Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As per usual, Verizon publishes more info than Google.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/google-pixel-update/

They mention Bluetooth fixes for Honda Carkits, but I'm hoping that translates to more devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They mention Bluetooth fixes for Honda Carkits, but I'm hoping that translates to more devices.

I don't think that's fair, there's a TON of insanely detailed info on the security update here: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2017-03-01.html

Just yeah, not mentioning the bluetooth thing on the Google page.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Cheers. Really annoying that everywhere seems contractually obligated to say Pixel, phone by Google.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't think that's fair, there's a TON of insanely detailed info on the security update here: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2017-03-01.html

Just yeah, not mentioning the bluetooth thing on the Google page.

The problem is Google doesn't seem to understand there's a middle ground between just saying "bug fixes and security updates" and a massive list of CVE and bugtracker reports.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The problem is Google doesn't seem to understand there's a middle ground between just saying "bug fixes and security updates" and a massive list of CVE and bugtracker reports.

Yeah fair, I'm a giant infosec turbonerd so Google's notes are great for me, but I totally agree a middle ground would be nice.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, you're right, once you ask a question all conversation should be aimed at what you want to know until your question is answered...

...I was specifically responding to those two posts, which were offering suggestions. Like, that's why I quoted them. The only reason I bothered saying anything is because it seems to get suggested every time someone brings up smart lock, but it seems like some people are misunderstanding the thing people are trying to do in the first place.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's not that there is a misunderstanding, it's that there is a limited amount of ways to accomplish what you want

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fair enough, I'm not above admitting I'm the dumb one in this scenario.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone ever run into an issue where their GPS thinks they're not where they really are? I'm sitting at my desk, and the GPS thinks I'm either about 5 km away or 50km away, switching between the 3 locations (and only those 3) seemingly at random.

I've never run into anything like this before and have tried different apps, restarting the phone, using wifi, turning GPS on/off and nothing seems to work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

It's not that there is a misunderstanding, it's that there is a limited amount of ways to accomplish what you want

It's this. Remember that he stated up the thread that even if Smart Lock worked the way it's intended to, he still wasn't happy he'd have to swipe to unlock the device rather than just hit the power button and have it ready to go.

There's only two ways he'll be happy:

1) Get someone with a compatible device to install the app he wishes he'd never uninstalled and pull it for him, or

2) Buy a device that unlocks with a fingerprint

Those are the only two solutions to his problem that will result in his satisfaction with the result. All of the different built-in unlock things suck (he's not wrong there) and they all exist solely to mitigate how terrible it is to have a phone without a fingerprint sensor. The only one that works consistently is a trusted device which is why I suggested it. It's not going to be something he's happy with but it's a better option than trying to make a trusted location work well.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone ever run into an issue where their GPS thinks they're not where they really are? I'm sitting at my desk, and the GPS thinks I'm either about 5 km away or 50km away, switching between the 3 locations (and only those 3) seemingly at random.

I've never run into anything like this before and have tried different apps, restarting the phone, using wifi, turning GPS on/off and nothing seems to work.

You can report the issue in Google Maps and hope that it eventually gets fixed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

It's this. Remember that he stated up the thread that even if Smart Lock worked the way it's intended to, he still wasn't happy he'd have to swipe to unlock the device rather than just hit the power button and have it ready to go.

I somehow completely missed this.

I'm the one that can't read, my bad.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been following this thread since the exploding Samsung stuff in September, and I still don't get why people in this thread rave about fingerprint sensors? I've had my 6P for about three and a half months now and I've never even touched the thing.

Just seems like an unnecessary security risk for a very slight bit of convenience. Punching in my pin takes less than five seconds as is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I've been following this thread since the exploding Samsung stuff in September, and I still don't get why people in this thread rave about fingerprint sensors? I've had my 6P for about three and a half months now and I've never even touched the thing.

Just seems like an unnecessary security risk for a very slight bit of convenience. Punching in my pin takes less than five seconds as is.

Source your quotes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

How are you logging into your password locker? You aren't still typing in a 20+ character, mixed case+symbols password every time you log into your banking app, are you?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ragingsheep posted:

You can report the issue in Google Maps and hope that it eventually gets fixed.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LastInLine posted:

How are you logging into your password locker? You aren't still typing in a 20+ character, mixed case+symbols password every time you log into your banking app, are you?

I... type in my 25 character passphrase? Maybe leave it on QuickUnlock (enter last three characters) if I absolutely need to leave the database semi-open?

Also, I don't use a banking app, I just check manually on my desktop.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You're absolutely right, but I'm starting to come around to the unlocked swipe. It's the unlock 150 miles from home I'm struggling a bit more with at the moment. I'll muddle through, somehow.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I... type in my 25 character passphrase? Maybe leave it on QuickUnlock (enter last three characters) if I absolutely need to leave the database semi-open?

Also, I don't use a banking app, I just check manually on my desktop.

You should see what happened the last time someone said this

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PerrineClostermann posted:

You should see what happened the last time someone said this

Link please.

No really, I'm truly mystified why my non-changeable fingers are considered a better security code than a very changeable pin number or pattern or whatever.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I got probated? Dunno, like three or four guys started railing on me, it's not a popular opinion to hold.

That said I do like it for unlocking the phone itself, just not for KeePass and similar

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Link please.

No really, I'm truly mystified why my non-changeable fingers are considered a better security code than a very changeable pin number or pattern or whatever.

They're massively convenient and much faster and easier than entering a pin or password. No one has said or claimed they're more secure, you're being extremely silly and closeminded. Don't use it for your bank account, but use it to unlock your phone yes.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I think I got probated? Dunno, like three or four guys started railing on me, it's not a popular opinion to hold.

That said I do like it for unlocking the phone itself, just not for KeePass and similar

Well, that answers my question for why it never seemed to come up while I was lurking. Right, consider the subject dropped.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Away all Goats posted:

I had something like this happen at my new apartment in DC after I moved from Florida. When I was connected to my home wifi it thought I was back in Florida. I assume because my wifi network was mapped by Google as being a "Florida" one. It fixed itself after a week or so.

Maybe try disconnecting from any wifi and see if the problem disappears?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

They're massively convenient and much faster and easier than entering a pin or password. No one has said or claimed they're more secure, you're being extremely silly and closeminded. Don't use it for your bank account, but use it to unlock your phone yes.

This. A fingerprint reader is absolutely less secure than a good passphrase. The question is is it less secure enough to justify typing in a lengthy passphrase every time you want to check something on your phone, and for most people the answer to that is "absolutely not." Hell, for a lot of people it's actually an increase in overall security because they're more likely to back it with a real passphrase when they'd otherwise be using a 4 digit PIN or 4 point pattern or even just swipe to unlock, and they're probably more likely to hide lockscreen notifications as well.

If your threat model includes actors with access to your fingerprint, the means to spoof it (or somehow use your own fingers in a scenario where they couldn't also just rubber-hose cryptanalysis your passphrase out of you*), and physical access to your phone while it's turned on then keep on trucking. But, you might want to reevaluate whether that's really the case, especially if you really are taking five seconds everytime you look at your phone. That adds up unless you're only unlocking your phone a few times a day.

*The last time this subject came up someone mentioned little kids or an untrustworthy family member or housemate using your finger to unlock your phone while you sleep. That's a legit threat for some people.

I don't use it for keep rear end either, but that's mostly because I don't unlock my KeePass vault nearly as often as I unlock my phone, plus there's quickunlock if I'm going to need a bunch of things out of it over a short period.

Theris fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 7, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nitrousoxide posted:

I had something like this happen at my new apartment in DC after I moved from Florida. When I was connected to my home wifi it thought I was back in Florida. I assume because my wifi network was mapped by Google as being a "Florida" one. It fixed itself after a week or so.

Maybe try disconnecting from any wifi and see if the problem disappears?

It still happens even if I have wifi turned off. What's really weird is that when I am out of range of the wifi there is no problem. But if I am in range of the router, regardless if I am connected to the wifi or not, it causes my location to jump.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

It still happens even if I have wifi turned off. What's really weird is that when I am out of range of the wifi there is no problem. But if I am in range of the router, regardless if I am connected to the wifi or not, it causes my location to jump.

I think this is because WiFi isn't completely deactivated, it just isn't used for data transfer. The location services sees a network it has previously located and uses that information to locate you - poorly. You can try deleting the network (or changing the SSID perhaps?) and see if that changes anything.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ola posted:

I think this is because WiFi isn't completely deactivated, it just isn't used for data transfer. The location services sees a network it has previously located and uses that information to locate you - poorly. You can try deleting the network (or changing the SSID perhaps?) and see if that changes anything.

I tried both deleting the network and changing the name and no such luck. I did try unplugging the router and it worked flawlessly during the time it was off. Literally the exact second I plugged in the router my location jumped again. It didn't even wait for the network to come back online.

At least we narrowed the problem down a bit, thanks for the help.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I tried both deleting the network and changing the name and no such luck. I did try unplugging the router and it worked flawlessly during the time it was off. Literally the exact second I plugged in the router my location jumped again. It didn't even wait for the network to come back online.

At least we narrowed the problem down a bit, thanks for the help.

Settings > Location > Three dot menu > Scanning > Wi-Fi Scanning, disable that for a while

Google just has the router location wrong for now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Location > Three dot menu > Scanning > Wi-Fi Scanning, disable that for a while

Google just has the router location wrong for now.

That seems to have completely solved the jumping around! Thanks to you and all that helped.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You'll eventually want to turn that back on, it really helps with location accuracy when you're out and about but obviously until Google finds out where your router is you're going to have to live without it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Link please.

No one thinks they're more secure they think they're massively more convenient for a small amount less security.

IIRC, You got probated because you were constantly saying objectively wrong things about the subject. Not for discussing the subject itself.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said, an unpopular opinion. There's no question that fingerprint scanners can be defeated and represent a security weakpoint compared to typing in a password.

But that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Like I said, an unpopular opinion. There's no question that fingerprint scanners can be defeated and represent a security weakpoint compared to typing in a password.

Please show me where someone has claimed they are just as secure or more secure. Literally no one is doing that. You were probated and continue to be shot down because you spout off bullshit. Fingerprint scanners are about the insane convenience factor that's worth the tradeoff for the vast majority of people. If you have a job or do stuff where you're at risk of having your finger sliced off and phone stolen, okay maybe don't use it. But don't be ridiculous either.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thanks for the info! If I'm targeted by state actors I'll be sure to keep that in mind. If I'm not in that kind of danger, I'll just keep using fingerprint sensors and password managers because digital hygiene is way more important than ~*OPSEC*~ for 99.999999% of people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Was literally anyone saying it wasn't?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This is why there needs to be less Probations and more Bans / Permabans. PerrineClostermann's entire gimmick is saying really dumb poo poo about topics he/she knows nothing about.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

This is why there needs to be less Probations and more Bans / Permabans. PerrineClostermann's entire gimmick is saying really dumb poo poo about topics he/she knows nothing about.

He/she is flatout making poo poo up too to justify weird dumb viewpoints, like no one ever anywhere said fingerprints are more secure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

I know right, this forum needs to start banning people for

quote:

saying really dumb poo poo about topics he/she knows nothing about.

How about no, just ignore a poster you don't like, SAF IYG is not your college safe space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What the forum really needs is lots of people backseat moderating in an Android thread.