Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not entirely certain what you mean, but sure, why not.

You can only really take advantage of this in Endless Mode, and there's a late-floor Dealer Spite card which deals you a Curse for every ring you have on. These curses can trigger Pain cards which can add more curses, or do other nasty effect, including "add curses equal to number of rings"

eventually:

Even without that HP, you have so much nasty poo poo on you that taking a step pretty much makes your HP bar explode.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

You can only really take advantage of this in Endless Mode, and there's a late-floor Dealer Spite card which deals you a Curse for every ring you have on. These curses can trigger Pain cards which can add more curses, or do other nasty effect, including "add curses equal to number of rings"

eventually:

Even without that HP, you have so much nasty poo poo on you that taking a step pretty much makes your HP bar explode.

Dear sweet Gygax, I have a mixture of awe and horror from seeing that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bpACH posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's the Shadow agent card that's doing that.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SwordOfKaz posted:

Dear sweet Gygax, I have a mixture of awe and horror from seeing that.

It's Endless Mode only, thankfully, and only comes up on like floors 20-30+ I wanna say

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Episode 13

The latter half seems to be really focused on the interplay between blessings and curses, and I can understand why, but they aren't unbalanced so much as there is just a lack of attempts to balance, every one you get has the potential to be really good or really bad, but the majority of them suffer from having effectively no impact to the point of forgetting that they exist. Case in point the -5 hp tax for finishing off an enemy on the ground. It isn't something I have the time to do in most fights (but that didn't stop Kaz from warning me incessantly if I even started to accidentally hit an enemy on the ground) but even if I did ever get around to finishing one off, 5 hp is basically a negligible price to pay for a guarantee that you've removed an enemy from the fight. It's not a powerful enough negative incentive, and even if it was, it's not something that comes up frequently enough to pose a threat.

Five Second Film Review: Hardcore Henry
And now, Violence. Hardcore Henry is a unique movie that is filmed entirely with a POV camera. Picture a movie that consists of watching someone else play Mirror's Edge combined with Call of Duty or some other generic shooter. I don't get motion sickness or anything but if you're someone who is very prone to that kind of thing you may want to stay away. You'll know within the first 10 minutes if this movie is for you or not. It's almost completely real stunts, it was basically filmed by strapping a Go-pro to a stunt actors head and going from there. It also has a very videogame-esque plot with setpieces resembling different styles of levels and a phone used as a GPS with an objective dot to get to.
It boils down to being the best live action adaptation of a video game around, and it isn't even based on a video game. Now we just need to wait for someone to make an awful video game adaption based on a good video game movie for maximum irony.
(Fun fact: I actually got a chance to watch is before it was released as part of a test screening to see how people would react to the style and how to market it. As my friends and I walked out of the theater some people from the film team were there and I heard them say "I think we found our target demographic.")

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, huh. So Mr. Fate adjudicates the rules, even when one of his cards gets away from him he's still got to pepper your path to it with assholes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Apparentice helm is not what makes Apprentice easier. What makes the mode easier is that enemies have less HP, hit for less damage and Shuffle time is usually very slow. Also once you clear the Apprentice Quest line you can get Nymphs of the Sweetwoods as an encounter which is a loving godly card (and tantamount necessary for the final opponent)

Also this dungeon field is great to get blessings and curses quickly for certain card tokens.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

SSNeoman posted:

The Apparentice helm is not what makes Apprentice easier. What makes the mode easier is that enemies have less HP, hit for less damage and Shuffle time is usually very slow. Also once you clear the Apprentice Quest line you can get Nymphs of the Sweetwoods as an encounter which is a loving godly card (and tantamount necessary for the final opponent).

Having literally just beaten said opponent, I'm gonna out and say Nymphs has never been super helpful to me. I dunno, by the time I get it on the board the costs outweigh the benefits to me. Though I'll be the first to admit I leaned pretty hard on a certain artifact to keep me alive during said boss fight, so...

Also, I'd stopped playing HoF for several months before this LP and yeah, I just beat it today over the course of, like, a day and a half of playing from... I wanna say Queen of Plague. There were a lot of Endless runs to grab some tokens and also SCREW THE PIRATE QUESTLINE.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nymphs of the Sweetwoods was a LOT more useful before it was locked away behind difficulties/dlc for it.

Godsend when it showed up on endless runs, or later on in some particularly nasty curse-heavy boss paths.

On that note: Soul Gem has become a go to. Getting it early and having the chance to remove themed floor/boss style curses before you get another one - without resetting progress - is outstanding. Shame its a pain to get.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 14: Queen of Lava

This is coming out super late because I'm in the process of buying a new house, so I was out all day doing important responsible things and then after that, I bounced around places that didn't have any internet so I couldn't actually start uploading it.

I also feel like I should point out that I don't consider this to be a completely missed update, because me and almost everyone I know have come to the decision that Tomorrow doesn't start until you go to bed and wake up again. So it's still the day that I was supposed to post it.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 25, 2017

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I know you covered this in the video, but I feel the need to point it out again anyway. DON'T GO FOR THAT LAST HIT. DEFEND YOURSELF.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Herne's Antlers is super useful for any Scales run, naturally. And the Oracle's Diadem you just got is probably my favourite helmet in the game. Naturally I'm not allowed to say why yet, but seriously it's saved me so much grief.

Re: Mortal Whimsy: Its damage does change depending on what form it's taking, and it can take the form of any weapon you've unlocked, even ones not in your equipment deck. I kind of like it, even if it's not what you'd call optimal. It's kind of hilarious when you get jumped by the King of Plague on an Endless and it just so happens to go Rat Cleaver.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I have a mini-seizure every time you just completely skip a shop, when you keep going "why haven't we found these items yet?" I get that you're trying not to waste time in an LP video, and it's always when you're not able to buy things at the time, but you can still look at the items for sale and find out what they do, so that if they're garbage you can get rid of them next run instead of letting them clog up your equipment deck until they happen to fall into your lap.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Felinoid posted:

I have a mini-seizure every time you just completely skip a shop, when you keep going "why haven't we found these items yet?" I get that you're trying not to waste time in an LP video, and it's always when you're not able to buy things at the time, but you can still look at the items for sale and find out what they do, so that if they're garbage you can get rid of them next run instead of letting them clog up your equipment deck until they happen to fall into your lap.

Yes! This! And also when you forget you got a lot of stuff you could sell.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof. Getting used to fighting with the armor on got you clowned in seconds. That was tough to watch.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, facetanking doesn't seem to be much of an option in this game. In your videos, I haven't really seen a life-steal weapon or anything that could realistically and reliably heal you in combat aside from a couple of rings that suck at healing.

This game seems like a cool novelty, and I love the narrator, but the extremely limited gameplay sections kept me from buying it way back when PrevRec did an episode about it. The sequel looks really good though

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, facetanking doesn't seem to be much of an option in this game. In your videos, I haven't really seen a life-steal weapon or anything that could realistically and reliably heal you in combat aside from a couple of rings that suck at healing.

This game seems like a cool novelty, and I love the narrator, but the extremely limited gameplay sections kept me from buying it way back when PrevRec did an episode about it. The sequel looks really good though

I will drop a minor spoiler: There is a life-steal weapon, and what's more, they have access to it.

But yes, generally speaking face-tanking is ineffective. HoF is largely about managing your resources well and spending only what you need for the greatest possible effect. Life is absolutely a resource in this sense.

EDIT: Also, the real game is in Endless mode once you've beaten story mode. Trust me, it's worth your money.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 15: Apprentice Eternal

Figured that since we're at the beginning of the last row of cards, we should probably throw ourselves at Endless mode again, but to ensure that we didn't get shut down immediately but it was still entertaining, we decided to switch roles while showing off the easiest difficulty to unlock a ton of cards but still have some difficulty by being outside of our comfort zones.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Not bad honestly thought you almost pulled it off there I knew you would not succeed thanks to the time stamp but drat did it look close.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Rat Cleaver has a radial stun as its power, which works on all non-special enemies. You guys were just trying to use it on the minotaur, so it wasn't working out great :v:

Speaking of which, gently caress minotaurs. Your best bet is to goad him into doing his combo, then attack him after the 4th swing before immediately rolling away. It's a lovely, stupid, time-consuming fight for what should be a simple boss. Feathered Ice does wonders against him, though I can say that about any enemy really.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

^ Also Frost Fang, for the same reason.

But yeah, without some kind of freeze or similar power the only success I've had is make him charge, barely avoid it, swing once, GTFO, repeat. It is the most boring BS on the planet and, like most of the special quest chains, only really worth it if you're a completionist.

I've never tried it, but do Hag's Wraps help? I think I've seen them in the LP.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Hag's Wraps will work on anybody, so that's one method. If you're quick on your feet you can just stay behind the Minotaur during the four-swing combo and get a hit in before he starts swinging again. Still a pretty long fight, but doable without taking hits. And there's an alternative :airquote:strategy:airquote: to cheese him if all else fails which is how I finally beat his big brother, completely by accident.

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 1, 2017

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I would like to know this strategy. He still kicks my rear end in Endless.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Lazy Bear posted:

I would like to know this strategy. He still kicks my rear end in Endless.

It's cheesy in the "hope you get this one card" sense.

The Wrath of the Gods blessing instakills a random enemy at the start of a fight, while the Mage Strike artifact instakills a random enemy on use. They work on bosses. The minotaur being the only enemy on the field cuts down on the random element rather considerably.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
The biggest RNG screw the game seems to have up its sleeve is putting monstrously crowded fights into really tiny arenas sometimes. Yes game, Jack of Skulls + 3 of Lava Elementals in the tiny rear end magma chamber that you fight a single Elemental in for plot was a fair fight.

SSNeoman posted:

Keep in mind that not giving him food o gold when you do have a shield makes him take your shield, though the game never tells you this :allears:

Lionel takes a random piece of equipment and gives you a random piece of equipment that still has an empty slot. If all your slots are filled he is a fucker.
EDIT: Haha nope. I guess there's some procedure to determine what you need the most at play. It's just pretty rare that I need anything after I've got my equipment sorted out.

SSNeoman posted:

The Queen has an issue where if you try to counter her attack, your guy runs towards her and she drop kicks him. It's super loving annoying and your best bet when that happens is to just mash roll.

Pretty sure that happens when you fail to counter and get hit by her scorpion pull.
EDIT: And you can counter her drop kick under ??? conditions. I can't even remember if it worked when I was mashing counter or waiting until the last moment or some combination.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 1, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She has a scorpion pull??? :psyduck:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

She has a scorpion pull??? :psyduck:

That's the Queen of Plague's ranged attack. She hits you with it, it does a little damage, and she performs a yanking animation to pull you to her and drop kick you.

I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to pull you into range of her totem, which she camps with much more dedication than the other queens. But something about fights with her in them results in more attacks being launched against you than normal so she'll pull you into a clusterfuck of enemies in the middle of their windup.

Start here and watch her to see what she's doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UF7D_6cRs&t=1015s

PrinceAwful
Mar 28, 2015

"SSNeoman" posted:

Speaking of which, gently caress minotaurs.

seconding this, by far the worst boss in the game to be honest we haven't even seen his big brother, and the only reason I beat that one was because the mage helm and the RNG decided to have mercy on me after so many failures :negative:

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 16

Forgot to turn off easy mode from that last endless run, so this didn't pose nearly as much of a challenge as it should have. In other news the new Zelda game Breath of the Wild came out today and it's actually pretty great, I got it for Wii U and it seems to run fine, everyone says there isn't really much difference between the Wii U and Switch versions, so if you were on the fence then go for it.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

And here we see why the Oracle's Diadem rocks all the socks. Knowing what's ahead is seriously handy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bah, I actually prefer helmets that have useful effects :colbert:

I forget does The Tavern unlock the Dragon Armor quest chain or was that another card? Also try to unlock the Golem Hunting Party cards, that quest chain gives you good stuff. You're also one Apprentice event away from clearing the entire quest line. You might wanna jump into Endless Apprentice once more cause this is the point the game shows its teeth. The next bosses are roooooughhhhhh

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

And here we see why the Oracle's Diadem rocks all the socks. Knowing what's ahead is seriously handy.

Oracles Diadem and Depth of Night are two items that you go out of your way to pick up any game.

that, and thunderstrike

Its worth mention the diadem doesn't really do much if you have a straight path, unless you have an overabundance of gear to swap around.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Not as much, no. But it does allow one to take stock of their provisions and mentally prepare. Maybe check and see if you have a couple of spare food and could use a few more HP by taking a step back before diving into a fight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oracle Diadem seems pretty dang good, yeah.

Though wow, Charity is starting to get ridiculous. Even 10 food isn't enough to move them.

PrinceAwful
Mar 28, 2015

Glazius posted:

Oracle Diadem seems pretty dang good, yeah.

Though wow, Charity is starting to get ridiculous. Even 10 food isn't enough to move them.

You need to pay 30 food to get one success card otherwise they just take your food :suicide:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

PrinceAwful posted:

You need to pay 30 food to get one success card otherwise they just take your food :suicide:

What. With the way it was progressing, I would have thought 20 would be the one success and 30 would have been two, or with the "30 or more" maybe some bullshit where they scream at you that they're not such enormous charity cases and you get attacked by little bandits.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Actually not that hard if you go Explorer fate and have that one shield, but yeah it kinda blows.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Actually not that hard if you go Explorer fate and have that one shield, but yeah it kinda blows.

Ring of Engorging, Fortitude's Breath, and the Trader's Ring. Pretty much perfect.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

You might wanna jump into Endless Apprentice once more cause this is the point the game shows its teeth. The next bosses are roooooughhhhhh

Episode 17: Apprentice Eternal 2 Minotaur Harder

Took your advice and did another Apprentice Endless run, we did get the Nymphs card, but we didn't end up accomplishing a whole lot else that I recall. I think half the reason I'm so bad at this game is i'm not used to being so vulnerable while dodging, and it's not an instant "Get out of Pain free card"... which turns it into "Go directly to Pain, do not pass Go". (Sorry, I'm one of those people that actually likes playing Monopoly, just no one ever wants to play with me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

mmh. you're getting better, not quite there yet. Regarding your ongoing problems with lava golems:

Unblockable red attacks have friendly fire.
Hammers have tracking only after they've started the swing - this is a timing challenge for your dodge roll. You CAN roll twice - or clench on the hammerfear, pause a beat, and roll as it's no longer raised.
Defensive explosion is triggered after 3 consequetive hits.
Rolling towards the blast or through the far side leave you in it,
It's often easier to force golems out of their attacks by forcing them to explode and cancel what they were doing than countering.

For example, those ranged gundead will happily shoot their comrades, and one of the funner ways to beat the king of dust is to shield bash him into his own cannon fire, for example.

The easiest way of beating is to just get better at positioning yourself and re-engaging. Keep tabs on which direction is -away- in your head, and learn to love the range on the snap-to for shield bashing.
Its also possible to pre-press directional input as you attack to change targets. Use these together when re-engaging after a dodge roll.

• Locked thread