it safe. All the bad stuff lives on the surface.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

vermin posted:

I mean, the article says his wife tried it without knowing it was fake and she thought it was real. I'm not a huge fan of fake vegan food - just make real food! - but you'd be surprised how close they can get to tasting like the real thing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

toplitzin posted:

Oh boy, it's NOT carbonara.

Have you actually tried it? Because I don't know why posting this recipe would be relevant without actual experience, positive or otherwise. :confuoot:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I had a Scanpan skillet for a few years and it didn't hold up any better than Tfal does. Good for a couple years, then the coating wears off and sticky spots appear.

Scanpan, like most other "high end" nonstick, will replace your pan if the coating fails or stops non-sticking.

But given how long the exchange process takes for most brands, you're probably better off just buying $10 nonstick pans every couple years unless you really, really prefer the way one of those $100 nonstick pans handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

What is the collective opinion about Alfredo sauce with a roux and milk vs just butter and cream?

I find that an Alfredo sauce made with butter, cream and parmesan has a nicer flavour than a bechamel+parmesan sauce. I believe something about the flour reduces the flavour of the sauce, so roux based sauces tend to need more cheese/seasoning to compensate? The bechamel option is certainly healthier in terms of calories.

Also, a while back someone in this thread suggested a type of pasta sauce made just using Parmesan/Butter that they claimed was the best option, I don't think I'd be able to find the post again though.