Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Oh good grief, I think that's it. The PS4 menu indicated that the game was fully downloaded/updated, but if I go to the downloads menu it says otherwise. I hope to god I don't have to replay the drat opening.

Regardless, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HGH posted:

For some reason GI is... blocking my country or region or something. Can you mention those negatives?

Combat doesn't really evolve from it's starting point and upgrading your weapons is a lot of busywork. There's not much reason to branch out of your tested and true weapons. I'm lead to believe that combat attacks also don't evolve in BOTW but the busywork in BOTW is in maintaining durability of rebuilding your arsenal because weapons break, which in essence would also serve the dis-encourage you from actually using good weapons incase you want them for a tough enemy later on.

I personally disagree with it not really branching out (different combos of weapons give different options, as do chips and pod programs.) And swapping your weapon sets is it's own reason. Platinum combat is about being flashy as you want when you want. It's it's own motivation. Upgrading isn't that much of a busywork thing either. It's more that the game naturally gates you with drops. When it thinks you should be reaching PvP4 4 weapons, it'll begin to give you a lot of the mats you need for them.

You can't continue because you can't save till you're on the bunker. If it doesn't carry on, it's not fully installed.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 6, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Oh good grief, I think that's it. The PS4 menu indicated that the game was fully downloaded/updated, but if I go to the downloads menu it says otherwise. I hope to god I don't have to replay the drat opening.

Regardless, thanks!

You do. Just blitz it on Easy Auto and go back to the difficulty you were on when you regain character control. Now you know what you're doing you will only be there for around 10 mins.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm playing through the first Nier. I just collected all the keystone thingies, but I want to finish all the available sidequests before progressing the story any further. Do you guys think I should finish Nier before starting Automata? My friend told me beating Nier involves going through the main story like four times which is kind of bumming me out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

For what it's worth, those sidequests stick around in New Game+. Also, don't worry too much about replaying it. New Game + actually starts you a while after the halfway point and you'll be overpowered enough to blast through it in an hour or two. You get new scenes and other cool stuff and playthrough B is honestly my favourite part of the original Nier.

You can also just YouTube ending C and D to save yourself the third playthrough. C and D are just branches from the ending. You're already close to the end, so I would just finish it and get ending B (with C and D on YouTube) before moving on to Automata.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

For what it's worth, those sidequests stick around in New Game+. Also, don't worry too much about replaying it. New Game + actually starts you a while after the halfway point and you'll be overpowered enough to blast through it in an hour or two. You get new scenes and other cool stuff and playthrough B is honestly my favourite part of the original Nier.

You can also just YouTube ending C and D to save yourself the third playthrough. C and D are just branches from the ending. You're already close to the end, so I would just finish it and get ending B (with C and D on YouTube) before moving on to Automata.

Thanks, I'm going to do exactly this.

EDIT: Does my Sidequest completion stick around to the Ending B playthough, or will I have to do all of the second half quests over again?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

fadam posted:

Thanks, I'm going to do exactly this.

EDIT: Does my Sidequest completion stick around to the Ending B playthough, or will I have to do all of the second half quests over again?

IIRC it sticks around, but anything left incomplete will be restarted from scratch.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
It sticks around but if you want to 100% the game make sure you don't pass the halfway mark of the game leaving any side quests unfinished.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It'll be too late for that at this point anyway. The keystones are in the second half.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a really OP weapon or spell config you guys would recommend for speeding through Nier? The game isn't very hard but I'd like to optimize things I guess.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

fadam posted:

Is there a really OP weapon or spell config you guys would recommend for speeding through Nier? The game isn't very hard but I'd like to optimize things I guess.

Play on easy and auto-chips on will cut time off.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

If you're talking about the first game, I think the common consensus is that spears are overwhelmingly more powerful than other weapon options once you get access to them.

It's the same in automata too :ssh:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So with this seeming to sell well and Platinum sitting on a bunch of unused Scalebound assets and code, they should angle for another Yoko Taro collab on the Drakengard side of the series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you're talking about the first game, I think the common consensus is that spears are overwhelmingly more powerful than other weapon options once you get access to them.

It's the same in automata too :ssh:

Really? I've played around with spears and while they're nice in the heavy slot the light attacks leave a lot to be desired.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Really? I've played around with spears and while they're nice in the heavy slot the light attacks leave a lot to be desired.

I dunno. I had no problems with spear in the light spot and katana in the heavy. I actually played through the whole game with it and had a blast.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They're good in general but they really shine when you play as 9S, the spear toss he gets is completely ridic

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Combat bracer and long sword is the best combo if only cause when you actually hit the bracer, you feel so proud for your character.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
My favorite combo is dual short swords, the mobility is fantastic.

Spear / Great Sword is also pretty good for a backup.

9S is spear all the way, it's just broken.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So just so I know, the ending path is A, B, C or D, and E right? I don't need to repeat the third play through just to pick the other ending before moving to the E path?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yaaay, I already got Ending T :buddy:

look i saw the credits, it counts

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just so I know, the ending path is A, B, C or D, and E right? I don't need to repeat the third play through just to pick the other ending before moving to the E path?

No, but not for the reason you think. (slight end-game mechanical spoiler)Once you get ending C or D you unlock the ability to freely move between the game's chapters and sub-chapters.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Man it's so good, I'm so happy this exists.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It's still 10 days until the PC version and I'm even more giddy to try it after hearing all the positive opinions about it.

I'd say the wait is brutal, but somehow this motivated me to go through my backlog in the meantime. Win-win.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does Nier: Autobutta stack up to MGR when it comes to game length, enemy/level variety and boss count?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

How does Nier: Autobutta stack up to MGR when it comes to game length, enemy/level variety and boss count?

It is very much more of an ARPG than a character action game, I think if you go in expecting something comparable to MGR you might be disappointed.

Automata is far far longer and has far more enemies and bosses, but they aren't nearly at the level of polish and intricacy and spectacle MGR has. They were a bit deceptive about this with the demo, which is the most MGR-like part of the game by a mile.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://vimeo.com/207252380

Some people are very talented.
(Spoiler free)

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

lets hang out posted:

This review on metacritic lol

It's all true.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

* does a big chunk of sartre's quest

this is getting boring maybe i should advance the main story

* unlocks fast travel

FUUUUUU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah this is one of those rare things I'd advice people to spoil for themselves before going deep into sidequests. The FT makes it way more manageable.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are points of no return with quests though and they're not especially well labelled. You can't miss anything in regards to side-quests though so do them when you feel like it.

Here's a keyword for what is essentially the point of no return when it comes to it for playthrough A

Missile

When your mission objective has this word in it, doing the mission objective will lock you out of most sidequests for the rest of that route. You can enter the area that objective is in, just don't do the actual objective.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I paid $60 to replay the demo and then get told that the real game download would now happen and to come back in many hours. I now know that Platinum was just a ruse and it was Cavia all along.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So I really want to take advantage of the gmg deal, but I'm real worried my 660ti isn't going to be up to snuff, and I'm not going to be able to refund it.

Does anyone know how much weaker my gpu is compared to a 770?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Genocyber posted:

No, but not for the reason you think. (slight end-game mechanical spoiler)Once you get ending C or D you unlock the ability to freely move between the game's chapters and sub-chapters.

Acceptable!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Don't worry if you miss any quests before fast travel though. There's a chapter select later for doing them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

So I really want to take advantage of the gmg deal, but I'm real worried my 660ti isn't going to be up to snuff, and I'm not going to be able to refund it.

Does anyone know how much weaker my gpu is compared to a 770?
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Whoop, got my copy. Now I can go back and continue to not read this thread because of the people who are way farther ahead.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There are points of no return with quests though and they're not especially well labelled. You can't miss anything in regards to side-quests though so do them when you feel like it.

Here's a keyword for what is essentially the point of no return when it comes to it for playthrough A

Missile

When your mission objective has this word in it, doing the mission objective will lock you out of most sidequests for the rest of that route. You can enter the area that objective is in, just don't do the actual objective.

Just to be clear, quests aren't missable? If so that's rad AF.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finally got to try the game for an hour, got juggled to death after a dodge twice by the first boss on Normal, while I could easily beat the demo on Hard.

Mailer posted:

it was Cavia all along.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
My copy is going to be delivered later today, but I was wondering if there are any sidequests that you lose access to by the time you've gained fast travel from the main storyline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Missile

Thanks for the warning, just reached this part. So if there are any sidequests I want done,I should be mopping them up ASAP?