Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Quizzlefish posted:

Fresh Prince of Bel Air when his dad doesn't show up is the ultimate tear jerker, followed closely by the scene where they sleep in the public toilet in the Pursuit of Happyness. Maybe I just love Will Smith (I do).

I need some help guys. I'm a Blazers fan and I have league pass. But watching Portland has been excruciating this season. Who should I get behind and watch this year?

Denver's fun and you can root for Plumdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

the spurs, obviously.

they're cool, they're fun this year
Absolutely not.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The only SW Division team I can ever root for in good conscience is the Grizzlies.

gently caress off Texas professional sports teams.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hahah. Seconding Denver, learn to love Jokic

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

why not?

they're a quality team with a history of self-made success, good team culture, cool players with great stories, and none of the bullshit hype.

what's not to love?

they're too good at running a professional basketball organization?

just lol

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They're slow paced and defensive minded, they've won a billion times already, their star player's schtick is that he has no personality, which comes after 20 years of their previous star's schtick being that he's boring, and who the gently caress cares about LaMarcus Aldridge?

RaySmuckles posted:

they're a quality team with a history of self-made success, good team culture, cool players with great stories, and none of the bullshit hype.
You sound like you're describing a financial services company.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Did some actual look up of Pelican stats since the All-Star break/Cousins trade.

%FGA Open (defender 4-6 feet away): 28.2% (13th best, just behind the Spurs); 23.6 open fga p/gm
FG% on Open shots: 32.7% (worst, by far)
eFG% on Open shots: 38.5% (worst, by far)

%FGA Wide Open (defender 6+ feet away): 20.5% (tied for 8th with the Spurs); 17.1 wide open fga p/gm
FG% on Wide Open shots: 35.0% (worst)
eFG% on Wide Open shots: 46.3% (tied for worst with Clippers)

So, yeah. They are getting a healthy amount of open looks, but aren't knocking them down. Pulled stats from stats.nba.com.

They are getting 41 shots p/gm that are basically uncontested and they are making 14 of them. That's roughly 34%.

Cousins is the third best 3pt shooter for the Pels since the break at a blistering 28.6%. Moore is at 60.0% and Cunningham at 36.4%.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

You sound like you're describing a financial services company.

quality basketball that you can trust

guaranteed returns on the playoffs

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They're slow paced and defensive minded, they've won a billion times already, their star player's schtick is that he has no personality, which comes after 20 years of their previous star's schtick being that he's boring, and who the gently caress cares about LaMarcus Aldridge?

defense is literally 1/2 of the entire game. being good at defense shouldn't be considered a negative quality, and they also have a top 5 offense so its not like they're only playing defense. they play both and they play both well.

winning a billion times already? twice in the last 10 years isn't exactly "winning a billion times." on the other hand they preform well consistently which it think is a good thing.

their star player's schtick is that he's an MVP candidate who is also the reigning 2xDPOY carrying a solidly mediocre team to 2 games back from the superest super team ever created. and he does it on both ends of the floor which is something virtually none of the other front runners can say. the guy is a top 3 player in the league right now.

this is on the back of tim duncan, an obvious top 10 player of all time. sorry if you think that's boring, i thought it was awesome.

its weird that when considering basketball teams you seem to be far more concerned with what the players are doing out of the game than what they're doing in it.

but, hey, its whatever! support who you want and sports hate who you want. its all gravy under the bridge.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 7, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

the spurs, obviously.

they're cool, they're fun this year, and their games are often heart attacking inducingly close which alway makes for a "good" time.

C'mon man the Spurs have several Hall of Famers and like 7,000 combined Rings on the team right now. Their all-star ratio is off the charts even if you don't count LaMarc Gasoldridge as 2.

Also now that Durant is out I'm seein' a strong Kawhi Leonard MVP push, helped out by him becoming Jordan:
https://streamable.com/n89xj
https://streamable.com/4lihr

RaySmuckles posted:

defense is literally 1/2 of the entire game.

yeah the boring half

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 7, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao chill the gently caress out, the guy doesn't want to root for the Spurs.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Defense is for nerds

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

C'mon man the Spurs have several Hall of Famers and like 7,000 combined Rings on the team right now. Their all-star ratio is off the charts even if you don't count LaMarc Gasoldridge as 2.

yeah the boring half

the spurs had 1 all-star this year.

washed up hall of famers are kinda nice, but they're not exactly playing like hall of famers right now. not even like all stars! look, i love the team, i think they're great fun, but "hall of famers" and combined rings doesn't exactly paint an honest portrait of old stars in the twilights of their careers.

i tend to think of defense as the part where you don't pull your hair out because your team is letting the other make up every shot you just made. good defense leads to less stress and more enjoyment. good defense makes good offense more enjoyable because the offenses sticks.

i say this as a fan of a team who's last 4 games were insane last play/OT games and who have a history of blowing huge leads all season.

defense is cool and not boring. i don't understand why people think this.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lmao chill the gently caress out, the guy doesn't want to root for the Spurs.

i'm not "freaking out, man" just talking basketball. everything's totally cool.

also, the guy i'm talking to isn't the guy who asked who to root for.

seriously, type more than 6 words and everyone thinks you're having a meltdown.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 7, 2017

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Root for the Raptors, we are both fun and often bad, but also often good, but only by a little. We used to play no defense but now we play JUST ENOUGH defense to not be terrible but also not boring.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
LMA is not in the twighlight of his career, he's still really good.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

local man doesn't get why people don't like his sports team, more at 11

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lockback posted:

LMA is not in the twighlight of his career, he's still really good.

Even Pau is still excellent offensively, he just no longer gives a solitary poo poo about defence. Which is why he is perfect in his current role spearheading the second unit.

e: since coming back from injury in his new second unit role, his averages are 14.7 ppg, 7.5 rebs on .634 TS% in 25 mpg

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 7, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

yeah the boring half

That's why everyone loved the All-Star game, in which zero defense was played.

BTW go for the Wolves, they won't win much but Rubio is dreamy.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

Even Pau is still excellent offensively, he just no longer gives a solitary poo poo about defence. Which is why he is perfect in his current role spearheading the second unit.

its been really fun having pau back. the guy can do some really cool stuff on the offense end. and yes he's a bad defender, but he's been getting a couple blocks the last few games, so that's cool

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Melo a hall of fame candidate?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

that's a good question!

my guess is he'll get in because he was so famous/hyped during his career, but i don't necessarily think he deserves it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Without Melo the USA would have fewer Olympic gold medals, he absolutely deserves it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The basketball HoF is relatively easy to get into and he is famous enough and he scored enough

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Someone here compared his career to Alex English a while back. Plenty of volume scorers who never won in the Hall.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RaySmuckles posted:

that's a good question!

my guess is he'll get in because he was so famous/hyped during his career, but i don't necessarily think he deserves it

Bruh. Look at the names in the Basketball Hall of Fame. Carmelo is a easy no doubter first ballot hall of famer. Almost off the strength of his college and Olympic play alone.

Much less his scoring titles all pro's and all star appearances.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

He'll get in easily.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Bucks have both Giannis and Gus Johnson.

Hmm thanks for all the good suggestions guys. I'm not really interested in watching another bad non-playoff team / 8 seed and I've seen enough lamarcus Aldridge long range 2s in my time already.

Giannis it is. Let's see if he's as fun as the highlight videos suggest.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nachos posted:

Plenty of room on this heat bandwagon baby

Remember when Dion rejected OKC's offer and everyone lolled at Dion for being a cluck and ending up signing with Miami for a couple mil?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Quizzlefish posted:

Hmm thanks for all the good suggestions guys. I'm not really interested in watching another bad non-playoff team / 8 seed and I've seen enough lamarcus Aldridge long range 2s in my time already.

Giannis it is. Let's see if he's as fun as the highlight videos suggest.

The Bucks don't fit your first criteria, and you will hate the Bucks because Jason Kidd hates having consistent line-ups.

If you want to watch a streaking team,the Wizards have had the best record in the east since the new year and they have no major injuries unlike most of the other teams.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

The Bucks don't fit your first criteria, and you will hate the Bucks because Jason Kidd hates having consistent line-ups.

If you want to watch a streaking team,the Wizards have had the best record in the east since the new year and they have no major injuries unlike most of the other teams.

wizards are a good choice.

hard nosed team, too.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

I need some help guys. I'm a Blazers fan and I have league pass. But watching Portland has been excruciating this season. Who should I get behind and watch this year?

I feel like I could have posted this. Nurkic has made it fun to watch lately though.

I was watching Sacramento because Cousins, but now it's like "why bother" so now I guess I'll be watching New Orleans or the lovely Bulls.

Or any team with a white dude who does nothing but shoot threes (Joe Ingles, Luke Babbitt, Doug McDermott, etc)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Jason Kidd is also a wifebeating drunk driver, so there's that.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Theres this young scrappy team called The Golden State Warriors too

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Watch the cavs just for LeBron and Kyries transcendent offensive skills

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Best bandwagon playoff team is probably OKC imo followed by the Wizards.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol kawhi got "randomly selected" for a drug test after last night's game

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

nothing but diesel oil and hydraulic fluid.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MVPs should score more than 15 points in the ASG

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shear Modulus posted:

People will never understand that random selection means you can be selected at any time, not that they're drawing your name out of a hat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just want to chime in and laugh at the lack of awareness that's required to suggest that a Portland fan root for the team LMA ran off to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I just want to chime in and laugh at the lack of awareness that's required to suggest that a Portland fan root for the team LMA ran off to.

lol, that's a good point

touche

• Locked thread