Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ITT People who watch other people playing video games confirm they are children with bad opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm satisfied with my purchase of Nintendo's latest dumb toy for babies, hope you have a source of light in your life as well

Fantastic :) I am happy you are happy buddy.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Mahoning posted:

Can you really not believe that or is it just like every other group of human beings that are loyal to something (smartphones, sports teams, actual sports, politics, music genre, music artist, etc.)? :rolleyes:

I was being a bit facetious, it's not surprising at all. Honestly, what's surprising to me is that Xbox is still around, and no other major player has stepped up in decades.

Kill all humans

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

eonwe posted:

yall breath of the wild is good

:eyepop:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

LethalGeek posted:

ITT People who watch other people playing video games confirm they are children with bad opinions.

Let's hope Nintendo listens to those "Bad" opinions so this thing doesn't crash and burn in two weeks after the Zelda craze, and 3rd party run from this like they did the Wii U.

Which I guess could be good or bad. Maybe it will actually force them into just 3rd party software development once and for all. But we hope for that after every console release.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

Fantastic :) I am happy you are happy buddy.

I wouldn't say it's a "decent deal" yet, for that they'd have to manage to release Xenoblade this year and also get some media functions in there

When the inevitable homebrew Android rom comes I might jump onto that depending on whether they manage to get drivers for all the weird hardwares and stuff. It'd be pretty cool (and entirely possible) to get it up and working for Steam remote play and stuff like that

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

When the inevitable homebrew Android rom comes I might jump onto that depending on whether they manage to get drivers for all the weird hardwares and stuff. It'd be pretty cool (and entirely possible) to get it up and working for Steam remote play and stuff like that

Yeah that's one thing that could be awesome. Homebrew.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

Let's hope Nintendo listens to those "Bad" opinions so this thing doesn't crash and burn in two weeks after the Zelda craze, and 3rd party run from this like they did the Wii U.

Which I guess could be good or bad. Maybe it will actually force them into just 3rd party software development once and for all. But we hope for that after every console release.

The WiiU was pretty much doomed from the start, the Switch isn't

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah I think BOTW replays are going to be speed/gimmick runs as opposed to 100% it again. I think the only game in the entire series I haven't played more than once is Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess was one that took me forever to beat the first time. I got it on Gamecube and Wii and have started it a handful of times but would hate how murky the graphics were during Twilight sequences on a LCD tv and end up quitting. I'd either have to squint to see detail or squint from turning the brightness too high. I got a CRT again for my PS2/GC/XBox and older systems and it looks ok on that but ended up just waiting for the WIiU HD release to actually beat it. Will probably be many years before I do another play through (if ever).

Though I do still need to go do the Wolf Link cave/trials to beef up my Amiibo if I want to use that. I haven't used any Amiibo's so far, but may need to if this stupid horse I am trying to break-in doesn't stop veering off course (its been hours and it still does it), or if I run out of weapons.. which seems like it is possible if I keep wandering into areas that are too powerful for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heres what I did last night

I made a journey from zora land (which I havent even done anything in yet) to Akkala

and I made my way up to meet an NPC I had a quest for an activate the tower

between that and my exploring along the way it took up my whole night

i made almost no progress and just explored and had a great time

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

eonwe posted:

I made a journey from zora land (which I havent even done anything in yet) to Akkala

Man I have such a great time when I play this game. I've been lost from the main quest for like 3 real days and I refuse to read where to go next because exploring this map is the most fun ive had exploring in any open world game ever

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

There have been lots of questions the last few days on what case to get. I picked this one up the other day and I love it. This is the PDP Nintendo Switch Starter Kit, in Mario graphics. It runs 29.99 and I got mine in Gamestop.

The case is a thick molded vinyl and it feels rugged enough that you can throw the Switch in a bag or something and not worry about it like one of the soft cases. It has room to hold a few accessories in there, like the included ear buds and screen cloth. It has a strap to secure the Switch and an additional padded middle section (which can store game carts) to keep the console from rubbing your accessories. I like the included screen protector as well. They make it in several designs. The kit also includes JoyCon covers, but those feel like garbage so I don't have them on.

I have one of these cases for my N3DS and its served me well for several years, so I see no reason why this won't do the same. So yeah, there you go for those wondering. I really like it!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

eonwe posted:

Sounds like you're playing the game the wrong way, idiot. Go watch some Twitch streams.

Called every store in a 50 mile radius this morning. No switches but Targets around here may get some tomorrow?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I bought a PS4 when Arkham Knight was coming out, that game ended up being bad. It was ok though because Fallout 4 was coming out not long after. Sadly that also turned out to be bad.

My final "anticipated" PS4 game will be Person 5...

gta5 was a good one to buy it for as well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eonwe posted:

That's what I did last night. But at like 11 PM I was like OK, I've got like 2 hours, I can go to (first dungeon) now. I've got enough hearts, food's good, weapons good... Next thing I know, it's 1 AM, and I've got a friendly NPC telling me I'm about halfway there. I forgot, the trek to Zelda dungeons are usually dungeons on their own.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Protip: Put it on and make sure you don't need the spare before you inform your friend about this plan. I was gonna give my spare to a buddy but I botched the first install and needed the second one... He'll never know.

Too late on that front. I guess I'll try to perfect on my first attempt.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The WiiU was pretty much doomed from the start, the Switch isn't

I disagree. I think this is worse than the Wii U. But like I said, I am happy you are happy with your purchase.

I think the major problem for Nintendo is since it is released in such an Alpha state (Aside from the technical problems appearing) there is a major software drought between now and the end of the year. It didn't help Capcom decided to sell a 19 dollar at best Street Fighter II for 40 in that mix. So my prediction is hardware sales of the switch will take a dramatic decline and fall completely flat until Mario launches. Their 3rd party market is already completely unstable, so when that happens I wouldn't expect anything 3rd party that would be meaningful. (Which isn't a big deal to the target market here. A lot of people buy this for 1st party titles and now Indie to take on the go)

By then though it won't matter. 3DS will continue to be the king of the portable due to content (Unless Nintendo cuts end of life's the 3DS, which they are keeping alive because they are not confident in the Switch enough to kill off the 3DS and start 100% full Switch portable development.) And either Nintendo finally caves and becomes a straight 3rd party developer for other hardware, which honestly, would be a dream come true at this point. Or, it's back to the drawing board.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Office Surprise Store posted:

one of the things pissing me off about all the stores around here is this jerking me around with "you'll have to come in and see if we have any" followed up with "but don't expect any for weeks at least"

like what you think i'm gonna walk in, see you have none, and buy something else? stop loving jerking me around and just say if you're out.

Yea, thats the dumbest poo poo ever. Maybe someone can explain it who works in retail. I understand its so they are not inundated with calls but I'm pretty sure people still call and ask and then get told "we wont tell you over the phone".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have a n3ds and a switch and I like both :cool:

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Is there a switch case that doubles as a stand and is available to buy yet?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's really stupid that the new Zelda has you constantly switching weapons just because it's on a console called The New Nintendo "Switch"

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

There have been lots of questions the last few days on what case to get. I picked this one up the other day and I love it. This is the PDP Nintendo Switch Starter Kit, in Mario graphics. It runs 29.99 and I got mine in Gamestop.

The case is a thick molded vinyl and it feels rugged enough that you can throw the Switch in a bag or something and not worry about it like one of the soft cases. It has room to hold a few accessories in there, like the included ear buds and screen cloth. It has a strap to secure the Switch and an additional padded middle section (which can store game carts) to keep the console from rubbing your accessories. I like the included screen protector as well. They make it in several designs. The kit also includes JoyCon covers, but those feel like garbage so I don't have them on.

I have one of these cases for my N3DS and its served me well for several years, so I see no reason why this won't do the same. So yeah, there you go for those wondering. I really like it!

this is basically identical to the one included in the zelda se/me

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Utnayan posted:

I disagree. I think this is worse than the Wii U.

Simply believing something to be so, does not in fact make it so, Mr. President.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holyshoot posted:

Yea, thats the dumbest poo poo ever. Maybe someone can explain it who works in retail. I understand its so they are not inundated with calls but I'm pretty sure people still call and ask and then get told "we wont tell you over the phone".

If they reply with an affirmative then the next thing out of the potential client's mouth is going to be some variation of "save it for me, I'll be right over" which they won't do, but could lead to an angry man child rampaging the store because they promised a switch over the phone and sold it in the 3 hours it took him to get there.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

I do not work in retail but I am sure they are trying to capitalize trying to get people in the store, and like the poster said, buy something else while they are there.

Pretty retarded in this day and age.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Utnayan posted:

I do not work in retail but I am sure they are trying to capitalize trying to get people in the store, and like the poster said, buy something else while they are there.

Pretty retarded in this day and age.

Don't sign your posts.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People before the Switch launch: The system won't sell very well at launch.
People after the Switch launch: Sales will take a nose dive after launch.

I don't think we should predict anything, to be honest. The launch was successful. Let's see what the rest of the year brings.

Also, Nintendo going third party would mean it becoming a fundamentally different company where all the games that aren't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and *maybe* Fire Emblem disappear. This is a thing we don't want.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

If they reply with an affirmative then the next thing out of the potential client's mouth is going to be some variation of "save it for me, I'll be right over" which they won't do, but could lead to an angry man child rampaging the store because they promised a switch over the phone and sold it in the 3 hours it took him to get there.

I guess. Sucks for the people who live 1-3 hours away from stores. But you brought that on yourself living in the wasteland that is middle america.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think people are very confident that Mario will be good and are also impulsive consumers. with Zelda being perfect Nintendo has the upper ground

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

if you live 3 hours from a store and aren't taking advantage of online preorders, well, i guess your choice of living in b.f.e. makes sense

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Utnayan posted:

For those on the fence, this is the only video you need to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Nintendo is seriously saying dead pixels normal? That's a new low.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Utnayan posted:

I disagree. I think this is worse than the Wii U. But like I said, I am happy you are happy with your purchase.

I think the major problem for Nintendo is since it is released in such an Alpha state (Aside from the technical problems appearing) there is a major software drought between now and the end of the year. It didn't help Capcom decided to sell a 19 dollar at best Street Fighter II for 40 in that mix. So my prediction is hardware sales of the switch will take a dramatic decline and fall completely flat until Mario launches. Their 3rd party market is already completely unstable, so when that happens I wouldn't expect anything 3rd party that would be meaningful. (Which isn't a big deal to the target market here. A lot of people buy this for 1st party titles and now Indie to take on the go)

By then though it won't matter. 3DS will continue to be the king of the portable due to content (Unless Nintendo cuts end of life's the 3DS, which they are keeping alive because they are not confident in the Switch enough to kill off the 3DS and start 100% full Switch portable development.) And either Nintendo finally caves and becomes a straight 3rd party developer for other hardware, which honestly, would be a dream come true at this point. Or, it's back to the drawing board.

Zelda will be a 2-3 month game for most. Snipperclips, FastRMX, MK8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, plus a million indies. If they are able to get an eShop with VC games before summer it's going to be gold. People have been wishing 3rd party development on Nintendo for 15 years. It's not going to happen.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does the pro controller charge with usb-c as well?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Online preorders were gone in like 5 minutes when they popped up. Don't condone Nintendos bad practices.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

you're bubbles are messing with me so hard man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People have already shown that they're willing to buy this system for one game. Mario Kart and Splatoon are easily capable of having a similar effect, and we'll see whether ARMS has legs or not.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

ethanol posted:

I think people are very confident that Mario will be good and are also impulsive consumers. with Zelda being perfect Nintendo has the upper ground

Zelda also has a cross platform release. The Wii U version of the game (Which I have) is identical to everything I can see (When played on a TV). So I would expect a lot of Zelda's to be purchased for the Wii U. I am sure Mario will be good and sell the switch, but hopefully by then they have ironed out all the bugs and glitches in the system and have a fully featured online service ready to go. In the meantime though, it's obvious that Zelda sales will be split on the high side, with the high side of revenue going to the Wii U (Higher install base so this is obvious) and a software drought is going to kill sales until that Mario game hits. Quite frankly, a price drop will hit sooner rather than later ($199-$249) and there it will either make a recovery, or just fail completely at that point.

I think people are forgetting that Zelda is a new game, cross platform, and Mario Kart is about 95% alike to their previous version and already played out. Zelda will sell the switch. Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 will be going to a majority of base and not adopting hardware. Mario will be the next adoption phase of the hardware. And that, quite simply, is too far away.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 7, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Does the pro controller charge with usb-c as well?

Yes, and it comes with like a 3.5-4 ft USB-A to C cable in the box.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think a lot of people either didn't buy the Wii U, don't have Wii U's anymore or traded them for the switch. Will be interesting to see which system sells more copies instead of speculate though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm looking to take my Switch on the tube a lot, mainly in my pocket, so a case isn't really what I need, so much as a screen cover.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-M...ch+hybrid+cover

This looks interesting, but is a) cheap and b) has no reviews so I'm suspicious. Anyone know if it's worth my cash?

• Locked thread