Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

No, I'm a posho southerner. House has room for a drive or maybe even a small garage but the council would need to extend the road a bit first :mrgw:

Disappointed you of all people didnt use the reference

Movies .... the first movie I can definantly remember seeing was in the early 1970's (I want to say 1973?) and being Snow White in one of it's many re-releases. I think there were earlier movies, that's the one I can swear to as we nearly got locked in the cinema. Stuck in the memory that one :)

The movie I can date precisely was Star Wars.... in it's actual original theatrical cut with the original opening scroll that did not reference an episode number, it was just straight Star Wars. I got to see Star Wars:SE in the same theatre on it's opening night and that stands out as the single best theatre experience. The crowd was amped and seeing Star Wars ont he big screen after soooo many TV and VHS reruns was a straight back to childhood moment. I dont mind saying I teared up with pure joy when the Lucasfilm logo appeared..... drat that was a great night.

quote:

20 years later i still refuse to watch that loving movie.

I refuse to see Event Horizon again because it was so loving awful. My then wife insisted I say to the end.... and was rather apologetic when it finished. I *really* wanted to walk out of that turd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the first film i remember seeing in the cinema was arachnophobia and it scared me shitless. i was like 4 years old. thanks mum

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

First movie chat: I think the first I remember was The Land Before Time. I know it wasn't my first movie, but its the one I can remember. I may have seen a re-release of Bambi earlier than that, but not 100% sure.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My first movie was the original release of Pete's Dragon. I'm still younger than Cat Interceptor *whew*

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I can't recall the first movie I went to see, but this brings up an anecdote.

My family had a van when I was growing up, and we'd travel places frequently. My parents set up a small tv/vcr combo between their seats so my sister and I could watch movies. We'd alternate.

I'd watch Twister
She'd watch Spice World
I'd watch Jurassic Park
She'd watch Spice World

I have seen Spice World over 50 times and all of them have been as a captive.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't remember what came out in 1991 or what my mom had recorded on VHS off the air by then, anything pre 1993 is kinda fuzzy for me.

But I did see Jurassic Park at a drive-in, might have been the last time I saw a movie at a drive-in too.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I have a very vivid memory of seeing Batman with my dad and going to the theater in is Corvette, I would have been 6 years old.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

First film I remember seeing was the Jungle Book when I was very young - not sure why a film from the 60's was playing as this would have been in the mid to late 80's. We must have went a matinee showing on a shopping trip as it's one my my dad's favourite films. My dad lost a filling to a bit of toffee - that's the only bit about the trip I remember.

Next film I remember seeing (probably the next film I saw, seeing as we were skint and lived in the middle of nowhere) was Jurassic Park when I was ten - I remember persuading my parents to go to Pizza Hut for the first time beforehand, then getting into trouble for not eating much.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

I can't recall the first movie I went to see, but this brings up an anecdote.

My family had a van when I was growing up, and we'd travel places frequently. My parents set up a small tv/vcr combo between their seats so my sister and I could watch movies. We'd alternate.

I'd watch Twister
She'd watch Spice World
I'd watch Jurassic Park
She'd watch Spice World

I have seen Spice World over 50 times and all of them have been as a captive.

This makes me think of the first cars I remember.

My dad's Isuzu trooper was awesome, silver with tan interior. I remember running out of gas because the fuel gauge didn't work, and also I remember the muffler falling off. Oh also I remember Dad trying to push start it one time with a friend of his.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Staines, Surrey when I was 6. I remember my Aunt getting lost trying to find the cinema after taking the train with 4 5/6 years olds.

Anyway car chat and someone hit me again in the Challenger. I guess a huge, noisy, red barge is so difficult to see that you think it is ok to run a stop sign. It was fairly low speed but I am flying out to San Fran today and will have to spend my week checking the phone for when the claims droid calls rather than collecting ever piece of Google swag I can find.

Getting a bunch of errors from the ESC and the wheel that was hit is screwed but at least it is open and shut since they ran a stop sign and then spent 5 minutes apologizing and admiring they were at fault that I have on video.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Staines, Surrey when I was 6. I remember my Aunt getting lost trying to find the cinema after taking the train with 4 5/6 years olds.

was it as overrun with pikey children back then as it is today?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Grandma took me and my sister to the 1977 re-release of Fantasia.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

fridge corn posted:

was it as overrun with pikey children back then as it is today?

From memory it was mostly empty but this was like 20 years before they redid the town centre so it was rough as balls rather than just rough as it is now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fridge corn posted:

No, I'm a posho southerner. House has room for a drive or maybe even a small garage but the council would need to extend the road a bit first :mrgw:

I've been reading all your posts in a thick Yorkshire accent and now you're ruined it. With a posh accent, you just sound like a douche.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I've been reading all your posts in a thick Yorkshire accent and now you're ruined it. With a posh accent, you just sound like a douche.

You've confused me with a5h

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

nm posted:

Aye oop lad there's no reason to be all hostile like just cause he's a soft southern jessie like. Down there with their lar de dar lattes and low fat pies.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I got promoted from test engineer to applications dev and today is my first day

About 2 dive into a xamarin codebase pray for me

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Just remember: await doesn't and async isn't.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I don't remember seeing any specific movie in the theater before age 8 or 10? I saw Return of the Jedi, but I don't remember it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Grats!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Good job, just remember that someone elses code is not your fault and to keep notes of all the dumb stuff you find when someone asks why you don't know it like the back of you hand day 1.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

First movie in the theater for me was the re-release of 101 Dalmations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My mom and aunt took my cousins and me to see Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan when we were 5. That was a terrible idea.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Somehow I managed to see Poltergeist when i was like 5 or 6? nightmares for years

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i once had a nightmare where I went down into the basement and the whole place was flooded and the shark from jaws was there and also a raptor from jurassic park and also the terminator and the whole place was on fire like in the film backdraft

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I think maybe the first movie I saw in theatres was Ducktales?

The theatre I saw it at is long gone.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The first movie I remember seeing in a theater is Dick Tracy, I would've been 4 years old. I don't actually remember much about the movie, my biggest memory is being fascinated by the projector.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I think the first movie I saw in a theater was Aladdin, and I started crying halfway through because they had the sound turned up incredibly loud and Dad had to take me out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Congrats!

I imagine your afternoon might look like this:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2013-02-24

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The first movie I remember seeing was a Song of the South in 1986.

It was insanely popular in Alabama, for some reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Grapeshot posted:

I think the first movie I saw in a theater was Aladdin, and I started crying halfway through because they had the sound turned up incredibly loud and Dad had to take me out.

I remember we had to watch Aladdin twice because the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the theatre during the part of the open when the sand cave first appeared.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of my first movie experiences was a double feature at a drive in, Star Wars and Smokey and the Bandit in the back of vista cruiser on our sleeping bags.

I also remember seeing Alien then having nightmares about about being trapped on that loving ship with the alien chasing me around, good times :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats!

I imagine your afternoon might look like this:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2013-02-24

this is me rn

good news tho im porting it to xcode instead of trying to deal with xamarin lol

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have submitificated my vote. Anyone who hasn't voted is a jerkass.

First movie I remember seeing in theaters would probably be either Beauty and the Beast? I feel like I remember my local tiny movie theater showing the Ewok Adventure there too; but Google tells me that was a made for TV movie. I could have sworn I remember a movie poster in the theater though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

vote 4 rascal pls

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Disrespectful showing off.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I think I'm buying a big dumb stupidly expensive (non-Raptor) F-150, because I am big, dumb, and stupidly.

I kind of fell in love with a Limited and at around 15 grand less than what I could get a (less optioned) Raptor for, I think I'm gonna get it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This makes me think of the first cars I remember.

My dad's Isuzu trooper was awesome, silver with tan interior. I remember running out of gas because the fuel gauge didn't work, and also I remember the muffler falling off. Oh also I remember Dad trying to push start it one time with a friend of his.

I think I remember all the cars my parents ever had, mostly because I think they had the same ones from when I was 0-4ish. Oldest I remember were a blue VW Beetle, a pile of poo poo brown Chevy Citation, and a little red rotary Mazda wagon. Then a blue Mazda B2000, brown VW Vanagon, and blue Toyota Tercel. That takes me up to about the age of 12.

Pops had a 6 cylinder Alfa Romeo spider but got rid of it before I was born.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

scrubs season six posted:

I think I'm buying a big dumb stupidly expensive (non-Raptor) F-150, because I am big, dumb, and stupidly.

I kind of fell in love with a Limited and at around 15 grand less than what I could get a (less optioned) Raptor for, I think I'm gonna get it.

why tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

buy the raptor

it's super worth it (because it looks rad as hell)

• Locked thread