Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
How did the Venture Bros go up its own rear end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Drunken Baker posted:

How did the Venture Bros go up its own rear end?

The show definitely became more self-referential as it's gone on, but personally I think it's all the better for it. The creators spent the first half of the show meticulously creating this crazy world with a shitload of lore and interesting characters, and by about half-way through the show's run they'd done enough world-building and table-setting that they could finally let loose and just have a load of fun in the universe they'd created. Yeah, the later episodes aren't particularly newbie-friendly but it's such a niche show that I can't see it harming its appeal too much. The show is pretty much a serial anyway, anyone interested in watching it is gonna start from the beginning.

Anyway speaking of The Venture Bros, has The Simpsons ever tried adding any major new supporting characters in the post-classic years? One thing that VB does really well is weaving new characters into the show and making them feel like they've always been there, but I don't think The Simpsons has tried adding any new characters since S11-12ish when they tried making Gil, Cookie Kwan and Lindsay Naegle part of the supporting cast (who are all terrible). Have there been any other characters added to the show that have appearing regularly for over a decade that nobody knows about because nobody is watching anymore?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think the main thing they do now is use one off throw away characters, like the Crazy Cat Lady and make them prominent characters...because. Someone pointed it out earlier that they don't even have those wierdly misdrawn characters in the background anymore. Just the c list joke characters. I think the jump to animation allowed them to cut down on costs by copy pasting established characters over and over throughout the world to populate it.

Going back to your question. I saw maybe six episodes in the last three years and haven't seen any new characters show up.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Last night was a direct sequel to kamp krusty and Bart flew on an eagle and there was a "I said therapy! Not theramin" joke and it was all around completely unwatchable

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Oh and there was a reveal that a character we never saw in that episode wasn't a kid but a midget

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There was a time when I used to just put in my DVDs instead of suffer through a new episode on the way to American Dad. I should start doing that again since The Last Man on Earth takes a while to get to on Sunday nights

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Famous new character Moe's bar rag

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

porking a pork bun posted:

The show definitely became more self-referential as it's gone on, but personally I think it's all the better for it. The creators spent the first half of the show meticulously creating this crazy world with a shitload of lore and interesting characters, and by about half-way through the show's run they'd done enough world-building and table-setting that they could finally let loose and just have a load of fun in the universe they'd created.

Been re-watching the entire run again, backwards, for whatever reason and I don't half miss Vatred, Billy and Pete who are pretty much main characters now. Also fatstrong 21.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
In the Frank Grimes episode Homer does nothing jerkish- Grimey is the audience insert for a real person in Springfield. The coworkers at the plant come off as jerks because in their insane world, Homer's behaviour is typical (if there is one person dumber than Homer it's Chief Wiggum) but nobody cares as much as they should, especially in a serious place like a nuclear power station.

Homer is earnest in his attempts to get Grimes to like him, but he's the same Homer we've always known (see Homer Loves Flanders, possibly my favourite) and so any attempt to be nice is invariably injurious. That's comedy.

And the episode ends with people laughing as a casket is lowered into a grave. It's a well crafted episode but like the Itchy Scratchy and Poochy, and Armin Tamzarian episodes it's too meta to see what's really going on in the first viewing.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

cool new Polack jokes posted:

In the Frank Grimes episode Homer does nothing jerkish-

Homer steals poo poo off his desk and eats his lunch out of the fridge. Homer is a colossal jerk in that episode and it's only in comparison to the psychopath he later becomes that it seems tame.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 6, 2017

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In my opinion most of the usual reasons for why the show declined (dickhead homer, too many guest stars, too wacky plots etc.) Don't hold up when you compare new episodes to the golden age. Almost all of those elements are visibly there its just that the writing is so much better they aren't a problem. I know its a bit cheap to say the problem was simply the writing was better but, eh.

Apart from that some of the things I've noticed in the new episodes is that the animation I really flat, the voice acting is phoned in and they keep referencing older, better episodes and their gags in a way that's just embarrassing. I also think the staticness of the family and their world (nobody ages, nobody changes, the town never changes and every plotline is over in one episode) puts huge constraints on what you can actually do with the Simpsons to keep things going over thirty loving years.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

The Italian family one was good. He has a good thing going and desperately begs the Simpsons not to blow it up and Lisa gets drunk and blows it up. What's not to like?

vendetta vendetta VENDETTAAAAA

just a terribly unfunny affair. they (the simpsons writers) really dropped the ball by not having sideshow bob become reformed after the episode with cecil. they really ran his fugitive/criminal gimmick thin as it went along.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Hello, children

My name

is Sideshow

Cecil

Ahem

I have prepared a pie in the face gag.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The way the Cecil one ends with Bob just getting arbitrarily re-imprisoned so they can still pull him out later is so loving lame.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nah, it was pretty great.

Bob: "I'm innocent!"
Cecil: "Tell them they'll live to regret this."
Bob: "YOU'LL LIVE TO REGRET THIS! [pause] Oh, great, now they think I'm the crazy one."

Really the worst thing they could have done was bring Bob back after this episode. It really concluded his character arc pretty nicely and had a tone of finality to it. I really thought it was written as a final episode for him.

They brought him back for one okay but less funny episode (the one where he hypnotizes Bart to be an assassin), and that was like an okay but unneeded coda that then REALLY should have been his final episode, especially since it ended with him supposedly being executed by guillotine.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They could have kept using him as a criminal but the Simpsons should have stopped being his enemy.

He is the villain in the ride though and it's actually halfway decent.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

porking a pork bun posted:

Anyway speaking of The Venture Bros, has The Simpsons ever tried adding any major new supporting characters in the post-classic years? One thing that VB does really well is weaving new characters into the show and making them feel like they've always been there, but I don't think The Simpsons has tried adding any new characters since S11-12ish when they tried making Gil, Cookie Kwan and Lindsay Naegle part of the supporting cast (who are all terrible). Have there been any other characters added to the show that have appearing regularly for over a decade that nobody knows about because nobody is watching anymore?

When I stopped watching it seemed like they were REALLY trying to make Duff Man happen. Also that blonde, short-haired entertainment journalist. But yeah, that was probably around 11-12 too, so I dunno if they stuck.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
No, it's a hella funny episode, but Bob really turned a new leaf, at least for the moment, and he shouldn't have had to immediately go back to jail. Even though the scene of him and Cecil in the cell is great.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They brought him back for one okay but less funny episode (the one where he hypnotizes Bart to be an assassin), and that was like an okay but unneeded coda that then REALLY should have been his final episode, especially since it ended with him supposedly being executed by guillotine.

This episode... dear lord. The guillotine ending was a huge turning point towards the mean-spirited era of Simpsons. Also this episode had Mr Teeny doing a strip dance and Krusty announced it as "The Full Monkey." who the gently caress thought that would be the slightest bit funny

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It makes you wonder if the writers are being told to make it as poo poo as possible.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

sassassin posted:

Hello, children

My name

is Sideshow

Cecil

Ahem

I have prepared a pie in the face gag.

I hope they still make that shampoo I like.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What the gently caress? This loving sucks.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I like the second Futurama movie but none of them feel much like movies, more like two to three completely seperate episode plots that were kind of tied together.

Personally I liked the premise better when it was in Star Control 2, more subtle about it. "Shall we come to your *house* so that we can be *relatives*?"

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Junk posted:

ok anyway I just remembered anotehr low point of the simpsons that caused my younger self to clue in "yeah this is becoming poo poo"

The one where grandpa got a girlfriend who was just using him to drive her around places. He crashes his car and she leaves him for someone else, then it ends with him and Bart going to Branson to tell her off

that episode did have one great gag though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bt4Ly9_9Qg

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The worst episode was when Kelsey grammar and David Hyde Pierce played Frasier and Niles Crane playing sideshow Bob and his brother Cecil.

Edit: Stroke of luck I ended up posting this blindly when the episode in question was being quasi-praised right above me. Episode still sucks rear end.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 7, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Untrustable posted:

The worst episode was when Kelsey grammar and David Hyde Pierce played Frasier and Niles Crane playing sideshow Bob and his brother Cecil.

We already decided that's the best one, op

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Untrustable posted:

Edit: Stroke of luck I ended up posting this blindly when the episode in question was being quasi-praised right above me. Episode still sucks rear end.

That episode is hilarious and full of great lines. It should have however been the last sideshow bob episode

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Untrustable posted:

:chloe:

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

"Oh really, Cousin Merle!..."

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously, what a weird opinion. That's the best Bob episode, so many great gags and lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EAce8LMVyE

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Untrustable posted:

Go back to clown college

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Capital knockers!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Cape Feare" is the best Sideshow Bob episode imo

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
that's empirically true i would say

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
cape feare is downright great and the cecil episode is very good

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol "deep down you long for a cold hearted republican to lower taxes , brutalize criminals and rule you like a king ."

now that was quality sideshow bob

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Go back to clown college

I'll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Piss de Bundy posted:

lol "deep down you long for a cold hearted republican to lower taxes , brutalize criminals and rule you like a king ."

now that was quality sideshow bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-lsKNClwWQ

I love that they greet each other in Enochian.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The only post season 7 episode I liked was the one where Homer disguises himself as a battlebot and fights a bunch of robots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

The only post season 7 episode I liked was the one where Homer disguises himself as a battlebot and fights a bunch of robots.

Dude, "You Only Move Twice" was Season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"the only post season 7 episode" lmao dude c'mon.