Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
OP is still wrong a year later. The free upgrade still works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What determines when/whether the background wallpaper syncs between computers signed into the same account? I had my laptop and desktop shuffling the same set of images from a folder on the desktop, but I inadvertently set my desktop's wallpaper to some random image by hitting the wrong key in IrfanView, and now my laptop has that image as its background, even though I reverted the desktop to its usual slideshow.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

I (still) can't be assed to update the OP any longer, someone who cares more is very welcome to make a new thread.

hooah posted:

What determines when/whether the background wallpaper syncs between computers signed into the same account? I had my laptop and desktop shuffling the same set of images from a folder on the desktop, but I inadvertently set my desktop's wallpaper to some random image by hitting the wrong key in IrfanView, and now my laptop has that image as its background, even though I reverted the desktop to its usual slideshow.

Wish I knew. I've mostly had the wallpaper syncing work, except it never syncs the whole slideshow but only 10 or so images.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

It doesn't work every time, just nearly every time. Given it has officially ended, so has support for making it work.
People shouldn't rely on the update working, just try it and see.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

It doesn't work every time, just nearly every time. Given it has officially ended, so has support for making it work.
People shouldn't rely on the update working, just try it and see.

Uh, yeah I still upgrade computers every day and it still works every time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Still works every time here too. If I'm reinstalling Windows 7 for someone I almost always take the extra time to do a bare minimum 10 install first to make sure that hardware is activated, then wipe that out and install 7, so they're ready to go if they ever want to upgrade in the future.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a way to shut down a task when it has frozen and made the screen black (a game)? When I do ctrl-alt-del and try to bring up the task manager, it is hidden behind the blackness. Right-click-close doesn't work on the task bar. Right now it seems the quickest solution is to ctrl-alt-del and log off... any alternatives?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just open task manager now and in options set it to be always on top. It should remember that for the next time.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just open task manager now and in options set it to be always on top. It should remember that for the next time.

Ooh, that might work. Thanks! :dance:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

PirateBob posted:

Is there a way to shut down a task when it has frozen and made the screen black (a game)? When I do ctrl-alt-del and try to bring up the task manager, it is hidden behind the blackness. Right-click-close doesn't work on the task bar. Right now it seems the quickest solution is to ctrl-alt-del and log off... any alternatives?

Don't play games in exclusive fullscreen, use windowed fullscreen.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Jan posted:

I doubt you'll know the answer to this, so I guess this is just an open question relevant to what you've just said.

Most of the time, if I'm playing a game that's older than a few years, using windowed fullscreen fucks up the cursor and makes it really jagged or otherwise non-linear. It's kinda like the feeling when VSync is turned on, it's weird. Is there a way to avoid that? Because otherwise I have no option but to play fullscreen.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PirateBob posted:

Ctrl-alt-Esc also brings up the task manager, but sometimes...

Skyrim SE?

Turn off some of the boobie mods.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Muppet Rabies posted:

Turn off some of the boobie mods.

May as well just trash the computer and try again. What's the point without boobs?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Muppet Rabies posted:

Ctrl-alt-Esc also brings up the task manager, but sometimes...

Ctrl-shift-esc, which just skips the screen where you have to select it vs lock PC vs switch user etc.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jan posted:

This can lead to an fps loss among other things. Maybe not huge, but if you insist at running Overwatch at 144fps or whatever, this can cause delays.

When my regular boob-free Skyrim crashes, I get the same issue. I put task manager in my second monitor, so it should pop up there. It's possible if you know the process name, you can hit Windows-R (opens the run command window) and then type "taskkill /f /im Skyrim*" and hit enter. Should also kill the game, although I can't remember if the process is Skyrim.exe or TESV.exe or whatever.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Windowed fullscreen apps also get v-sync from the windows DWM regardless of if you turn off v-sync in game or drivers, it's a pretty good vsync implementation but in games where you really care about input lag it's definitely worth it to go fullscreen to avoid it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PirateBob posted:

Does Alt+f4 work?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When my regular boob-free Skyrim crashes, I get the same issue. I put task manager in my second monitor, so it should pop up there. It's possible if you know the process name, you can hit Windows-R (opens the run command window) and then type "taskkill /f /im Skyrim*" and hit enter. Should also kill the game, although I can't remember if the process is Skyrim.exe or TESV.exe or whatever.

alternatively, ctrl-shift-esc to open task manager then type 'tes4' or whatever the executable is (I forget) and hit delete and then enter. That should kill it too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Col.Kiwi posted:

Windowed fullscreen apps also get v-sync from the windows DWM regardless of if you turn off v-sync in game or drivers, it's a pretty good vsync implementation but in games where you really care about input lag it's definitely worth it to go fullscreen to avoid it.

G-sync supercedes this if you allow it to, but yeah you're right that it has downsides.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ok, so I turned on my computer a few minutes ago and it "failed to sign me in" the first time, making me sign out and back into my account.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

spit on my clit posted:

Ok, so I turned on my computer a few minutes ago and it "failed to sign me in" the first time, making me sign out and back into my account.

I apologize if this is an obvious question, but is there any way to simply disable the password login? I'm the only one who uses my box, and let's face it, if someone with an IQ above 100 has physical access to your computer, a login password won't do diddly-dick, unless it's backed by full-disk encryption or something.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gynovore posted:

I apologize if this is an obvious question, but is there any way to simply disable the password login? I'm the only one who uses my box, and let's face it, if someone with an IQ above 100 has physical access to your computer, a login password won't do diddly-dick, unless it's backed by full-disk encryption or something.

i mean, i dont have a password login. And yeah, my brother has access to my computer, but he doesn't use it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Win+R , netplwiz , disable the obvious box and set the credentials you want it to use.

You can still Win+L to lock if you're walking away, set PW to run after screensavers etc if you want to avoid casual desktop access.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

Win+R , netplwiz , disable the obvious box and set the credentials you want it to use.

You can still Win+L to lock if you're walking away, set PW to run after screensavers etc if you want to avoid casual desktop access.

This isn't a good solution, because it stores your password in plaintext in the registry.

I think there's a tool by Microsoft that will do the same thing, but in a secure way. Forgot what it's called though. :google: should help there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's not entirely password-free, but you can enable the PIN code logon, it's definitely faster than password. You can also turn off screen lock after wake from sleep/etc.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Khablam posted:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This isn't a good solution, because it stores your password in plaintext in the registry.

I think there's a tool by Microsoft that will do the same thing, but in a secure way. Forgot what it's called though. :google: should help there.

nielsm posted:

It's not entirely password-free, but you can enable the PIN code logon, it's definitely faster than password. You can also turn off screen lock after wake from sleep/etc.

I found the tool, it's literally just called "autologon" lol:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/autologon.aspx

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Neither is anything like secure if you assume physical access, but netplwiz no longer stores plain text passwords AFAIK.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Anecdotally, re: Transferring an upgraded license:
I had Windows 10 Pro upgraded from Windows 7 Pro on an old PC (I upgraded maybe... 2 months ago? The computer had just been sitting for a few years). I built a new machine, logged in with my Microsoft account associated with the install on the old machine, and activated Windows on the new machine. I have had no problems, it took like 30 seconds for Microsoft to go "Okay this is now the machine associated with that license". :shrug:

(The old machine will not be going on the internet again, so I'm not expecting any license conflicts. It's going to slowly have files transferred off of it and then have the drives formatted/repurposed)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If you have no password Remote access wont work as far as I can tell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah it's kind of a bummer, but making a picture password where I click on my loving head 3 times isn't bad.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Col.Kiwi posted:

This sufficiently answers my question, actually. Thanks!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

not sure where to ask this but...

my video signal stopped for about five seconds. the signal came back, but now my windows are transparent in random parts. example:

any idea what caused this? it affects all programs. i'm running two 24" monitors. i also have a program called aquasnap running, but turning it off and on didn't fix anything.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is there an Easy Transfer replacement for Windows 10? I have a buddy who doesn't have all of his favorites/contacts/etc in the cloud yet and wants all of his old stuff swapped over. Easy Transfer used to be great for this kind of tedious crap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Abel Wingnut posted:

not sure where to ask this but...

my video signal stopped for about five seconds. the signal came back, but now my windows are transparent in random parts. example:

any idea what caused this? it affects all programs. i'm running two 24" monitors. i also have a program called aquasnap running, but turning it off and on didn't fix anything.

That sometimes happens when your video card has a temporary problem. It should go away with a restart of the programs affected, and if it doesn't go away from that than rebooting the whole machine should fix it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is this a sign of my video card dying? any way to prevent this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Abel Wingnut posted:

If it keeps happening a lot then yeah. But if it only happens on rare occasions, it's probably just a driver glitch that will be fixed the next time your video drivers get updated.

If the next time this happens you get serious graphical glitches like corrupt text and stuff though, then you'll know your video card is starting to have real hardware issues and will need to be replaced.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Abel Wingnut posted:

No it's probably a bug in Windows 10 DWM. I also occasionally get rendering errors in the titlebar of my browser on one machine, that only go away by a complete reboot. (That machine is an Intel NUC using whatever onboard graphics.)

Or if you mean the crash itself that triggered it, it's more likely to be a bug in the graphics driver.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Chrome does not like when the video driver restarts for any reason. But in my experience when that happens, you can fix it by just dragging the tabs out into a new window. It's only whatever windows were open at the time that are broken. Windows that were minimized when the driver restarted and new windows will work just fine.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Cool it's like we're back in Windows 98 days fixing poo poo by draggin windows around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there a way to create a shortcut or .bat file to deactivate (or activate) a certain device (Nvidia High Definition Audio)?