Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lord Lambeth posted:

That makes it sound like MGSV without a garbage publisher.

Or a different garbage publisher depending on your point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or a different garbage publisher depending on your point of view.

Well at least Nintendo hasn't hosed off and invested in pachinko yet.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nah fam, they goin mobile.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nintendo is a gambling company that branched off into toys and videogames, they're the opposite of modern Konami.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Also didn't the move to Pachinko bite them in the rear end a bit? Like, just as they were done, with the dust settling on their restructuring into a mobile/PES factory, the Japanese government set up a bunch of regulations?

Like, probably not 'Soon-to-be former game publisher Konami' bit them in the rear end, but costed them a significant portion of their projected revenue?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Also didn't the move to Pachinko bite them in the rear end a bit? Like, just as they were done, with the dust settling on their restructuring into a mobile/PES factory, the Japanese government set up a bunch of regulations?

Like, probably not 'Soon-to-be former game publisher Konami' bit them in the rear end, but costed them a significant portion of their projected revenue?

It was something major like 80% of their pachinko revenue iirc.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Resident Evil 6 is a supremely dumb game but I love how the zombies just start falling apart when they're done. Like, they'll shamble towards you for a second or two but their head and arms just fall on the floor, and the rest melts away.

It really does show a bit of extra detail and thought put into how this isn't the same virus as the first game, even though they're still basically the same enemies.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In the Crypt of the Necrodancer boss arenas, I like how the boss music is muffled until you open the door, like you were standing outside the club.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Agents are GO! posted:

In the Crypt of the Necrodancer boss arenas, I like how the boss music is muffled until you open the door, like you were standing outside the club.

In the DLC, "Amplified", there's a piece of headgear called Spiked Ears. (It's kind of like a pair of earmuffs with spikes on them.) While wearing them, if you step on one of the traps that would change the speed of the music, the word "muffled!" pops up instead. (It also prevents deafness from the one boss that inflicts it.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nuebot posted:

As far as I can tell, it's mostly ads that cause it to explode horribly. Wikia sites, youtube often and anything else with a lot of inbuilt ads, especially ones that pop up over the content, tend to cause it to lose its poo poo. But since you can't install an ad blocker onto it, there isn't really anything you can do but roll the dice every time you want to look up something.

Modify your hosts file to block ads

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nuebot posted:

As far as I can tell, it's mostly ads that cause it to explode horribly. Wikia sites, youtube often and anything else with a lot of inbuilt ads, especially ones that pop up over the content, tend to cause it to lose its poo poo. But since you can't install an ad blocker onto it, there isn't really anything you can do but roll the dice every time you want to look up something.

It really dovetails oh-so-nicely with the modern trend of 300 part Youtube game guides.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I love how unapologetic the new Zelda game is about killing you. I've died more times in the first few hours of Breath of Wild than all my deaths in earlier 3D zelda games combined. It's almost nes levels of difficulty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

I love how unapologetic the new Zelda game is about killing you. I've died more times in the first few hours of Breath of Wild than all my deaths in earlier 3D zelda games combined. It's almost nes levels of difficulty.

Actually it'll almost always give you a mulligan on a straight insta-kill attack by leaving you with a quarter of a heart. That second time that bigass Moblin's sword is coming at you though? All you man, shoulda dodged.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually it'll almost always give you a mulligan on a straight insta-kill attack by leaving you with a quarter of a heart. That second time that bigass Moblin's sword is coming at you though? All you man, shoulda dodged.

I've definitely been one-shotted before so I know that's just luck, not an actual mechanic. That aside though it's more funny when you DO survive with half a heart, but you get ragdolled by the attack and the act of your limp body rolling off a small 2 foot drop kills you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think it only comes into play when you've got full health.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah it's legitimately bizarre finding a zelda game tough. I've got a thing where I try to make it through any zelda game I play without dying even once, and for the most part I can do it, but not with BotW. The first time you get hit by lightning, or caught in a fire barrel's explosion, or try to foolishly take on a black moblin, the game will remind you that this is a very different beast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love it when games do this. IIRC that was also a big part of Resident Evil 4's dynamic difficulty, whether or not getting hit by an attack would kill you or leave you with a sliver of health.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah it's legitimately bizarre finding a zelda game tough. I've got a thing where I try to make it through any zelda game I play without dying even once, and for the most part I can do it, but not with BotW. The first time you get hit by lightning, or caught in a fire barrel's explosion, or try to foolishly take on a black moblin, the game will remind you that this is a very different beast.

The giant bosses legit remind me dark souls, with regards to how you have to take them on and general difficulty.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

In Nier: Automata, the player character is an android. Thus, you can equip various abilities and stat boosts in the form of "chips", with different chips taking up a certain amount of slots - pretty standard stuff. What's interesting is that each element of the UI (the health meter, the damage numbers, etc.) are actually all chips you start out with at the beginning of the game, and you can remove them if you feel like it for some reason. One chip, however, is the character's OS. Removing it instantly kills you because you just uninstalled your OS. This is the only thing the chip does.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
There's also nothing to stop you from selling your OS chip.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZELDA

When you run out of stamina, you can't perform any special actions until it refills completely.
You can still jog around just fine but if you stand still, when it's all done recharging, Link does a double fist pump in excitement.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A thing about Ghosthunter that I've noticed on my replay is that is is shockingly well balanced difficulty-wise. Every time I leave a really hard fight with depleted health and low ammo, there is at least a greater chance that the next fight will be really generous with both to get me to a better position for the next fight. Maybe adaptive difficulty, but it's nice.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Morpheus posted:

or try to foolishly take on a black moblin, the game will remind you that this is a very different beast.

Why's the Moblin gotta be black?

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
You can check the temperature in Breath of the Wild on the Sheikah Slate and it will say it's like 60 degrees or whatever.

On Death Mountain it just says "Error".

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Goddamn I've never wanted to dominate Orcs so loving bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgcFxCGP4fw

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TontoCorazon posted:

Dominate Orcs you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJQspGrp8A

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

samu3lk posted:

You can check the temperature in Breath of the Wild on the Sheikah Slate and it will say it's like 60 degrees or whatever.

On Death Mountain it just says "Error".

It shows a huge amount of restraint for this thread to not be flooded with Zelda posts.

ZELDA POST
It's the first Zelda game with a quest tracker. However, it doesn't just show you where to go and then you press a button. No, it gives you the set up and then you have e to figure it out.

Environmental clues, conversations that you thought didn't matter and even literal riddles guide you to your objective.

It engages you with the environment that no other open world game does and you are always rewarded for exploring.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I started playing Bloodborne, and I've been running around the opening city level, then progressed into the Cathedral Ward, then went back into the city and things are a little bit different. Before the streets were lined with coffins, piles of suitcases, and abandoned baby strollers. Now, in addition to that, there's something that looks like boxes of fresh bones covered up with bloody cloth. I'm not sure if this is a change caused by progressing in the game to show that things are getting worse in the city as time goes by, or caused by the amount of insight I've got now, but it's really cool and makes me think back to Eternal Darkness- except, while that game made you see things that weren't "really" there, if this is caused by insight it means I'm seeing things that have been there the whole time, which is really cool and creepy.

(I've read some posts and watched some youtubes about Bloodborne so I know roughly what the plot is and what's in store, but it's still cool to see it in action)

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I started playing Bloodborne, and I've been running around the opening city level, then progressed into the Cathedral Ward, then went back into the city and things are a little bit different. Before the streets were lined with coffins, piles of suitcases, and abandoned baby strollers. Now, in addition to that, there's something that looks like boxes of fresh bones covered up with bloody cloth. I'm not sure if this is a change caused by progressing in the game to show that things are getting worse in the city as time goes by, or caused by the amount of insight I've got now, but it's really cool and makes me think back to Eternal Darkness- except, while that game made you see things that weren't "really" there, if this is caused by insight it means I'm seeing things that have been there the whole time, which is really cool and creepy.

(I've read some posts and watched some youtubes about Bloodborne so I know roughly what the plot is and what's in store, but it's still cool to see it in action)

I picked up Bloodborne last weekend as well. I think you're probably a bit further ahead than I am, only two bosses in. My favorite little thing about it is the reason why so many people love the game, the lack of hand holding. Its a nice change of pace from other major games (I've never played any other Souls games). Its aggravating sometimes but in a fair way, no bullshit (aside from the camera sometimes).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZELDA:

When night falls, skeleton enemies come out of the ground to spook you. However they are very weak and you can easily knock them apart.
You're supposed to find the head and bash it otherwise it will pull itself back together and try to kill you.

HOWEVER!
The head rolls back to the nearest body and that's not necessarily the one it came from.
So two skeletons attack me, I knock off both of their heads and bash one. The other rolls over to the second body and hops on. The now headless skeleton runs over to his friend and they have a non-verbal argument about being on the wrong body; complete with exasperated gestures and stomping their feet.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
ZELDA:

There are a ton of great armor options but for real....

There's a glow-in-the-dark luchador outfit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Refrigerapist posted:

I picked up Bloodborne last weekend as well. I think you're probably a bit further ahead than I am, only two bosses in. My favorite little thing about it is the reason why so many people love the game, the lack of hand holding. Its a nice change of pace from other major games (I've never played any other Souls games). Its aggravating sometimes but in a fair way, no bullshit (aside from the camera sometimes).

Dark Souls (all three of them) are much the same if you've never played them. 3 takes a few notes from Bloodborne's book with more aggressive enemies and a tighter focus on stunning rather than tanking hits.

My favorite thing about bloodborne is by far the audio direction for it. Play that game with headphones on if you haven't yet, the first stage alone is spectacular since you can hear dudes talking, you can locate them based on noise and it becomes super easy to immerse yourself in the game. Then you take a wrong turn and realize those big heavy footsteps were coming from a giant dude with an axe and oh no, now things are bad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

samu3lk posted:

ZELDA:

There are a ton of great armor options but for real....

There's a glow-in-the-dark luchador outfit.

i really wish you could fight barehanded, just to complete the outfit. None are safe in the Ring from El Linko Muerte! :ese:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The new Zelda basically feels like the original game - a large open world, only vague hints as to where to go, no map (At first) and incredibly difficult enemies, with health/defensive upgrades being few and far between. I also like that, due to the weapons exploding when they break, they do double damage when they break. It takes breaking weapons and turns it from a problem, to a viable mechanic. Switch out a weapon that's in the red, then if your struggling against a tough enemy, switch it back in to crit them real quick. Also, I saw a centaur near Faron Tower, I haven't seen those since the original game

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BioEnchanted posted:

The new Zelda basically feels like the original game - a large open world, only vague hints as to where to go, no map (At first) and incredibly difficult enemies, with health/defensive upgrades being few and far between. I also like that, due to the weapons exploding when they break, they do double damage when they break. It takes breaking weapons and turns it from a problem, to a viable mechanic. Switch out a weapon that's in the red, then if your struggling against a tough enemy, switch it back in to crit them real quick. Also, I saw a centaur near Faron Tower, I haven't seen those since the original game

Lynels are in the game and they are right bastards.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TontoCorazon posted:

Time to reinstall Shadow of Mordor to get ready, if only I wasn't at work now so I could play it when I get home :(

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

Neat. I Like that they're making your followers more important.

I was a little disappointed in SoM that I spent the whole game nurturing the careers of my favourite orcs and making them warchiefs only to have them fight in two short battles.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I played Wolfenstein: The New Order recently, and confirmed the internet consensus that it was better than anyone should've expected. Despite being pretty good, it has a sewer level, and it is a sewer level. But even then it has good character moments. Blazkowicz recollects to his childhood as you swim. Swimming in red tide because his dad told him not to, diving in a cold well to recover keys, and being covered in leeches. He doesn't whine about having to suffer a sewer level, but it does conjure very specific and unpleasant memories for him. Meanwhile you get audiologs from your girlfriend that gradually imply she was a Nazi serial killer in the mid-40's (:3:), which has foreshadowing in newspaper clippings you see strewn about.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Zinkraptor posted:

In Nier: Automata, the player character is an android. Thus, you can equip various abilities and stat boosts in the form of "chips", with different chips taking up a certain amount of slots - pretty standard stuff. What's interesting is that each element of the UI (the health meter, the damage numbers, etc.) are actually all chips you start out with at the beginning of the game, and you can remove them if you feel like it for some reason. One chip, however, is the character's OS. Removing it instantly kills you because you just uninstalled your OS. This is the only thing the chip does.

How hard would you say the game is? I've been thinking about getting it since I loved the first nier, but from what I've seen it looks a lot more bullet hellish and I worry I might not be able to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm blown away by the NPCs.