Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Retcon's not a real word btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Oh, yeah, I've got him on ignore so I didn't see that post.

He's mis-using "retcon", though. Like, the way he's using it, isn't what the word means.
Well except for his bit about Prometheus retconning the AvP movies, that's (ambiguously) accurate.

But the movies do explicitly acknowledge that each other took place. Just because everyone dies at the start of Alien3 and Ripley essentially accomplished nothing in Aliens doesn't mean the narrative didn't occur. All those events took place, it just led to a point where it ultimately didn't matter. The egg(s) on the Sulaco that put the events of Alien3 in motion wouldn't have been there were it not for the events of the prior movie.

Saying that things "didn't happen" just because it's a zero-sum equation or because the outcome "didn't matter" is a pretty wacky false equivocation. By that logic, most noir stories "didn't happen" because the protagonist ends up no better or worse than when they started.

But the filmmakers didn't make a sequel to the noir that starts from "nothing that happened in the first film truly matters"--the explicit angle of all subsequent alien movies after Aliens. References and continuity are two different things.

It is important also to recognize forces outside the mythical realm of pure artistry. The seeds of Alien: Resurrection, an abrupt turnaround from Alien 3 in all the ways that matter, are planted in Alien 3 being a commercial failure and a noticeably incomplete movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dont even fink about it posted:

But the filmmakers didn't make a sequel to the noir that starts from "nothing that happened in the first film truly matters"--the explicit angle of all subsequent alien movies after Aliens. References and continuity are two different things.

It is important also to recognize forces outside the mythical realm of pure artistry. The seeds of Alien: Resurrection, an abrupt turnaround from Alien 3 in all the ways that matter, are planted in Alien 3 being a commercial failure and a noticeably incomplete movie.
Actually references are what establish continuity, I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise. An acknowledgement of prior events is how humans record and recognize history (aka continuity).

Now if you're talking "canon", then yes canon and continuity are not synonyms - I've argued that for quite a while.

Also Alien3 was far from a commercial failure. The opposite, in fact - it made $150mil, triple its budget. On a strictly budget-to-boxoffice ratio, it was more successful than Resurrection.

I agree that the theatrical cut was incomplete, though.

Edit-- forgot a 0 up there!

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2017

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

References and nods and callbacks and retcons and continuity and canon and cinematic universes and expanded universes and tie-ins and easter eggs and

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

Retcon's not a real word btw

But btw is.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

UmOk posted:

But btw is.

Sorry about your post

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

butts this wide

(my point was that xeno's definition is arbitrary as it's a made up term/abbreviation used by nerds to reconcile whatever logic problems they perceive in their media timeline).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 7, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Elysium was good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

butts this wide

(my point was that xeno's definition is arbitrary as it's a made up term used by nerds to reconcile whatever logic problems they perceive in their media timeline).
Not really, "retroactive continuity" has been a well defined term for decades. It's a very common storytelling device, and the Alien series is chock-full of retcons big and small. The Alien Queen concept is a retcon, so is the Engineers being giant albino humans, or the existence of the eggs on the Sulaco.

Now "dongle", that's a made-up word. Just look at it. Dongle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love "alien lore" but hate "extended universe" borderline fan-fiction level writing so I exist in a state of constant self-hate.
Been "ejoying" this youtube channel which is all about ridiculous alien EU and movie lore in the worst ways https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UChWMlORreKN0UmokKOdFq-g

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hmmm. Ellen Ripley is a retcon.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Not really, "retroactive continuity" has been a well defined term for decades. It's a very common storytelling device, and the Alien series is chock-full of retcons big and small. The Alien Queen concept is a retcon, so is the Engineers being giant albino humans, or the existence of the eggs on the Sulaco.

Now "dongle", that's a made-up word. Just look at it. Dongle.

You're missing the point. Retcon can still refer to omission of details and still mean whatever it is fans think it means. Your arbitrary definition means nothing as it's a sliding scale word used for sliding scale plot devices.

This thing that wasn't real or matters before exists and matters now. This plot device that was never mentioned before is now mentioned here. That's a retcon. There's nothing that says SMG's interpretation is any less valid than yours, except your post.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

You're missing the point. Retcon can still refer to omission of details and still mean whatever it is fans think it means. Your arbitrary definition means nothing as it's a sliding scale word used for sliding scale plot devices.

This thing that wasn't real or matters before exists and matters now. This plot device that was never mentioned before is now mentioned here. That's a retcon. There's nothing that says SMG's interpretation is any less valid than yours, except your post.
My mistake, I misunderstood SMG's point to mean 'Aliens' retcons 'Alien' (as an example) out of existence, which is what dont even fink about it was claiming Resurrection does to Alien3, which is a bizarre claim to make.

Related to SMG's earlier point, it is interesting that nothing really ever comes of Special Order 937 at Ripley's debriefing. You'd think she'd bring up a "crew expendable" order when she's in a room full of government officials grilling her on why the Nostromo got destroyed.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Aliens is good because I saw it and liked it before I got on the internet
Alien 5 is bad because it hasn't happened yet and I'm on the net now

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

You should get off the Internet when you watch Alien 5 so you'll enjoy it. My wife is always on the internet when we're watching things and it makes her miss stuff.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Elysium has a lot of good ideas and the production design is on point but it feels a bit undercooked (I think Blomkamp himself has said as much). It's the little stuff--like why did the Elysium station look like it could house about a thousand people max? William Fichtner is just able to write a program that lets him take over the whole kit and kaboodle because Jodie Foster asks him to? Why didn't he just do that before--or why didn't someone else? Is Fichtner a genius programmer? And I like Matt Damon but I'm not a huge fan of his choices in it--he's sort of just playing loquacious Matt Damon, when the role really calls for, well, Eminem or something like that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
More like Danny Trejo would of wrecked the role.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

porfiria posted:

when the role really calls for, well, Eminem or something like that.

The role originally called for Ninja from Die Antwoord. He turned it down because he wanted to be known for his music and a major SF epic would overshadow that. So yeah, Eminem or something like that.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Elysium and Chappie were good, you weenies. Better than District 9, even.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

mllaneza posted:

The role originally called for Ninja from Die Antwoord. He turned it down because he wanted to be known for his music and a major SF epic would overshadow that. So yeah, Eminem or something like that.

Oh really? I had read Blompkamp wanted Eminem himself. Anyway, it's not like you actually need someone with a, uh, difficult background, but that's the energy I think the part called for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chappie is def Blomkamp's best film.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
In a Blomkamp alien film, Sharlto Copley would be the titular sentient talking alien.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Die Antwoord is the reason I haven't seen Chappie. I hope David Fincher kills them offscreen during his remake's prologue.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Your opinion of Die Antwoord's schtick is probably a big factor in your enjoyment of Chappie. I like them, so I liked Chappie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

K. Waste posted:

the worst opinion

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ozmunkeh posted:

Die Antwoord is the reason I haven't seen Chappie.

A wise choice, if you don't like them you'll loving HATE them after that film.

K. Waste posted:

I know CineD deliberately trolls sometimes but this is too obvious, even for here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I never even heard of them before that movie, but they were fine.

America stole the show in Chappie anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

America was ripped in half by a radical Christian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

America is also born again in Chappie (note the gesture Chappie makes after he forgives Hugh Jackman).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Even thought I think South Africans are nicer people than just regular British people, Chappie was not that good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I thought District 9 was ok. I don't get why people think Blomkamp is a genius because of it.

His other movies seem to be him retreading his steps with an increasing lack of impact.

Blomkamp is the M. Night Shyamalan of Science Fiction.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

SirDrone posted:

In a Blomkamp alien film, Sharlto Copley would be the titular sentient talking alien.

Wasn't one of the old Kenner Alien toys an undercover dude dressed as an alien?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wasn't one of the old Kenner Alien toys an undercover dude dressed as an alien?
Yes, "ATAX". He had snap-on bits that made him look like an Alien Queen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, "ATAX". He had snap-on bits that made him look like an Alien Queen.
Wow. I distinctly remember that live action bit with the flying queen but nothing about ATAX. Still weird to me that they made toys for a 10 year old R-rated movie.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Chappie and Elysium are dope as gently caress and make District 9 seem just okay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

Wow. I distinctly remember that live action bit with the flying queen but nothing about ATAX. Still weird to me that they made toys for a 10 year old R-rated movie.
The early 90s were a golden age for totally crazy toys if you were a kid back then. Robocop, Aliens, Predator, Terminator 2, all of those got :krad: toys with insane action features and firing missiles that could put your eye out.

The Aliens toys were intended as part of a tie-in for a larger multimedia project called "Operation Aliens", which would have centered around a Saturday morning cartoon. Apparently the show got far enough along that the pilot episode got animated before it got scrapped (and you can find screen caps of it online, but I've never seen full-blown animation clips). But they made a ton of merchandise for it that actually made it to store shelves - party favors, school supplies, lunch boxes, a board game, and the aforementioned toys. It even gets a brief shout out in an AvP trading card set that came out around that time.

I don't think the show planned on having Predators, I'm pretty sure the cartoon had been scrapped by the time the Predator toyline started rolling out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hey here's some more just for you!

Paxton related.

Goddamn this is good stuff. RIP Bill.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This mostly (video but a lot of it us transcripted under):
http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig

He says outright that he wanted to do it just to erase Alien 3 and have the story go the way he thinks it should have after Aliens. This leaves me torn because I love everything he's directed A LOT, and the politics we see in his movies and his ability to mix fun action into situations that are pretty hosed up and hit close to home for many makes him like, an ideal person to direct an Alien flick. Like I'd kill for a Blomkamp Alien movie where he can go really crazy with it abd of course hope that's what happens. Just from what little information exists I'm not optimistic he had much more of a concept for it than that.

A little bit of a derail, but I recently watched most of Chappie, and I've never seen a main character supposed to elicit sympathy (Chappie's "Daddy") that I wanted to see get murdered more. OMG he was unlikeable, and everytime he managed to not I would groan. Why did he focus so much on such easily seen unlikeable leads (slow mo on his near death, and I'm rooting for the bad guys). What a misstroke, and a resulting hard movie to watch.

edit: I see all the convo about it last page. Woops.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 7, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Chappie and Elysium are dope as gently caress and make District 9 seem just okay.

Truest post on the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's weird that in the 80's and 90's it was assumed kids were watching R rated movies, of course they were. So why not have cool toys for kids?
I guess nothing has changed except now those cool toys are more expensive and sold as collectibles for manchildrens.