Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

ErIog posted:

The misguided notion that you're going to do a better job checking certs than the cert system itself. It does make retarded kind of sense, but it also always ends up with them doing a far weaker implementation. They're not 100% wrong. If they were to do a good job and provide an extra layer in the cert chain then on a long enought timeline they could provde value. They're never going to do that, though. The impulse is understandable. The execution is unconscionable.

i of course mention this as my friend is complaining that ESET has installed such a cert; weirdly enough it avoids overpowering the EV certs but it's still disconcerting to see "ESET SSL Scan" instead of say, "Let's Encrypt X3"

e: horrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

ErIog posted:

The misguided notion that you're going to do a better job checking certs than the cert system itself. It does make retarded kind of sense, but it also always ends up with them doing a far weaker implementation. They're not 100% wrong. If they were to do a good job and provide an extra layer in the cert chain then on a long enought timeline they could provde value. They're never going to do that, though. The impulse is understandable. The execution is unconscionable.

They don't care so much about checking certs, they just want to inspect the content, and it's easier to just sit on the stream than have to integrate with a billion different browsers and apps that embed web views that all present the page in a different way (if at all).

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen a full IP-over-DNS solution implemented a while back as a way to bypass certain captive portals.

iodine is what I use. Have yet to find a captive portal that blocks it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

BillWh0re posted:

They don't care so much about checking certs, they just want to inspect the content, and it's easier to just sit on the stream than have to integrate with a billion different browsers and apps that embed web views that all present the page in a different way (if at all).

Feels pretty unnecessary/overreaching for them to do that even for this reason.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

Feels pretty unnecessary/overreaching for them to do that even for this reason.

no poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Malware isn't going to be giving you SNI data to inspect and doing a full MITM allows you to inspect/flag/block traffic to known malware c&c domain names in addition to IPs regardless of it matching a signature. It's a helpful control if executed correctly.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Malware isn't going to be giving you SNI data to inspect and doing a full MITM allows you to inspect/flag/block traffic to known malware c&c domain names in addition to IPs regardless of it matching a signature. It's a helpful control if executed correctly.

maybe at the gateway level but on individual machines it seems like it would be pretty easy for the malware to just bypass it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

maybe at the gateway level but on individual machines it seems like it would be pretty easy for the malware to just bypass it

Depends on how you're doing it. The driver sits on the network stack and pulls all 443 traffic and does some additional sniffing to find connections on alternative ports. If you're doing alternate ports then you're going to have a harder time not going noticed rather than mixing your traffic in with all the other HTTPS connections.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
That seems like something the OS could provide access to in a way that wont break security quite so bad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ErIog posted:

No, they don't think this at all. They just want to look into all the traffic so they can use their signatures on the unencrypted data.

e: whoops new page

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

That seems like something the OS could provide access to in a way that wont break security quite so bad

That'll work for things using schannel but anything doing an embedded garbage pile openssl library is going to dance right around it. You could probably lock it down by blocking/prompting on anything attempting to do outbound TLS with their own libraries but that would just be one more dialog for a home user to click through blindly and you would still need to do MITM there or just let it go without inspection.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I know your response is that everything should use schannel and that is Correct because it is The Best, but unfortunately there are people with bad brains who create garbage software on Windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes everything should use schannel and anything that doesnt should be prevented from connecting with no bypass mechanism

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.csoonline.com/article/3176433/security/spammers-expose-their-entire-operation-through-bad-backups.html

lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pwnt and all but tbh i don't remember the last piece of spam i got.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

BillWh0re posted:

long time no see :monocle:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

BillWh0re posted:

sup buddy. you've been missed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Depends on how you're doing it. The driver sits on the network stack and pulls all 443 traffic and does some additional sniffing to find connections on alternative ports. If you're doing alternate ports then you're going to have a harder time not going noticed rather than mixing your traffic in with all the other HTTPS connections.

i guess i was assuming most malware would get root and then be able to just undo whatever thing the AV/filter was doing if it were running on the same machine but that's not necessarily a given so :shrug:

e: root/system context/whatever windows does

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Maybe. It's a lot harder to get root on Windows these days compared to XP when it was completely trivial. Heuristics on any AV platform are sensitive to modification of system settings and is a good way to get your package noticed. Self-defense mechanisms may also alert the user to system level tampering of its analysis engine. Most of the value of a compromised endpoint can be realized inside a restricted user context; you can pull whatever personal data you're trying to harvest and still run whatever arbitrary code you want. Rooting can be good for extra persistence but when most systems have a single user who is always logged in you might not be gaining much from it and increasing your risk of detection.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thinking about learning about security with regards to computer

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tumor looking batty posted:

Thinking about learning about security with regards to computer

Dehumanize yourself and face towards malware

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ah, I didn't really consider them blocking c&c ips due to their domain names. Presumably considerably easier than blocking the IPs if you've got a copy of the malware and can get a complete list of the ones it uses.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Ah, I didn't really consider them blocking c&c ips due to their domain names. Presumably considerably easier than blocking the IPs if you've got a copy of the malware and can get a complete list of the ones it uses.

most malware uses infected computers for distributed c&c so ip-based blocking would be fairly pointless and time-consuming to keep updated - blocking a relatively small amount of domains is much easier

i'm genuinely surprised more off-the-shelf security products don't use things like spamhaus for blocking, or at least flagging, outbound connections. seems a no-brainer, but there's always been this weird disconnect between anti-spam and the rest of the security community.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DoJ drops Playpen case because they don't want to reveal what their "network investigative techniques" were.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39180204

quote:

To get round this the FBI used what it called "network investigative techniques" and revealed people's identities.

But it refused a request for information on its technological investigation techniques.

Federal prosecutor Annette Hayes wrote in a court filing on Friday that "because the government remains unwilling to disclose certain discovery related to the FBI's deployment of a 'network investigative technique'" it was "deprived of the evidence needed to establish defendant Jay Michaud's guilt beyond reasonable doubt".

Actual filing: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3482329-Michaud-motion-to-dismiss.html#document/p2/a341591

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volmarias posted:

DoJ drops Playpen case because they don't want to reveal what their "network investigative techniques" were.

Actual filing: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3482329-Michaud-motion-to-dismiss.html#document/p2/a341591

I assume this means nobody has published the exploit yet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: Nevermind, dumb idea.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume this means nobody has published the exploit yet?

that's entirely possible but its also possible the feds did something even worse and they don't want it to go public.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Volmarias posted:

They're not dropping the whole of playpen, just against this guy. They're also keeping the option to prosecute in the future when they declassify the method.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Volmarias posted:

It's probably because the NSA won't give the FBI any more exploits if they get burned all the time. At the moment they are prosecuting more cases they are having to drop with this exploit so it seems to be a sensible move if they feel it means more paedophiles end up in jail overall

In other news wikileaks have dumped a bunch of CIA docs and tools
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

quote:

The attack against Samsung smart TVs was developed in cooperation with the United Kingdom's MI5/BTSS. After infestation, Weeping Angel places the target TV in a 'Fake-Off' mode, so that the owner falsely believes the TV is off when it is on. In 'Fake-Off' mode the TV operates as a bug, recording conversations in the room and sending them over the Internet to a covert CIA server.

The internet of poo poo is not just for botnets and injecting ads!

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
I;m guessing they used a different NIT for that one particular pedophile otherwise they're going to be dropping a LOT of cases.

They can continue using the NIT for now and then once they burn it then can grab the guy again within statue of limitations so I'm guessing that's their plan here.

Also holy poo poo re: wikileaks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

why does a television need a microphone jesus christ

MCDONALD'S!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it was behind the picture. remain exactly where you are.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Found a taviso shoutout on the "Articles on exploiting psp's", found the discussion of the equation group stuff interesting

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

flakeloaf posted:

MCDONALD'S!

have it your way- citizen

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/info_dox/status/839115278437003271

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

why does a television need a microphone jesus christ

because it adds like 1 penny to the build cost but you can probably use it to charge $100 extra for some dumb feature no one will ever use.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i don't think the cia is actually going to cut you a check though

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Don't use Tor, don't use Signal.

https://twitter.com/HackingDave/status/839126978863239168

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"techniques"